NATION

PASSWORD

ICE putting LGBT and disabled immigrants in solitary...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Duhon
Minister
 
Posts: 3169
Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Duhon » Fri May 24, 2019 2:25 pm

The Republic of Fore wrote:
Duhon wrote:
Indeed. Which is why you say shoot them all. Or torture them till they can't be recognized as human anymore (even as dirty filthy foreigners they still have humanity, and you can't have that, only you are human), then shoot them.

Nobody has said any such thing. Stop fearmongering.


The logic is inexorable, your gagging the only reason you won't treat them any harsher.

User avatar
Necroghastia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 627
Founded: May 11, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Necroghastia » Fri May 24, 2019 2:25 pm

The Republic of Fore wrote:
Ifreann wrote:I've never found "deserve" to be a useful word. Who cares what people deserve? The government shouldn't torture people, even if they "deserve" it. The government should treat people humanely even if they don't "deserve" it.

I care what people deserve. There's no reason for us to waste our time money and resources on people who aren't our citizens. Nobody forced them to come here, so they don't get to make demands. As I've said, if they don't like it they're free to not come here. We will continue on without them.

Everyone deserves basic human rights. And as you yourself admitted, they're our fucking problem if we're going to the trouble of putting them in camps. If you really were concerned about not wasting time, money, and resources, there's better things they could be used for and you could leave these people the fuck alone.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 183407
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri May 24, 2019 2:26 pm

Duhon wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
No one is asking for special treatment. Just a modicum if respect, which we pretty much afford to all people, including criminals.


But American criminals are still human. Foreigners, by the very definition of the term, they can't possibly be human. Oh, and American criminals in solitary confinement too. Not human at all.


One would think that’s the logic.
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 130751
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ifreann » Fri May 24, 2019 2:26 pm

The Republic of Fore wrote:
Ifreann wrote:I've never found "deserve" to be a useful word. Who cares what people deserve? The government shouldn't torture people, even if they "deserve" it. The government should treat people humanely even if they don't "deserve" it.

I care what people deserve. There's no reason for us to waste our time money and resources on people who aren't our citizens.

Yes there is. Do you think that you will be safe if your government is allowed to torture people?
Nobody forced them to come here, so they don't get to make demands. As I've said, if they don't like it they're free to not come here. We will continue on without them.

People being tortured in ICE custody are, by definition, not free.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

User avatar
Thyrgga
Envoy
 
Posts: 306
Founded: Jun 15, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Thyrgga » Fri May 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:I care what people deserve. There's no reason for us to waste our time money and resources on people who aren't our citizens. Nobody forced them to come here, so they don't get to make demands. As I've said, if they don't like it they're free to not come here. We will continue on without them.

Everyone deserves basic human rights. And as you yourself admitted, they're our fucking problem if we're going to the trouble of putting them in camps. If you really were concerned about not wasting time, money, and resources, there's better things they could be used for and you could leave these people the fuck alone.


Why won't they just go home?
Þyrggiskan Rikją
Fastus ēja þie, Greðē Þyrggē, wezerþam.

Thyrgga is an interstellar empire of 680 star systems and 64 trillion citizens which is ruled absolutely by Emperor Alaric. Thyrgga is highly isolationist and pursues a policy of autarky.

User avatar
The Republic of Fore
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 442
Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Republic of Fore » Fri May 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:No, they should be treated however we choose. If they don't like it, they don't have to come here. There's no reason for us to show respect to people who did nothing to deserve it. Walking across the border doesn't get you special treatment.


That's horrifying. Are people not worthy of basic dignity simply by virtue of being people? And hell, you're still dodging the main subject, which is that people in these camps are being singled out for being disabled or LGBT. What's your justification for that?

Anyone who is not a citizen of our country is not our concern. I don't believe that they should be singled out. So here's how we solve the problem. Send them all home. And then no one is being held in solitary.

User avatar
Thyrgga
Envoy
 
Posts: 306
Founded: Jun 15, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Thyrgga » Fri May 24, 2019 2:28 pm

The Republic of Fore wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:
That's horrifying. Are people not worthy of basic dignity simply by virtue of being people? And hell, you're still dodging the main subject, which is that people in these camps are being singled out for being disabled or LGBT. What's your justification for that?

