NATION

PASSWORD

Sweden considering banning Nordic runes to deter hate

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Sweden considering banning Nordic runes to deter hate

Postby Aureumterra » Wed May 22, 2019 7:14 pm

The government's reported plans to ban the traditional runic alphabet alongside heathen imagery, due to their alleged popularity in Neo-Nazi circles, have sparked the ire of politicians and ordinary Swedes alike.
The government is currently investigating the possibility of banning the use of old Norse runes, the Swedish news outlet Samhällsnytt reported.

The background to the investigation, lobbied by Social Democrat Justice Minister Morgan Johansson, is the Swedish neo-Nazis' alleged predilection with the runic script, despite the fact that it predates the spread of neo-Nazi ideology by a thousand years.

According to the government proposal, ancient Norse symbols, imagery, and traditional jewellery can also be banned as "incitement of ethnic hatred". This applies, among other things, to Thor's Hammer known as Mjölner, the Valknut (or Odin's knot) and the magical stave Vegvisir.

The government's "one cure fits all" approach has enraged neo-pagans, who adhere to the ancient Nordic religion known as Asatru, and history enthusiasts, who believe that Viking culture is an inherent part of Scandinavian heritage.

Banning an entire written language restricts the freedom of religion, which is backed by the Swedish Constitution and international conventions, they argued. Additionally, by adding contrived meaning to the runic script, the government is making the same mistake as the Nazis, who widely utilised Nordic imagery.

"Our attitude is that prejudices and misunderstandings are best cured with knowledge and facts. It is not okay to try and replace the meaning of our symbols with one's own prejudices or political meaning they completely lack. Banning them would wipe out a part of our own history, culture and beliefs — and our freedom of expression because of political interpretations that do not belong in the Asa community", the Swedish Asa Society wrote on its website.

READ MORE: In Thor We Trust: Swedes Revive 'Back to the Roots' Viking Heathenry

According to them, a culture that is tied with the first settlers' footprints in the North, cannot be destroyed.

In protest against the government's plans, the Asa Society has started a campaign under the motto "Don't touch our runes". The "Battle of Runes" campaign has gathered almost 10,000 signatures.

On Friday, 24 May, a manifestation outside of the House of Parliament will be held.

The government's plans have also come under fire on social media, where Swedes stood up in defence of the rune.

"So, the government wants to ban runic writing. Well, will they destroy the Rök Stone outside Vadstena and several other priceless rune stones from the Viking Age? A more anti-history government is indeed hard to find", a Swede wrote.
Our government advocates multiculturalism, but we are not entitled to have a culture of our own. What the government is now doing is trying to censor our own cultural heritage and erase our roots. Fifth column", Jeff Ahl of the right-wing party Alternative for Sweden tweeted, pledging to wear Thor's hammer "in a really visible way”.

https://sputniknews.com/europe/20190522 ... n-outrage/

https://www.eturbonews.com/252771/swedi ... upid-idea/
https://www.rt.com/news/459997-sweden-rune-ban-nazis/

So… the Swedish Parliament is considering banning Norse runes since they promote “Nazism” and “Hate speech.” What do you think NSG?

I think this is stupid, really really stupid, even stupid for far left parties. Runes predate Nazism itself by centuries, so I don’t see what banning them would do then erase Nordic history. Sweden claims runes like ᛏ (tyr) and ᛪ (x) symbolize hate speech and nazism because a few far right groups use them in symbolism, so now they want to ban all runes and a large part of Nordic history just to protect “minority’s feelings.” This is just really stupid, nothing more I can say…
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed May 22, 2019 7:17 pm

The Nazis chose Nordic runes because even they knew that it was good. It predated them by many centuries but still fit in with the Germanized world order and vision they were trying to create. To throw away Nordic history to be politically correct for liberalism, would be one of the most dreadful betrayals ever done.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Athonuna
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Athonuna » Wed May 22, 2019 7:18 pm

That's terribly sad, but I'm not surprised. Sweden has cucked so far to the left now it's not even funny. They're basically a fascist leftist state, and they keep enacting stupid new laws as if in a contest to see which country can come up with the most idiotic laws. They're winning, by far.
Current Accidental policies (Thanks, Pacomia): Corporal Punishment, Prudism, Child Labor (sort of)
Meme summarizing Athonuna, courtesy of Maori Moon
I'M A BIOLOGICAL MALE THAT DOES NOT THINK THAT HE'S A WOMAN!
NOR AM I KAZAKH ARGENTINA (You know who you are)
ISLAM IS NOT A RELIGION OF PEACE!
That is all.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed May 22, 2019 7:18 pm

The swastika pre-dates the Nazis, too, and yet they ruined that once innocuous symbol, too. I understand why they'd want to do this but I don't think it will accomplish much, more's the pity, except to give the Neo-Nazi victims another grievance.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Wed May 22, 2019 7:19 pm

Athonuna wrote:That's terribly sad, but I'm not surprised. Sweden has cucked so far to the left now it's not even funny. They're basically a fascist leftist state, and they keep enacting stupid new laws as if in a contest to see which country can come up with the most idiotic laws. They're winning, by far.

Luckily this hasn’t been enacted yet
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed May 22, 2019 7:20 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Athonuna wrote:That's terribly sad, but I'm not surprised. Sweden has cucked so far to the left now it's not even funny. They're basically a fascist leftist state, and they keep enacting stupid new laws as if in a contest to see which country can come up with the most idiotic laws. They're winning, by far.

Luckily this hasn’t been enacted yet

So you're up in arms about nothing?
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

National Republic of Antagoria
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby National Republic of Antagoria » Wed May 22, 2019 7:20 pm

Christ I was and still am a terrible person
Last edited by National Republic of Antagoria on Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Wed May 22, 2019 7:20 pm

That is pretty silly TBH. I mean unless Neo Nazis are actually using Nordic Runes as symbols than this just feels like an overreaction.
Last edited by Andsed on Wed May 22, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Wed May 22, 2019 7:21 pm

Farnhamia wrote:The swastika pre-dates the Nazis, too, and yet they ruined that once innocuous symbol, too. I understand why they'd want to do this but I don't think it will accomplish much, more's the pity, except to give the Neo-Nazi victims another grievance.

Look at a Swastika, the first thing that comes to your mind is probably Nazism and not Hinduism or Buddhism

Look at runes, do you think of Nazism first? I doubt it, it’s a part of viking history
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Wed May 22, 2019 7:21 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:Luckily this hasn’t been enacted yet

So you're up in arms about nothing?

It’s being considered

The fact that erasing a large part of our history is even being considered is enough to put me “up in arms”
Last edited by Aureumterra on Wed May 22, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed May 22, 2019 7:22 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:The swastika pre-dates the Nazis, too, and yet they ruined that once innocuous symbol, too. I understand why they'd want to do this but I don't think it will accomplish much, more's the pity, except to give the Neo-Nazi victims another grievance.

Look at a Swastika, the first thing that comes to your mind is probably Nazism and not Hinduism or Buddhism

Look at runes, do you think of Nazism first? I doubt it, it’s a part of viking history

Good point but keep in mind that this is a "someone in the Swedish government said something about maybe banning runes" thing so it's very important.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Wed May 22, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inkopolitia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Inkopolitia » Wed May 22, 2019 7:22 pm

One can not ban their way to end hate, especially when said things that get banned are an important aspect to Nordic culture. Now, why did this idea to destroy a cultural part of the Nordic region ever become a thing in the first place?
squid
female who is (unapologetically) in love with females ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5.75, -5.33

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Wed May 22, 2019 7:22 pm

Inkopolitia wrote:One can not ban their way to end hate, especially when said things that get banned are an important aspect to Nordic culture. Now, why did this idea to destroy a cultural part of the Nordic region ever become a thing in the first place?

It’s the social democrats, what do you expect?
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Thyrgga
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 15, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Thyrgga » Wed May 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Aureumterra wrote:

Either way, it doesn't matter. People should be able to use the swastika, or runes, or whatever, if they so wish.
Last edited by Thyrgga on Wed May 22, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Athonuna
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Athonuna » Wed May 22, 2019 7:24 pm

Aureumterra wrote:

Of course! Beautiful, wonderful, history. But Europe is welcoming waves of migrants with open arms and sacrificing their own cultures without a second thought to make the migrants comfortable. Cultures that shaped the Western World as we know it, and cultures so beautiful and magnificent they should never be wasted. And the nationalists that wish to preserve their homeland's cultures are labeled as 'far-right' by their opponents. Truly saddening.
Current Accidental policies (Thanks, Pacomia): Corporal Punishment, Prudism, Child Labor (sort of)
Meme summarizing Athonuna, courtesy of Maori Moon
I'M A BIOLOGICAL MALE THAT DOES NOT THINK THAT HE'S A WOMAN!
NOR AM I KAZAKH ARGENTINA (You know who you are)
ISLAM IS NOT A RELIGION OF PEACE!
That is all.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed May 22, 2019 7:24 pm

Aureumterra wrote: What do you think NSG?

I think eturbonews, sputniknews and RT are bad sauces.

They took it apparently from an very obscure blog.

I doubt this is going to happen tbh.
Last edited by Nakena on Wed May 22, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed May 22, 2019 7:25 pm

Aureumterra wrote:

I think of Heroes of Might and Magic.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Vazkin
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazkin » Wed May 22, 2019 7:26 pm

Why would anyone want to go and do that? It is their own culture, it is what makes them unique. When I hear Sweden I think of the Vikings and Nordic culture. It would be a terrible shame to see them throw that away. They don't even have any hate really? Even if they did have a history of "hate", it is important to remember the past regardless of what it is.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed May 22, 2019 7:26 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:So you're up in arms about nothing?

It’s being considered

The fact that erasing a large part of our history is even being considered is enough to put me “up in arms”

I don't know, considering two of your sources are Russian ... no idea where eTurboNews comes from ... I'm a trifle skeptical. I'll agree it's a pointless idea but no one is erasing anyone's history at this point.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Wed May 22, 2019 7:26 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:Look at a Swastika, the first thing that comes to your mind is probably Nazism and not Hinduism or Buddhism

Good point but keep in mind that this is a "someone in the Swedish government said something about maybe banning runes" thing so it's very important.

It’s not “someone said something” and don’t try to downplay it as such, it really hurts me as a Nord who has studied the history of the vikings and runes to see the highest judicial office in Sweden considering banning runes solely on the basis of the far left coalition’s pressure
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Wed May 22, 2019 7:27 pm

For the record all these sources go back to a site with close ties to SD and only asserts things without proof.
Whether or not it's happening we'll see. But i'll believe when i see it.
#NSTransparency

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed May 22, 2019 7:27 pm

Thyrgga wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:Look at a Swastika, the first thing that comes to your mind is probably Nazism and not Hinduism or Buddhism

Either way, it doesn't matter. People should be able to use the swastika, or runes, or whatever, if they so wish.

:eyebrow: Why would you spoiler a small quote like that?

National Republic of Antagoria
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby National Republic of Antagoria » Wed May 22, 2019 7:27 pm

Vazkin wrote:Why would anyone want to go and do that? It is their own culture, it is what makes them unique. When I hear Sweden I think of the Vikings and Nordic culture. It would be a terrible shame to see them throw that away. They don't even have any hate really? Even if they did have a history of "hate", it is important to remember the past regardless of what it is.

frankly, Sweden has lost it's charm. I don't ever go there anymore. The Swedes are like a dying race.

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Wed May 22, 2019 7:27 pm

So… the Swedish Parliament is considering banning Norse runes since they promote “Nazism” and “Hate speech.” What do you think NSG?

I think you did a shit job of fact-checking this story.
be gay do crime

I am:
A pansexual, pantheist, green socialist
An aspiring writer and journalist
Political compass stuff:
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig
if you passed biology and know
gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧

I disown most of my previous posts

Inkopolitia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Inkopolitia » Wed May 22, 2019 7:27 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Inkopolitia wrote:One can not ban their way to end hate, especially when said things that get banned are an important aspect to Nordic culture. Now, why did this idea to destroy a cultural part of the Nordic region ever become a thing in the first place?

It’s the social democrats, what do you expect?

I'm just surprised that people are STILL on board with erasing history just to acommodate other people
squid
female who is (unapologetically) in love with females ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5.75, -5.33

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General