NATION

PASSWORD

Alabama public television didn't air gay wedding in 'Arthur'

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Maydona
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 105
Founded: Mar 23, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Maydona » Tue May 21, 2019 4:21 pm

Napkizemlja wrote:This is where I'm going to stop you here, mon ami, so you don't waste your time. Full rationality is impossible and is itself irrational. I do not hold that all things in life are rational and make sense, plenty of things can and will not make sense. Sometimes it will though. And that is the flow I go with as it is the best way to maintain ones sanity.


I don't care what you think is rational or irrational. Give me a non-faith based argument why this episode should have been pulled.
Nation info:
Fullname: Republic of Maydon
Capital: Vavalon City
Offical Languages: Standard Kaylian, Simplified Vavalonian, Fledgien, High Cusle
Population: 284 Billion Citizens
Demographics by species: B type Humans 35%, Diesel 25%, Larga 10%, Gulipicts 5%, Demihumans 5%, Kulchacts 5%, Others 15%
By Religion: Christianity 23%, The Sacrosanct 9%, Islam 7% The Diesel Artamas Faiths 5%, Others 56%
Government: Interstellar Senatorial martial republic, Semi-Representative Democracy
GDP: Total; 50 Trillion Marks, Per capita; 53,345


Personal info:
Name: Samantha Rostova
Age: 25
Gender: Transwoman
Location: RI
Interests: Sci-fi, Cats, Flags, History, Philosophy, Art
Political stance: Marxist-Leninist

User avatar
Salus Maior
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15593
Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Salus Maior » Tue May 21, 2019 4:22 pm

Maydona wrote:
Napkizemlja wrote:This is where I'm going to stop you here, mon ami, so you don't waste your time. Full rationality is impossible and is itself irrational. I do not hold that all things in life are rational and make sense, plenty of things can and will not make sense. Sometimes it will though. And that is the flow I go with as it is the best way to maintain ones sanity.


I don't care what you think is rational or irrational. Give me a non-faith based argument why this episode should have been pulled.


Because people didn't want to watch it.
Traditionalist Catholic and Constitutional Monarchist.

"What is better? To be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" -Paarthurnax

“My entire endeavor has always been to clearly recognize the Will of God in all things and to follow it as completely as possible.” -Blessed Charles of Austria, last Habsburg Emperor

User avatar
Napkizemlja
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1028
Founded: Apr 13, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Napkizemlja » Tue May 21, 2019 4:23 pm

Maydona wrote:
Napkizemlja wrote:This is where I'm going to stop you here, mon ami, so you don't waste your time. Full rationality is impossible and is itself irrational. I do not hold that all things in life are rational and make sense, plenty of things can and will not make sense. Sometimes it will though. And that is the flow I go with as it is the best way to maintain ones sanity.


I don't care what you think is rational or irrational. Give me a non-faith based argument why this episode should have been pulled.

Kind of impossible amigo, considering my basis for it is my faith which is a core component of my morality.
Dodging LEGO pieces on the floor like a boss. The new unofficial RWDT anthem. Tory and communitarian. Asperger's. Rollin' 3-4-8 Orthoboo Gang.

User avatar
Necroghastia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1083
Founded: May 11, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Necroghastia » Tue May 21, 2019 4:29 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Maydona wrote:
I don't care what you think is rational or irrational. Give me a non-faith based argument why this episode should have been pulled.


Because people didn't want to watch it.


Source? The OP suggests this was simply the network, and in fact gives a statement from an Alabama resident who did wish to view it.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

User avatar
Highever
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1862
Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Tue May 21, 2019 4:34 pm

Napkizemlja wrote:
Maydona wrote:
I don't care what you think is rational or irrational. Give me a non-faith based argument why this episode should have been pulled.

Kind of impossible amigo, considering my basis for it is my faith which is a core component of my morality.

Which is moot. Unless the episode would also say "some religions think it's wrong for them to be married, but luckily that is irrelevant as there is seperation of church and state kids"
*Arthur theme plays*
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

User avatar
Maydona
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 105
Founded: Mar 23, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Maydona » Tue May 21, 2019 4:38 pm

Napkizemlja wrote:Kind of impossible amigo, considering my basis for it is my faith which is a core component of my morality.


If you can't give a good reason and support it with facts why this episode shouldn't have been pulled other than "muh faith" why did you even bother posting? :eyebrow:
Nation info:
Fullname: Republic of Maydon
Capital: Vavalon City
Offical Languages: Standard Kaylian, Simplified Vavalonian, Fledgien, High Cusle
Population: 284 Billion Citizens
Demographics by species: B type Humans 35%, Diesel 25%, Larga 10%, Gulipicts 5%, Demihumans 5%, Kulchacts 5%, Others 15%
By Religion: Christianity 23%, The Sacrosanct 9%, Islam 7% The Diesel Artamas Faiths 5%, Others 56%
Government: Interstellar Senatorial martial republic, Semi-Representative Democracy
GDP: Total; 50 Trillion Marks, Per capita; 53,345


Personal info:
Name: Samantha Rostova
Age: 25
Gender: Transwoman
Location: RI
Interests: Sci-fi, Cats, Flags, History, Philosophy, Art
Political stance: Marxist-Leninist

User avatar
Salus Maior
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15593
Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Salus Maior » Tue May 21, 2019 4:40 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
Because people didn't want to watch it.


Source? The OP suggests this was simply the network, and in fact gives a statement from an Alabama resident who did wish to view it.


The network said it was worried about a boycott. And I imagine that resident can stream it or something if they want.
Traditionalist Catholic and Constitutional Monarchist.

"What is better? To be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" -Paarthurnax

“My entire endeavor has always been to clearly recognize the Will of God in all things and to follow it as completely as possible.” -Blessed Charles of Austria, last Habsburg Emperor

User avatar
Necroghastia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1083
Founded: May 11, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Necroghastia » Tue May 21, 2019 4:45 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:
Source? The OP suggests this was simply the network, and in fact gives a statement from an Alabama resident who did wish to view it.


The network said it was worried about a boycott. And I imagine that resident can stream it or something if they want.


Oh so potentially people didn't want to watch it. That's not what you said originally.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

User avatar
Maydona
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 105
Founded: Mar 23, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Maydona » Tue May 21, 2019 4:51 pm

Salus Maior wrote:The network said it was worried about a boycott. And I imagine that resident can stream it or something if they want.


Where did the network say this? I'm not finding any information about the network being worried about a boycott.
Nation info:
Fullname: Republic of Maydon
Capital: Vavalon City
Offical Languages: Standard Kaylian, Simplified Vavalonian, Fledgien, High Cusle
Population: 284 Billion Citizens
Demographics by species: B type Humans 35%, Diesel 25%, Larga 10%, Gulipicts 5%, Demihumans 5%, Kulchacts 5%, Others 15%
By Religion: Christianity 23%, The Sacrosanct 9%, Islam 7% The Diesel Artamas Faiths 5%, Others 56%
Government: Interstellar Senatorial martial republic, Semi-Representative Democracy
GDP: Total; 50 Trillion Marks, Per capita; 53,345


Personal info:
Name: Samantha Rostova
Age: 25
Gender: Transwoman
Location: RI
Interests: Sci-fi, Cats, Flags, History, Philosophy, Art
Political stance: Marxist-Leninist

User avatar
Telconi
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27988
Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Telconi » Tue May 21, 2019 5:05 pm

Maydona wrote:
Napkizemlja wrote:This is where I'm going to stop you here, mon ami, so you don't waste your time. Full rationality is impossible and is itself irrational. I do not hold that all things in life are rational and make sense, plenty of things can and will not make sense. Sometimes it will though. And that is the flow I go with as it is the best way to maintain ones sanity.


I don't care what you think is rational or irrational. Give me a non-faith based argument why this episode should have been pulled.


The network believed it would negatively effect their audience's opinion of them.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

User avatar
Diopolis
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13127
Founded: May 15, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Diopolis » Tue May 21, 2019 5:10 pm

Maydona wrote:
Diopolis wrote:....Because they're opposed to homosexuality? It's not complicated. They don't want drug use presented to children either.

That doesn't answer my question though.

Is it really a mystery to you why people don't want their kids watching stuff they think is morally repugnant?
Trad-Catholic, hispanophile Texan distributist and paleoconservative.
Economic left -3.88, authoritarian 6.15
Thoughts
Abortion is not healthcare.
St Generalissimo Francisco Franco, pray for president Trump!

User avatar
Hakons
Senator
 
Posts: 4907
Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Hakons » Tue May 21, 2019 5:14 pm

The horror, the abject horror! I think it's a little silly to withhold the episode, but the episode was also silly.
“That word, ‘conservative,’ is understood by people in different ways. Suppose you say that when we did arithmetic, we learned that two plus two equals four. It’s still the same, so am I then ‘conservative’ for saying so?” - Cardinal Arinze

User avatar
Diopolis
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13127
Founded: May 15, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Diopolis » Tue May 21, 2019 5:24 pm

Hakons wrote:The horror, the abject horror! I think it's a little silly to withhold the episode, but the episode was also silly.

If my memories of watching Arthur as a child are correct, he was supposed to be a drill-sergeant like strict teacher who's relationship status was simply not remarked upon. "He doesn't have an onscreen heterosexual partner, so therefore he must be gay" doesn't really do anything for undermining heteronormativity either, mind you.
Trad-Catholic, hispanophile Texan distributist and paleoconservative.
Economic left -3.88, authoritarian 6.15
Thoughts
Abortion is not healthcare.
St Generalissimo Francisco Franco, pray for president Trump!

User avatar
Maydona
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 105
Founded: Mar 23, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Maydona » Tue May 21, 2019 5:52 pm

Diopolis wrote:Is it really a mystery to you why people don't want their kids watching stuff they think is morally repugnant?


How is two fictional gay characters getting married morally repugnant?
Nation info:
Fullname: Republic of Maydon
Capital: Vavalon City
Offical Languages: Standard Kaylian, Simplified Vavalonian, Fledgien, High Cusle
Population: 284 Billion Citizens
Demographics by species: B type Humans 35%, Diesel 25%, Larga 10%, Gulipicts 5%, Demihumans 5%, Kulchacts 5%, Others 15%
By Religion: Christianity 23%, The Sacrosanct 9%, Islam 7% The Diesel Artamas Faiths 5%, Others 56%
Government: Interstellar Senatorial martial republic, Semi-Representative Democracy
GDP: Total; 50 Trillion Marks, Per capita; 53,345


Personal info:
Name: Samantha Rostova
Age: 25
Gender: Transwoman
Location: RI
Interests: Sci-fi, Cats, Flags, History, Philosophy, Art
Political stance: Marxist-Leninist

User avatar
Gormwood
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5328
Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gormwood » Tue May 21, 2019 6:29 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Napkizemlja wrote:By presenting the view point of the major religious groupings in America. Believe it or not, not everyone opposed to SSM, at least on the basis of morality etc happens to think it's this big evil thing that needs to be stamped out with fire and brimstone.

Should they also show that some people are religiously against interracial marriage in a positive light?

"A mouse and a rabbit getting married? GROSS!"
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

User avatar
Proctopeo
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9954
Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Proctopeo » Tue May 21, 2019 6:30 pm

I mean, it's only public television. Better they don't air one episode than get fucked by angry parents.
Center-right libertarian LockeabooEconomic: 5.25
Meme addict :^)Social: -3.74
Manga is literatureWill probably retake once every month or so, last updated 3/8/2019
RIP Balk
Crockerland wrote:Yes, we are aware, the Israelis protect their civilians with weapons while the Palestinians protect their weapons with civilians.

User avatar
Kowani
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16563
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Tue May 21, 2019 6:34 pm

Proctopeo wrote:I mean, it's only public television. Better they don't air one episode than get fucked by angry parents.

The best way to cure cultural homophobia is through children.
Narcissistic (Hedonistic) Nihilist. Yes, I am edgy. I know.
Atheist and still proud of it. Spanish Expat.
Post-Capitalist, Post-Nationalist.
Rights are functionally just privileges society has deemed important.
Prydania wrote:
As a Canadian? I find Americans and their deep, deep distrust of the government to be fundamentally, critically, laughably flawed. I find some aspects of your country completely absurd. The distrust of anything remotely resembling authority is one. The gun problem that stems from that is another.

Seangoli wrote:You are spouting nonsensical drivel with no coherent thought, little logic, and at the end of it all just angry opining at the clouds based on a truly astonishly low level of knowledge or understanding of the subject matter.

0% Capitalism

User avatar
Proctopeo
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9954
Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Proctopeo » Tue May 21, 2019 6:35 pm

Kowani wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:I mean, it's only public television. Better they don't air one episode than get fucked by angry parents.

The best way to cure cultural homophobia is through children.

While true, again, it's better to skip one episode than risk losing the entire channel after a torrent of complaints.
Center-right libertarian LockeabooEconomic: 5.25
Meme addict :^)Social: -3.74
Manga is literatureWill probably retake once every month or so, last updated 3/8/2019
RIP Balk
Crockerland wrote:Yes, we are aware, the Israelis protect their civilians with weapons while the Palestinians protect their weapons with civilians.

User avatar
Kowani
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16563
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Tue May 21, 2019 6:44 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Kowani wrote:The best way to cure cultural homophobia is through children.

While true, again, it's better to skip one episode than risk losing the entire channel after a torrent of complaints.

And how else would you propose they learn about it? Sunday school?
Narcissistic (Hedonistic) Nihilist. Yes, I am edgy. I know.
Atheist and still proud of it. Spanish Expat.
Post-Capitalist, Post-Nationalist.
Rights are functionally just privileges society has deemed important.
Prydania wrote:
As a Canadian? I find Americans and their deep, deep distrust of the government to be fundamentally, critically, laughably flawed. I find some aspects of your country completely absurd. The distrust of anything remotely resembling authority is one. The gun problem that stems from that is another.

Seangoli wrote:You are spouting nonsensical drivel with no coherent thought, little logic, and at the end of it all just angry opining at the clouds based on a truly astonishly low level of knowledge or understanding of the subject matter.

0% Capitalism

User avatar
Proctopeo
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9954
Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Proctopeo » Tue May 21, 2019 6:48 pm

Kowani wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:While true, again, it's better to skip one episode than risk losing the entire channel after a torrent of complaints.

And how else would you propose they learn about it? Sunday school?

You want to risk killing a public television channel because of gay marriage?
Center-right libertarian LockeabooEconomic: 5.25
Meme addict :^)Social: -3.74
Manga is literatureWill probably retake once every month or so, last updated 3/8/2019
RIP Balk
Crockerland wrote:Yes, we are aware, the Israelis protect their civilians with weapons while the Palestinians protect their weapons with civilians.

User avatar
Kowani
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16563
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Tue May 21, 2019 6:52 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Kowani wrote:And how else would you propose they learn about it? Sunday school?

You want to risk killing a public television channel because of gay marriage?

Some risks are worth taking.
Narcissistic (Hedonistic) Nihilist. Yes, I am edgy. I know.
Atheist and still proud of it. Spanish Expat.
Post-Capitalist, Post-Nationalist.
Rights are functionally just privileges society has deemed important.
Prydania wrote:
As a Canadian? I find Americans and their deep, deep distrust of the government to be fundamentally, critically, laughably flawed. I find some aspects of your country completely absurd. The distrust of anything remotely resembling authority is one. The gun problem that stems from that is another.

Seangoli wrote:You are spouting nonsensical drivel with no coherent thought, little logic, and at the end of it all just angry opining at the clouds based on a truly astonishly low level of knowledge or understanding of the subject matter.

0% Capitalism

User avatar
Proctopeo
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9954
Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Proctopeo » Tue May 21, 2019 6:54 pm

Kowani wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:You want to risk killing a public television channel because of gay marriage?

Some risks are worth taking.

Not for Arthur they ain't
Center-right libertarian LockeabooEconomic: 5.25
Meme addict :^)Social: -3.74
Manga is literatureWill probably retake once every month or so, last updated 3/8/2019
RIP Balk
Crockerland wrote:Yes, we are aware, the Israelis protect their civilians with weapons while the Palestinians protect their weapons with civilians.

User avatar
Kowani
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16563
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Tue May 21, 2019 6:57 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Kowani wrote:Some risks are worth taking.

Not for Arthur they ain't

Clearly, the children of Alabama will be greatly disadvantaged when they have to change the channel to find the exact same show.
Narcissistic (Hedonistic) Nihilist. Yes, I am edgy. I know.
Atheist and still proud of it. Spanish Expat.
Post-Capitalist, Post-Nationalist.
Rights are functionally just privileges society has deemed important.
Prydania wrote:
As a Canadian? I find Americans and their deep, deep distrust of the government to be fundamentally, critically, laughably flawed. I find some aspects of your country completely absurd. The distrust of anything remotely resembling authority is one. The gun problem that stems from that is another.

Seangoli wrote:You are spouting nonsensical drivel with no coherent thought, little logic, and at the end of it all just angry opining at the clouds based on a truly astonishly low level of knowledge or understanding of the subject matter.

0% Capitalism

User avatar
Akrisen
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 143
Founded: May 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Akrisen » Tue May 21, 2019 7:00 pm

If muslims can protest against LGBT whey cant christians?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-48294017

User avatar
Proctopeo
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9954
Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Proctopeo » Tue May 21, 2019 7:00 pm

Kowani wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:Not for Arthur they ain't

Clearly, the children of Alabama will be greatly disadvantaged when they have to change the channel to find the exact same show.

I don't know how Alabama television is but I imagine the other nine channels are news and dramas
Center-right libertarian LockeabooEconomic: 5.25
Meme addict :^)Social: -3.74
Manga is literatureWill probably retake once every month or so, last updated 3/8/2019
RIP Balk
Crockerland wrote:Yes, we are aware, the Israelis protect their civilians with weapons while the Palestinians protect their weapons with civilians.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Abserdia, Aeritai, Autumn Wind, Bombadil, Connori Pilgrims, Dooom35796821595, Gormwood, Heloin, Kohr, MSN [Bot], Necroghastia, Senkaku, Shrillland, Sovaal, Teachian, The Black Forrest, The Intergalactic Banking Guild, Uiiop, Xuloqoia, Zekshin

Advertisement

Remove ads