NATION

PASSWORD

Alabama public television didn't air gay wedding in 'Arthur'

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Tue May 21, 2019 11:26 am

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Polls are a thing mate. And according to them 67% of Americans approve of gay marriage/consider it normal. Out of all 50 states only Alabama and Mississippi have a majority or plurality against. Alabama with 52% against and Mississippi with 48% against

Polls are also typically deceptive.

More than what some guy at a computer says?
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue May 21, 2019 11:27 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
The Lone Alliance wrote:Bad comparison considering the news media does that all the time.

The news media censors by omission all the time, that's half the reason people are beginning to love Alternative media so much, they report on the things the normal media doesn't want to report on because it might offend people who are their target audience.

And Alternative media gets facts wrong or otherwise reports on half truths creating echo chambers.

But that wasn't the question anyway, it was "Should a news network not air a peace of news that wouldn't go over well with there target audience?"

Its piece not peace
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Tue May 21, 2019 11:27 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Ors Might wrote:Huh. Kinda expected Arkansas to be one of them.

Arkansas is actually about 52% for same as Georgia

Not as good as I’d want but better than I thought
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Tue May 21, 2019 11:28 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
Polls are also typically deceptive.

More than what some guy at a computer says?

In claims? No. In effect? Yes.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue May 21, 2019 11:30 am

Petrolheadia wrote:More than what some guy at a computer says?

Nah. The internet and it's many echo chambers are way worse then any poll.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Tue May 21, 2019 11:30 am

Thermodolia wrote:

Interesting. So the APT is even more independent of the CPB and PBS than other state affiliations of PBS

Assuming no other state grants funding like that, yes.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue May 21, 2019 11:30 am

Thermodolia wrote:
And Alternative media gets facts wrong or otherwise reports on half truths creating echo chambers.

But that wasn't the question anyway, it was "Should a news network not air a peace of news that wouldn't go over well with there target audience?"

Its piece not peace

I've always been bad at spelling.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Tue May 21, 2019 11:34 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Yes but it would still be omitting the episodes information from anyone who wanted to watch it on APT.

And again considering that 52% of Alabamans don’t like gay marriage, I don’t think they’ll care

That's still roughly half of us that aren't stuck in the 1800s, though.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Tue May 21, 2019 11:35 am

Typically however, they don't actually have any real authority to lean upon. Whereas people like to present polls as absolute truth.

Hell, just an example from the Pew poll on Gay Marriage, people who respond 'I don't know.' aren't counted at all. Which presents a false yes no dichotomy on a complex issue.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue May 21, 2019 11:36 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
That it exists as part of normal life?

It's something that happens, but I wouldn't say its normal.

Don't worry. They have vaccines for gay cooties.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue May 21, 2019 11:43 am

Typically however, they don't actually have any real authority to lean upon. Whereas people like to present polls as absolute truth.

Hell, just an example from the Pew poll on Gay Marriage, people who respond 'I don't know.' aren't counted at all. Which presents a false yes no dichotomy on a complex issue.

Actually those who said I don’t know are counted. Especially when the numbers are close enough to make pluralities a thing
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_ ... ted_States
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue May 21, 2019 11:45 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
It's something that happens, but I wouldn't say its normal.

Don't worry. They have vaccines for gay cooties.

But vaccines for gay cooties give you autism! :O

They make cults of personalty and use angry youtubers and commenters to attack any desentors. So they do have authority.

Polls are based in reason, some guy on the internet is most often not based in reason.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Tue May 21, 2019 11:46 am

Thermodolia wrote:

Actually those who said I don’t know are counted. Especially when the numbers are close enough to make pluralities a thing
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_ ... ted_States

Even the TLDR version of it posted here would suggest that - Mississipi was stated to have majority disapproval at 48%.
Thermodolia wrote:
Do they? Have you spoken to 100% of Americans to discover this fact?

Polls are a thing mate. And according to them 67% of Americans approve of gay marriage/consider it normal. Out of all 50 states only Alabama and Mississippi have a majority or plurality against. Alabama with 52% against and Mississippi with 48% against
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Tue May 21, 2019 11:59 am

The Lone Alliance wrote:Bad comparison considering the news media does that all the time.

The news media censors by omission all the time, that's half the reason people are beginning to love Alternative media so much, they report on the things the normal media doesn't want to report on because it might offend people who are their target audience.

Yet by reporting only facts their fans support the mainstream media also creates echo chambers.

I'm also saying it's not a should because it's something they actively do, and APT is just doing the exact same thing they do.

It's not a good thing but as long as CNN censors anything that they know their fans don't like, and as long as Fox censors by omission things their fans don't like, why in the world do you think APT would be immune seeing how it's very tiny fish that could have their funding pulled by their state if their state gets mad at them.

Remember this is a state that just passed an extreme abortion ban, you really think that if they didn't choose too they could cut APT's funding to whatever quarters they find in the state capital's vending machine?
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dazchan » Tue May 21, 2019 12:52 pm

An interesting tidbit: The FCC almost didn’t renew APT’s broadcast license in the 70s for doing exactly that. It didn’t matter that news about the war could be found elsewhere, APT refusing to air it was still deemed censorship.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Totaler Krieg Division
Civil Servant

Founded: May 20, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Totaler Krieg Division » Tue May 21, 2019 12:54 pm

With any small amount of luck APT will keep it up and not bend the knee.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Tue May 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Totaler Krieg Division wrote:With any small amount of luck APT will keep it up and not bend the knee.

Bend the knee to... what, exactly?
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Maydona
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Maydona » Tue May 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Imagine being so petty that you wouldn't air two gay fictional characters kissing, how is Alabama not a theocracy when the religious right have complete control of the government there?
Nation info:
Fullname: Republic of Maydon
Capital: Vavalon City
Offical Languages: Standard Kaylian, Simplified Vavalonian, Fledgien, High Cusle
Population: 284 Billion Citizens
Demographics by species: B type Humans 35%, Diesel 25%, Larga 10%, Gulipicts 5%, Demihumans 5%, Kulchacts 5%, Others 15%
By Religion: Christianity 23%, The Sacrosanct 9%, Islam 7% The Diesel Artamas Faiths 5%, Others 56%
Government: Interstellar Senatorial martial republic, Semi-Representative Democracy
GDP: Total; 50 Trillion Marks, Per capita; 53,345
Personal info:
Name: Samantha Rostova
Interests: Sci-fi, Cats, Flags, History, Philosophy, Art
Political stance: Healthcare plz

Totaler Krieg Division
Civil Servant

Founded: May 20, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Totaler Krieg Division » Tue May 21, 2019 1:24 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Totaler Krieg Division wrote:With any small amount of luck APT will keep it up and not bend the knee.

Bend the knee to... what, exactly?

Liberal societal influences.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Tue May 21, 2019 1:28 pm

Maydona wrote:Imagine being so petty that you wouldn't air two gay fictional characters kissing, how is Alabama not a theocracy when the religious right have complete control of the government there?

This isn't the government forbidding a scene containing homosexuality. This is a broadcasting company deciding not to air an episode of their flagship program that they know will offend a large part of their viewership.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Maydona
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Maydona » Tue May 21, 2019 1:34 pm

Diopolis wrote:This isn't the government forbidding a scene containing homosexuality. This is a broadcasting company deciding not to air an episode of their flagship program that they know will offend a large part of their viewership.

Ah I stand corrected but even then how petty do you have to be to get offended by something as trivial as two gay fictional characters? Like no one was going to force anyone to watch the episode and if it did air you could just change the channel, there's literally no point in banning it.
Nation info:
Offical Languages: Standard Kaylian, Simplified Vavalonian, Fledgien, High Cusle
Demographics by species: B type Humans 35%, Diesel 25%, Larga 10%, Gulipicts 5%, Demihumans 5%, Kulchacts 5%, Others 15%
By Religion: Christianity 23%, The Sacrosanct 9%, Islam 7% The Diesel Artamas Faiths 5%, Others 56%
Government: Interstellar Senatorial martial republic, Semi-Representative Democracy
Personal info:

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue May 21, 2019 1:36 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Maydona wrote:Imagine being so petty that you wouldn't air two gay fictional characters kissing, how is Alabama not a theocracy when the religious right have complete control of the government there?

This isn't the government forbidding a scene containing homosexuality. This is a broadcasting company deciding not to air an episode of their flagship program that they know will offend a large part of their viewership.

You do realize that children shows have for a very long time had characters that where politically not accepted. There was a kid on Sesame street with HIV as an example. There was a show in arthur that was about trauma after a fire. The show was aired not long after 9-11.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Tue May 21, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Tue May 21, 2019 1:37 pm

Maydona wrote:
Diopolis wrote:This isn't the government forbidding a scene containing homosexuality. This is a broadcasting company deciding not to air an episode of their flagship program that they know will offend a large part of their viewership.

Ah I stand corrected but even then how petty do you have to be to get offended by something as trivial as two gay fictional characters? Like no one was going to force anyone to watch the episode and if it did air you could just change the channel, there's literally no point in banning it.

Most people who are opposed to homosexuality don't like the idea of homosexuality being presented to children.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Tue May 21, 2019 1:38 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:Literally, what is the point of showing homosexuality in children's cartoons?

True, better to have cartoons showing gays getting beat up and declared abnormal. /s
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Maydona
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Maydona » Tue May 21, 2019 1:42 pm

Diopolis wrote:Most people who are opposed to homosexuality don't like the idea of homosexuality being presented to children.

Why? It's not like they're showcasing hardcore porn, it's just two characters getting married. Also why the double standard of allowing straight couples but not gay couples?
Nation info:
Personal info:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General