NATION

PASSWORD

What would God have to do to convince YOU of His existence?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Founded: May 19, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Twilight Imperium » Fri May 24, 2019 10:19 am

Alternately, I'm willing to be bribed via big tiddy goth gf. Txt me God!

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Fri May 24, 2019 10:20 am

Twilight Imperium wrote:Alternately, I'm willing to be bribed via big tiddy goth gf. Txt me God!

Pretty sure he's keeping them all to himself, or else we would have been blessed with them already.

Only his chosen children, I guess.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Fri May 24, 2019 10:20 am

Australian rePublic wrote:"He can reveal it in some way to me" well if that is enough to convince, then you can't dismiss anyone else's experiences of God as false

Let me stop you right there.

Revealing himself to someone else is not the same as revealing himself to me. People can say things that aren't true for a variety of reasons, whether because they are purposely lying or just because they are confused.

If you asked me 2 years ago if a yeti was a real animal, I probably would have said yes without any sense of irony. I don't buy into pseudo-scientific nonsense about cryptids. I don't believe in Nessie pictures and bigfoot sightings. But I somehow completely missed the part where yetis were a mythological creature and not a commonly known species like snow leopards or yaks or whatever. I don't live in the Himalayas, and it just doesn't come up that often. When I did finally realize they were mythical, I was sort of amused and embarrassed that it took so long.

It's worth noting that whoever invented yetis probably thought they were describing a real creature, and of course there are people that totally believe in Nessie or bigfoot.

"People half way round the world would know the world would encounter an experience of someone called 'Yeshua', someone that they've never heard of". There would be very few literate people in the world today who haven't heard of Jesus, and of those few, there would be even fewer whose records would be known to the public (for example, you would have no method of reading my journals). And this is all just assuming that someone would write down these experiences in the first place. Considering in my other thread you dismissed the Muslim guy who had a dream about Jesus telling him that Christianity is the correct faith, and you dismissed it based on the assertion that Muslims have heard of Jesus, then this would eliminate every person literate or illeterate, who has heard of Jesus. And this is before we even consider people who are too afraid to reveal their experiences, because of persecution. "'Yoshua' could have appeared to an ancient person from a litterate society who had never heard of Him"- most ancient people were illerate, despite living in literate societies, and even then, many, many ancient records have been lost, once again, assuming that it was written down in the first place

So why didn't Christian missionaries ever arrive somewhere only to find that the indigenous people were already Christian because they'd discovered Jesus independently? Wouldn't necessarily happen everywhere they went, but you would think it'd happen some places if the word was being spread by divine revelation and not just human teaching.

"He could place 'x' amount of money in my bank account" yes, yes, very funny

Cough it up, big guy. :p

"'X' culture would believe in a story similar to that of Jesus". Well we already have over 600 flood stories, and they're all dismissed as coincidences, so considering that, why would a, say, South American story of a reserected man born to a virgin not be considered a considence?

Flood myths are NOT dismissed as a coincidence. The most well-known ones originate in the Middle East and they refer to a real event for which there is archaeological evidence. There is no evidence of the Flood affecting other parts of the world, and the stories do not exist or do not follow the same pattern in cultures that have no ties to the Middle East. There are stories about other floods that happened in other parts of the world, but the timing and descriptions do not match the Middle Eastern ones because they are not talking about the same event. For example, China has stories about the Yellow River flooding because the Yellow River floods sometimes, but there's nothing about the timing of the floods of the Yellow River that would link them to Middle Eastern flood myths.

So, given all that, assuming that He exists, what would God have to do to convince you that He exists. What specific action/which specific words would have to take/say in order to convince you, (insert your name here), that He exists?

Just start intervening regularly enough that it can't be dismissed as coincidence. It's not a question of needing to do one specific thing. It's that there needs to be a pattern of events, consistent over a long period. As they used to say in the Great War: once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Postby Twilight Imperium » Fri May 24, 2019 10:22 am

The Rich Port wrote:
Twilight Imperium wrote:Alternately, I'm willing to be bribed via big tiddy goth gf. Txt me God!

Pretty sure he's keeping them all to himself, or else we would have been blessed with them already.

He's God, he can spare one to get a devout follower. Jeez.

New Totzka
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Totzka » Fri May 24, 2019 10:22 am

IMO it would be nearly impossible for a god to prove it's existence. Even if a being could perform miracles that could defy scientific explanation, it wouldn't prove it was a god that we should worship.
Last edited by New Totzka on Fri May 24, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previous nation of the Tsunterlands, kept alive for WA purposes

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Fri May 24, 2019 10:23 am

New Totzka wrote:IMO it would be nearly impossible for a god to prove it's existence. Even if a being could perform miracles that could defy scientific explanation that wouldn't prove it was a god that we should worship.

It would prove that he existed, even if it didn't prove we should worship him.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Fri May 24, 2019 10:25 am

Twilight Imperium wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

He's God, he can spare one to get a devout follower. Jeez.

HOW DARE YOU QUESTION YOUR LORD AND SAVIOR, DA TRASHMIN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DJswI9pcjE

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Fri May 24, 2019 10:26 am

USS Monitor wrote:
New Totzka wrote:IMO it would be nearly impossible for a god to prove it's existence. Even if a being could perform miracles that could defy scientific explanation that wouldn't prove it was a god that we should worship.

Assuming that the being in question matches the descriptions in the bible or the descriptions provided by other religions.

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Postby Twilight Imperium » Fri May 24, 2019 10:28 am

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

Assuming that the being in question matches the descriptions in the bible or the descriptions provided by other religions.

That would be pretty easy to do if you're a giant sky-appearing entity. Also, is the Abrahamic god ever described in the Bible?

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Fri May 24, 2019 10:29 am

USS Monitor wrote:

A burning bush :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh my God. Why is that so funny to me.

Like, holding up a microphone to any burning bush and being like, "Are you God".

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri May 24, 2019 10:33 am

The Rich Port wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Assuming that the being in question matches the descriptions in the bible or the descriptions provided by other religions.

Like, holding up a microphone to any burning bush and being like, "Are you God".

Does this mean that forest fires are god?
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Fri May 24, 2019 10:36 am

The Rich Port wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Assuming that the being in question matches the descriptions in the bible or the descriptions provided by other religions.

I don't believe in god or any deity, so if you want to horse around with a burning bush, I doubt it would be a worthwhile investment of time.

The Brytish Isles
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Brytish Isles » Fri May 24, 2019 10:37 am

Thermodolia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Does this mean that forest fires are god?

Clearly the Lord of Light is the one, true god.
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
Make America Great Britain Again
Overview | Profiles | Templates | Embassy | Politics

| National Report | “Beautiful Albion” programme aimed at decreasing pollution, cleaning litter and renovating inhabited areas to go ahead, says Westminster correspondent. // Polish Crown Prince Konstanty announces birth of son, both mother and child “in good health.” // Prime Minister White-Patel and Austrian counterpart Leopold Mayr expected to meet in Vienna on Monday to discuss furthering Austro-Brytish ties.

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri May 24, 2019 10:48 am

God knows.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Happsborough
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Happsborough » Fri May 24, 2019 10:51 am

How can he convince me of something I already believe in/know?
Agree:
Constitutional/Parliamentary Monarchy, Nationalism, Radical Centrism

Disagree:
Radical Feminism, Communism, Free Market Capitalism, Extreme Nationalism, Closed Borders, Open Borders, Partisanism/Tribalism

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Postby Twilight Imperium » Fri May 24, 2019 10:53 am

Happsborough wrote:How can he convince me of something I already believe in/know?

You tell us ;) It's the thread topic, after all. Maybe since you're already convinced, you could think about what it would take to get un convinced?
Last edited by Twilight Imperium on Fri May 24, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri May 24, 2019 11:01 am

The Rich Port wrote:

I don't believe in god or any deity, so if you want to horse around with a burning bush, I doubt it would be a worthwhile investment of time.

Depends on the bush. Acacia might be worthwhile.
Insert trite farewell here

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners » Fri May 24, 2019 11:07 am

Iciaros wrote:
Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners wrote:
See? Dude insists He isn't falsifiable. Ergo, agnosticism is the correct Biblical position.

To be absolutely fair, that quote doesn't say the Christian god's existence isn't falsifiable, just that you shouldn't try to do it. 'Shall not' versus 'cannot' and all that. He could still be falsifiable, except you might then be smited into next week. (iirc, though, people did test him a few times, and they weren't all immediately killed, so maybe it's one of those 'you can't do this but the penalty is a slap on the wrist' things...)

Well, right. If the Bible represents the will/word of God, then God would appear to want to be non-falsifiable. Ergo, just to make God happy (cause it's nice and/or to remain unsmitten) I should adopt agnosticism.

Of course, I suspect that God's apparent desire to be non-falsifiable has to do with God not really being a God, and not wanting the flock to find out, so, in fact, hard atheism is the more correct choice. But if He's willing to meet me at an agnostic middle ground, then hey, **shrug**
Last edited by Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners on Fri May 24, 2019 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION: While Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners have a smart navigation system that avoids obstacles, the robot may occasionally bump into furniture, objects, pets and ideological assumptions. Therefore, if you have special objects and assumptions that could potentially be damaged by the bumping, remove these objects and assumptions from the room or use boundary markers. Additionally, refrain from looking into laser vision system with remaining eye.

Tabor-Zion
Secretary

Founded: Apr 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tabor-Zion » Fri May 24, 2019 11:08 am

The Brytish Isles wrote:Show up and announce his supposed existence? It’s really that simple.

He did that 2000 years ago

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Fri May 24, 2019 11:09 am

The Rich Port wrote:
A m e n r i a wrote:
He could though. He just did so to me last week. Given the unpredictability of the circumstances though, you'd have to ask often enough to experience it yourself. Either that or you have to be so holy you get good stuff without even asking (good stuff as in good for you, not necessarily something you like, so asking for booze is out of the question).

... Which. Again. Proofs. Not Validity.

Do you have PROOF that he did it for you, and that it was indeed an act of God?

I asked for it after reciting several verses of the Quran, and Hadits Shahih kitab Iman 1/37-38.

Tabor-Zion wrote:
The Brytish Isles wrote:Show up and announce his supposed existence? It’s really that simple.

Even before and after that. Multiple times.
Last edited by A m e n r i a on Fri May 24, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)
Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future. On-site factbooks are no longer canon. A 13.14 civilization, according to this index.
Your guide to Amenria, organized for your convenience

Minachia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby Minachia » Fri May 24, 2019 11:10 am

Nothing.
Be a good person and don't use NS stats. The insane ones, at least.
Full name: Caero-Minachia. The CH is hard because Italian spelling.
Basically Rome, but Christian and modern.
Now with more Slavs!
Our leader has a ridiculously long title.
Carthago delenda est.
Lutheran Christian (LCMS), politically apathetic (
though I have gotten recent interest in Christian Democracy).
Elparia's Official Florida Man.
Christ is King, even if you don't believe it.
♔ Monarchist
Una buonissima canzone.
More OOC crap.
Discord, 'cause why not?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri May 24, 2019 11:25 am

Take me on a grand tour through time and space.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Fri May 24, 2019 11:26 am

A m e n r i a wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
... Which. Again. Proofs. Not Validity.

Do you have PROOF that he did it for you, and that it was indeed an act of God?

I asked for it after reciting several verses of the Quran, and Hadits Shahih kitab Iman 1/37-38.

Tabor-Zion wrote:

Even before and after that. Multiple times.

And... What did he do, exactly?

And how would whatever happened be proven to be otherwise than a coincidence?

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Fri May 24, 2019 11:58 am

I'm already religious, but for me to be convinced of his existence I would probably have to go through a long journey of faith similar to the one I went through.

But my problem with God isn't his existence/lack thereof, it's his hypocrisy. My gods are not moral, hell, they're pretty fucking amoral. But this "Yahweh" guy acts a lot like some of the worse of my gods. He doesn't rape anybody, granted, but he still has sanctioned it. Everything else is also checked off.

Self-Servent and Jealous, Check
Murders, Check
Causes unborn babies to die, Check
Sends people he doesn't like to be burned in an eternal lake of fire, Check
Sanctions Rape, Check
Caused mass genocide, Check
And those are the ones I can think off the top of my head.

Yet he calls himself Omnibenevolent, in the sense that he is more moral than man. If anything, he's just as bad as Satan (who is also a douche, for the record).

Now, of course, if the bible isn't meant to be taken literally this changes everything. You go from an angry and vindictive god to a truly loving one, but if you don't take the bible seriously your religion becomes little more than a bunch of incohesive men and women who loosely believe in the same god, meaning that power structures wouldn't exist. And given the power of the Church, we can't have that now, can we?
All shall tremble before me

Kuominwave
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kuominwave » Fri May 24, 2019 12:02 pm

As far as I know, truth doesn't need worshippers, punishments/rewards, etc. All it needs is evidence, which in my opinion is something all religions lack.
OOC: This nation does not represent my political views, I don't know how to politic.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General