Anyone who is not a citizen of our country is not our concern. I don't believe that they should be singled out. So here's how we solve the problem. Send them all home. And then no one is being held in solitary.


This is a voice of reason.
Þyrggiskan Rikją
Fastus ēja þie, Greðē Þyrggē, wezerþam.

Thyrgga is an interstellar empire of 680 star systems and 64 trillion citizens which is ruled absolutely by Emperor Alaric. Thyrgga is highly isolationist and pursues a policy of autarky.

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 58968
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri May 24, 2019 2:28 pm

The Republic of Fore wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:
That's horrifying. Are people not worthy of basic dignity simply by virtue of being people? And hell, you're still dodging the main subject, which is that people in these camps are being singled out for being disabled or LGBT. What's your justification for that?

Anyone who is not a citizen of our country is not our concern. I don't believe that they should be singled out. So here's how we solve the problem. Send them all home. And then no one is being held in solitary.

How do you think we should determine if they are a citizen or not?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
Novus America
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23874
Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Novus America » Fri May 24, 2019 2:29 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Many people are screaming “abolish ICE”.
It is a common meme.

Ah, so "screaming" here means "saying something I disagree with".

But good you agree it is stupid.

I don't, ICE should be abolished and everyone associated with it investigated to establish their complicity in acts of torture such as these.

And yes waste and redundancy in the government is common.
That is why we should look at reducing the number of redundant organizations and consolidate many.

But they're not redundant. They do different things. Ports of entry don't have one customs check by CBP and then another by ICE. Other agencies can assume their duties on an interim basis.


Glad to hear you want to fire thousands of people as an act of collective punishment.

Other agencies like CBP?
They do a lot of the same things.

And it several people in Congress already proposed they be merged.

We do not need two Customs agencies.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri May 24, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. Pragmatism is my ideology.

User avatar
New Arcadius
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 62
Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Arcadius » Fri May 24, 2019 2:29 pm

Rea wrote:LGBT people are often fleeing hostile settings, and countries which are far less tolerant of their kind than the US. To have them mix with the general populace from said hostile setting would be exposing them to a far greater risk of harm. Would you really put a transgender woman in the same general populace as a bunch of young men fresh off the streets of Colombia and Afghanistan?

This is why no one likes Conservatives.

Because they're all fake as Liberals.

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 183407
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri May 24, 2019 2:30 pm

The Republic of Fore wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:
That's horrifying. Are people not worthy of basic dignity simply by virtue of being people? And hell, you're still dodging the main subject, which is that people in these camps are being singled out for being disabled or LGBT. What's your justification for that?

Anyone who is not a citizen of our country is not our concern. I don't believe that they should be singled out. So here's how we solve the problem. Send them all home. And then no one is being held in solitary.


By that logic, no one who’s a foreigner should visit the US then.
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
The Republic of Fore
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 442
Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Republic of Fore » Fri May 24, 2019 2:30 pm

Ifreann wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:I care what people deserve. There's no reason for us to waste our time money and resources on people who aren't our citizens.

Yes there is. Do you think that you will be safe if your government is allowed to torture people?
Nobody forced them to come here, so they don't get to make demands. As I've said, if they don't like it they're free to not come here. We will continue on without them.

People being tortured in ICE custody are, by definition, not free.

Yes, because I don't buy into fearmongering nonsense. When this is happening to US citizens who didn't commit a crime, I'll be concerned. And they're only in ICE custody because they came here. They could've chosen not to. I don't feel sympathy for people who choose to do something.

User avatar
The Republic of Fore
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 442
Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Republic of Fore » Fri May 24, 2019 2:31 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:Anyone who is not a citizen of our country is not our concern. I don't believe that they should be singled out. So here's how we solve the problem. Send them all home. And then no one is being held in solitary.


By that logic, no one who’s a foreigner should visit the US then.

They're free to come and visit. Tourism and immigration are not the same thing.

User avatar
LiberNovusAmericae
Senator
 
Posts: 3627
Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Fri May 24, 2019 2:31 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Abuse by the state is not inherently fascism. Fascism is an actual doctrine you know.

"Fascism is an actual doctrine"

That's pretty generous to fascism.

I really don't care how "generous" a fact is. Fascism is an ideology, with a specific doctrine or doctrines behind it. It is terrible ideology, but a specific one. It is not just a single abusive policy not liked by a leftist.
Last edited by LiberNovusAmericae on Fri May 24, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supports: Liberty, Capitalism, Libertarianism, Low Taxes, Free Speech, Civic Nationalism, Representative Republics, Secularism, Atheism
Against: Crony Capitalism, Fascism, Nazism, Antifa, Ethnic Nationalism, alt-right, Communism, Socialism, Religion, Totalitarianism, Authoritarianism
Fascists on Gameside have declared me an Enemy of the State! lol.
Farnhamia wrote:It's not a community, it's a discussion thread. It says so in the title. The rules apply there just as they do everywhere else. Or are you suggesting we create a "no go" thread, where only Muslims can post? Maybe you can have your own Moderators, too, and throw non-Muslims out. Not going to happen. Post in English or, as I said when I posted the ruling, in some form tat we can translate via Google or another translation mechanism.

User avatar
The Republic of Fore
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 442
Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Republic of Fore » Fri May 24, 2019 2:33 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:Anyone who is not a citizen of our country is not our concern. I don't believe that they should be singled out. So here's how we solve the problem. Send them all home. And then no one is being held in solitary.

How do you think we should determine if they are a citizen or not?

By the methods we already use to decide who's a citizen and who isn't.

User avatar
Duhon
Minister
 
Posts: 3169
Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Duhon » Fri May 24, 2019 2:35 pm

The Republic of Fore wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Yes there is. Do you think that you will be safe if your government is allowed to torture people?

People being tortured in ICE custody are, by definition, not free.

Yes, because I don't buy into fearmongering nonsense. When this is happening to US citizens who didn't commit a crime, I'll be concerned. And they're only in ICE custody because they came here. They could've chosen not to. I don't feel sympathy for people who choose to do something.


How many Americans are in solitary confinement? Take a guess.

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 183407
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri May 24, 2019 2:35 pm

The Republic of Fore wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
By that logic, no one who’s a foreigner should visit the US then.

They're free to come and visit. Tourism and immigration are not the same thing.


How do you figure they’ll ask for asylum, for example, when they come to the US? Many of them are, and the reason they cross the border is to be able to ask for asylum, which can only be done once in the country. How exactly you figure we shouldn’t care about how they’re been treated if they’re awaiting to have their petitions for asylum heard? How are they not our concern? Why are you ok with other human beings been tortured when they’ve committed no crime worthy of that treatment?
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
The Republic of Fore
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 442
Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Republic of Fore » Fri May 24, 2019 2:35 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:I care what people deserve. There's no reason for us to waste our time money and resources on people who aren't our citizens. Nobody forced them to come here, so they don't get to make demands. As I've said, if they don't like it they're free to not come here. We will continue on without them.

Everyone deserves basic human rights. And as you yourself admitted, they're our fucking problem if we're going to the trouble of putting them in camps. If you really were concerned about not wasting time, money, and resources, there's better things they could be used for and you could leave these people the fuck alone.

Yep, they could be used for improving their own country. We owe them nothing. They are not owed the chance to come here.

User avatar
Xamarse
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: May 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Xamarse » Fri May 24, 2019 2:36 pm

Act a fool gurl act a fool.

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 183407
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri May 24, 2019 2:37 pm

The Republic of Fore wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Everyone deserves basic human rights. And as you yourself admitted, they're our fucking problem if we're going to the trouble of putting them in camps. If you really were concerned about not wasting time, money, and resources, there's better things they could be used for and you could leave these people the fuck alone.

Yep, they could be used for improving their own country. We owe them nothing. They are not owed the chance to come here.


I concede the US is under no obligation to accept every person seeking entry or asylum in the US. That’s true. But it’s not ok to mistreat people who are in your custody either.
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Martinsburgia
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: May 23, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Martinsburgia » Fri May 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Sounds like they are doing a pretty good job to me.

Don't try to illegally enter a country.
Last edited by Martinsburgia on Fri May 24, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 408
Founded: Mar 14, 2019
New York Times Democracy

Postby Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners » Fri May 24, 2019 2:38 pm

Galloism wrote:Thank you. One of the problems with people constantly misusing "fascist" and "communist" is that it's been worn out and now when actual legitimate fascists and communists show up, no one believes you when you tell them, because we repeatedly and thoughtlessly used it for the woman who said she wanted drug users arrested or the man who wanted government funded healthcare.

Sorry, personal pet peeve.


Except in this case, OP isn't talking about healthcare or drug policy. It's talking about an agency of the state imprisoning people under conditions of psychological torture because they don't meet some (arguably) right-wing and nationalist criteria for acceptability.

Sure, we can still vote in what is technically a multi-party system, so were not quite shitting like a duck yet, but walking and talking? It's at least debatable, especially when we've got an Administration which openly seeks a support base among authoritarian right-wing nationalists.

Crying wolf presents problems, true, but the equal and opposite danger is being the metaphorical frog in the slowly boiling pot.
Last edited by Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners on Fri May 24, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION: While Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners have a smart navigation system that avoids obstacles, the robot may occasionally bump into furniture, objects, pets and ideological assumptions. Therefore, if you have special objects and assumptions that could potentially be damaged by the bumping, remove these objects and assumptions from the room or use boundary markers. Additionally, refrain from looking into laser vision system with remaining eye.

User avatar
The Republic of Fore
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 442
Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Republic of Fore » Fri May 24, 2019 2:38 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:They're free to come and visit. Tourism and immigration are not the same thing.


How do you figure they’ll ask for asylum, for example, when they come to the US? Many of them are, and the reason they cross the border is to be able to ask for asylum, which can only be done once in the country. How exactly you figure we shouldn’t care about how they’re been treated if they’re awaiting to have their petitions for asylum heard? How are they not our concern? Why are you ok with other human beings been tortured when they’ve committed no crime worthy of that treatment?

I don't think we should take people for asylum. We spend enough of our money helping foreign countries. And as I've said before, I don't feel sympathy for people who put themselves in situations. The heroin junkie laying in a gutter down the street? Unless he was held down while a needle was forced into his arm, he people himself in that situation. (Note, this is just a hypothetical.)

User avatar
Thyrgga
Envoy
 
Posts: 306
Founded: Jun 15, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Thyrgga » Fri May 24, 2019 2:38 pm

Martinsburgia wrote:Sounds like they are doing a pretty good job to me.

Don't try to illegally enter a country.


There's a word for illegal entry into another country: invasion.
Þyrggiskan Rikją
Fastus ēja þie, Greðē Þyrggē, wezerþam.

Thyrgga is an interstellar empire of 680 star systems and 64 trillion citizens which is ruled absolutely by Emperor Alaric. Thyrgga is highly isolationist and pursues a policy of autarky.

User avatar
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar
 
Posts: 30432
Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri May 24, 2019 2:38 pm

The Republic of Fore wrote:Easy solution, don't try to cross the border. We don't owe them anything.


No excuse to treat them like animals.
❤BITTEN BY THE VAMPIRE QUEEN OF COOKIES❤ NSwiki WA Ambassador: Silver Zephyr. NS's sexyest user 2016 Male 18-29 NSG 2016 Award for Humour 2018 award for most friendly poster (tied with Luminesa)
WBC 38 Postseason team, WBC 40 Postseason Quarterfinalist team, WBC 41 Semifinalists, WBC 42 Third place
Feel the Bern 2020 Trump disrespected fallen heroes beacuse of a little rain
Rainbow dash Is best pony.Scootalove is best love.A love letter to NS

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Al Mumtahanah, Ameriganastan, Andsed, Confederate Norway, Dresderstan, EastKekistan, ElCKuT, Fascist Soyouso, G-Tech Corporation, GrEaT ALgErStOnIa, Hanafuridake, Heloin, Hyat, Jean-Paul Sartre, Jolthig, Kowani, Lord Dominator, Napkizemlja, New haven america, New Metropolitan France, Novus America, Pacomia, Publica, Rossiyaana, Salus Maior, Samudera Darussalam, Sapientia Et Bellum, Scomagia, Tarsonis, Thermodolia, Totally Not OEP, Trinitarium, Trollgaard, United New England, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads