NATION

PASSWORD

The Battles of the Consoles

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue May 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Inkopolitia wrote:
Heloin wrote:Pirating games is bad and I'd never advocate it.

What?

Porting games to PC and not even paying to play them is not pirating?

Oh, and that, I should have worded myself better. Good luck playing online Nintendo games on PC. :lol2:

I'd gladly pay the people creating the emulators, there pretty cool and do a lot of really hard work.

Sounds fine to me.

Inkopolitia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Inkopolitia » Tue May 14, 2019 1:17 pm

Heloin wrote:
Inkopolitia wrote:Porting games to PC and not even paying to play them is not pirating?

Oh, and that, I should have worded myself better. Good luck playing online Nintendo games on PC. :lol2:

I'd gladly pay the people creating the emulators, there pretty cool and do a lot of really hard work.

Sounds fine to me.

They do hard work? Yes, they do. But that doesn't mean it's morally right to port games illegally.

Each to their own, I guess. For me, ths fun comes in an Online form. I have sank more than 3000 hours on Splatoon 1 and 2.
squid
female who is (unapologetically) in love with females ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5.75, -5.33

Federal Spanish States
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 19, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Federal Spanish States » Tue May 14, 2019 1:20 pm

Rio Cana wrote:
Hammer Britannia wrote:Gamers, we should not fight.

PC, Console, Both, we all face the same enemy: Society. We must rise up against society and then wipe out the Mobile Gamers before establishing a world of unity and peace for gamers.

Society just needs to pull the electric plug and no more PC's or consoles. Some of those modern ones especially like to eat power like there is no tomorrow.

Read this - on PC's for gaming. Seems some use more energy then three refrigerators. - https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ ... rigerators

This on the consoles - https://www.nrdc.org/experts/pierre-del ... waste-when

First article:
Kinda... nonsensical. First things first, we're talking about HIGH END here. PC's are varied.ç

Second:
Okay. Average time, or too much fucking time?
Yesn't signature.
The consequences of the creation of NSG have been disastrous for NS as a whole. NSG Delenda Est.
Apparently, the guy who coined the term "Drewpocalypse". No longer active on this account, has moved on to Foehn Paramilitary Regions.
- Yesn't is the only legal way to say no. Change my mind.
- You ever mod your nation's flag into a game just for a dumb idea? Yeah...
- The Spanish keyboard layout is underrated.
- henlo.
- How to avoid getting summerposted on F7

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Tue May 14, 2019 1:20 pm

Rio Cana wrote:
Hammer Britannia wrote:Gamers, we should not fight.

PC, Console, Both, we all face the same enemy: Society. We must rise up against society and then wipe out the Mobile Gamers before establishing a world of unity and peace for gamers.

Society just needs to pull the electric plug and no more PC's or consoles. Some of those modern ones especially like to eat power like there is no tomorrow.

Read this - on PC's for gaming. Seems some use more energy then three refrigerators. - https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ ... rigerators

This on the consoles - https://www.nrdc.org/experts/pierre-del ... waste-when

And so?

Also, a refridgerator runs 24/7. A PC or a console - considerably less.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Tue May 14, 2019 1:24 pm

Thermodolia wrote:PC master race representing. You may now bow down

Seriously though, who cares? Sometimes I wanna play Halo, other times it's Europa Universalis. Variety is the spice of life.

Also, gaming thread is over there. This should be locked or merged with that.
Last edited by Hirota on Tue May 14, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue May 14, 2019 1:25 pm

Inkopolitia wrote:
Heloin wrote:I'd gladly pay the people creating the emulators, there pretty cool and do a lot of really hard work.

Sounds fine to me.

They do hard work? Yes, they do. But that doesn't mean it's morally right to port games illegally.

Each to their own, I guess. For me, ths fun comes in an Online form. I have sank more than 3000 hours on Splatoon 1 and 2.

If a company wants to lock games out of the PC market because it has so little faith in their consule then that's the company's problem.

Inkopolitia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Inkopolitia » Tue May 14, 2019 1:31 pm

Heloin wrote:
Inkopolitia wrote:They do hard work? Yes, they do. But that doesn't mean it's morally right to port games illegally.

If a company wants to lock games out of the PC market because it has so little faith in their consule then that's the company's problem.

It's not having no faith in their console, and it's not the company's problem, it's called "Business". It's a dick move to illegally port a game to PC because you're too much of a cheap person to buy a console that has the game you want to play.
squid
5.75, -5.33

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue May 14, 2019 1:37 pm

Inkopolitia wrote:
Heloin wrote:If a company wants to lock games out of the PC market because it has so little faith in their consule then that's the company's problem.

It's not having no faith in their console, and it's not the company's problem, it's called "Business". It's a dick move to illegally port a game to PC because you're too much of a cheap person to buy a console that has the game you want to play.

Calling me a dick because I play Bubble Bobble on my laptop? Harsh matey.

Inkopolitia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Inkopolitia » Tue May 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Heloin wrote:
Inkopolitia wrote:It's not having no faith in their console, and it's not the company's problem, it's called "Business". It's a dick move to illegally port a game to PC because you're too much of a cheap person to buy a console that has the game you want to play.

Calling me a dick because I play Bubble Bobble on my laptop? Harsh matey.

I never called you a dick. I called it a dick move. And I was saying that porting Console games illegally is a dick move. Do you happen to port them yourself?
squid
5.75, -5.33

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue May 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Inkopolitia wrote:
Heloin wrote:I'd gladly pay the people creating the emulators, there pretty cool and do a lot of really hard work.

Sounds fine to me.

If the original developers don't want to take my money than its not morally wrong for me not to force them. The dick move is trying to force us to jump through hoops just so that we can give THEM our money.
Last edited by Purpelia on Tue May 14, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Inkopolitia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Inkopolitia » Tue May 14, 2019 1:41 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Inkopolitia wrote:They do hard work? Yes, they do. But that doesn't mean it's morally right to port games illegally.

If the original developers don't want to take my money than its not morally wrong for me not to force them. The dick move is trying to force us to jump through hoops just so that we can give THEM our money.

Then again, it's business, pirating games, at least in my opinion, is a dick move. It's called business, business creates competition between different companies, and competition creates better games. That's at least how I see it.
squid
5.75, -5.33

The United Artherian Federation
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The United Artherian Federation » Tue May 14, 2019 1:45 pm

What? What is this? The consoles are infighting?
PC Master race is where its at. Consoles are crap imo. You can't browse the internet, order things off of amazon or (most importantly) use NS!

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue May 14, 2019 1:48 pm

Inkopolitia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:If the original developers don't want to take my money than its not morally wrong for me not to force them. The dick move is trying to force us to jump through hoops just so that we can give THEM our money.

Then again, it's business, pirating games, at least in my opinion, is a dick move. It's called business, business creates competition between different companies, and competition creates better games. That's at least how I see it.

They could make more money selling games on both PC and their consule. If they want to restrict their market reach and refuse to take my money fine by me.

Inkopolitia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Inkopolitia » Tue May 14, 2019 1:52 pm

Heloin wrote:
Inkopolitia wrote:Then again, it's business, pirating games, at least in my opinion, is a dick move. It's called business, business creates competition between different companies, and competition creates better games. That's at least how I see it.

They could make more money selling games on both PC and their consule. If they want to restrict their market reach and refuse to take my money fine by me.

If they did that, the console market would quickly die (Which would be a pretty big blow to every company that focuses on games and consoles). Assuming that consoles didn't die, that's fine and dandy, go play your PC games, but if those games aren't available on PC, it just feels like a dick move to me to rob a company of it's money.
squid
5.75, -5.33

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue May 14, 2019 1:57 pm

Inkopolitia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:If the original developers don't want to take my money than its not morally wrong for me not to force them. The dick move is trying to force us to jump through hoops just so that we can give THEM our money.

And pirating games that don't get ported to the PC serves to demonstrate to those businesses that there is demand for their product on the PC market and thus incentivizes them to expand into said market. Thus everybody wins in the long run.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Tue May 14, 2019 1:57 pm

Inkopolitia wrote:
Heloin wrote:They could make more money selling games on both PC and their consule. If they want to restrict their market reach and refuse to take my money fine by me.

If they did that, the console market would quickly die (Which would be a pretty big blow to every company that focuses on games and consoles). Assuming that consoles didn't die, that's fine and dandy, go play your PC games, but if those games aren't available on PC, it just feels like a dick move to me to rob a company of it's money.

It's not robbery. If a company is not trying to enter a market, grey and black market dealings are A-OK. If they don't enter it and lose money, it's their fault.

Companies are here to serve us, not the other way around.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue May 14, 2019 2:00 pm

Inkopolitia wrote:
Heloin wrote:They could make more money selling games on both PC and their consule. If they want to restrict their market reach and refuse to take my money fine by me.

So allowing console games onto PC will kill the console industry? That's a laughable prospect right there.

Pirating games is bad, but if companies don't want to provide me with a way of buying there product I'll gladly pirate it with not the slightest since of guilt.

Inkopolitia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Inkopolitia » Tue May 14, 2019 2:00 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:
Inkopolitia wrote:If they did that, the console market would quickly die (Which would be a pretty big blow to every company that focuses on games and consoles). Assuming that consoles didn't die, that's fine and dandy, go play your PC games, but if those games aren't available on PC, it just feels like a dick move to me to rob a company of it's money.

It's not robbery. If a company is not trying to enter a market, grey and black market dealings are A-OK. If they don't enter it and lose money, it's their fault.

It is robbery, be ause you are using their product illegally without paying them.
Purpelia wrote:
Inkopolitia wrote:Then again, it's business, pirating games, at least in my opinion, is a dick move. It's called business, business creates competition between different companies, and competition creates better games. That's at least how I see it.

And pirating games that don't get ported to the PC serves to demonstrate to those businesses that there is demand for their product on the PC market and thus incentivizes them to expand into said market. Thus everybody wins in the long run.

As long as it brings the release date of Splatoon 3 closer then fine by me lol. But as of now, pirating games is still illegal and a dick move imo
squid
5.75, -5.33

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Tue May 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Inkopolitia wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:It's not robbery. If a company is not trying to enter a market, grey and black market dealings are A-OK. If they don't enter it and lose money, it's their fault.

It is robbery, be ause you are using their product illegally without paying them.

If those SOBs want money, they better make a product that makes me pay.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue May 14, 2019 2:06 pm

Inkopolitia wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:It's not robbery. If a company is not trying to enter a market, grey and black market dealings are A-OK. If they don't enter it and lose money, it's their fault.

Purpelia wrote:And pirating games that don't get ported to the PC serves to demonstrate to those businesses that there is demand for their product on the PC market and thus incentivizes them to expand into said market. Thus everybody wins in the long run.

As long as it brings the release date of Splatoon 3 closer then fine by me lol. But as of now, pirating games is still illegal and a dick move imo

Stealing copies of Bloggo's Pow is wrong.

Inkopolitia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Inkopolitia » Tue May 14, 2019 2:11 pm

Heloin wrote:
Inkopolitia wrote:It is robbery, be ause you are using their product illegally without paying them.

Stealing copies of Bloggo's Pow is wrong.

TL;DW. Can you give me a summary?
squid
5.75, -5.33

United States of Americanas
Envoy

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United States of Americanas » Tue May 14, 2019 2:16 pm

Inkopolitia wrote:

Purpelia wrote:And pirating games that don't get ported to the PC serves to demonstrate to those businesses that there is demand for their product on the PC market and thus incentivizes them to expand into said market. Thus everybody wins in the long run.

To shut the piracy wingnuts up.

If you own a copy of the game for console then you have a legal right to use an emulator to play it on your computer.

If you never bought the game and download ROMS for it then it is indeed piracy.

All that put aside I’m putting my vote for PS3 PS4 and Nintendo Switch on the board.

Not a huge fan of Xbox. For how expensive it is and game pricing I’ll just use my gaming PC & Steam. Then I don’t have to deal with the wonky Xbox controller, I can use whatever controller I want.

As a person who grew up on Sega Genesis NES and small form factor controllers I prefer the Sony PS3 controller for use on my gaming PC.

If I had to select just one console to crown as the best console out there I’d vote Ps4
Political Compass as of Jul 17 2022

Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

Damn right I’m a liberal democratic socialist. I sit in the ranks of Caroline Lucas

Inkopolitia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Inkopolitia » Tue May 14, 2019 2:20 pm

United States of Americanas wrote:
Inkopolitia wrote:It is robbery, be ause you are using their product illegally without paying them.

To shut the piracy wingnuts up.

If you own a copy of the game for console then you have a legal right to use an emulator to play it on your computer.

If you never bought the game and download ROMS for it then it is indeed piracy.

All that put aside I’m putting my vote for PS3 PS4 and Nintendo Switch on the board.

Not a huge fan of Xbox. For how expensive it is and game pricing I’ll just use my gaming PC & Steam. Then I don’t have to deal with the wonky Xbox controller, I can use whatever controller I want.

As a person who grew up on Sega Genesis NES and small form factor controllers I prefer the Sony PS3 controller for use on my gaming PC.

If I had to select just one console to crown as the best console out there I’d vote Ps4

That's a different story. I could see why buying the game on console and playing it with an emulator isn't wrong tbh.
squid
5.75, -5.33

Reploid Productions
Director of Moderation

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Reploid Productions » Tue May 14, 2019 2:25 pm

The United Artherian Federation wrote:What? What is this? The consoles are infighting?
PC Master race is where its at. Consoles are crap imo. You can't browse the internet, order things off of amazon or (most importantly) use NS!

For the record, I have used NS just fine from my Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, and Switch. Hell, I've deleted rule breakers on NS from said consoles! :p
Forum mod since May 8, 2003 -- Game mod since May 19, 2003 -- Nation turned 20 on March 23, 2023!
Sunset's DoGA FAQ - For those using DoGA to make their NS military and such.
One Stop Rules Shop -- Reppy's Sig Workshop -- Getting Help Page
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Char Aznable/Giant Meteor 2024! - Forcing humanity to move into space and progress whether we goddamn want to or not!

Auze
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Tue May 14, 2019 2:34 pm

PC is the only true one.
Hello, I'm an Latter-day Saint kid from South Carolina!
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced ['ɑ.ziː].
My political views are best described as "incoherent"

Anyway, how about a game?
[spoiler=Views I guess]RIP LWDT & RWDT. Y'all did not go gentle into that good night.
In general I am a Centrist

I disown most of my previous posts (with a few exceptions)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General