NATION

PASSWORD

NASA

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed May 22, 2019 3:36 pm

Telconi wrote:
Vetalia wrote:
Look at the SLS fiasco, for one. $15 billion spent to date on a launch system that has inferior payload capacity vs. one designed over 50 years ago, which will maybe work 12 years after the project started, vs. the Saturn V which took 6 years using technology available in the early to mid 1960s.

The Apollo program was also immensely expensive.

It was. But unlike SLS it actually produced a real rocket.

Again I agree NASA is underfunded but underfunding is only a part of the problem.

I am okay with spending a lot on a project that works.
Not poorly designed vaporware.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed May 22, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed May 22, 2019 3:39 pm

Telconi wrote:The Apollo program was also immensely expensive.

True, but it also delivered one of the most incredible accomplishments in human history in the same 12-year span it will take the SLS to be remotely functional, and did so with a starting knowledge base of about 3 years of experience in space exploration and computer technology that at its best is orders of magnitude less than that in a run-of-the-mill laptop. The SLS started with over 50 years of experience in space exploration and vast advancements in technologies related to space exploration and has delivered absolutely nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with funding NASA, if anything its budget should be substantially increased. We just need to get rid of the waste and corporate cronyism plaguing it and use its resources efficiently.
Last edited by Vetalia on Wed May 22, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed May 22, 2019 3:44 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Telconi wrote:The Apollo program was also immensely expensive.

True, but it also delivered one of the most incredible accomplishments in human history in the same 12-year span it will take the SLS to be remotely functional, and did so with a starting knowledge base of about 3 years of experience in space exploration and computer technology that at its best is orders of magnitude less than that in a run-of-the-mill laptop. The SLS started with over 50 years of experience in space exploration and vast advancements in technologies related to space exploration and has delivered absolutely nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with funding NASA, if anything its budget should be substantially increased. We just need to get rid of the waste and corporate cronyism plaguing it and use its resources efficiently.

Sure, but they accomplished apollo on the backs of budgets easily double what we give them now. And it was their only focus. Even ignoring the 'corporate cronyism' NASA has tons on their plate that isn't SLS.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed May 22, 2019 3:46 pm

The Sith Lord is thrilled about living in the moon. I’m not. Of course, he has a space suit. Figures.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed May 22, 2019 3:50 pm

Telconi wrote:[
Sure, but they accomplished apollo on the backs of budgets easily double what we give them now. And it was their only focus. Even ignoring the 'corporate cronyism' NASA has tons on their plate that isn't SLS.

I'm not arguing that in the slightest, I would support increasing NASA's budget back to its Space Race levels without question; we're in a new Space Race now and it's much bigger and more critical to our country than the last one was. Cancelling the SLS would be a good start on reigning in waste at NASA but there also needs to be a more defined approach to its missions and strategy. I for one would like to see major investment in exploration of the Jovian moons for evidence of life and less focus on Mars; unless we have a plan to create an artificial magnetosphere for Mars, it's pretty much pointless to focus on it as a target for colonization.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed May 22, 2019 3:52 pm

Telconi wrote:
Vetalia wrote:

Still the SLS was fundamentally flawed from the start.
It is a bad idea badly executed, well probably not executed at all.

I do agree NASA has too much going on, the mission creep needs to stop, and most programs axed so NASA can actually focus on a few key aerospace projects.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed May 22, 2019 3:57 pm

Novus America wrote:
Telconi wrote:

I do agree NASA has too much going on, the mission creep needs to stop, and most programs axed so NASA can actually focus on a few key aerospace projects.

What specifically makes SLS bad?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed May 22, 2019 4:03 pm

Telconi wrote:What specifically makes SLS bad?

It has cost enormous amounts of time, money and resources to develop and is inferior in capabilities to rockets that existed 50 years ago and still doesn't work.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed May 22, 2019 4:07 pm

Telconi wrote:
Novus America wrote:

What specifically makes SLS bad?

That it is not reusable primarily.
Cheaper better rockets are available.

It simply recycles old obsolete technology rather than offering anything new.

