NATION

PASSWORD

Learning about white privilege is anti-white, studies prove

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How shocked?

I've been telling them this for a while
57%
I admit it's disturbing and will reconsider my beliefs
4%
I don't believe the evidence
6%
I disagree with the conclusions OP has drawn from the evidence
32%

Total votes : 342

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Fri May 10, 2019 10:04 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:I'm a bit curious about actually obtaining their full data set, as well as the studies on white privilege they provided to the subjects. Variables such as the class composition of the respondents appears to be missing, which could offer considerable insight into the manner in which the respondents held familiarity with class inequality and the struggles it presents.

The findings of the study strike me as odd, which makes me really curious about the materials being shared with the respondents. I know of few classes that will teach about white privilege without also touching on class inequality and the systemic barriers provided by it, as well as its relation to racial and sexual inequalities.

The specifics of the situations provided to the respondents as examples also are important to consider. We know that the example provided to them is identical aside from Kevin being identified as black in one example and white in another, but the situations Kevin finds himself in for the example remains unclear to the reader. The difference of Kevin's race actually could drastically alter the manner in which he experiences the situation offers.

This is an interesting study, but the number of variables not included within the report gives me pause as someone who has conducted social research. If the findings indicate that teaching of white privilege without also including discussion of class inequality reduce empathy for the white poor, then obviously such a lack of an intersectional analysis needs to be addressed. This does not in any way indicate, as many in this thread have been suggesting, that white privilege is fake and some conspiratorial ploy to reduce sympathy for white people, or that the evidence for it should be discarded and lessons on it discontinued from classes concerning racial identity and inequality.

Prejudice and incompetence doesn't need to be a conspiracy. White privilege is a story you tell about facts to frame them in a narrative, it is not a fact in and of itself, and it involves selecting certain facts and ignoring others to present that narrative. If the result is lower sympathy for white people, that makes it a bad narrative. "fake" or "real" doesn't enter into it.

It's not the first study to draw similar conclusions. A while back there was a study with homeless people that noted if the subject was white, sympathy was reduced, and that took place in a radically different environment with different things being studied.
The existence of white privilege is supported be the enormous statistical advantage white people in America are offered in wide swaths of life. Incarceration rates, hiring rates, loan approval, housing, police violence, social trust, adoption, treatment by medical officials, etc. The advantages white Americans accrue as a consequence of their race when all other variables are accounted for can't be ignored.

Studies like these are interesting, but there are some problems with trying to quantify sympathy like we do more concrete subjects such as hiring rates, loan approval rates, and the like. These are further complicated by the existence of priming. Subjects like to be compliant to researchers and offer them the answers they think they would like to hear. In matters of race, people generally want to be seen as non-racist. Studies looking into attitudes towards questions such as "would you be okay with your child marrying someone of another race" or "would you be play voting for a candidate of another race", will overwhelmingly see yes responses as the subjects understand a no response will be seen as racist. Yet when the same people are given implicit bias tests, which function by flashing images of different people and things on the screen and have the subjects make associations with them, subjects are more likely to make negative associations with images of black people and take longer to select positive associations for them if they do so.

A subject who is given material on white privilege before a test will have been primed to consciously try to make their choices appear non-racist. An over correction of their responses and behavior to do so is to be expected. If you gave them this information and then tested them months afterwards, would the results be the same? When the respondents went out into the world, did they feel more sympathetic to poor black people they passed in the street than poor white people?

Sympathy is an immensely hard matter to accurately pin down and quantity. With the general lack of information provided on how this test was conducted and what other variables were accounted for, making such sweeping conclusions as "teaching people about white privilege will make them less empathetic to poor white people" does not seem appropriate.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri May 10, 2019 10:10 am

Threlizdun wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
Prejudice and incompetence doesn't need to be a conspiracy. White privilege is a story you tell about facts to frame them in a narrative, it is not a fact in and of itself, and it involves selecting certain facts and ignoring others to present that narrative. If the result is lower sympathy for white people, that makes it a bad narrative. "fake" or "real" doesn't enter into it.

