NATION

PASSWORD

2019-2020 US Election Megathread II: Tim Ryan's Empire

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which Candidate do you like most after the debates?(Ranked in order of polling after said debates)

Joe Biden
40
14%
Bernie Sanders
92
32%
Elizabeth Warren
27
9%
Kamala Harris
10
3%
Pete Buttigieg
15
5%
Cory Booker
2
1%
Beto O'Rourke
3
1%
Andrew Yang
38
13%
Other
49
17%
Undecided
11
4%
 
Total votes : 287

User avatar
Sidesh0w B0b
Diplomat
 
Posts: 747
Founded: Feb 22, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Sidesh0w B0b » Mon May 20, 2019 4:44 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Sidesh0w B0b wrote:
There's several threads for Clinton too. But they are now locked bc it's sort of a grave digging thing. Get over Hillary, will you?

I’ve been over Clinton for years. I wasn’t the one who brought her up. I’m just informing you that there’s a thread for Iran


Oh thank you so much!
But you know damn well what I was doing. Let me paraphrase it, make it simpler for you: That sword cuts both ways.

User avatar
Telconi
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33550
Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Telconi » Mon May 20, 2019 5:15 pm

Kowani wrote:
Telconi wrote:
The previous actions of a party are relevant to predicting future actions of that party.

So when are the Republicans nominating a Teddy Roosevelt 2.0?


Probably when the Dems get themselves another Kennedy.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

User avatar
Thuzbekistan
Minister
 
Posts: 2185
Founded: Dec 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thuzbekistan » Mon May 20, 2019 5:22 pm

Sidesh0w B0b wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:There’s a thread where we can discuss the stupidity of invading Iran, this isn’t that thread


There's several threads for Clinton too. But they are now locked bc it's sort of a grave digging thing. Get over Hillary, will you?

Thuzbekistan wrote:
while some events are more relevant than others, I'm glad that you see that events have cause and effect and sometimes influence elections years afterward.


I'm glad you're glad. Finally, a ray of hope. :lol:

Why should we "get over" Hillary? She was a very bad candidate and the ghost of her defeat by trump will haunt the democrats.
Proud Member of The Western Isles, the Best RP region on NS.
An RP I'm Proud of: Orsandian Civil War
An INTJ, -A/-T

Economic Left/Right: -5.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.72

User avatar
Nakena
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11558
Founded: May 06, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nakena » Mon May 20, 2019 5:25 pm

Telconi wrote:
Kowani wrote:So when are the Republicans nominating a Teddy Roosevelt 2.0?


Probably when the Dems get themselves another Kennedy.


They already have one

User avatar
Telconi
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33550
Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Telconi » Mon May 20, 2019 5:31 pm

Nakena wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Probably when the Dems get themselves another Kennedy.


They already have one


Implying Joe 3 is useful for anything.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

User avatar
Aclion
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5769
Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Aclion » Mon May 20, 2019 5:38 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Aclion wrote:No I mean a major war is the only way the democrats can avoid a pounding.

Um no. The democrats aren’t really going to get pounded if 2018 is anything to go by

2018 isn't anything to go by. Midterms usually go against the president's party, for example Democrats lost 63 seats in the first midterm under Obama. He still got reelected with a thumping majority. That's normal, the president's party is at an advantage when he runs for election, since he doesn't have to deal with a primary he can concentrate on mobilizing the party.

Trump has the additional advantages that the last few years have been pretty good for people, that the Democrats are going to have an extremely contentious primary, that his party is unifying while his opponents are so torn any candidate can't help but alienate some of them and the the Mueller investigation blew up in the Democrat's face.

So long as Trump avoids any major wars, doesn't have any serious scandals and the economy keeps humming along(particularly important; so long as the rust belt recovery holds up)he should be able to keep the white house, and win the popular vote this time to boot. And there's a good chance Republicans can ride his coattails to retake the house as well(given they only need to pick up two seats).
XKI: Emissary to Forest, Deputy WA Secretary, former TITO Tactical Officer[/region]
TEP: former Deputy Minister for WA affairs
Forest: Cartographer Emeritus
Oatland: Consul ,Caesar and Cartographer Emeritus

User avatar
Valrifell
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27242
Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Valrifell » Mon May 20, 2019 5:50 pm

Aclion wrote:and the the Mueller investigation blew up in the Democrat's face.


This is literally right-wing wishful thinking, most data points I've seen indicate the public really wants to see the full unredacted report and deeply cares about that kinda stuff.
Sint Musis socii Charites, Furia omnis abesto

User avatar
Valrifell
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27242
Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Valrifell » Mon May 20, 2019 5:53 pm

Aclion wrote:So long as Trump avoids any major wars, doesn't have any serious scandals and the economy keeps humming along(particularly important; so long as the rust belt recovery holds up)he should be able to keep the white house, and win the popular vote this time to boot. And there's a good chance Republicans can ride his coattails to retake the house as well(given they only need to pick up two seats).


Anyway, this is also wishful thinking. Trump is currently mired in major scandal by refusing to comply with the investigations prompted by Congress, leading to feuds with the other branches of government which is like, a super bad look. His approval in the Rust Belt is also worse off then when he started and I'm unsure what kind of significant recovery you're referring to in the Rust Belt.

Also Reps are down 38 seats for a majority so I literally have no idea what two seats you're talking about.
Sint Musis socii Charites, Furia omnis abesto

User avatar
Farnhamia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 106654
Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Farnhamia » Mon May 20, 2019 6:51 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Aclion wrote:So long as Trump avoids any major wars, doesn't have any serious scandals and the economy keeps humming along(particularly important; so long as the rust belt recovery holds up)he should be able to keep the white house, and win the popular vote this time to boot. And there's a good chance Republicans can ride his coattails to retake the house as well(given they only need to pick up two seats).


Anyway, this is also wishful thinking. Trump is currently mired in major scandal by refusing to comply with the investigations prompted by Congress, leading to feuds with the other branches of government which is like, a super bad look. His approval in the Rust Belt is also worse off then when he started and I'm unsure what kind of significant recovery you're referring to in the Rust Belt.

Also Reps are down 38 seats for a majority so I literally have no idea what two seats you're talking about.

I heard they were breeding super-representatives who weigh 20 times as much as a regular one. They'd count as 20 seats ... or maybe need 20 seat, I forget, so that way ... *runs away*
Wash Your Damned Hands!

Freedom ... or cake. ~ Ashmoria (RIP)
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo

User avatar
Blargoblarg
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1512
Founded: Sep 06, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blargoblarg » Mon May 20, 2019 10:59 pm

There's now one Republican in Congress who thinks Trump should be impeached after reading the Mueller Report.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/ ... -and-begin
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" -Douglas Adams
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Dom Helder Camara
Vote Green: Howie Hawkins 2020
Economic Left/Right: -9.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.56

User avatar
Gormwood
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14733
Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Mon May 20, 2019 11:12 pm

Blargoblarg wrote:There's now one Republican in Congress who thinks Trump should be impeached after reading the Mueller Report.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/ ... -and-begin

He'll be primaried of course and the other reindeer are still too scared of talking bad about Donnie.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

User avatar
Blargoblarg
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1512
Founded: Sep 06, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blargoblarg » Tue May 21, 2019 12:57 am

The corporate media outlets apparently want people to think that it's bad that Bernie was against the US's support of the Contras in Nicaragua, and that he was against the Vietnam War, and that he voted against the Iraq War. I think the fact that he was against all those wars is a good thing.
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... ie-fo.html
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" -Douglas Adams
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Dom Helder Camara
Vote Green: Howie Hawkins 2020
Economic Left/Right: -9.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.56

User avatar
Page
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12358
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Tue May 21, 2019 2:17 am

Blargoblarg wrote:The corporate media outlets apparently want people to think that it's bad that Bernie was against the US's support of the Contras in Nicaragua, and that he was against the Vietnam War, and that he voted against the Iraq War. I think the fact that he was against all those wars is a good thing.
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... ie-fo.html


That's because the corporate media is pushing the agenda of the military industrial complex, especially now when war profiteers are so close now they can taste the blood to be spilled in Venezuela and Iran. They'll get it if Trump is reelected, they'll get it with Biden, they may very well get it with Harris too, hard to say. But Bernie Sanders is resistant to starting another war of aggression, so he's an enemy, which is why during election season, when you put on MSNBC and CNN and they're talking about Sanders, you can't tell them apart from Fox News.

We're facing a perfect storm for another war. On one side you have Trump, a fake populist and conman who ran on 'no more stupid wars' now fully under the influence of neocons like Pompeo and Bolton. And you have plenty of Democrats on board the war train too. And worst of all, there won't be nearly as much opposition from Democrats and liberals this time around, because millions of liberals have been turned into warmongers by Russiagate.
All about dat FREE stuff: FREE hotel rooms for immigrants - FREE health care - FREE speech - FREE Chelsea Manning and Julian Assange

"If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged." - Noam Chomsky

Protect yourself from Covid-19: Stop licking boots.

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Czar
 
Posts: 46259
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby San Lumen » Tue May 21, 2019 7:10 am

Aclion wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Um no. The democrats aren’t really going to get pounded if 2018 is anything to go by

2018 isn't anything to go by. Midterms usually go against the president's party, for example Democrats lost 63 seats in the first midterm under Obama. He still got reelected with a thumping majority. That's normal, the president's party is at an advantage when he runs for election, since he doesn't have to deal with a primary he can concentrate on mobilizing the party.

Trump has the additional advantages that the last few years have been pretty good for people, that the Democrats are going to have an extremely contentious primary, that his party is unifying while his opponents are so torn any candidate can't help but alienate some of them and the the Mueller investigation blew up in the Democrat's face.

So long as Trump avoids any major wars, doesn't have any serious scandals and the economy keeps humming along(particularly important; so long as the rust belt recovery holds up)he should be able to keep the white house, and win the popular vote this time to boot. And there's a good chance Republicans can ride his coattails to retake the house as well(given they only need to pick up two seats).


You dont call defying congressional subpoena's a major scandal? Its a terrible look and givers the impression he thinks he a is a dictator or king.

What rust belt recovery are you talking about?

Its very doubtful he wins the popular vote and what two seats are you talking about? Republicans would have to gain 18 seats to take the majority and I doubt they will.

User avatar
Tarsonis
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12457
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Tue May 21, 2019 8:57 am

San Lumen wrote:
Aclion wrote:2018 isn't anything to go by. Midterms usually go against the president's party, for example Democrats lost 63 seats in the first midterm under Obama. He still got reelected with a thumping majority. That's normal, the president's party is at an advantage when he runs for election, since he doesn't have to deal with a primary he can concentrate on mobilizing the party.

Trump has the additional advantages that the last few years have been pretty good for people, that the Democrats are going to have an extremely contentious primary, that his party is unifying while his opponents are so torn any candidate can't help but alienate some of them and the the Mueller investigation blew up in the Democrat's face.

So long as Trump avoids any major wars, doesn't have any serious scandals and the economy keeps humming along(particularly important; so long as the rust belt recovery holds up)he should be able to keep the white house, and win the popular vote this time to boot. And there's a good chance Republicans can ride his coattails to retake the house as well(given they only need to pick up two seats).


You dont call defying congressional subpoena's a major scandal? Its a terrible look and givers the impression he thinks he a is a dictator or king.

What rust belt recovery are you talking about?

Its very doubtful he wins the popular vote and what two seats are you talking about? Republicans would have to gain 18 seats to take the majority and I doubt they will.


They’re pretty Fast to be Furious about it
Proud NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005.
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Galatians 6:7 " Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
1 Corinthians 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

User avatar
Gormwood
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14733
Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Tue May 21, 2019 9:11 am

Tarsonis wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
You dont call defying congressional subpoena's a major scandal? Its a terrible look and givers the impression he thinks he a is a dictator or king.

What rust belt recovery are you talking about?

Its very doubtful he wins the popular vote and what two seats are you talking about? Republicans would have to gain 18 seats to take the majority and I doubt they will.


They’re pretty Fast to be Furious about it

The truth about the Fast and Furious scandal
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

User avatar
Tarsonis
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12457
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Tue May 21, 2019 9:21 am

Gormwood wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:
They’re pretty Fast to be Furious about it

The truth about the Fast and Furious scandal


So ignoring Congressional subpoenas is okay as long as you think they’re politically motivated. Fascinating.
Proud NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005.
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Galatians 6:7 " Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
1 Corinthians 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

User avatar
Sidesh0w B0b
Diplomat
 
Posts: 747
Founded: Feb 22, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Sidesh0w B0b » Tue May 21, 2019 9:22 am

Gormwood wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:
They’re pretty Fast to be Furious about it

The truth about the Fast and Furious scandal


Fox News and Pals strike again. Lies and propaganda. My mother bought all that crap (not the guns).

Meanwhile, Trump Begs Merrick Garland to Keep His Financial Lies Private

Yes. Merrick Garland, President Obama's former SCOTUS nominee who never got a hearing from Mitch McConnell will hear the appeal of Judge Amit P. Mehta ruling in favor of compliance with regard to the House Oversight Committee’s demands for Trump's financial records. Hee hee hee.

Today's poll of the Dem's primary race shows former Vice President Joe Biden leading second place challenger VT Senator Bernie Sander by 20 points, 39% - 19%.

Trump won't like that either.
Last edited by Sidesh0w B0b on Tue May 21, 2019 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
The Andromeda Archipelago
Envoy
 
Posts: 324
Founded: Sep 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Archipelago » Tue May 21, 2019 3:34 pm

Sidesh0w B0b wrote:Meanwhile, Trump Begs Merrick Garland to Keep His Financial Lies Private

Yes. Merrick Garland, President Obama's former SCOTUS nominee who never got a hearing from Mitch McConnell will hear the appeal of Judge Amit P. Mehta ruling in favor of compliance with regard to the House Oversight Committee’s demands for Trump's financial records. Hee hee hee.


You'd think that Donald Trump, the brilliant businessman, the graduate of the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of Business, would have learned something about reciprocity.

The Donald doesn't want us to see his tax returns or his college transcripts. This is the most insecure man we've ever had as a President.

User avatar
Ferringinar
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 7
Founded: May 26, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ferringinar » Tue May 21, 2019 6:47 pm

He hasn't asked to see my tax returns, either. It seems reciprocal, to me.

User avatar
Nakena
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11558
Founded: May 06, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nakena » Tue May 21, 2019 7:28 pm

So are the democrats still busily attempting to appease and appeal their leftist fringe freak supporters or have they actually come up with a plan on how to win in 2020?

User avatar
Shrillland
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13586
Founded: Apr 12, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Shrillland » Tue May 21, 2019 7:30 pm

Nakena wrote:So are the democrats still busily attempting to appease and appeal their leftist fringe freak supporters or have they actually come up with a plan on how to win in 2020?


Nothing yet. Come back to us in July when we've had a couple of debates and heard what they actually want to do.
Stand with Content Creators Like Me! Stand With The Union!
Plebiscite Plaza 2020
In 1963, Doctor Who taught us all we need to know about politics when a cave woman said, "Old men see no further than tomorrow's meat".

User avatar
Gormwood
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14733
Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Tue May 21, 2019 7:38 pm

Ferringinar wrote:He hasn't asked to see my tax returns, either. It seems reciprocal, to me.

Are you running for public office?
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

User avatar
West Leas Oros 2
Senator
 
Posts: 4633
Founded: Jul 15, 2018
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby West Leas Oros 2 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:48 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Duhon wrote:
... sigh.

He’s not wrong. She’s a corporate hack who’s to the right of Obama.

Exactly my point. It’s these sort of politicians that destroy my hope for America.
WLO Public News: Outdated Factbooks and other documents in process of major redesign!
How many South Americans need to be killed by the CIA before you realize socialism is bad? Simultaneously an evil commie who wants to take your toothbrush, and an evil brocialist reactionary and revisionist.
Conscientious Objector in the Culture War

NationStates Leftist Alternative only needs a couple more nations before it can hold its constitutional convention!

User avatar
Sidesh0w B0b
Diplomat
 
Posts: 747
Founded: Feb 22, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Sidesh0w B0b » Wed May 22, 2019 1:34 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Blargoblarg wrote:There's now one Republican in Congress who thinks Trump should be impeached after reading the Mueller Report.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/ ... -and-begin

He'll be primaried of course and the other reindeer are still too scared of talking bad about Donnie.


Ha! More like growing nose (Pinocchio) than glowing nose (Rudolph the red nose reindeer). I can't see Trump as Santa, unless it's the Futurama version.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blueflarst, Great unity, Greater Miami Shores, Kanadorika, Picairn, Royal Savannah, Shofercia, The Alma Mater

Advertisement

Remove ads