NATION

PASSWORD

What would God have to do to convince YOU of His existence?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Slongs
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 10, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Slongs » Mon May 27, 2019 1:08 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
A one-time trip to Idaho is a lot cheaper than a lifetime of medical care to manage a disability, and there could be charities to help pilgrims make the trip.

For most people there is no medical care. If you are a legless leper in the third world you will not be able to pay for the trip and will simply die after a short,miserable life.

As God intended.

That's just a part of God's plan. Praise Jesus :bow:
This is not a sig. It's a sandwich

Alterld Sha
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 20, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby Alterld Sha » Mon May 27, 2019 6:43 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Alterld Sha wrote:I find it difficult to believe that anyone actually believes in religion. I think that they are only pretending to believe in order to gain something worldly.

I'm unemployed, and if my current financial situation continues, I'm on the way to poverty. If I am faking it to gain something worldly, then I am doing it wrong. Also, at least here in Australia, anyway, there are so many things to fake if you wish to gain fame/money- fake being an SJW, fake being an environmentalist, fake being anything else supported by the left. Religion, or at the least, Christianity, wouldn't even make the top 100

It makes sense. You could have gambled that if you could convert enough people to believe in religion, they would no longer care as much about material affairs, and wealth would be redistributed through donations to the religions in exchange for social status in the form of virtue signalling, thereby allowing more money to be given charitably to the poor. So, if people were less selfish, there would be more money coming to the way of those at risk of not being able to compete. Would not being religious make you more employable? It may be that religion is not the cause of poverty, but that poverty is a cause of religion. People see their fellow human beings suffering in poverty and death, and the distress of this may cause them to be religious.

There may be a problem with how the question in the Original Post is posed.

Assume the deity exists.
Assume you do not believe the deity exists.
What could the deity do to convince you that the deity exists?

The answer is nothing if the existence is already assumed. There is a religion for which there is nothing that should make you disbelieve because believing no matter what is the aim of the game.

You must start by assuming that the deity is not believed to exist. A better approach to the answer would then be to ask:
What does it take for you to not believe the deity exists?

You may then attempt to remove that cause of disbelief.
However, removing the cause of disbelief would be necessary but not sufficient to cause belief.
For example, removing contradictions in the religion would be necessary to the path leading to belief, but would not in itself cause belief.

I think you wanted to assume that there are no reasons not to believe and ask what would then tip a person onto the side of believing.
From most of the answers, it would appear that people would start believing if it seemed to them from the appearances of the world that it would be unlikely that the deity could not exist, because of it being essential to explain some process.

I would be inclined to believe if an argument could persuade that the non-existence of the deity were impossible. I would still have doubts about the logical capabilities of the human mind for the argument though, so it is unlikely that I could ever truly believe completely.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon May 27, 2019 6:51 am

Bombadil wrote:
The arrogance is in thinking we're the special creation of an invisible god, that this entire universe is built for us.

And how exactly does the existence of God disprove aliens?

What, exactly, do you believe in? Just the idea of ‘some’ god or is there anything specific you’ll stick to? Given an unknowable god what are we to believe if we’re bringing aliens, not mentioned in the Bible, into the equation? Give me one claim you’re willing to stick to?
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Meikaii
Attaché

Founded: May 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Meikaii » Mon May 27, 2019 6:57 am

If God wants to prove his existence, here's the best way. In a single instant, strike down all those who purport to be Christian, Muslim, etc. but do not act in accordance with their values by clearly supernatural means. This way they show what their values are and whether we should give them any respect. Hopefully it would also eliminate those who use religion as a reason to deny basic rights to people.
Ashamed to be an American.
Saving up to escape. It's hard.
Trapped here against my will.
Love it or leave it?
Pay for it and I'll proudly leave.
It sucks having integrity and decency
When power doesn't.
{I rarely look at replies so enjoy shouting into the wind}

Volnaya Territoriya
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnaya Territoriya » Mon May 27, 2019 6:58 am

Nothing. According to my beliefs, if there is a God (assuming by "God" people mean a creator, not the hundreds of other definitions many people including myself use) he is not so petty as to go around bragging to his creations, and trying to "prove" his existence. As such, if I were to meet an entity claiming to be God, there is no chance I would believe him, no matter what he did.
Based on the real life nation called Free Territory. Since I am too lazy/procrastinating to do dispatches and info on it, here's the wikipedia article about it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Territory

New Legland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 21, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Legland » Mon May 27, 2019 7:01 am

New Legland wrote:I mean, if being wrong is destroying people, then yeah, I guess they absolutely demolished them.

I think that was supposed to sarcastic...

They have said that they support the oppression and imprisonment of homosexuals and their supporters. I would be very surprised if that was supposed to be sarcastic.
Last edited by New Legland on Mon May 27, 2019 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Legland
Chargé d'Affaires

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Legland » Mon May 27, 2019 7:46 am

New Legland wrote:Uh, I guess I would need something extraordinary that everyone can see to believe in any god is all I'm saying.

And what would that extraordinary thing be?

New Legland wrote:He'd probably have to pull something major off that could be witnessed by everyone in the world, since that would fix the unreliability of anecdotal evidence and remove any chance of it being mass hysteria or a coincidence. I'd also like an explanation for any scientific inaccuracies and contradictions in his holy text, depending on which god he is.

Fixing the link in the OP would also be nice.

Of course, not everyone would have to witness it, but it would definitely have to be a significant portion of the world population, with no bias to location or any sort of demographic. However, showing whatever it would be to everyone would definitely be more effective.

New Legland wrote:It doesn't matter if they have all the proof they need. What matters is how valid that proof is. Flat earthers have all the proof they need, yet they have none at all.

Yes, hence the question, what would you consider as valid proof?

If your answer is nothing, then, atheism is logically inconsistent to that, and the best that you can hope for is agnosticism

Good thing my answer isn't nothing.

UniversalCommons wrote:God does not need to convince me of anything. Cosmology, science, and physics are enough to show that there is an order underlying the universe in my opinion. It shows how small we are on a cosmic timescale where a million years is a small amount of time, we can barely understand the concept of deep time, or immense size of the universe we live in, or the possibilities that there are many different universes. We are tiny specks in a maelstrom. There is an arrogance where because of our own perceptions we cannot see our place in the larger scheme of things. There is a reason why many people do not name god, it is an assumption that we can understand even the meaning of the name. Even a remote understanding of these concepts on an experiential level is enough for many people to believe in god.

Order that is subjectively perceived is not good evidence, let alone proof, for anything. You may see order, but I see incredible chaos. Hell, the consensus in the scientific community is that the universe will "end" eventually, which seems out of character for a perfect and eternal god (if that describes the one you believe in).

Korhal IVV
Senator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Mon May 27, 2019 5:58 pm

Meikaii wrote:If God wants to prove his existence, here's the best way. In a single instant, strike down all those who purport to be Christian, Muslim, etc. but do not act in accordance with their values by clearly supernatural means. This way they show what their values are and whether we should give them any respect. Hopefully it would also eliminate those who use religion as a reason to deny basic rights to people.

Everyone will die if that happens.
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency
This nation does reflect my real-life beliefs.
My vocabulary is stranger than a Tzeentchian sorceror. Bare with me.

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

Beggnig
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Beggnig » Mon May 27, 2019 6:08 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:snip

Prediction: Nonbelievers will say some variant of "nothing" if they are honest, or set the bar so high that the words of Christ will come into sharp relief:

"And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

-Luke 16:31

New Legland
Chargé d'Affaires

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Legland » Mon May 27, 2019 6:25 pm

Beggnig wrote:

Prediction: Nonbelievers will say some variant of "nothing" if they are honest, or set the bar so high that the words of Christ will come into sharp relief:

"And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

Maybe the bar is only set so high so there can be no doubt of other explanations, but that's just me. And (almost) every atheist in this thread.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon May 27, 2019 6:53 pm

Do something that is cannot in any way be natural or a coincidence. Like setting the ocean on fire or using lighting to form a message in the ground or hell just sending messages to our head confirming he is real.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon May 27, 2019 7:07 pm

Beggnig wrote:

Well first you would have to show that the bible accurately portrays events, that is not a very high bar to set at all.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Mon May 27, 2019 7:12 pm

Beggnig wrote:

God is allegedly omnipotent and omniscient, he shouldn't have this much trouble coming to my house and poofing me a taco.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon May 27, 2019 7:20 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Beggnig wrote:Prediction: Nonbelievers will say some variant of "nothing" if they are honest, or set the bar so high that the words of Christ will come into sharp relief:

God is allegedly omnipotent and omniscient, he shouldn't have this much trouble coming to my house and poofing me a taco.

He gave you Taco Bell so you can get a taco anytime you want. 8)
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Mon May 27, 2019 7:24 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

He gave you Taco Bell so you can get a taco anytime you want. 8)

Taco Bell is really more proof of Satan.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Korwin
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 03, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Korwin » Mon May 27, 2019 7:40 pm

I already believe in higher powers, so this question is somewhat irrelevant to me.

I believe that a creator exists because it just makes sense. It's illogical to suggest that the Universe has no divine or spiritual purpose, and that it has no metaphysical mechanics. To that point, I believe firmly in the Dao, and in the Hindu / Buddhist concept of Karmatic justice. These things can be plainly viewed in history, and in nature. However, I don't believe that this should be the main focus of someone's life.

I believe in and pray to many spirits; powerful, eternal, personal, and loving beings that are with me at all times, influencing every aspect of my life, even from before I was born. You may call it "pagan polytheism," you may call it "superstition." I call it "just the way things are."
T H E
K O R W I N I A N
A N T H R O S T A T E

T E F

New Legland
Chargé d'Affaires

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Legland » Mon May 27, 2019 7:43 pm

Korwin wrote:I believe that a creator exists because it just makes sense. It's illogical to suggest that the Universe has no divine or spiritual purpose, and that it has no metaphysical mechanics.

Why?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon May 27, 2019 8:05 pm

Alterld Sha wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I'm unemployed, and if my current financial situation continues, I'm on the way to poverty. If I am faking it to gain something worldly, then I am doing it wrong. Also, at least here in Australia, anyway, there are so many things to fake if you wish to gain fame/money- fake being an SJW, fake being an environmentalist, fake being anything else supported by the left. Religion, or at the least, Christianity, wouldn't even make the top 100

It makes sense. You could have gambled that if you could convert enough people to believe in religion, they would no longer care as much about material affairs, and wealth would be redistributed through donations to the religions in exchange for social status in the form of virtue signalling, thereby allowing more money to be given charitably to the poor. So, if people were less selfish, there would be more money coming to the way of those at risk of not being able to compete. Would not being religious make you more employable? It may be that religion is not the cause of poverty, but that poverty is a cause of religion. People see their fellow human beings suffering in poverty and death, and the distress of this may cause them to be religious.

Assume the deity exists.

The answer is nothing if the existence is already assumed. There is a religion for which there is nothing that should make you disbelieve because believing no matter what is the aim of the game.

You must start by assuming that the deity is not believed to exist. A better approach to the answer would then be to ask:

However, removing the cause of disbelief would be necessary but not sufficient to cause belief.
For example, removing contradictions in the religion would be necessary to the path leading to belief, but would not in itself cause belief.

I think you wanted to assume that there are no reasons not to believe and ask what would then tip a person onto the side of believing.
From most of the answers, it would appear that people would start believing if it seemed to them from the appearances of the world that it would be unlikely that the deity could not exist, because of it being essential to explain some process.

I would be inclined to believe if an argument could persuade that the non-existence of the deity were impossible. I would still have doubts about the logical capabilities of the human mind for the argument though, so it is unlikely that I could ever truly believe completely.

Do I act like a bloody commie to you? Besides, there are better ways to go about being a commie too. Further, I've been trying to start a business for a while, and I've had bad luck after bad luck (to the point where there would have been a law suite if I could afford the legal fees and, and, unfortunately, there are only two states where LegalAid refuses to help with business matters, and I happen to live in one of them). Okay, so then answer me this. What about Christians in Muslim countries, what about Shias in Sunni countries practicing Taqui? They're actively persecuted. What benefit could a shia have for maintaining the Shia faith? I can understand not wanting to die as a reason to pretend to be Sunni, but why actually be Shia? Why hold onto your Christian faith if you're persecuted for your beliefs? If your beliefs are enough to kill you for them? Also I have dounted my faith, like, very much doubted my faith, and yet I still believe. My reasons for doing so are avaliable in the why do you believe in HP thread, or if you want, I could post them here
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon May 27, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon May 27, 2019 8:10 pm

Alterld Sha wrote:It makes sense. You could have gambled that if you could convert enough people to believe in religion, they would no longer care as much about material affairs, and wealth would be redistributed through donations to the religions in exchange for social status in the form of virtue signalling, thereby allowing more money to be given charitably to the poor. So, if people were less selfish, there would be more money coming to the way of those at risk of not being able to compete. Would not being religious make you more employable? It may be that religion is not the cause of poverty, but that poverty is a cause of religion. People see their fellow human beings suffering in poverty and death, and the distress of this may cause them to be religious.

Assume the deity exists.

Do I act like a bloody commie to you? Besides, there are better ways to go about being a commie too. Further, I've been trying to start a business for a while, and I've had bad luck after bad luck. Okay, so then answer me this. What about Christians in Muslim countries, what about Shias in Sunni countries practicing Taqui? They're actively persecuted. What benefit could a shia have for maintaining the Shia faith? I can understand not wanting to die as a reason to pretend to be Sunni, but why actually be Shia? Why hold onto your Christian faith if you're persecuted for your beliefs? If your beliefs are enough to kill you for them? Also I have dounted my faith, like, very much doubted my faith, and yet I still believe. My reasons for doing so are avaliable in the why do you believe in HP thread, or if you want, I could post them here

Are you positing that people keeping their faith in the face of persecution validates their faith?
Boy I should introduce you to some pagans.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon May 27, 2019 9:16 pm

Offer a game of skee ball.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Korhal IVV
Senator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Korhal IVV » Mon May 27, 2019 9:21 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Beggnig wrote:Prediction: Nonbelievers will say some variant of "nothing" if they are honest, or set the bar so high that the words of Christ will come into sharp relief:

What kind of God would He be if He feels obliged by you to give a taco?
ABTH Music Education ~ AB Journalism ~ RPer ~ Keyboard Warrior ~ Futurist ~ INTJ

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
Supports: Christianity, economic development, democracy, common sense, vaccines, space colonization, and health programs
Against: Adding 100 genders, Gay marriage in a church, heresy, Nazism, abortion for no good reason, anti-vaxxers, SJW liberals, and indecency
This nation does reflect my real-life beliefs.
My vocabulary is stranger than a Tzeentchian sorceror. Bare with me.

"Whatever a person may be like, we must still love them because we love God." ~ John Calvin

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008

Postby The Rich Port » Mon May 27, 2019 9:25 pm

Korhal IVV wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

What kind of God would He be if He feels obliged by you to give a taco?

Gee, I dunno, how about marginally not shitty and uncool?

Should I start worshiping my friends as gods because they brought me free tacos before?
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Mon May 27, 2019 9:33 pm

Assuming that we're talking about the Christian God (and not Buddhist gods) He would have to reveal himself to me through a display of powers and explain why he never revealed important truths to people such as shunyata, dependent origination, and skandhas which are found in my own religion's scriptures. He would have to further explain why he committed wanton acts of violence in the Old Testament, such as slaughtering innocent Midianite women and children, or visiting plagues on the Pharaoh when he's omnipotent and could have simply teleported the Jews out of Egypt. If he failed to do the first two, I wouldn't believe him. If he managed to do them but fail the third, I would conclude he is a devil and that Schopenhauer was right.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

UIJ
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 16, 2014
Libertarian Police State

Postby UIJ » Mon May 27, 2019 9:45 pm

UIJ wrote:Again, OP asked a question, I answered it. No one is entitled to a serious debate (let alone a debate in general), as such I have no reason to waste time butting heads with people who are already firm in their beliefs. What is he going to do, cite the bible and faith, while i spew out countless stupid articles? What a waste of time.

Actually, using the Bible in and of itself is an utterly stupid thing to do. Thanks for assuming how I'm going to debate

what the hell are you talking about
none of what I said was directed at you at all

but thanks for assuming it was?
I am tired of summies :alas:
Pro: you reading my lore and getting kinda sad, maybe a lil glum, then seeing the Hooshers and getting a lil happy, ☣️☢️☣️

Anti: anyone under the age of 20, summies, generic boring nations, super tryhard edgelord nations, NSG, NSGers (all of them)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon May 27, 2019 11:48 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Do I act like a bloody commie to you? Besides, there are better ways to go about being a commie too. Further, I've been trying to start a business for a while, and I've had bad luck after bad luck. Okay, so then answer me this. What about Christians in Muslim countries, what about Shias in Sunni countries practicing Taqui? They're actively persecuted. What benefit could a shia have for maintaining the Shia faith? I can understand not wanting to die as a reason to pretend to be Sunni, but why actually be Shia? Why hold onto your Christian faith if you're persecuted for your beliefs? If your beliefs are enough to kill you for them? Also I have dounted my faith, like, very much doubted my faith, and yet I still believe. My reasons for doing so are avaliable in the why do you believe in HP thread, or if you want, I could post them here

Are you positing that people keeping their faith in the face of persecution validates their faith?
Boy I should introduce you to some pagans.

No, I am not. I am merely suggesting that many people are willing to die for their faith, and that it would be absurd to suggest that a significant number of people who are facing death are doing so in order to gain something worldly.
And are you suggesting that the hundreds of thousands, if not, millions, of people who defend their faith till death are doing so in order to gain something worldly? If so, what worldly thing could a dead person possibly gain? A nicer coffin? Wouldn't living a lie be a better option? And do you really believe that hundreds of thousands, if not, millions, are willing to pull off such a scam, are willing to die in order to gain something worldly? Perhaps some are, but suggesting that all of them are is quite ludacris
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General