Also despite the absurd amount of time and money it does not even exist and probably never will.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed May 22, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed May 22, 2019 4:38 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Novus America wrote:This would be awesome if NASA actually does it.
But cost overruns, mission creep, excessive risk adversion and countless delays will probably mean we never get there.

NASA is a pale shadow of what it was unfortunately.

It cannot even put a man in space anymore.

It has to contract it out. Right now to the Russians.
Soon to US private companies.
But if it cannot even put a man in orbit I see little hope for the moon.

NASA needs a complete restructuring and change of organizational culture. And that is not easy.

NASA needs funding, is what it needs. Not being able to put a man there? Because it's not funded properly and they didn't get another space vehicle in place before mothballing the shuttle fleet.

They get less than 0.5% of the budget of the US folks. That's why it's been castrated, and that's why the idiots in charge of the Federal Government are saying privatize, let Virgin Space or Elon Musk do it.

Why not? Why should the government spend the money? Private industry can do it faster and cheaper. Again the falcon heavy cost about 500 million to produce and it works., the SLS which has not launched yet is at 23 billion and counting.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Wed May 22, 2019 4:42 pm

Katganistan wrote:NASA needs funding, is what it needs. Not being able to put a man there? Because it's not funded properly and they didn't get another space vehicle in place before mothballing the shuttle fleet.

The address for money is "Congress, Capitol Hill, Washington, DC".

Katganistan wrote:They get less than 0.5% of the budget of the US folks.

True, but bad ideas, like "men on the moon because it's cool" aren't worth it at any cost.

Katganistan wrote:that's why the idiots in charge of the Federal Government are saying privatize, let Virgin Space or Elon Musk do it.

Nah, the Congress and Obama administration recognized that private industry is capable of designing, building, and flying many kinds of missions faster, cheaper, and better than NASA can. As others have noted, that has little to do with money, and much to do with a hopelessly risk-averse, hidebound organizational culture.
Last edited by Northwest Slobovia on Wed May 22, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed May 22, 2019 4:52 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:NASA needs funding, is what it needs. Not being able to put a man there? Because it's not funded properly and they didn't get another space vehicle in place before mothballing the shuttle fleet.

True, but bad ideas, like "men on the moon because it's cool" aren't worth it at any cost.

Katganistan wrote:that's why the idiots in charge of the Federal Government are saying privatize, let Virgin Space or Elon Musk do it.

Nah, the Congress and Obama administration recognized that private industry is capable of designing, building, and flying many kinds of missions faster, cheaper, and better than NASA can. As others have noted, that has little to do with money, and much to do with a hopelessly risk-averse, hidebound organizational culture.

Tbf to NASA. It's the government, by definition they have to be hidebound and risk adverse. The bid process has to be open, much more stringent records have to be kept to insure fraud doesnt take place, which both lengthens the process and increases the cost. they cant take the risks with human life or the possibility of failure private industry can afford to take.

NASA needed to lead the way when it was all science and those costs were prohibitive. It's mostly engineering now. Private industry can do it faster, cheaper and better.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed May 22, 2019 4:56 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:Tbf to NASA. It's the government, by definition they have to be hidebound and risk adverse. The bid process has to be open, much more stringent records have to be kept to insure fraud doesnt take place, which both lengthens the process and increases the cost. they cant take the risks with human life or the possibility of failure private industry can afford to take.

NASA needed to lead the way when it was all science and those costs were prohibitive. It's mostly engineering now. Private industry can do it faster, cheaper and better.

Plus they mandated the use of Space Shuttle parts and let Boeing manage the development of the damn thing. Let's hope to God Boeing didn't stick their defective MCAS in the SLS like they did with the 787-MAX.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Wed May 22, 2019 5:10 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:The address for money is "Congress, Capitol Hill, Washington, DC".

Tbf to NASA. It's the government, by definition they have to be hidebound and risk adverse.
Actually, they don't. That was one of the lessons of the Space Race and a fair number of scientific missions: novelty and risk are often good, if one understands the reasons why. Faget designed the earlier manned ships (with a lot of Grissom's input on Gemini) and they were bid out to many of the same aerospace companies that are now allowed to charge far too much and produce things of dubious value. All those ships were novel; it's not like we had any idea what would work until we tried. :P Further, the all-up tests of the Apollo stack were risky, but having decided to take the risk, NASA managed to build to that risk, and made the thing fly the first time.

The Voyager Grand Tour was (for the time) also novel and risky: it required a lot of things to go right, exactly on schedule. And NASA built to that risk by flying Voyager 1 on a simpler mission, with Voyager 2 getting the Grand Tour if Voyager 1 achieved all the primary science goals at Jupiter and Saturn.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed May 22, 2019 5:33 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:The address for money is "Congress, Capitol Hill, Washington, DC".

Tbf to NASA. It's the government, by definition they have to be hidebound and risk adverse. The bid process has to be open, much more stringent records have to be kept to insure fraud doesnt take place, which both lengthens the process and increases the cost. they cant take the risks with human life or the possibility of failure private industry can afford to take.

The thing is NASA used to be cutting edge, innovative and risk taking.
It had to be to compete in the space race.

If the NASA today was what we had in the 60s we never would go to the moon.
NASA changed and for the worse.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Cloney
Attaché

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cloney » Wed May 22, 2019 5:37 pm

Just waiting on SpaceX to colonize Mars, I will move there as soon as it is mostly safe so I don’t have to deal with nuclear war.
A militaristic, high-tech nation with an emphasis on cloning technology. I do not use NS stats.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed May 22, 2019 5:46 pm

Cloney wrote:Just waiting on SpaceX to colonize Mars, I will move there as soon as it is mostly safe so I don’t have to deal with nuclear war.

Ironically, you're going to get more radiation than would ever be possible on Earth thanks to the solar wind and Mars' lack of a magnetosphere.

Auze
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Wed May 22, 2019 5:52 pm

Nakena wrote:They should bring back the worm logo. It was lit af.

I mean, the style is already being used by the PBS series NOVA. I like the current NASA logo, anyway.

Northern Saxonia wrote:It's going to be a military base to deter the Space Pirates

Even a type III civilization could not hope to defend against the Space Sharks, however.
Last edited by Auze on Wed May 22, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hello, I'm an Latter-day Saint kid from South Carolina!
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced ['ɑ.ziː].
My political views are best described as "incoherent"

Anyway, how about a game?
[spoiler=Views I guess]RIP LWDT & RWDT. Y'all did not go gentle into that good night.
In general I am a Centrist

I disown most of my previous posts (with a few exceptions)

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed May 22, 2019 6:28 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:

Well then, where ARE Virgin Galactic and Elon Musk? I mean, since they can do it better and cheaper.

I mean throwing a convertible into orbit is the definition of cool but ultimately useless....

Whereas we've had NASA send a rover to Mars (Opportunity) that lasted more than twice the lifetime of its twin (spirit) and sent back amazing data.....

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed May 22, 2019 6:28 pm

Nakena wrote:They should bring back the worm logo. It was lit af.

No, straight 1950s logo or bust.

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:32 pm

Katganistan wrote:

Well then, where ARE Virgin Galactic and Elon Musk? I mean, since they can do it better and cheaper.

I mean throwing a convertible into orbit is the definition of cool but ultimately useless....

Whereas we've had NASA send a rover to Mars (Opportunity) that lasted more than twice the lifetime of its twin (spirit) and sent back amazing data.....

Isn’t It funny how it’s always the government agency that gets the blame, while the private companies get all the praise?
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed May 22, 2019 6:33 pm

Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed May 22, 2019 6:42 pm

Just wait until the spice melange is discovered on Mars.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed May 22, 2019 6:43 pm

Vetalia wrote:

Just wait until the spice melange is discovered on Mars.

Oy vey.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Wed May 22, 2019 6:46 pm

Internationalist Bastard wrote:Happy nerd noises

Pretty much my feelings. I'm a wanton slut for everything space related, and it's rekindling my optimistic expectations of the future.
be gay do crime

I am:
A pansexual, pantheist, green socialist
An aspiring writer and journalist
Political compass stuff:
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig
if you passed biology and know
gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧

I disown most of my previous posts

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General