NATION

PASSWORD

Learning about white privilege is anti-white, studies prove

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How shocked?

I've been telling them this for a while
194
57%
I admit it's disturbing and will reconsider my beliefs
15
4%
I don't believe the evidence
22
6%
I disagree with the conclusions OP has drawn from the evidence
108
32%
 
Total votes : 339

User avatar
Aglanen
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 138
Founded: Dec 29, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Aglanen » Fri May 10, 2019 8:12 am

This poll's hilarious. You may as well have written

1. I agree

2. I strongly agree

3. I'm an idiot for disagreeing
My nation does mostly reflect my personal views.
PRO: Marxism-Leninism, Revolutionary politics, Secularism, Dialectical materialism, social libertarianism, feminism (most of it), LGBT rights, Absurdism, Science, Constructivism, Industrialism
NEUTRAL: Egoism, Nihilism, Environmentalism, "Spiritual" non-conformist religions/sects, Anarchism, Left Communism, Third Worldism, Non-Binaries, Left-Wing nationalism
ANTI: Racism, Sexism, (other equally moronic prejudices)-ism, Fascism, Imperialism, Capitalism, "Dark Enlightenment," Organized Religion, Liberalism, Social Democracy, Conservatism, Objective Morality

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 51114
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri May 10, 2019 8:13 am

Aglanen wrote:This poll's hilarious. You may as well have written

1. I agree

2. I strongly agree

3. I'm an idiot for disagreeing


If you can think of a valid forth option i'll add it.
Do you remember the 2012 election where Mitt Romney said Russia was the biggest threat to world peace and Obama and the Democratic establishment mocked him, mere years before they began arguing they had allowed US sovereignty to be usurped on their watch by Russia and this is why the other side was unfit to govern?
That's alright, neither do they apparently.

User avatar
Caracasus
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 7595
Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Caracasus » Fri May 10, 2019 8:15 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Aglanen wrote:This poll's hilarious. You may as well have written

1. I agree

2. I strongly agree

3. I'm an idiot for disagreeing


If you can think of a valid forth option i'll add it.


How about 'while interesting, I disagree with the conclusions that OP has drawn here.'
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!



Issues editor, not a moderator.

User avatar
Sungai Pusat
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15049
Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sungai Pusat » Fri May 10, 2019 8:16 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Sungai Pusat wrote:See, the reason why people went "gosh, why is that white person so poor" is probably because they were only exposed to one form of privilege that can exist.


Nonetheless, white privilege reduced empathy for whites rather than increasing empathy for blacks, so what good is it exactly?

You know. Like the study says it does.


Not all it says.

Also, the logical extremes would suggest that talking about privilege of any kind, some of which you would hopefully agree really does fucking exist (e.g... the privilege of having more money to start with in your life versus having little at all) would be bad because it would encourage anti-rich people sentiments, even though not everyone who is rich is a bad person.


You can stop being rich, you can't stop being white.

The fault in your interpretation of this is assuming that all this exists as a simple on-off switch; talk about one form of privilege is bad because anti-people "with that privilege", supposedly because, y'know, poverty. Talking about them all means everyone suddenly becomes anti-white/rich/Christian/male, etc.


Pretty much. Because you can talk about how people face problems, rather than bitterly noting how other people don't. What's your excuse for that type of framing device?

Instead of recognising that having less empathy for someone based on the things they're supposedly privileged for is kind of fucking nonsensical because hey, maybe they've got some other bullshit in their life, like... being poor. Or being LGBT. Or having mental issues, etc.


And yet, that's what the study shows.

It's a whole fucking system. Just as the professor. Fucking. Mentioned.


No actually, they rationalized that excuse but didn't study it to back it up.

Oh god, this is "anti racist = anti white" with a new coat of paint, isn't it?


Well, do you have a counter argument?



I will apologise for going off the cuff on most of this thread; the more posts come up about this, the more I'm realising that the issue you have/that exists with this lies with the phrasing of the issue, rather than with the notion of it existing to begin with.

Especially for the comment in question comparing this to neo-nazi bullshit.
Last edited by Sungai Pusat on Fri May 10, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now mostly a politik discuss account.

User avatar
An Alan Smithee Nation
Minister
 
Posts: 2873
Founded: Apr 18, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Fri May 10, 2019 8:18 am

Vice Media founded by the same person who founded neo-fascist group The Proud Boys.

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 51114
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 am

Caracasus wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
If you can think of a valid forth option i'll add it.


How about 'while interesting, I disagree with the conclusions that OP has drawn here.'


Okey doke.

Poll reset due to legitimate grievance with options, options added.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri May 10, 2019 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Do you remember the 2012 election where Mitt Romney said Russia was the biggest threat to world peace and Obama and the Democratic establishment mocked him, mere years before they began arguing they had allowed US sovereignty to be usurped on their watch by Russia and this is why the other side was unfit to govern?
That's alright, neither do they apparently.

User avatar
Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39983
Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Fri May 10, 2019 8:22 am

Well colour me unsurprised.
Tʜᴇ Sᴛʀᴀssᴇʀɪsᴛ Sᴜɴᴅᴀᴇ Cʟᴜʙ ᴏғ Dᴜᴍʙ Iᴅᴇᴏʟᴏɢɪᴇs
¸„¤*˜*¤„¸„¤*˜*¤„¸ If it's too sweet we can add some salt ¸„¤*˜*¤„¸„¤*˜*¤„¸
The thirty-something tsundere trans cryptofascist nobody warned you about
♆ P ᴀ x D I ᴀ ʙ ᴏ ʟ ɪ ᴄ ᴀ ♆

User avatar
LiberNovusAmericae
Senator
 
Posts: 3595
Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Fri May 10, 2019 8:23 am

This is why such ideological brainwashing must be purged from our colleges and our schools.
Supports: Liberty, Capitalism, Libertarianism, Low Taxes, Free Speech, Civic Nationalism, Representative Republics, Secularism, Atheism
Against: Crony Capitalism, Fascism, Nazism, Antifa, Ethnic Nationalism, alt-right, Communism, Socialism, Religion, Totalitarianism, Authoritarianism
Fascists on Gameside have declared me an Enemy of the State! lol.
Farnhamia wrote:It's not a community, it's a discussion thread. It says so in the title. The rules apply there just as they do everywhere else. Or are you suggesting we create a "no go" thread, where only Muslims can post? Maybe you can have your own Moderators, too, and throw non-Muslims out. Not going to happen. Post in English or, as I said when I posted the ruling, in some form tat we can translate via Google or another translation mechanism.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 130713
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ifreann » Fri May 10, 2019 8:23 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Ifreann wrote:So we should figure out how to better educate people to avoid this reaction. I don't think we should throw out facts just because people don't tend to have good reactions to them.

Also, you have a plural in your title that should probably be a singular.


Right, now here's how you do that.

Talk about disadvantage, not privilege. Real simple.

I figure that people who, you know, actually know about this stuff will work something out. Maybe people who didn't start with the conclusion they wanted and then worked backwards to find evidence for it.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

User avatar
LiberNovusAmericae
Senator
 
Posts: 3595
Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Fri May 10, 2019 8:26 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Vice Media founded by the same person who founded neo-fascist group The Proud Boys.

He was a co-founder actually, and he no longer seems to be a part of Vice.
Supports: Liberty, Capitalism, Libertarianism, Low Taxes, Free Speech, Civic Nationalism, Representative Republics, Secularism, Atheism
Against: Crony Capitalism, Fascism, Nazism, Antifa, Ethnic Nationalism, alt-right, Communism, Socialism, Religion, Totalitarianism, Authoritarianism
Fascists on Gameside have declared me an Enemy of the State! lol.
Farnhamia wrote:It's not a community, it's a discussion thread. It says so in the title. The rules apply there just as they do everywhere else. Or are you suggesting we create a "no go" thread, where only Muslims can post? Maybe you can have your own Moderators, too, and throw non-Muslims out. Not going to happen. Post in English or, as I said when I posted the ruling, in some form tat we can translate via Google or another translation mechanism.

User avatar
Vassenor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 44157
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri May 10, 2019 8:27 am

So we're supposed to be complaining that people don't think white people are the greatest race ever again?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Hufflepuff/Team Mystic

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 58919
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri May 10, 2019 8:28 am

Vassenor wrote:So we're supposed to be complaining that people don't think white people are the greatest race ever again?

No, but if you ever actually bothered to read a post on NSG in its entirety you would know that.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
LiberNovusAmericae
Senator
 
Posts: 3595
Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Fri May 10, 2019 8:28 am

Ifreann wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
Right, now here's how you do that.

Talk about disadvantage, not privilege. Real simple.

I figure that people who, you know, actually know about this stuff will work something out. Maybe people who didn't start with the conclusion they wanted and then worked backwards to find evidence for it.

Like many grievance studies professors didn't start with the conclusions they wanted. :roll:
Supports: Liberty, Capitalism, Libertarianism, Low Taxes, Free Speech, Civic Nationalism, Representative Republics, Secularism, Atheism
Against: Crony Capitalism, Fascism, Nazism, Antifa, Ethnic Nationalism, alt-right, Communism, Socialism, Religion, Totalitarianism, Authoritarianism
Fascists on Gameside have declared me an Enemy of the State! lol.
Farnhamia wrote:It's not a community, it's a discussion thread. It says so in the title. The rules apply there just as they do everywhere else. Or are you suggesting we create a "no go" thread, where only Muslims can post? Maybe you can have your own Moderators, too, and throw non-Muslims out. Not going to happen. Post in English or, as I said when I posted the ruling, in some form tat we can translate via Google or another translation mechanism.

User avatar
LiberNovusAmericae
Senator
 
Posts: 3595
Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Fri May 10, 2019 8:33 am

Vassenor wrote:So we're supposed to be complaining that people don't think white people are the greatest race ever again?

Read before straw-manning!
Supports: Liberty, Capitalism, Libertarianism, Low Taxes, Free Speech, Civic Nationalism, Representative Republics, Secularism, Atheism
Against: Crony Capitalism, Fascism, Nazism, Antifa, Ethnic Nationalism, alt-right, Communism, Socialism, Religion, Totalitarianism, Authoritarianism
Fascists on Gameside have declared me an Enemy of the State! lol.
Farnhamia wrote:It's not a community, it's a discussion thread. It says so in the title. The rules apply there just as they do everywhere else. Or are you suggesting we create a "no go" thread, where only Muslims can post? Maybe you can have your own Moderators, too, and throw non-Muslims out. Not going to happen. Post in English or, as I said when I posted the ruling, in some form tat we can translate via Google or another translation mechanism.

User avatar
Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39983
Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Fri May 10, 2019 8:36 am

Galloism wrote:
Vassenor wrote:So we're supposed to be complaining that people don't think white people are the greatest race ever again?

No, but if you ever actually bothered to read a post on NSG in its entirety you would know that.


It's good to try and push people to become their best selves, but scaling that mountain in one go is a lot to ask.
Tʜᴇ Sᴛʀᴀssᴇʀɪsᴛ Sᴜɴᴅᴀᴇ Cʟᴜʙ ᴏғ Dᴜᴍʙ Iᴅᴇᴏʟᴏɢɪᴇs
¸„¤*˜*¤„¸„¤*˜*¤„¸ If it's too sweet we can add some salt ¸„¤*˜*¤„¸„¤*˜*¤„¸
The thirty-something tsundere trans cryptofascist nobody warned you about
♆ P ᴀ x D I ᴀ ʙ ᴏ ʟ ɪ ᴄ ᴀ ♆

User avatar
Loben The 2nd
Diplomat
 
Posts: 938
Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Loben The 2nd » Fri May 10, 2019 8:37 am

Shocked, but not that shocked.

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 58919
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri May 10, 2019 8:42 am

Dumb Ideologies wrote:
Galloism wrote:No, but if you ever actually bothered to read a post on NSG in its entirety you would know that.


It's good to try and push people to become their best selves, but scaling that mountain in one go is a lot to ask.

What can I say?

I'm an idealist.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 51114
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri May 10, 2019 8:44 am

Ifreann wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
Right, now here's how you do that.

Talk about disadvantage, not privilege. Real simple.

I figure that people who, you know, actually know about this stuff will work something out. Maybe people who didn't start with the conclusion they wanted and then worked backwards to find evidence for it.


Irony.

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Ifreann wrote:I figure that people who, you know, actually know about this stuff will work something out. Maybe people who didn't start with the conclusion they wanted and then worked backwards to find evidence for it.

Like many grievance studies professors didn't start with the conclusions they wanted. :roll:


This.
Do you remember the 2012 election where Mitt Romney said Russia was the biggest threat to world peace and Obama and the Democratic establishment mocked him, mere years before they began arguing they had allowed US sovereignty to be usurped on their watch by Russia and this is why the other side was unfit to govern?
That's alright, neither do they apparently.

User avatar
Hirota
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5398
Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Hirota » Fri May 10, 2019 8:45 am

Right now, I'm the only one to vote I don't believe the evidence...But that is because I am wary of two studies from the same source showing similar results - at least that is how I read the article.

Until these results are replicated elsewhere (something difficult to do in these softer sciences) I'll remain skeptical that any breakthrough or meaningful discovery has been made.

I mean personally I can believe it but I'd be wary of proclaiming victory just yet.

Also, I'm uncomfortable with their solution. Intersectionality is not the answer because of how it gets abused.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted, pedants and koi carp.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.
Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 51114
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri May 10, 2019 8:45 am

I note plenty of the progressives here backpeddling and saying all it proves is that we need to include class in order not to be anti-white have implicitly conceded by doing so that the media is massively racist against white people on a regular basis, since any article not doing so is in effect racism.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri May 10, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you remember the 2012 election where Mitt Romney said Russia was the biggest threat to world peace and Obama and the Democratic establishment mocked him, mere years before they began arguing they had allowed US sovereignty to be usurped on their watch by Russia and this is why the other side was unfit to govern?
That's alright, neither do they apparently.

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 51114
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri May 10, 2019 8:47 am

Hirota wrote:Right now, I'm the only one to vote I don't believe the evidence...But that is because I am wary of two studies from the same source showing similar results - at least that is how I read the article.

Until these results are replicated elsewhere (something difficult to do in these softer sciences) I'll remain skeptical that any breakthrough or meaningful discovery has been made.

I mean personally I can believe it but I'd be wary of proclaiming victory just yet.

Also, I'm uncomfortable with their solution. Intersectionality is not the answer because of how it gets abused.


Prior studies showed that exposure to white homeless people reduced peoples inclination to support higher taxes and welfare, while exposure to black homeless people didn't affect it, which is what I previously used to draw this conclusion, but that was more suggestive and not as explicit as this one.
Do you remember the 2012 election where Mitt Romney said Russia was the biggest threat to world peace and Obama and the Democratic establishment mocked him, mere years before they began arguing they had allowed US sovereignty to be usurped on their watch by Russia and this is why the other side was unfit to govern?
That's alright, neither do they apparently.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 130713
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ifreann » Fri May 10, 2019 8:47 am

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Ifreann wrote:I figure that people who, you know, actually know about this stuff will work something out. Maybe people who didn't start with the conclusion they wanted and then worked backwards to find evidence for it.

Like many grievance studies professors didn't start with the conclusions they wanted. :roll:

What?
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

User avatar
Hirota
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5398
Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Hirota » Fri May 10, 2019 8:47 am

Galloism wrote:
Dumb Ideologies wrote:
It's good to try and push people to become their best selves, but scaling that mountain in one go is a lot to ask.

What can I say?

I'm an idealist.
We should all be doing the best we can to encourage posters to do a better job. C'mon Vass we all believe that with just an iota of effort you can develop basic reading skills!
Last edited by Hirota on Fri May 10, 2019 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted, pedants and koi carp.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.
Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 76675
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri May 10, 2019 8:48 am

-Ocelot- wrote:There is going to be a time when you'll regret spending so much of your time and youth defending white supremacists and MRAs in a niche nation-building forum, Ostro.

I doubt it. Such people waste their lives 'til the end of them, usually.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

User avatar
Caracasus
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 7595
Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Caracasus » Fri May 10, 2019 8:49 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:I note plenty of the progressives here backpeddling and saying all it proves is that we need to include class in order not to be anti-white have implicitly conceded by doing so that the media is massively racist against white people on a regular basis.


I am not backpeddling in the least. I have always held classism and gaslighting of the working classes is a cornerstone of our media and entertainment industry and I still believe this highlights its existence as opposed to the existence of racism against white people.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!



Issues editor, not a moderator.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Abaja, Austria-Bohemia-Hungary, Bombadil, Cappuccina, Chrigonia, Communal concils, Dangine, ElCKuT, Falangist Yunnan, Free Arabian Nation, Google Adsense [Bot], Hamstan, Heloin, Jolthig, Kombinita Socialisma Demokratio, Lord Dominator, Minachia, Necroghastia, New Bremerton, Northern Syria, Sevvania, Sundoria, The Galactic Liberal Democracy, The Rich Port, The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord, Torrocca, Uiiop, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads