NATION

PASSWORD

What would God have to do to convince YOU of His existence?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Wed May 29, 2019 8:02 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Jazeera wrote:Admit that he doesn't exist

So God would convince you that He's real, by telling you He's not real?

What is this, opposite day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmpP73-SHPQ
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed May 29, 2019 8:47 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

So God would convince you that He's real, by telling you He's not real?

What is this, opposite day?

It's just a normal day on NSG.

What can I, Humble Atheist Poster, do to show what a big time logic guy I am?
*Sees thread with a hypothetical where God exists and can prove its existence*
"There is no God! Ha!"
That'll show em!
Insert trite farewell here

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu May 30, 2019 12:59 am

Ending all the bigotry and hate purportedly carried out in his name would be a good start.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu May 30, 2019 5:59 am

I am 100% convinced of the existence and benevolence of God, for you see, Strawberries and Cream M&Ms exist. I am also convinced of the existence of Satan, for I discovered the S&C M&Ms during lent
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu May 30, 2019 6:20 am

Australian rePublic wrote:I am 100% convinced of the existence and benevolence of God, for you see, Strawberries and Cream M&Ms exist.

Counterpoint: wasps, ticks, threadworms and mosquitoes exist.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Korhal IVV
Senator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Thu May 30, 2019 6:44 am

Wow, an oxymoron bigger than the entire Milky Way Galaxy has appeared.
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency
This nation does reflect my real-life beliefs.
My vocabulary is stranger than a Tzeentchian sorceror. Bare with me.

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Thu May 30, 2019 7:58 am

Salus Maior wrote:Sure, things can be tested. But not by you, you rely on other people to do that and trust in the results they provide for you.

Do you understand how peer review works? It isn't flawless by any means, but there's a lot more to publishing a scientific result than saying "I've checked this and you all have to trust me." Scientific knowledge is always provisional and always falsifiable - clear on what specific results would invalidate it. It involves an ongoing process of checking, challenging and refining.

Mountain Pygmies
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Mountain Pygmies » Thu May 30, 2019 8:05 am

To prove if he is god, he would have to self-destruct.

This actually creates a paradox. If he can't destroy himself(God), then he is not all-powerful(He can't destroy himself)and therefore is not god. If he can destroy himself, then he is also not all-powerful(He can be destroyed), which also means he is not God. Either answer means he is not god, at least in the Abrahamic sense.
Last edited by Mountain Pygmies on Thu May 30, 2019 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Thu May 30, 2019 8:09 am

Mountain Pygmies wrote:To prove if he is god, he would have to self-destruct.

This actually creates a paradox. If he can't destroy himself(a god), then he is not all-powerful(He can't destroy himself)and therefore is not god. If he can destroy himself, then he is also not all-powerful(He can be destroyed), which also means he is not a god.

God's abilities are limited by logic. He can't do something that' logically impossible (i.e. a logical paradox such as creating a stone he can't lift and then lifting it, or destroying himself). That's not really an argument against the existence of a Personal Allpowerful etc. god, but more a "gotcha" move, tbh, and I say this as an ardent misotheist.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Mountain Pygmies
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Mountain Pygmies » Thu May 30, 2019 8:13 am

North German Realm wrote:
Mountain Pygmies wrote:To prove if he is god, he would have to self-destruct.

This actually creates a paradox. If he can't destroy himself(a god), then he is not all-powerful(He can't destroy himself)and therefore is not god. If he can destroy himself, then he is also not all-powerful(He can be destroyed), which also means he is not a god.

God's abilities are limited by logic. He can't do something that' logically impossible (i.e. a logical paradox such as creating a stone he can't lift and then lifting it, or destroying himself). That's not really an argument against the existence of a Personal Allpowerful etc. god, but more a "gotcha" move, tbh, and I say this as an ardent misotheist.

I guess that's true.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu May 30, 2019 8:29 am

Uan aa Boa wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:Sure, things can be tested. But not by you, you rely on other people to do that and trust in the results they provide for you.

Do you understand how peer review works? It isn't flawless by any means, but there's a lot more to publishing a scientific result than saying "I've checked this and you all have to trust me." Scientific knowledge is always provisional and always falsifiable - clear on what specific results would invalidate it. It involves an ongoing process of checking, challenging and refining.

I'm well aware of how science works, I'm actually very pro-science and I enjoy studying it myself.

But my point is, you're not the peers, you're not the scientist are you? Therefore, you're trusting in them to provide the facts for you. You're relying on their revelation as it were.

Ultimately, all the knowledge you know you've gotten second-hand (or third-hand, or fourth-hand, etc.) and you put trust in that. So it seems pointless to accuse religion of being bad on that same premise (although, I think people can experience God in their own lives in one way or another by either practicing the faith themselves or by seeing others practice, and people attest both as being their "revelation" of God.).
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

New Legland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 21, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Legland » Thu May 30, 2019 8:35 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Uan aa Boa wrote:Do you understand how peer review works? It isn't flawless by any means, but there's a lot more to publishing a scientific result than saying "I've checked this and you all have to trust me." Scientific knowledge is always provisional and always falsifiable - clear on what specific results would invalidate it. It involves an ongoing process of checking, challenging and refining.

I'm well aware of how science works, I'm actually very pro-science and I enjoy studying it myself.

