NATION

PASSWORD

Alabama public television didn't air gay wedding in 'Arthur'

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24353
Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Wed May 22, 2019 5:14 pm

Ors Might wrote:
Internationalist Bastard wrote:I agree with this.
Hence my reaction that this is raw pettiness

True. This isn’t strictly censorship but it is dumb. Understandable but still.

More or less my position. I find it silly but within their rights, although this is something I strongly disagree with. Just another addition in the long story of gay people in cartoons getting censored.
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

User avatar
The Empire of Pretantia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39010
Founded: Oct 18, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Empire of Pretantia » Wed May 22, 2019 5:16 pm

San Lumen wrote:
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:You know the right thing would lead to defunding of the APT, so yes you are.

Sucks for Alabama then. Not showing a program isnt going to make them less ignorant.

Firstly: Neither would showing it.
Secondly: Yes it would if the APT gets defunded.
ywn be as good as this video
Gacha
Trashing other people's waifus
Anti-NN
EA
Douche flutes
Zimbabwe
Putting the toilet paper roll the wrong way
Every single square inch of Asia
Lewding Earth-chan
Pollution
4Chan in all its glory and all its horror
Playing the little Switch controller handheld thing in public
Treading on me
Socialism, Communism, Anarchism, and all their cousins and sisters and brothers and wife's sons
Alternate Universe 40K
Nightcore
Comcast
Zimbabwe
Believing the Ottomans were the third Roman Empire
Parodies of the Gadsden flag
The Fate Series
US politics

User avatar
Ors Might
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5436
Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Wed May 22, 2019 5:17 pm

San Lumen wrote:
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:You know the right thing would lead to defunding of the APT, so yes you are.

Sucks for Alabama then. Not showing a program isnt going to make them less ignorant.

Defunding the APT will though?

User avatar
Ors Might
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5436
Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Wed May 22, 2019 5:23 pm

Internationalist Bastard wrote:
Ors Might wrote:True. This isn’t strictly censorship but it is dumb. Understandable but still.

More or less my position. I find it silly but within their rights, although this is something I strongly disagree with. Just another addition in the long story of gay people in cartoons getting censored.

It does have a practical point to it, sadly. The most amount of potential harm comes from the scenario where the APT is defunded, which could have happened if they aired the episode. It sucks but “live to fight another day” is a common phrase for a reason.

User avatar
Rea
Attaché
 
Posts: 87
Founded: Nov 18, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Rea » Wed May 22, 2019 5:26 pm

The network executives probably couldn't care less about "public morals", but they are correct in anticipating that the degree of parental outrage this would spark in Alabama would be a public relations catastrophe for the broadcaster.

Network executives in say, New Jersey wouldn't bat an eye.

Different strokes for different states.

User avatar
Scomagia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18703
Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed May 22, 2019 5:27 pm

San Lumen wrote:
The Emerald Legion wrote:
That's a nonsensical comparison and you Know it. Your argument iS basically "It exists and therefore they have an obligation to show it." They don't. If they did, they would have an obligation to show literally everything which makes no sense.

to not show it is pandering to bigotry and homophobia. If a parent doesnt like their kids being shown something that is perfectly normal that is their problem not the the networks and they should not pander to it.

Are you going to be funding APT during their next funding drive? No? I thought not. The idea that a public television network should potentially commit suicide by alienating a sizable block of potential donors just to meet your ideological ends is completely narcissistic.
Insert trite farewell here

User avatar
Scomagia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18703
Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed May 22, 2019 5:29 pm

The Empire of Pretantia wrote:
San Lumen wrote:Sucks for Alabama then. Not showing a program isnt going to make them less ignorant.

Firstly: Neither would showing it.
Secondly: Yes it would if the APT gets defunded.

Didn't you know that they apparently have an obligation to destroy themselves to make someone else's ideological point? Anything less is just bigotry or...some shit.
Insert trite farewell here

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31206
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Wed May 22, 2019 5:31 pm

Scomagia wrote:
San Lumen wrote:to not show it is pandering to bigotry and homophobia. If a parent doesnt like their kids being shown something that is perfectly normal that is their problem not the the networks and they should not pander to it.

