NATION

PASSWORD

What would God have to do to convince YOU of His existence?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun May 26, 2019 11:31 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Erm... "genie"

As for me, I would never again have one single moment's doubt the existence of a benevolent, omnipotent, omniscient higher power if God created a new plant that was ubiquitous in every corner of the globe and was the cure for every cancer.

I don't mean one that may have curative properties, if run through a bunch of processes in a lab, repackaged and sold for thousands per month. I mean one plant that you just had to brew its leaves into a tea and drink them for six to eight weeks and you're cured. Guaranteed!

Just one brand new, ubiquitous healing plant.

EDIT: Incidentally, I'm not an atheist (so possibly not the target audience of this thread). But the question wasn't "Atheists: What Would God Have to Do to Convince You of His Existence"... merely how any doubts could be allayed.

Once again, existence=/=benevolence.

You asked me what would absolutely convince me of the existence of an interventionist God.

I answered.

Producing such a miraculous plant -- freely available and with guaranteed healing properties -- would not necessarily be an act of benevolence -- merely one clear and obvious act of intervention that could not be ignored: a new, previously unseen plant that sprouts everywhere and does something never possible before.

That it would also benefit mankind is purely incidental.

EDIT: And the game isn't for you to rebut what people want in order to believe, with certainty, in an interventionist God. Merely for us to answer the question posed.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun May 26, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Noretias
Secretary

Founded: Aug 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Noretias » Sun May 26, 2019 11:37 pm

Well..I suppose he could create a universe that doesn't appear to be completely naturalistic/materialistic upon examination. I'm having a little bit of trouble thinking how to answer this question, because the premise is that everything is exactly as it is now and we assume God exists. The reason I don't believe a god exists is because of the world as it is right now, or at least my perception of it. Having grown up Christian(LDS) and then turned to atheism, I just found personally that materialistic explanations seems to hold up on their own merits, and I've yet to encounter any case or problem where adding God or gods to the equation ever really actually added anything or made the ideas better. So I suppose in order to convince me, God would have to do something that completely defies all the evidence we have up until now. Say His voice literally ringing out for every human on earth to hear at once, followed by a a volcano erupting out of the middle of Boise, Idaho that rather than lava spewed out golden light that healed disabilities and convinced skinheads they were terrible people. In other words, God would have to do something that literally only a God could do and could not possibly happen in a naturalistic universe.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun May 26, 2019 11:48 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Let's work on Clark's third law. You see something that you thought was previously impossible. Let's see that you see someone levitating, for example. How do you, personally, know that it was caused by technology, rather than magic?

I - being a reasonable person - suspend judgement. Which would make me an "atheist" with regard to their claim since it means I don't believe them.

You're trying to do a "gotcha" here, but it doesn't work. Our position, or at least the position I hope most atheists hold, is logically consistent with the acceptance of unknowns.

It's theists who are constantly saying that everything we don't understand somehow proves their very specific denomination's elaborate set of rituals are totally correct.

EDIT: I hasten to add that I hope most theists would also be skeptical of "magical" claims. Just believing someone is God because they blow your mind once is how you wind up in a cult.

Can confirm. I have a faith. If a person preceded to levitate before me, I would search high and low for the smoke and mirrors. If I could see none, I would still remain doubtful -- and (if I was the only person that saw it) possibly go for a medical health check.

Believing in something absolutely, crushing every single doubt (especially in things laws, like gravity, have proven impossible) has poor precedent.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun May 26, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon May 27, 2019 12:02 am

Noretias wrote:a volcano erupting out of the middle of Boise, Idaho that rather than lava spewed out golden light that healed disabilities and convinced skinheads they were terrible people.

That would be pretty spiffy.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon May 27, 2019 12:14 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Noretias wrote:a volcano erupting out of the middle of Boise, Idaho that rather than lava spewed out golden light that healed disabilities and convinced skinheads they were terrible people.

I have to admit, if the ubiquitous cancer-curing plant didn't work out, that would be a pretty nice alternative.

How far would the healing light reach? The planet might need more than one.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Mon May 27, 2019 12:18 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

I have to admit, if the ubiquitous cancer-curing plant didn't work out, that would be a pretty nice alternative.

People can make pilgrimages to Idaho.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Qyrym
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Qyrym » Mon May 27, 2019 12:21 am

Assuming if he exists and he needs to be overlord of all reality, he doesn't need to convince anyone, he could just make me believe in him.
Qyrym is an independent Crimean Khanate in 1400-s borders.
NEWS: Belgorod Prefecture included in Capital Region construction plan | New tourist town under construction in Theodosia Prefecture | Inheritance tax replaced with new law, preventing wealth concentration

Embassy thread | General Factbook
*NS stats used, population /100

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon May 27, 2019 12:23 am

USS Monitor wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:I have to admit, if the ubiquitous cancer-curing plant didn't work out, that would be a pretty nice alternative.

