NATION

PASSWORD

Homeless shelters in US may soon be able to deny transgender

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

UIJ
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 16, 2014
Libertarian Police State

Postby UIJ » Fri May 24, 2019 4:17 pm

Mettaton-EX wrote:
UIJ wrote:Why not just have transgender shelters?

I'm sure transgender person would rather be with people who care and understand them then getting possibly discriminated against in a male or female one. Just because a trans can get in a single sex shelter doesn't mean jack shit if they're hated and/or abused in that shelter. Having trans shelters would probably be a better move, tbh.

population density

are you saying there's not enough homeless trans people to warrant their own shelters or
Last edited by UIJ on Fri May 24, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am tired of summies :alas:
Pro: you reading my lore and getting kinda sad, maybe a lil glum, then seeing the Hooshers and getting a lil happy, ☣️☢️☣️

Anti: anyone under the age of 20, summies, generic boring nations, super tryhard edgelord nations, NSG, NSGers (all of them)

Betelgeuse Alliance
Attaché

Founded: Oct 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Betelgeuse Alliance » Fri May 24, 2019 4:17 pm

What the actual fuck!? What kind of ridiculous policy is that? It's fine if you dislike transgenders and with free speech you have every right to openly express your opinion, but please just leave it at that, let them coexist freely and don't outright let them get denied by homeless shelters, because they're supposed to be for everyone and they seriously save lives. You can't deny people their basic rights like this!
Last edited by Betelgeuse Alliance on Fri May 24, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Countless self-governing communities throughout space that are united under one constitution.

I only use NS Stats very loosely - I mainly use factbooks - Telegrams welcome

_______To protect our peace and constitutional values_______
SapplyValues Compass:
Link to my results

For and Against (just my own opinions, I'm not hostile towards other's views):
FOR: Georgism, UBI, Liberty, YIMBYism, Free Markets, Environmentalism, Guaranteed Healthcare & Education, LGBT+ Equal Rights, Free Speech, Local Democracy, Diplomacy, Technological Advancement, Open Source
AGAINST: Authoritarianism, Cronyism, Corporatism, Censorship, Radical Feminism, Corruption

Mettaton-EX
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Mettaton-EX » Fri May 24, 2019 4:21 pm

UIJ wrote:
Mettaton-EX wrote:
population density

are you saying there's not enough homeless trans people to warrant their own shelters or

in most areas, yes, especially because homeless people tend to have worse access to transportation.

rural shelters are already woefully few and far apart, and tend to be worse due to lack of competitive pressure.
THIS ROBOT IS TRANS | AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT | هٰذه الآلة تقتل الفاشيين
(prefer it/its but any pronouns are acceptable)

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri May 24, 2019 4:23 pm

Unsurprising, but still awful.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Gagium
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gagium » Fri May 24, 2019 4:25 pm

Betelgeuse Alliance wrote:What the actual fuck!? What kind of ridiculous policy is that? It's fine if you dislike transgenders and with free speech you have every right to openly express your opinion, but please just leave it at that, let them coexist freely and don't outright let them get denied by homeless shelters, because they're supposed to be for everyone and they seriously save lives. You can't deny people their basic rights like this!

I think the people who run the shelters get to decide who they're 'supposed to be for'. And the proposal would simply allow (EDIT: only single-sex!) homeless shelters to deny those who are transgender; It's not as if it's an enforced ban or government-sanctioned discrimination against homeless transgenders.
Last edited by Gagium on Fri May 24, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E

UIJ
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 16, 2014
Libertarian Police State

Postby UIJ » Fri May 24, 2019 4:29 pm

Mettaton-EX wrote:
UIJ wrote:are you saying there's not enough homeless trans people to warrant their own shelters or

in most areas, yes, especially because homeless people tend to have worse access to transportation.

rural shelters are already woefully few and far apart, and tend to be worse due to lack of competitive pressure.

ah

Still, it would be the easy way out.
I am tired of summies :alas:
Pro: you reading my lore and getting kinda sad, maybe a lil glum, then seeing the Hooshers and getting a lil happy, ☣️☢️☣️

Anti: anyone under the age of 20, summies, generic boring nations, super tryhard edgelord nations, NSG, NSGers (all of them)

Ashanara
Political Columnist

Founded: May 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashanara » Fri May 24, 2019 4:31 pm

Aejus wrote:They should have mental health evaluations, get treatment and then get acceptance. Ez

Why would only transgender people need these? Why not everyone?
Hello, I am a random nation. It is amazing how the moderators have prevented the NS Forums from being "ruled" by trolls. Nice job, mods!

Imbalistan
Envoy

Founded: May 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imbalistan » Fri May 24, 2019 4:31 pm

Thats on the same grounds of denying a african american into the homeless shelter on the grounds he is well, african american, but one seems more bigoted to another. There both bad. :(
Best Quote:
Chan Island wrote:And I'm expecting this thread to devolve into a
racist and/or religious and/or politics shitshow within 3 pages.
I LOVE YOU THE WAY YOU ARE
Bismillah, no, we will not let you go!
#YangGang2020

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri May 24, 2019 5:18 pm

Sapientia Et Bellum wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:
Again, I ask that you post your credentials and relevant studies, since you know so much better. I'd also like you to prove that said "politicized professionals" are, in fact, politicized and not actually stating the truth.

Collection of various research on the topic concerning the lack of success when its comes to using transition as a cure for dysphoria...

https://www.heritage.org/gender/comment ... e-evidence

>heritage fondation

Right wing think tank sause. Not a good pasta.

Betelgeuse Alliance
Attaché

Founded: Oct 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Betelgeuse Alliance » Fri May 24, 2019 5:23 pm

Gagium wrote:
Betelgeuse Alliance wrote:What the actual fuck!? What kind of ridiculous policy is that? It's fine if you dislike transgenders and with free speech you have every right to openly express your opinion, but please just leave it at that, let them coexist freely and don't outright let them get denied by homeless shelters, because they're supposed to be for everyone and they seriously save lives. You can't deny people their basic rights like this!

I think the people who run the shelters get to decide who they're 'supposed to be for'. And the proposal would simply allow (EDIT: only single-sex!) homeless shelters to deny those who are transgender; It's not as if it's an enforced ban or government-sanctioned discrimination against homeless transgenders.

Alright, thanks for clarifying that and thanks for telling me this in a kind and civil manner, I just got hit too hard with a wave of rage. Kind of relieved it's not an outright ban, but It's still a seriously terrible policy nonetheless. In my personal opinion transgenders should be allowed to be treated as the gender they want to be. (And just so you know, I disagree with the statement that ''there are more than 2 genders''.)
Countless self-governing communities throughout space that are united under one constitution.

I only use NS Stats very loosely - I mainly use factbooks - Telegrams welcome

_______To protect our peace and constitutional values_______
SapplyValues Compass:
Link to my results

For and Against (just my own opinions, I'm not hostile towards other's views):
FOR: Georgism, UBI, Liberty, YIMBYism, Free Markets, Environmentalism, Guaranteed Healthcare & Education, LGBT+ Equal Rights, Free Speech, Local Democracy, Diplomacy, Technological Advancement, Open Source
AGAINST: Authoritarianism, Cronyism, Corporatism, Censorship, Radical Feminism, Corruption

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Fri May 24, 2019 5:23 pm

Sad, disgusting policy, and not surprising from this evil government. :(
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri May 24, 2019 8:52 pm

UIJ wrote:
Mettaton-EX wrote:

ah

Still, it would be the easy way out.

Yeah, but it would single us out unnecessarily, and would unnecessarily increase spending on shelters for not enough benefit. Transphobic cis women just need to learn that trans people are in general no more of a threat to them than other cis women (again, in general) are.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri May 24, 2019 9:14 pm

Well, if you're apart of LGBT, it shouldn't be too much to ask in my view, to stick to being exclusively male or female in appearance and behavior. Don't be so weird and just expect the outside world to just be okay with what you're doing. A famous Japanese proverb goes: "the nail that sticks up is the one that gets hammered down."
Last edited by Saiwania on Fri May 24, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri May 24, 2019 9:44 pm

Saiwania wrote:Well, if you're apart of LGBT, it shouldn't be too much to ask in my view, to stick to being exclusively male or female in appearance and behavior. Don't be so weird and just expect the outside world to just be okay with what you're doing. A famous Japanese proverb goes: "the nail that sticks up is the one that gets hammered down."

So if I would be, theoretically speaking, be a transwoman, and act all the time like a regular female, would that be ok in your view?
Last edited by Nakena on Fri May 24, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri May 24, 2019 10:03 pm

Saiwania wrote:if you're apart of LGBT

is this like a union or a coven or a political party or what, how do I become part of it
Last edited by Senkaku on Fri May 24, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri May 24, 2019 10:13 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Saiwania wrote:if you're apart of LGBT

is this like a union or a coven or a political party or what, how do I become part of it

Well, first we have to get you arrested.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri May 24, 2019 10:31 pm

Galloism wrote:
Senkaku wrote:is this like a union or a coven or a political party or what, how do I become part of it

Well, first we have to get you arrested.

ooh cool so it's a prison gang? that sounds kinda badass, can I get like a stick and poke tattoo of like a skull or smthn on my back idk
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri May 24, 2019 10:51 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Sapientia Et Bellum wrote:
Collection of various research on the topic concerning the lack of success when its comes to using transition as a cure for dysphoria...

https://www.heritage.org/gender/comment ... e-evidence

>heritage fondation

It's got a green check mark.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Jack Thomas Lang
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Jack Thomas Lang » Fri May 24, 2019 10:52 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:>heritage fondation

I'm certain that you can find some studies challenging the article instead of throwing around genetic fallacies.

Cappuccina
Minister

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cappuccina » Fri May 24, 2019 11:15 pm

Saiwania wrote:Well, if you're apart of LGBT, it shouldn't be too much to ask in my view, to stick to being exclusively male or female in appearance and behavior. Don't be so weird and just expect the outside world to just be okay with what you're doing. A famous Japanese proverb goes: "the nail that sticks up is the one that gets hammered down."

I actually agree, to an extent, someone going against the grain of their society should expect difficulty. However, the reasoning behind the actions of the perpetrators of said difficulty should be questioned.

I see no social benefits to denying homeless people from a shelter, regardless of their opinions or what have you.. Mercy towards those without a roof over their head is the priority here.
Last edited by Cappuccina on Fri May 24, 2019 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muslim, Female, Trans, Not white..... oppression points x4!!!!
"Latinx" isn't a real word. :^)
Automobile & Music fan!!! ^_^
Also, an everything 1980s fan!!!
Left/Right: -5.25
SocLib/Auth: 2.46

Apparently, I'm an INFP

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri May 24, 2019 11:17 pm

Cappuccina wrote:

I actually agree, to an extent, someone going against the grain of their society should expect difficulty. However, the reasoning behind the actions of the perpetrators of said difficulty should be questioned.

I see no social benefits to denying homeless people from a shelter, regardless of their opinions or what have you.. Mercy towards those without a roof over their head is the priority here.

Hear hear.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sat May 25, 2019 12:17 am

Ideally homeless shelters would be like capsule hotels so this wouldn't be a problem. But like prisoners and children in care, homeless people are at the very end of the queue for public spending.
Everything is intertwinkled

East Mandeast Raiillishme
Civilian

Founded: May 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby East Mandeast Raiillishme » Sat May 25, 2019 12:23 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:sause

A Trump administration proposal could allow federally-funded homeless shelters to deny services to transgender people, marking what advocates say is another attack on the community.

The proposal, published Wednesday, would rollback Obama-era protections to prevent single-sex shelters from discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.

Under the Department of Housing and Urban Development rule change, homeless shelter operators could create a policy to consider "an individual’s sex for the purposes of determining accommodation within such shelters and for purposes of determining sex for admission to any facility or portion thereof."

Nearly one-third of transgender Americans who responded to a 2015 survey have experienced homelessness in their lifetime. Requiring transgender people to stay in shelters that don't match their gender identity can put them at further risk of violence and harassment, according to the National Center for Transgender Equality.

The factors that shelter operators can consider to determine someone's sex include "privacy, safety, practical concerns, religious beliefs," the proposed rule says, and "the individual’s sex as reflected in official government documents."

The Obama administration first passed an "Equal Access" rule for HUD programs in 2012, and in 2016 moved to ensure transgender and gender non-conforming people get services in accordance with their gender identity.

Mara Keisling, executive director of the National Center for Transgender Equality, said the rollback proposal contradicts the mission of the department.

“This is a heartless attack on some of the most vulnerable people in our society," Keisling said in a statement. "The programs impacted by this rule are life-saving for transgender people, particularly youth rejected by their families, and a lack of stable housing fuels the violence and abuse that takes the lives of many transgender people of color across the country."

The American Civil Liberties Union described the proposal as not just another discriminatory move against transgender people but an attempt to justify it with religion.

“When shelters are allowed to turn transgender people away — a policy that is sanctioned by a government that continues to push the lie that the mere existence of trans people threatens the privacy and safety of others — deadly violence against the trans community on the streets will rise," said Ian Thompson, a senior legislative representative for the union.

My view is that this is a stupid allowance in the rules. Transgender homeless people should not be denied shelter. This should not be allowed.

What say you NSG?

xd

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat May 25, 2019 3:25 am

Jack Thomas Lang wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:>heritage fondation

I'm certain that you can find some studies challenging the article instead of throwing around genetic fallacies.

Beacuse of there vast financhal ties to the right and there own idological bias there is no way that there research was not allready made invald by there confermation biais.
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Sat May 25, 2019 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat May 25, 2019 3:33 am

Cunt move.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General