Are you going to be funding APT during their next funding drive? No? I thought not. The idea that a public television network should potentially commit suicide by alienating a sizable block of potential donors just to meet your ideological ends is completely narcissistic.

or maybe the people of the state shouldnt be so ignorant. It was the writers choice to create the episode and if someone in rural Alabama doesnt like it too bad. It is censorship no matter how you spin it.

Why doenst NBC not show Will and Grace in state too?

User avatar
Ors Might
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5436
Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Wed May 22, 2019 5:35 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Are you going to be funding APT during their next funding drive? No? I thought not. The idea that a public television network should potentially commit suicide by alienating a sizable block of potential donors just to meet your ideological ends is completely narcissistic.

or maybe the people of the state shouldnt be so ignorant. It was the writers choice to create the episode and if someone in rural Alabama doesnt like it too bad. It is censorship no matter how you spin it.

Why doenst NBC not show Will and Grace in state too?

It’s not censorship tho

Because NBC chooses to.

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31206
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Wed May 22, 2019 5:36 pm

Ors Might wrote:
San Lumen wrote:or maybe the people of the state shouldnt be so ignorant. It was the writers choice to create the episode and if someone in rural Alabama doesnt like it too bad. It is censorship no matter how you spin it.

Why doenst NBC not show Will and Grace in state too?

It’s not censorship tho

Because NBC chooses to.

How is it not?

User avatar
The Empire of Pretantia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39010
Founded: Oct 18, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Empire of Pretantia » Wed May 22, 2019 5:36 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Are you going to be funding APT during their next funding drive? No? I thought not. The idea that a public television network should potentially commit suicide by alienating a sizable block of potential donors just to meet your ideological ends is completely narcissistic.

or maybe the people of the state shouldnt be so ignorant. It was the writers choice to create the episode and if someone in rural Alabama doesnt like it too bad. It is censorship no matter how you spin it.

They're not showing the episode in Alabama, and if you don't like it too bad.

Why doenst NBC not show Will and Grace in state too?

Because Rural Alabamians don't watch NBC.
ywn be as good as this video
Gacha
Trashing other people's waifus
Anti-NN
EA
Douche flutes
Zimbabwe
Putting the toilet paper roll the wrong way
Every single square inch of Asia
Lewding Earth-chan
Pollution
4Chan in all its glory and all its horror
Playing the little Switch controller handheld thing in public
Treading on me
Socialism, Communism, Anarchism, and all their cousins and sisters and brothers and wife's sons
Alternate Universe 40K
Nightcore
Comcast
Zimbabwe
Believing the Ottomans were the third Roman Empire
Parodies of the Gadsden flag
The Fate Series
US politics

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31206
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Wed May 22, 2019 5:37 pm

The Empire of Pretantia wrote:
San Lumen wrote:or maybe the people of the state shouldnt be so ignorant. It was the writers choice to create the episode and if someone in rural Alabama doesnt like it too bad. It is censorship no matter how you spin it.

They're not showing the episode in Alabama, and if you don't like it too bad.

Why doenst NBC not show Will and Grace in state too?

Because Rural Alabamians don't watch NBC.

Well then they are choosing to be ignorant and thats not my problem.

User avatar
Ors Might
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5436
Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Wed May 22, 2019 5:37 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Ors Might wrote:It’s not censorship tho

Because NBC chooses to.

How is it not?

Explain how choosing not to show something is the same as actively trying to lrevent it from being seen. It’s the difference between a library not having anything written by Lovecraft and a book burning.

User avatar
The Empire of Pretantia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39010
Founded: Oct 18, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Empire of Pretantia » Wed May 22, 2019 5:38 pm

San Lumen wrote:
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:They're not showing the episode in Alabama, and if you don't like it too bad.

Because Rural Alabamians don't watch NBC.

Well then they are choosing to be ignorant and thats not my problem.

And yet you're still bitching about something that's "not your problem."
ywn be as good as this video
Gacha
Trashing other people's waifus
Anti-NN
EA
Douche flutes
Zimbabwe
Putting the toilet paper roll the wrong way
Every single square inch of Asia
Lewding Earth-chan
Pollution
4Chan in all its glory and all its horror
Playing the little Switch controller handheld thing in public
Treading on me
Socialism, Communism, Anarchism, and all their cousins and sisters and brothers and wife's sons
Alternate Universe 40K
Nightcore
Comcast
Zimbabwe
Believing the Ottomans were the third Roman Empire
Parodies of the Gadsden flag
The Fate Series
US politics

User avatar
Ors Might
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5436
Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Wed May 22, 2019 5:38 pm

San Lumen wrote:
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:They're not showing the episode in Alabama, and if you don't like it too bad.

Because Rural Alabamians don't watch NBC.

Well then they are choosing to be ignorant and thats not my problem.

Yeah, it’s not your problem. So stop trying to dictate what they do.

User avatar
Proctopeo
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9978
Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Proctopeo » Wed May 22, 2019 5:38 pm

San Lumen wrote:
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:They're not showing the episode in Alabama, and if you don't like it too bad.

Because Rural Alabamians don't watch NBC.

Well then they are choosing to be ignorant and thats not my problem.

You've been acting like it's a serious major issue this whole time though
Center-right libertarian LockeabooEconomic: 5.25
Meme addict :^)Social: -3.74
Manga is literatureWill probably retake once every month or so, last updated 3/8/2019
RIP Balk
Crockerland wrote:Yes, we are aware, the Israelis protect their civilians with weapons while the Palestinians protect their weapons with civilians.

User avatar
Scomagia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18703
Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed May 22, 2019 5:41 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Are you going to be funding APT during their next funding drive? No? I thought not. The idea that a public television network should potentially commit suicide by alienating a sizable block of potential donors just to meet your ideological ends is completely narcissistic.

or maybe the people of the state shouldnt be so ignorant. It was the writers choice to create the episode and if someone in rural Alabama doesnt like it too bad. It is censorship no matter how you spin it.

Why doenst NBC not show Will and Grace in state too?

Sugar, do you know what the difference is between public television and regular network television? See, one runs primarily on donations. The other is funded through advertising. One of these sources of revenue is very fickle and depends on the goodwill of viewers like you (thank you). The other is based purely on profit motive. Now, why would APT, which runs on the former model, not want to alienate a wide cross section of Alabama's viewers? Think hard.
Insert trite farewell here

User avatar
Scomagia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18703
Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed May 22, 2019 5:43 pm

San Lumen wrote:
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:They're not showing the episode in Alabama, and if you don't like it too bad.

Because Rural Alabamians don't watch NBC.

Well then they are choosing to be ignorant and thats not my problem.

You're right. It ISN'T your problem. So maybe you should pipe down and stop railing against a donation based network choosing not to effectively defund itself.
Insert trite farewell here

User avatar
Gormwood
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5579
Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gormwood » Wed May 22, 2019 5:45 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Khataiy wrote:Obviously I am not out of luck if Alabama here is rightfully censoring this, I know America is secular but anything that leans closer to my values will obviously win my support, its basic logic.

The South tried to censor interracial kisses two generations ago; guess how that went?

Then we find out the South is the biggest consumer of black-on-white porn.
Last edited by Gormwood on Wed May 22, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

User avatar
The Two Jerseys
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12676
Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Wed May 22, 2019 5:47 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Are you going to be funding APT during their next funding drive? No? I thought not. The idea that a public television network should potentially commit suicide by alienating a sizable block of potential donors just to meet your ideological ends is completely narcissistic.

or maybe the people of the state shouldnt be so ignorant.

Let's make them less ignorant by shutting down APT and depriving them of educational programming!
It was the writers choice to create the episode and if someone in rural Alabama doesnt like it too bad.

It was Henry Ford's choice to paint Model T's black only and if some customer doesn't like it, too bad!
It is censorship no matter how you spin it.

So Alex Jones being banned from Twitter is censorship as well?
Why doenst NBC not show Will and Grace in state too?