So only the rich could get a cure ?
Well, the question was about Gods existence, not his morality...
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Mountain Pygmies
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Mountain Pygmies » Mon May 27, 2019 12:24 am

He would have to destroy himself.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon May 27, 2019 12:24 am

USS Monitor wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:I have to admit, if the ubiquitous cancer-curing plant didn't work out, that would be a pretty nice alternative.

I was thinking more about the skinheads who may not want to go... and those that couldn't afford the pilgrimage to Idaho.

That's the problem with having one holy site.

All those who can't see the miracle in action themselves have to rely on the word-of-mouth from those who have. And then, how do you know that there's not just some added ingredient in the water in Idaho, or that the miraculous healings are real?

And then there's still that level of scepticism for everyone else.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon May 27, 2019 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Mon May 27, 2019 12:26 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

A one-time trip to Idaho is a lot cheaper than a lifetime of medical care to manage a disability, and there could be charities to help pilgrims make the trip.

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Mon May 27, 2019 12:34 am

USS Monitor wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

A one-time trip to Idaho is a lot cheaper than a lifetime of medical care to manage a disability, and there could be charities to help pilgrims make the trip.

Just make it so the magical light comes from the sun. That way everyone could be cured once daily, and the only way you could still be a racist is if you were a basement dweller who never went outsi...

I've spotted the flaw in this.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Mon May 27, 2019 12:34 am

Dogmeat wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

Just make it so the magical light comes from the sun. That way everyone could be cured once daily, and the only way you could still be a racist is if you were a basement dweller who never went outsi...

:lol2:

Noretias
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Noretias » Mon May 27, 2019 12:39 am

USS Monitor wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Trust me, the infrastructure in Idaho is not prepared for an influx of pilgrims. Which I guess makes it a cruel location to put it. Or I guess I did say it's light, so maybe it just keeps on going forever into space healing entire planets in its wake, and refracting through the atmosphere to reach everyone on Earth. (Somehow. It's God's volcano, it can do what it wants)

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon May 27, 2019 12:41 am

Dogmeat wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

:rofl:

Maybe God could infuse it in the water?

Slongs
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 10, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Slongs » Mon May 27, 2019 12:47 am

Give me a sign. Just any sign
This is not a sig. It's a sandwich

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon May 27, 2019 12:50 am

Dogmeat wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

**Cough cough** polar night. If you wanted to be racist that badly, you could simply move to the Arctic
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon May 27, 2019 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon May 27, 2019 12:58 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Once again, existence=/=benevolence.

You asked me what would absolutely convince me of the existence of an interventionist God.

I answered.

Producing such a miraculous plant -- freely available and with guaranteed healing properties -- would not necessarily be an act of benevolence -- merely one clear and obvious act of intervention that could not be ignored: a new, previously unseen plant that sprouts everywhere and does something never possible before.

EDIT: And the game isn't for you to rebut what people want in order to believe, with certainty, in an interventionist God. Merely for us to answer the question posed.

NSG is a debate forum
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Slongs
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 10, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Slongs » Mon May 27, 2019 1:01 am

How can we prove any of us is even real?
This is not a sig. It's a sandwich

Synapse X
Civilian

Founded: May 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Synapse X » Mon May 27, 2019 1:03 am

People belive in God and some doesn't by the way.

Noretias
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Noretias » Mon May 27, 2019 1:03 am

Australian rePublic wrote:**Cough cough** polar night. If you wanted to be racist that badly, you could simply move to the Arctic

I mean normally I don't advocate separatism, but if the most hardcore of hardcore racists all run off to be vampires in the Arctic I think I'm still calling that a win.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon May 27, 2019 1:05 am

USS Monitor wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

For most people there is no medical care. If you are a legless leper in the third world you will not be able to pay for the trip and will simply die after a short,miserable life.

As God intended.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Noretias
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Noretias » Mon May 27, 2019 1:06 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
For most people there is no medical care. If you are a legless leper in the third world you will not be able to pay for the trip and will simply die after a short,miserable life.

As God intended.

If God wanted them to be healed he'd have made them fortunate enough to be born in the right state in the right country. *Nods*

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon May 27, 2019 1:08 am

Synapse X wrote:People belive in God and some doesn't by the way.

True. I would like the OP tell us how Brahma could convice him of his existence.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon May 27, 2019 1:08 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:You asked me what would absolutely convince me of the existence of an interventionist God.

I answered.

NSG is a debate forum

It is a debate forum, but I suspect that you hope -- by responding with (effectively) bromides to everything that people say they would need (in order to believe with certainty in an interventionist God) -- not to debate, but proselytise.

But you are not going to persuade anyone that they do not need the proofs they do, in order to believe in an interventionist God.

And you will especially not convince people by lamenting that some people wish to be given things (as everyone who has ever prayed does: they ask for health, for wealth, for wellbeing, for protection -- they ask for God to give them something, perhaps not material and perhaps for their loved ones, rather than them. But, if you pray -- you ask for God to give you something that you do not have or want more of).
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon May 27, 2019 1:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General