It's not the first study to draw similar conclusions. A while back there was a study with homeless people that noted if the subject was white, sympathy was reduced, and that took place in a radically different environment with different things being studied.
The existence of white privilege is supported be the enormous statistical advantage white people in America are offered in wide swaths of life. Incarceration rates, hiring rates, loan approval, housing, police violence, social trust, adoption, treatment by medical officials, etc. The advantages white Americans accrue as a consequence of their race when all other variables are accounted for can't be ignored.

Studies like these are interesting, but there are some problems with trying to quantify sympathy like we do more concrete subjects such as hiring rates, loan approval rates, and the like. These are further complicated by the existence of priming. Subjects like to be compliant to researchers and offer them the answers they think they would like to hear. In matters of race, people generally want to be seen as non-racist. Studies looking into attitudes towards questions such as "would you be okay with your child marrying someone of another race" or "would you be play voting for a candidate of another race", will overwhelmingly see yes responses as the subjects understand a no response will be seen as racist. Yet when the same people are given implicit bias tests, which function by flashing images of different people and things on the screen and have the subjects make associations with them, subjects are more likely to make negative associations with images of black people and take longer to select positive associations for them if they do so.

A subject who is given material on white privilege before a test will have been primed to consciously try to make their choices appear non-racist. An over correction of their responses and behavior to do so is to be expected. If you gave them this information and then tested them months afterwards, would the results be the same? When the respondents went out into the world, did they feel more sympathetic to poor black people they passed in the street than poor white people?

Sympathy is an immensely hard matter to accurately pin down and quantity. With the general lack of information provided on how this test was conducted and what other variables were accounted for, making such sweeping conclusions as "teaching people about white privilege will make them less empathetic to poor white people" does not seem appropriate.

No threl. The difference between black people and white people in those fields is well studied and well founded.

Calling those differences "White privilege"? That's narrative, that's storytelling. You can just as well call them black disadvantage and say Whites are at the level everyone should be, or some other narrative, such as both whites and blacks being disadvantaged by the presence of racism in society, but one moreso than the other, and so on. The framing of the issue as white privilege not factual, it is a political narrative, and that political narrative appears to lower empathy for the group they are discussing without actually helping anybody.

Your priming point is a good one and a reason for further study, however, i'd argue that the prevalence of white privilege in the political narrative produces a situation of constant priming, especially in the modern era of social media and social media witchhunts, which produce an environment of constant observation akin to a testing environment after having been primed.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri May 10, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri May 10, 2019 10:12 am

Privilege theory has only ever been a means to delegitimize and dehumanize opponents to the lefts kooky religion, so i'm not surprised.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Arayas
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Arayas » Fri May 10, 2019 10:15 am

White privilege is an excuse anti-white racists use to dimish the achievments of white people.
Literally everyone except whites have institutionalized preferences towards them to help them succeed and yet white hating racists want to talk about a magical white supremacist conspiracy that they blame all their problems on.
“Fascism was born to inspire a faith not of the Right (which at bottom aspires to conserve everything, even injustice) or of the Left (which at bottom aspires to destroy everything, even goodness), but a collective, integral, national faith.”— José Antonio Primo de Rivera

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Fri May 10, 2019 10:18 am

Aclion wrote:Privilege theory has only ever been a means to delegitimize and dehumanize opponents to the lefts kooky religion, so i'm not surprised.

Because the left only knows how to build up one group by denigrating another.

Formerly men had an enormous amount of "privilege" over women in the US. However, thanks to decades of progressive theology the pendulum has swung far in the other direction. Women now outnumber men at American colleges and universities, and women are treated far better than men by courts.

The only way they know how to build up one group is at the expense of another.
Last edited by Nova Cyberia on Fri May 10, 2019 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri May 10, 2019 10:19 am

Nova Cyberia wrote:
Aclion wrote:Privilege theory has only ever been a means to delegitimize and dehumanize opponents to the lefts kooky religion, so i'm not surprised.

Because the left only knows how to build up one group by denigrating another.

Formerly men had an enormous amount of "privilege" over men. However, thanks to decades of progressive theology the pendulum has swung far in the other direction. Women now outnumber men at American colleges and universities, and women are treated far better than men by courts.

I am a person on the left and I've been bitching about these topics for years. It's a very particular ideological strain on the left that acts this way.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Fri May 10, 2019 10:25 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:Because the left only knows how to build up one group by denigrating another.

Formerly men had an enormous amount of "privilege" over men. However, thanks to decades of progressive theology the pendulum has swung far in the other direction. Women now outnumber men at American colleges and universities, and women are treated far better than men by courts.

I am a person on the left and I've been bitching about these topics for years. It's a very particular ideological strain on the left that acts this way.

You're an anamoly, unfortunately. You can tell by how the other leftists here treat you with such disdain.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Skarten
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Fri May 10, 2019 10:27 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:Because the left only knows how to build up one group by denigrating another.

Well, then i fear you're quite alone. Center, perhaps, but you can see that we've reached a point where opinions such as yours are considered center/right wing.
Last edited by Skarten on Fri May 10, 2019 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

I WISH I Had Some of That White Privilege You All Talk About

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Fri May 10, 2019 10:28 am

YOU DON'T SAY?!

It's almost like teaching whites to hate themselves for the sins of some centuries-old ancestor, and telling non-whites that whites are the reason they deal with racism and hardship BREEDS HATRED AGAINST WHITES!

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT TEACHING HATRED MAKES HATERS?! :o :o :eek: :eek: :shock: :shock:
Last edited by TURTLESHROOM II on Fri May 10, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus loves you and died for you!
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
"NOOKULAR" STOCKPILE: 701,033 fission and dropping, 7 fusion.
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

Proctopeo wrote:anarcho-von habsburgism

Lillorainen wrote:"Tengri's balls, [do] boys really never grow up?!"
Nuroblav wrote:On the contrary! Seize the means of ROBOT ARMS!
News ticker (updated 4/6/2024 AD):

As TS adapts to new normal, large flagellant sects remain -|- TurtleShroom forfeits imperial dignity -|- "Skibidi Toilet" creator awarded highest artistic honor for contributions to wholesome family entertainment (obscene gestures cut out)

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri May 10, 2019 10:28 am

Nova Cyberia wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

You're an anamoly, unfortunately. You can tell by how the other leftists here treat you with such disdain.

It's because it's his only trick, to the extent he's willing to sabotage literally any other self-proclaimed policy he might have.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri May 10, 2019 10:29 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:I heard it was traced moreso to westward colonization, where prior to that people were "English" "Irish" "Slavic" and so on. Chinese Christian families began adopting white children in one of the colonies states in the US, and the whites absolutely flipped their shit and developed a collective identity of those kids being "Theirs" because they were "White", banding together, seizing the kids, and driving the Chinese out of town. Then the media went ballistic about it and was like CHINESE STEALIN KIDS and so on, and from then on realized they could pitch "Whites" as a united group.

That might be more of a genesis for "White as One People" concept rather than "Whiteness" itself though. I kind of assumed that "Black" was the designation for slave, but people didn't refer to "White" for a while yet, instead referring to "Anglo-saxon" and so on.

There were many keystone moments for white solidarity overcoming differing nationalities but the idea that grew out of and actually required that there was already an "us" to white people. What I'm referring to is how important it was to get people who were too poor to own slaves and were often not quite free themselves to support the institution of slavery. The way slavery usually worked was you had a bunch of slaves a bunch of guys controlling them on a sugar plantation or a mine or something and that was that. In America though you had slave owners, their slaves, their guys, and then a bunch of poor farmers, fishermen, etc. who didn't benefit from your arrangement and may even suffer from less work to go around. They could even stand to benefit if there was a slave rebellion that toppled the people who had everything. Black slaves didn't know the land, couldn't read, had no contacts or roots, and stuck out like sore thumbs- the white poor were not so encumbered. The slightest bit of mingling between the two groups could topple american slavery or at least precipitate a fuck-off huge massacre. Getting the poor starving masses to help you oppress the poor starving masses is a hell of a trick and they pulled it off by tying white skin to access to social privileges and reinforcing that whiteness as the reason they were above the inferior black and indian population.

To bring this all the way back around highlighting our differences, suggesting our experiences are unique and can't be related to, and elevating the importance of race in our day to day lives are all tools in the arsenal of racists throughout history. Slavery, ethnic cleansing, genocide, this is how you pull it off.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Fri May 10, 2019 10:32 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Hirota wrote:Right now, I'm the only one to vote I don't believe the evidence...But that is because I am wary of two studies from the same source showing similar results - at least that is how I read the article.

Until these results are replicated elsewhere (something difficult to do in these softer sciences) I'll remain skeptical that any breakthrough or meaningful discovery has been made.

I mean personally I can believe it but I'd be wary of proclaiming victory just yet.

Also, I'm uncomfortable with their solution. Intersectionality is not the answer because of how it gets abused.

Prior studies showed that exposure to white homeless people reduced peoples inclination to support higher taxes and welfare, while exposure to black homeless people didn't affect it, which is what I previously used to draw this conclusion, but that was more suggestive and not as explicit as this one.
Fair enough, but if you really seek to change people's minds rather than laud over them, then your evidence has to be comprehensive, and with what I've seen here (when I put my most cynical hat on) seems lacking.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Fri May 10, 2019 11:00 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Liriena wrote:And I still do :)

If constant reference to white privilege without inclusion of class privilege lowers empathy for white people and makes people less empathetic toward them than other races, how is that not racism?

For example, reference to black criminality without important context would be systemic media racism, yes?

Go ahead, what's your reasoning. Previously you could argue that just because an article references white privilege and doesn't mention class doesn't make it de-facto anti-white, we now know that is not the case.

You are acting as if the results of a very specific experiment on white privilege were reflective of a direct motivation on the part of everyone or most people who produce and circulate work related to the concept of white privilege.
be gay do crime

I am:
A pansexual, pantheist, green socialist
An aspiring writer and journalist
Political compass stuff:
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig
if you passed biology and know
gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧

I disown most of my previous posts

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Fri May 10, 2019 11:02 am

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:YOU DON'T SAY?!

It's almost like teaching whites to hate themselves for the sins of some centuries-old ancestor, and telling non-whites that whites are the reason they deal with racism and hardship BREEDS HATRED AGAINST WHITES!

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT TEACHING HATRED MAKES HATERS?! :o :o :eek: :eek: :shock: :shock:

That all caps and overuse of emojis aesthetic [kisses fingers italianly]
Last edited by Liriena on Fri May 10, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
be gay do crime

I am:
Political compass stuff:
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Fri May 10, 2019 11:04 am

The right-wing projection machine is at it again.
be gay do crime

I am:
Political compass stuff:
cynicism

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Fri May 10, 2019 11:08 am

Liriena wrote:

The right-wing projection machine is at it again.

literally just a "nou"
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Fri May 10, 2019 11:13 am

Kustonia wrote:Whites have worked and have fought long and hard for what they have

More like white and non-white workers got exploited for centuries so that the terminally mediocre white bourgeoise could pretend to have an innate, nature or god-given mandate to dominate the world at "lesser" peoples' expense.
be gay do crime

I am:
Political compass stuff:
cynicism

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Fri May 10, 2019 11:14 am

Nova Cyberia wrote:
Liriena wrote:The right-wing projection machine is at it again.

literally just a "nou"

It's "no u".
be gay do crime

I am:
Political compass stuff:
cynicism

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Fri May 10, 2019 11:16 am

Liriena wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:literally just a "nou"

It's "no u".

Any other worthless arguments you'd like to make?
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Fri May 10, 2019 11:17 am

Nova Cyberia wrote:
Liriena wrote:The right-wing projection machine is at it again.

literally just a "nou"

Almost as if something hit too closer to home. But what do I know? /shrug

Anyway, more on the topic, I'm inclined towards the position that "privilege" as it's commonly presented, discussed, and treated is largely a poor, ideologically motivated analysis of reality, though not quite into the realm of "absolute nonsense". As in, there may be a strong valid point somewhere within - but it's never properly approached or addressed, so it's hard to know for sure.

This is especially evident as those that constantly espouse "privilege theory" are inconsistent on where far-east Asians fall, with their level of privilege switching around like a metronome for speedcore. Now, granted, this isn't everybody who flings "privilege" around like an overly aggressive baseball pitcher, but it's far more than enough to bring doubt onto the whole thing.

I didn't intend to make this into a rant :U
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Fri May 10, 2019 11:29 am

Proctopeo wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:literally just a "nou"

Almost as if something hit too closer to home. But what do I know? /shrug

Anyway, more on the topic, I'm inclined towards the position that "privilege" as it's commonly presented, discussed, and treated is largely a poor, ideologically motivated analysis of reality, though not quite into the realm of "absolute nonsense". As in, there may be a strong valid point somewhere within - but it's never properly approached or addressed, so it's hard to know for sure.

This is especially evident as those that constantly espouse "privilege theory" are inconsistent on where far-east Asians fall, with their level of privilege switching around like a metronome for speedcore. Now, granted, this isn't everybody who flings "privilege" around like an overly aggressive baseball pitcher, but it's far more than enough to bring doubt onto the whole thing.

I didn't intend to make this into a rant :U

On the issue of "far-east Asians", that's a bit of its own can of worms, insofar as the "model minority" stereotype doesn't hold up once you start to dig into the actual specific ethnic groups contained within that category. But even then, the relatively advantageous position of that community as a whole on a socioeconomic level doesn't necessarily dispute "privilege theory", as you call it, any more than the existence of poor or homeless white people does, unless we are talking about a "privilege theory" that ignores issues like class struggle or historical context... which would be weird if that same theory happened to measure privilege exclusively on the basis of socioeconomic status.

Does "white privilege" get abused? Probably. Specially online. Scientific, philosophical and political jargon are inevitably going to get abused and turned into oversimplified thought-terminating clichés when the platforms where those ideas are shared the most today are extremely horizontal, there is practically no barrier of entry, and attention is their main currency, rather than rigour and nuance. Most people don't want to read a thoughtful post thousands of words long about the intricacies of racial categorizations and their material consequences. A lot of people just want drama and the satisfaction of oversimplified black-and-white moral dichotomies. It's the same reason why the online right fell madly in love with the "SJW" stereotype and proceeded to expand it until it included anyone whose hair color and gender expression they didn't like.
be gay do crime

I am:
Political compass stuff:
cynicism

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Fri May 10, 2019 11:30 am

Nova Cyberia wrote:
Liriena wrote:It's "no u".

Any other worthless arguments you'd like to make?

That wasn't an argument. Chill.
be gay do crime

I am:
Political compass stuff:
cynicism

Klorgia1
Envoy

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Klorgia1 » Fri May 10, 2019 11:36 am

If you show them this and then immediately after show them such a story, of course the mind draws these must be related; The sequence of reading is saying one caused the other.

As for white privilege, focusing on privilege as oppose to what other ethnicities don't have will likely do this, but understanding the History is needed, and that will inevitably show the problems ethnicities have faced full force. The trick is teaching this history as something everyone is suffering together, and just because one group might have (or is) suffering more on the whole, doesn't mean thats always true. Individuals can suffer just as much or more, race is only a part of any equation, and true equality will come from treating everyone as, well, equals.

It might also be worth noting the idea of economic transformation in Southern states specifically that uses the suffering of a lower-class across all races as a major marker (though there is the issue that empathy might end up playing out in Rich v. Poor instead).

Oh, and shoutout to Vice, a liberal company, for bringing this to the forefront. It'll be interesting to see how much the idea's of privilege are still talked about the next time we have a Liberal to Reactionary cycle.
Last edited by Klorgia1 on Fri May 10, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
News: This Sig Still Exists.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Fri May 10, 2019 11:36 am

So being less likely to get brutalized or gunned down by cops during a routine traffic stop compared to people of color isn't a privilege?
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Fri May 10, 2019 11:43 am

Gormwood wrote:So being less likely to get brutalized or gunned down by cops during a routine traffic stop compared to people of color isn't a privilege?

At the risk of maybe not reflecting his views properly, I'm pretty sure Ostro's argument is that, in order to be considered a privilege, white people would actually have to demonstrably benefit from that disadvantage faced by black people. As in, they would have to be receiving an advantage, rather than a lack of disadvantages.
be gay do crime

I am:
Political compass stuff:
cynicism

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General