Completely different funding model.
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

User avatar
Khataiy
Minister
 
Posts: 2940
Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Khataiy » Wed May 22, 2019 6:00 pm

Andsed wrote:
Khataiy wrote:Its not idiotic nor outdated what was wrong yesterday is wrong today, with your logic in 100 years from now is it okay to justify murder, rape or anything else? I mean look at AIDS and other STDs and how they affect homosexuals and drug addicts its clear God is punishing these acts.

1. Okay let me rephrase this. There is no logical basis for homosexuality being wrong. The idea of that is just some old relic people have sadly not given up.

2. And no AIDS and STDs do not prove jack shit about the morality of homosexuality. They affect homosexuals because of biology not god punishing them. Beside if your god does punish homosexuality he is an asshole.

Well God created biology... and no one is asking you to like him, but he is a fact of life.

User avatar
Khataiy
Minister
 
Posts: 2940
Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Khataiy » Wed May 22, 2019 6:04 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Khataiy wrote:Obviously I am not out of luck if Alabama here is rightfully censoring this, I know America is secular but anything that leans closer to my values will obviously win my support, its basic logic.

The South tried to censor interracial kisses two generations ago; guess how that went?

Im not a white supremacist I support things based on if they align with what I support or not, I condemn homosexuality as I condemn racism, as they are sins defined by God and his Prophet. If a place outlaws homosexuality whilst banning interracial relations, I would support them where they are right and condemn them where they are wrong. The two are not equal, a race is something that cannot be "wrong" or "right" it simply is, homosexuality is a sin, sodomy is a sin, effeminate men and masculine women are also sins, everything that surrounds the LGBT culture and values directly contradict my faith and the faith of many others, and anything to limit that will win my support.

User avatar
Scomagia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18703
Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed May 22, 2019 6:04 pm

Khataiy wrote:
Andsed wrote:1. Okay let me rephrase this. There is no logical basis for homosexuality being wrong. The idea of that is just some old relic people have sadly not given up.

2. And no AIDS and STDs do not prove jack shit about the morality of homosexuality. They affect homosexuals because of biology not god punishing them. Beside if your god does punish homosexuality he is an asshole.

Well God created biology... and no one is asking you to like him, but he is a fact of life.

[Citation Needed]
Insert trite farewell here

User avatar
Highever
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1862
Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Wed May 22, 2019 6:05 pm

Khataiy wrote:
Andsed wrote:1. Okay let me rephrase this. There is no logical basis for homosexuality being wrong. The idea of that is just some old relic people have sadly not given up.

2. And no AIDS and STDs do not prove jack shit about the morality of homosexuality. They affect homosexuals because of biology not god punishing them. Beside if your god does punish homosexuality he is an asshole.

Well God created biology... and no one is asking you to like him, but he is a fact of life.

A fact of life for some people sure. That has no bearing on a federally funded network in a secular nation barring something for religious feelings of some people.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

User avatar
Diopolis
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13151
Founded: May 15, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Diopolis » Wed May 22, 2019 6:15 pm

The Empire of Pretantia wrote:
San Lumen wrote:or maybe the people of the state shouldnt be so ignorant. It was the writers choice to create the episode and if someone in rural Alabama doesnt like it too bad. It is censorship no matter how you spin it.

They're not showing the episode in Alabama, and if you don't like it too bad.

Why doenst NBC not show Will and Grace in state too?

Because Rural Alabamians don't watch NBC.

Perhaps more to the point, NBC most likely has sources of income much less directly linked to the thoughts and feelings of rural Alabamans.
Trad-Catholic, hispanophile Texan distributist and paleoconservative.
Economic left -3.88, authoritarian 6.15
Thoughts
Abortion is not healthcare.
St Generalissimo Francisco Franco, pray for president Trump!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aggicificicerous, Bear Stearns, Bloodshade, Cerinda, Diarcesia, Duhon, Geneviev, Gormwood, Greater La Habana Cuba and Miami Shores, Gun Manufacturers, Ifreann, Independent Tunbridge Wells, Kingdom Of The UN, Liriena, Lost Memories, Luminesa, MSN [Bot], Nakena, Napkizemlja, PR0F1T, Shrillland, South Odreria 2, Stellar Colonies, Telconi, The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp, The Two Jerseys, Valrifell, Vassenor, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads