NATION

PASSWORD

2019-2020 US Election Megathread II: Tim Ryan's Empire

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which Candidate do you like most after the debates?(Ranked in order of polling after said debates)

Joe Biden
14%
Bernie Sanders
32%
Elizabeth Warren
9%
Kamala Harris
3%
Pete Buttigieg
5%
Cory Booker
1%
Beto O'Rourke
1%
Andrew Yang
13%
Other
17%
Undecided
4%

Total votes : 287

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon May 13, 2019 7:34 am

Satuga wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:1) Trump's approval ratings have been hovering around 25-30%, therefore 70-75% does not approve of him (or didn't vote, but that doesn't really change the point considering how few people didn't vote).
2) I didn't say I had a problem with it (IIRC Obama lost the popular vote in 2008), I was just contesting the idea that "the majority of people will vote him again".
3) He has consistently failed to come up with anything resembling a decent plan (no, "gimme a few billion dollars" doesn't count), and I was under the impression that he failed to repeal the ACA but I acknowledge that I might have missed something in the fustercluck that is American politics.

1) Trumps current approval rating is around 45.3% so as i said around 55% dont agree with him.
2) I suppose I should change my words a little, the majority of electoral votes will go to him, as it did in 2016.
3) That's because not only are they coming up with the best possible design to protect the borders, but many people have protested and attempted to halt the construction, hell I think it was coke-a-cola who even purchased a section of land where the wall was going to go in order to "protest" or even make the government pay them more than what they bought for to build there.

2) He's underwater approval-wise in the three states that carried him to victory, the Dems just need to nominate someone not disastrously unpopular, which should be fine for several of the top contenders in the primary.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon May 13, 2019 7:35 am

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:
Satuga wrote:
1) Considering that most democratic states are also some of the highest population states i.e California then its not entirely unreasonable, although 70% is fairly high, i would say more like 55%-65%.
2) that's why we have the electoral college, so one party doesn't have control over the entire nation.
3) He's currently trying to build the wall, (It takes quite a while if you didn't know), also wasn't Obama care repealed?

edit:spelling mistake "althouth"

1) Trump's approval ratings have been hovering around 25-30%, therefore 70-75% does not approve of him (or didn't vote, but that doesn't really change the point considering how few people didn't vote).

His disapproval rate has hovered around high thirties to low forties for his entire presidency.
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:2) I didn't say I had a problem with it (IIRC Obama lost the popular vote in 2008),

What on Earth gave you that idea? Obama won the popular vote by 10 million votes.
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:I was just contesting the idea that "the majority of people will vote him again".
3) He has consistently failed to come up with anything resembling a decent plan (no, "gimme a few billion dollars" doesn't count), and I was under the impression that he failed to repeal the ACA but I acknowledge that I might have missed something in the fustercluck that is American politics.

It was not repealed but key elements of it have either been not enforced or successfully challenged in court. Despite that, enrollment has continued.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Mon May 13, 2019 7:39 am

Satuga wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:1) Trump's approval ratings have been hovering around 25-30%, therefore 70-75% does not approve of him (or didn't vote, but that doesn't really change the point considering how few people didn't vote).
2) I didn't say I had a problem with it (IIRC Obama lost the popular vote in 2008), I was just contesting the idea that "the majority of people will vote him again".

1) Trumps current approval rating is around 45.3% so as i said around 55% dont agree with him.
2) I suppose I should change my words a little, the majority of electoral votes will go to him, as it did in 2016.
3) That's because not only are they coming up with the best possible design to protect the borders, but many people have protested and attempted to halt the construction, hell I think it was coke-a-cola who even purchased a section of land where the wall was going to go in order to "protest" or even make the government pay them more than what they bought for to build there.

1) I don't recheck this very often, I concede that particular point.
2) I still doubt that but there's no way to know for sure until the votes come in.
3) They've been doing that basically his entire presidency with nothing to show for it. And it wouldn't have stopped him, anyway, since eminent domain is a thing that he'd have to use even if they hadn't bought the land.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Mon May 13, 2019 7:40 am

Washington Resistance Army wrote:
The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:Then who would lead the country? And who would decide who leads the country?

Nobody and nobody. We're going full anarcho-anarchist now. It'll be better than having non-stop 24/7 election news.

i.e. hedging your bets on which warlord comes out ahead.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Mon May 13, 2019 7:40 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:

His disapproval rate has hovered around high thirties to low forties for his entire presidency.
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:2) I didn't say I had a problem with it (IIRC Obama lost the popular vote in 2008),

What on Earth gave you that idea? Obama won the popular vote by 10 million votes.
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:I was just contesting the idea that "the majority of people will vote him again".

It was not repealed but key elements of it have either been not enforced or successfully challenged in court. Despite that, enrollment has continued.

The lesson I take from this is that I should probably stay away from these debates until I'm reasonably awake.

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Mon May 13, 2019 7:43 am

Valrifell wrote:
2) He's underwater approval-wise in the three states that carried him to victory, the Dems just need to nominate someone not disastrously unpopular, which should be fine for several of the top contenders in the primary.

He most likely lost some approval ratings due to the mass media, which is also a big factor in the presidential race, as all mainstream media aside from fox news desperately tried to smear Trump during and after the presidency. As well as the ever growing racial divide that is caused by the mainstream media. Luckily it might not be as influential as the majority of the population do not trust the mainstream media anymore. Though all we can really do is wait and see what the democratic or republican candidates are like.
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Satuga
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Mon May 13, 2019 7:44 am

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:The lesson I take from this is that I should probably stay away from these debates until I'm reasonably awake.

Most likely, politics isn't something a tired person should discuss lol.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon May 13, 2019 7:45 am

Satuga wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

He most likely lost some approval ratings due to the mass media, which is also a big factor in the presidential race, as all mainstream media aside from fox news desperately tried to smear Trump during and after the presidency. As well as the ever growing racial divide that is caused by the mainstream media. Luckily it might not be as influential as the majority of the population do not trust the mainstream media anymore. Though all we can really do is wait and see what the democratic or republican candidates are like.

Oh no, you're one of those
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Satuga
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Mon May 13, 2019 7:50 am

Valrifell wrote:Oh no, you're one of those

By one of those I'm going to assume you mean "big bad media, fake news" people?

As a response to that,
1) I don't just go around saying that whatever news site I don't like is "fake news"
2) There has been multiple examples of certain news sites either manipulating the truth or just plain out lying I.E the "Pope hand incident", or the "Fake Protest Set up"

Edit: One additional example, was the Koi Feeding outrage.
Last edited by Satuga on Mon May 13, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Funny quotes:

Tarsonis wrote:

(Image)

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Mon May 13, 2019 7:50 am

And of course the Republicans in power conveniently dismissing cybersecurity concerns for 2020. If they're counting on Russian social engineering to help them keep the White House perhaps the Democrats should encourage foreign social engineering on their behalf.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Mon May 13, 2019 7:55 am

Gormwood wrote:And of course the Republicans in power conveniently dismissing cybersecurity concerns for 2020. If they're counting on Russian social engineering to help them keep the White House perhaps the Democrats should encourage foreign social engineering on their behalf.

It's possible to react to someone breaking the rules by doing things other than violating the exact same rules in the exact same way.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Mon May 13, 2019 7:56 am

Gormwood wrote:And of course the Republicans in power conveniently dismissing cybersecurity concerns for 2020. If they're counting on Russian social engineering to help them keep the White House perhaps the Democrats should encourage foreign social engineering on their behalf.

It's possible to react to someone breaking the rules by doing things other than violating the exact same rules in the exact same way.

One way chivalry is a sucker's game.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Mon May 13, 2019 8:03 am

Gormwood wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:It's possible to react to someone breaking the rules by doing things other than violating the exact same rules in the exact same way.

One way chivalry is a sucker's game.

Not really how rules work but OK.

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Mon May 13, 2019 8:28 am

Ahh, that new thread smell. Take it in everyone!

The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:
Satuga wrote:Unless there is a candidate who is respective, encouraging, and prepared to deal with real issues on both sides of the political spectrum, it is very likely trump will be reelected.

I don't know about that. Trump isn't really that popular. The only reason he won because Hillary was also really unpopular.

However, Trump has a good economy under his belt; the only thing he has going for him. That will probably be enough to re-elect him unless the Democrats can convince their voters to come out in droves with a likable nominee, which is likely.
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Mon May 13, 2019 8:46 am

Gormwood wrote:One way chivalry is a sucker's game.

Not really how rules work but OK.

So if the Republicans encourage Russian aid through neglecting cybersecurity in 2020 how are they getting punished? Rules are only as good as they can get enforced.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Mon May 13, 2019 9:00 am

Gormwood wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:Not really how rules work but OK.

So if the Republicans encourage Russian aid through neglecting cybersecurity in 2020 how are they getting punished? Rules are only as good as they can get enforced.

And it's impossible that they could be enforced because...?

Satuga
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Mon May 13, 2019 9:04 am

Gormwood wrote:

The Russians were condemned for trying to interfere in our politics, by both democrats and republicans, it was never stated how they interfered or why. It was also proven that despite this interference, it wasn't substantial enough to change the voting out come. In fact a recount was attempted in one state, and it actually ended up adding votes towards Trump.

Just stop cause it's not helping you get anywhere.
Funny quotes:

Tarsonis wrote:

(Image)

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon May 13, 2019 9:05 am

Gormwood wrote:

Well, a few ways. First of all, the platforms that were exploited last time have taken measures of their own regardless of how congress or Trump acts. Second, we're more aware of the tactics used. You can't use a trick after you know how it works, not as well at least. Can they still manufacture both sides of a rally to stir unrest? Sure. There's always a fish for the hook. But it won't be as effective a second time around. Third, the DNC can up its own security. The leak happened after someone opened an email link for fuck's sake. Don't do that. Finally, they can keep it in the conversation and highlight the Republican's lack of action on it.

But whatever they do, they should absolutely not undermine any effort to stop it by asking someone else to do the same fucking thing on their behalf.

Fortunately, no one in the party with any modicum of power or influence would suggest this as it's bonkers.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon May 13, 2019 9:10 am

Satuga wrote:
Gormwood wrote:So if the Republicans encourage Russian aid through neglecting cybersecurity in 2020 how are they getting punished? Rules are only as good as they can get enforced.

The Russians were condemned for trying to interfere in our politics, by both democrats and republicans, it was never stated how they interfered or why. It was also proven that despite this interference, it wasn't substantial enough to change the voting out come. In fact a recount was attempted in one state, and it actually ended up adding votes towards Trump.

Just stop cause it's not helping you get anywhere.

Dude. Just...

Okay, first of all. Intensity matters. Republicans have been constantly downplaying any involvement in the elections, Trump took Putin's word over our own intelligence, so no. Not really a both by equal measures.

Second, yes it was stated. Over and over again.

Third, I would like to see this proof you speak of.

Fourth, you're talking about vote tampering. That was not the issue.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon May 13, 2019 9:11 am

Mondale/Dukakis 2020.

Shrillland
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 12, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Shrillland » Mon May 13, 2019 9:36 am

Satuga wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:The lesson I take from this is that I should probably stay away from these debates until I'm reasonably awake.

I can speak from experience on that. I write something tired, and then wake up in the morning thinking, "What the fuck did I write there?"
How America Came to This, by Kowani: Racialised Politics, Ideological Media Gaslighting, and What It All Means For The Future
Plebiscite Plaza 2024
Confused by the names I use for House districts? Here's a primer!
In 1963, Doctor Who taught us all we need to know about politics when a cave woman said, "Old men see no further than tomorrow's meat".

Sidesh0w B0b
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sidesh0w B0b » Mon May 13, 2019 9:38 am

South Odreria wrote:Elections and leaders are unnecessary if we ban large scale human interaction.

Where one bans human interaction one eventually bans humans.

Sidesh0w B0b
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sidesh0w B0b » Mon May 13, 2019 9:40 am

Major-Tom wrote:Mondale/Dukakis 2020.

Weld/Roosevelt 2020

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Mon May 13, 2019 10:01 am

Shrillland wrote:
Satuga wrote:

I can speak from experience on that. I write something tired, and then wake up in the morning thinking, "What the fuck did I write there?"

I can relate.

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Mon May 13, 2019 10:03 am

Sidesh0w B0b wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:Mondale/Dukakis 2020.

Weld/Roosevelt 2020

Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho 2020. Honestly, would he really be any worse than where we are now?
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General