NATION

PASSWORD

Mandatory Environmental Service

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Derpy hooves

Yes, I support a mandatory environmental service
49%
No, I do not support a mandatory environmental service
42%
Should there be a mandatory environmental service?
10%

Total votes : 84

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun May 12, 2019 8:13 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:
People doing national service get paid.

Or in the states add an incentive that for every year of national service you do a year of post secondary education gets paid for.

Basically making some thing like a GI bill for civilians then.
We already do this for military service.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sun May 12, 2019 8:15 am

I'm against mandatory service of any kind.
Everything is intertwinkled

Badb Catha
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Badb Catha » Sun May 12, 2019 8:17 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Badb Catha wrote:Interesting idea. I do not disapprove, but perhaps a youth organization aimed at instilling environmentalist values would be better? This way they will learn at a younger and more impressionable age of the benefits for environmentalism and will carry on the knowledge and skills learned here into adulthood.

You can do both.

You can massively fund the BSA and GSA and make them into a state program by merging them with other youth organizations. Though I’d say that it shouldn’t be mandatory to join said organization under 18, doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be heavily promoted though

I was speaking more in a general sense than a purely American sense, but I agree all the same and applaud your initiative.
Neo-Fascist
Eastern Christian
Spiritualist
Environmentalist
Ultranationalist

Novitskaya
Civil Servant

Founded: May 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Novitskaya » Sun May 12, 2019 8:19 am

Novus America wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Under my program you’ll have a choice of Military, Environmental, Civil, or Medical Service. Pick one or we’ll pick one for you. You will get paid and like the US military most things will be provided for you.

If you don’t you’ll be stripped of government benefits and thrown in prison

This is what I propose minus the prison.
Instead you get a big tax hike.
Or more technically those who compete it get a tax break.

I just generally don't think people should be forced to do anything, whether it is conscription, the environment, civil duties etc.

If we want to uphold fairness, Democracy, and freedom, we shouldn't force people to do services they possibly don't want to do.

Besides, what if lots of workers have low morale or training? If random people are just thrown at the environment/other things, that would not be good.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun May 12, 2019 8:19 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:For me it depends on when this Doomsday happens.

If it will happen in my lifetime then I can maybe be convinced to support this (provided you can show it would avert the crisis).

It’s 100 plus years down the road then I’m going to oppose it.

I don’t want to be forced to do some environmental labour gig. I want freedom.

That’s where I’d honestly stand on this.

Under my program you’ll have a choice of Military, Environmental, Civil, or Medical Service. Pick one or we’ll pick one for you. You will get paid and like the US military most things will be provided for you.

and how much would these positions pay?

does it come with a permanent job offer after?

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun May 12, 2019 8:20 am

Badb Catha wrote:Interesting idea. I do not disapprove, but perhaps a youth organization aimed at instilling environmentalist values would be better? This way they will learn at a younger and more impressionable age of the benefits for environmentalism and will carry on the knowledge and skills learned here into adulthood.

We do need to convince kids nuclear is our savior not our enemy.
The solution is available and has been 70 years.
But we are too scared of it we would rather die of air pollution than be saved.
Maybe we deserve it TBH.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun May 12, 2019 8:23 am

It'd be an interesting option for conscientious objectors in lieu of compulsory military service (in countries that already have that of course).
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun May 12, 2019 8:23 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Under my program you’ll have a choice of Military, Environmental, Civil, or Medical Service. Pick one or we’ll pick one for you. You will get paid and like the US military most things will be provided for you.

You could always reenlist if doing the military thing.
But sure, if the organization you are working for should have the ability to keep you on after your minimum service.

Job offer would not be guaranteed but they could keep you if you do a good job.

Pay would not be awesome, but enough to meet your basic needs.
Housing would be provide for those needing it as well.
Last edited by Novus America on Sun May 12, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun May 12, 2019 8:23 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

$20,000 base pay. Pay goes up from there.

No. But you could remain in the service you choose or where assigned too
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sun May 12, 2019 8:25 am

In principle, it's not a bad idea. In practice, I suspect the expense of paying those drafted into the service would prove prohibitive.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun May 12, 2019 8:29 am

Novus America wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Or in the states add an incentive that for every year of national service you do a year of post secondary education gets paid for.

Basically making some thing like a GI bill for civilians then.
We already do this for military service.

Indeed.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Liberal Thermidorian Reaction
Secretary

Founded: May 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberal Thermidorian Reaction » Sun May 12, 2019 8:31 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:I'm against mandatory service of any kind.

This ^^
Puppet of LiberNovusAmericae.
I am a non-partisan, believer in Republicanism, and adherent of classical liberalism/Libertarianism.

Novitskaya
Civil Servant

Founded: May 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Novitskaya » Sun May 12, 2019 8:33 am

Liberal Thermidorian Reaction wrote:

This ^^

Same.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun May 12, 2019 8:45 am

Liberal Thermidorian Reaction wrote:

This ^^

The Swiss allow men to opt out of military service in exchange for a lifetime 3% tax hike. We could do similar.

You can opt out of the service in exchange for higher taxes.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sun May 12, 2019 8:47 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Liberal Thermidorian Reaction wrote:This ^^

The Swiss allow men to opt out of military service in exchange for a lifetime 3% tax hike. We could do similar.

Or we could just not punish people for refusing to be punished.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun May 12, 2019 8:51 am

Given that I am already categorically opposed to giving the state the right to force me to change my life style and habits for the purposes of saving the environment I obviously oppose this vehemently.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun May 12, 2019 8:52 am

Novitskaya wrote:
Novus America wrote:
This is what I propose minus the prison.
Instead you get a big tax hike.
Or more technically those who compete it get a tax break.

I just generally don't think people should be forced to do anything, whether it is conscription, the environment, civil duties etc.

If we want to uphold fairness, Democracy, and freedom, we shouldn't force people to do services they possibly don't want to do.

Besides, what if lots of workers have low morale or training? If random people are just thrown at the environment/other things, that would not be good.

Which is why it would be strongly encouraged (via tax breaks and government benefits), not forced.
And it would not be just throwing them at it.
People would be able to pick a certified job from a certified employer, generally only assigned one if they cannot find one. And assigned to a job best fitting them if assigned one.
Last edited by Novus America on Sun May 12, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun May 12, 2019 9:04 am

Telconi wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

It's not a punishment. It's an option.

People aren't "Punished" for not having children merely because a tax break exists if you do have them.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun May 12, 2019 9:06 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Telconi wrote:

People aren't "Punished" for not having children merely because a tax break exists if you do have them.

Actually that is exactly what they are. Tax breaks for anyone literally means that the rest of us have to be taxed more to make up for the difference.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sun May 12, 2019 9:06 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Telconi wrote:

An option with penalties.

Nobody is assessed a childless tax.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun May 12, 2019 9:08 am

Telconi wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

We probably should do that actually. Would help boost our numbers
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun May 12, 2019 9:10 am

Telconi wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

So do a general tax hike and then offer a tax break for signing up. Happy?
Ostro.MOV

Skyhooked
Senator

Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyhooked » Sun May 12, 2019 9:13 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Telconi wrote:

We probably should do that actually. Would help boost our numbers

From practical perspective it's all quantity over quality. There are many greedy people out there, who don't know shit about raising kids, so some may grow into totally spoiled brats, or even junkies and criminals. Child is not a hamster, and requires great responsibility and readiness to change the lifestyle. Better not tamper with that. Or tread carefully.
Skyhooked is MT/PMT with a few FT elements. Military is factbook only. NS stats are mostly non canon.
If you wanna know more about this haven of sin: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=418281&start=1

Our country offers: Alcohol, guns, cigars, weed, gambling, beaches and tons of souvenirs. And our current special: PL-74 Plasma rifle 25% discount!

Refreshing News:
Skyhooked is at war with Octavia, still holding agaisnt endless hordes of robots, vampires and traitors of humanity!/Global Defense Council was formed to help Earth hold agaisnt invasion./Luckily, we survived long enough and forces of Mandate of Humanity have arrived. (https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=484352)

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun May 12, 2019 9:15 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Telconi wrote:

That is literally no different. Stop trying to force environmentalism on people. That's the same strategy SJW use for their goals.

If you want people to follow you toward a goal lead them, don't force them through fear of penalty or taxation. For that is the way of tyrants.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sun May 12, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun May 12, 2019 9:17 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Telconi wrote:

This is actually incredibly devious. I'm impressed.

:)
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sun May 12, 2019 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General