But my point is, you're not the peers, you're not the scientist are you? Therefore, you're trusting in them to provide the facts for you. You're relying on their revelation as it were.

Ultimately, all the knowledge you know you've gotten second-hand (or third-hand, or fourth-hand, etc.) and you put trust in that. So it seems pointless to accuse religion of being bad on that same premise (although, I think people can experience God in their own lives in one way or another by either practicing the faith themselves or by seeing others practice, and people attest both as being their "revelation" of God.).

Except all corroborated anecdotal evidence can prove is that people had those experiences, not whatever source it had. Unless someone creates an experiment to test whether these experiences are actual revelations, they aren't useful as evidence for a god.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu May 30, 2019 8:47 am

New Legland wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Except all corroborated anecdotal evidence can prove is that people had those experiences, not whatever source it had. Unless someone creates an experiment to test whether these experiences are actual revelations, they aren't useful as evidence for a god.

Those experiences which you've read in a book, or watched in a video, right? Again, second-hand knowledge.

I don't think you can prove God's existence using the scientific method.

But then again I don't believe (as useful as it is), that the scientific method can reveal all true things.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Thu May 30, 2019 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

New Legland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 21, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Legland » Thu May 30, 2019 8:56 am

Salus Maior wrote:
New Legland wrote:Except all corroborated anecdotal evidence can prove is that people had those experiences, not whatever source it had. Unless someone creates an experiment to test whether these experiences are actual revelations, they aren't useful as evidence for a god.

Those experiences which you've read in a book, or watched in a video, right? Again, second-hand knowledge.

Okay? I wasn't denying that.

Salus Maior wrote:I don't think you can prove God's existence using the scientific method.

But then again I don't believe (as useful as it is), that the scientific method can reveal all true things.

Then how do you prove it? Just saying, "God spoke to me" or something along those lines simply isn't going to cut it.
Last edited by New Legland on Thu May 30, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu May 30, 2019 9:02 am

New Legland wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:I don't think you can prove God's existence using the scientific method.

Then how do you prove it? Just saying, "God spoke to me" or something along those lines simply isn't going to cut it.

I don't think you can prove it that way.

I think really the only way to experience God (short of Him revealing Himself to you a-la Paul on Damascus road) is through the sincere practice of faith (although I don't think that's the only way, I've heard plenty of people, even previously hardline atheists/antitheists come to faith in a lot of different ways. This particular way I'm mentioning is only how I've come to have faith). It's something that can only come to you, as it were. It's hard to explain, but then again we are talking about the transcendental.

Rhine Confederacy
Civil Servant

Founded: May 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhine Confederacy » Thu May 30, 2019 9:05 am

To actually do something about people cutting down the trees and ruining the enviroment.
Last edited by Rhine Confederacy on Thu May 30, 2019 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu May 30, 2019 9:07 am

Rhine Confederacy wrote:To actually do something about people cutting down the trees and ruining the enviroment.

Why would He do that when His creation is perfectly able to do so with the information they have?

Rhine Confederacy
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhine Confederacy » Thu May 30, 2019 9:10 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Rhine Confederacy wrote:To actually do something about people cutting down the trees and ruining the enviroment.

Why would He do that when His creation is perfectly able to do so with the information they have?

Well, they are cutting down trees, and they could just stop and then the wildlife would be fine. They aren't doing that mcuh about global warming, ethier. The technology they already have is not relevant to cutting down the trees.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu May 30, 2019 9:13 am

Rhine Confederacy wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Well, they are cutting down trees, and they could just stop and then the wildlife would be fine. They aren't doing that mcuh about global warming, ethier. The technology they already have is not relevant to cutting down the trees.

Who's "they"?

Rhine Confederacy
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhine Confederacy » Thu May 30, 2019 9:16 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Rhine Confederacy wrote:Well, they are cutting down trees, and they could just stop and then the wildlife would be fine. They aren't doing that mcuh about global warming, ethier. The technology they already have is not relevant to cutting down the trees.

Who's "they"?

They is referring to the people in the first instance, and the goverment in the second. The third is His Creation.

Frostnia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Frostnia » Thu May 30, 2019 9:18 am

Australian rePublic wrote:I am 100% convinced of the existence and benevolence of God, for you see, Strawberries and Cream M&Ms exist. I am also convinced of the existence of Satan, for I discovered the S&C M&Ms during lent

I’m sorry, but those sound horrible
MT nation composed of people from every nation with a current Antarctic base. NS stats somewhat apply (despite them being generally stupid). I would use my factbooks but I'm lazy and haven't gotten around to it yet.

Antarctica is a pretty "cool" place.
I'm not sorry

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Thu May 30, 2019 9:19 am

Salus Maior wrote:

Divine magic would probably be significantly more effective than waiting for us to get our shit together.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu May 30, 2019 9:19 am

Rhine Confederacy wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
Who's "they"?

They is referring to the people in the first instance, and the goverment in the second. The third is His Creation.

All three of those are God's creation.

Rhine Confederacy
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhine Confederacy » Thu May 30, 2019 9:22 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Rhine Confederacy wrote:They is referring to the people in the first instance, and the goverment in the second. The third is His Creation.

All three of those are God's creation.

Maybe so, but what my grammar is like is irrelevant.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu May 30, 2019 9:25 am

Rhine Confederacy wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:All three of those are God's creation.

Maybe so, but what my grammar is like is irrelevant.

...what? :eyebrow:
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General