NATION

PASSWORD

1 dead 7 injured in Highland Ranch, Colorado STEM shooting

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Wed May 08, 2019 7:46 am

Since talking about guns is a no-no, all that can be said is something like this is gonna happen again. Only In America.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Wed May 08, 2019 8:25 am

Gormwood wrote:Since talking about guns is a no-no, all that can be said is something like this is gonna happen again. Only In America.

not really it happened in Australia, New Zealand, India, Russia, The UK, France you name it
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Wed May 08, 2019 8:40 am

Gig em Aggies wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Since talking about guns is a no-no, all that can be said is something like this is gonna happen again. Only In America.

not really it happened in Australia, New Zealand, India, Russia, The UK, France you name it

How often does a mass shooting happen in those countries compared to the U.S.?
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed May 08, 2019 8:43 am

Gormwood wrote:
Gig em Aggies wrote:not really it happened in Australia, New Zealand, India, Russia, The UK, France you name it

Irrelevant question since you previously stated "only in America" and as such it was pointed out that it does in fact happen in other countries.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Wed May 08, 2019 8:46 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Gormwood wrote:How often does a mass shooting happen in those countries compared to the U.S.?

Irrelevant question since you previously stated "only in America" and as such it was pointed out that it does in fact happen in other countries.

"Only in America" was a quip about how mass shootings are accepted like a weather forecast in the U.S.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed May 08, 2019 8:52 am

Gormwood wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Irrelevant question since you previously stated "only in America" and as such it was pointed out that it does in fact happen in other countries.

"Only in America" was a quip about how mass shootings are accepted like a weather forecast in the U.S.

Since no one can read your mind or garner that interpretation from what you had posted, you should had clarified as such.
The other thing is, I have yet to see that these types of things are as you say, "accepted like a weather forecast in the U.S." from the population, from what I can gather IMO, is the push back to immediately politicize and or ostracize an enumerated right, from those in the media and politicians/govt as to place blame.
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Wed May 08, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Wed May 08, 2019 8:59 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Gormwood wrote:"Only in America" was a quip about how mass shootings are accepted like a weather forecast in the U.S.

Since no one can read your mind or garner that interpretation from what you had posted, you should had clarified as such.
The other thing is, I have yet to see that these types of things are as you say, "accepted like a weather forecast in the U.S." from the population, from what I can gather IMO, is the push back to immediately politicize and or ostracize an enumerated right, from those in the media and politicians/govt as to place blame.

Given how any calls for a screening process, much less improving any existing ones are successfully quashed and mass shooting do continue to happen frequently in the U.S. the prevailing attitude does appear to be they are natural phenomenon like the weather or traffic jams.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed May 08, 2019 9:02 am

Gig em Aggies wrote:

So why do you think there hasn't been a school shooting in the UK for over two decades?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed May 08, 2019 9:15 am

Gormwood wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Since no one can read your mind or garner that interpretation from what you had posted, you should had clarified as such.

Given how any calls for a screening process, much less improving any existing ones are successfully quashed and mass shooting do continue to happen frequently in the U.S. the prevailing attitude does appear to be they are natural phenomenon like the weather or traffic jams.

As much as I am against background checks, the fixnics act of 2017 was passed and signed into law March 23, 2018 as part of bolstering the background process, along with additional states passing their versions of additional background checks, just about anything and everything that antigunners have lobbied to pass over the years and they got passed in regards to throwing up barriers and when it seems that doesn't work they scream for the same thing over again and again. Obviously making something more "illegal-er" is the logical way to proceed and is "common sense" for some odd reason.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed May 08, 2019 9:42 am

Vassenor wrote:
Gig em Aggies wrote:not really it happened in Australia, New Zealand, India, Russia, The UK, France you name it

So why do you think there hasn't been a school shooting in the UK for over two decades?

Because...

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=439114
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Wed May 08, 2019 9:44 am

Telconi wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Because...

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=439114

Earlier this year, a "knife surrender bin" was robbed by criminals.
Knife control isn't working out. Best to bring back guns to deal with the criminals with knives I think, wot wot.
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed May 08, 2019 10:56 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Gormwood wrote:"Only in America" was a quip about how mass shootings are accepted like a weather forecast in the U.S.

Maybe you as an american don't see it but we outsiders certainly do get the impression.

I mean, take me for example. I won't tell you my country and will use an IP hider to hide it. But where I am from there have been no school shootings in living memory. And this is not an exaggeration either. I am not making this up. Ask anyone here about it and they'll tell you it's something that only happens in america. True? Maybe not but certainly that's the impression. So if such a thing was to happen we would be shocked, horrified and angry. And you can bet that there would be hell to pay. We are talking flat out riots in the streets, government falling and people up in arms screaming "what are you going to do about this travesty!" until some rather drastic measures are dealt out. Weather they be useful or not being irrelevant in face of the need to satisfy the public's ire. Because it would literally be the most shocking terrifying thing imaginable. And it would be something that's talked about for years to come with newspapers publishing yearly obituaries in remembrance and politicians calling back on it every election cycle to remind THEY and ONLY THEY won't ever let that sort of thing happen again.

When you look at how americans treat the things though it's just the opposite. Every single time I see coverage of these things it's like "Oh, the poor people crying. Evil shooter. Video games maybe evil. And in other news... the weather" You just acknowledge it happened, give an obligatory silent nod and than move on as if it was just an ordinary fact of life. And than next Tuesday it happens again. And we get another 5-15 minutes of sadness and outrage before it again goes forgotten in time for lunch. From where I am standing you people make more fuss about a video game release being crap than you do about children being murdered at a sacred place of learning and education.

And that is both baffling and confusing.
Last edited by Purpelia on Wed May 08, 2019 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed May 08, 2019 11:03 am

Purpelia wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Since no one can read your mind or garner that interpretation from what you had posted, you should had clarified as such.

Maybe you as an american don't see it but we outsiders certainly do get the impression.

I mean, take me for example. I won't tell you my country and will use an IP hider to hide it. But where I am from there have been no school shootings in living memory. And this is not an exaggeration either. I am not making this up. Ask anyone here about it and they'll tell you it's something that only happens in america. True? Maybe not but certainly that's the impression. So if such a thing was to happen we would be shocked, horrified and angry. And you can bet that there would be hell to pay. We are talking flat out riots in the streets, government falling and people up in arms screaming "what are you going to do about this travesty!" until some rather drastic measures are dealt out. Weather they be useful or not being irrelevant in face of the need to satisfy the public's ire. Because it would literally be the most shocking terrifying thing imaginable. And it would be something that's talked about for years to come with newspapers publishing yearly obituaries in remembrance and politicians calling back on it every election cycle to remind THEY and ONLY THEY won't ever let that sort of thing happen again.

When you look at how americans treat the things though it's just the opposite. Every single time I see coverage of these things it's like "Oh, the poor people crying. Evil shooter. Video games maybe evil. And in other news... the weather" You just acknowledge it happened, give an obligatory silent nod and than move on as if it was just an ordinary fact of life. And than next Tuesday it happens again. And we get another 5-15 minutes of sadness and outrage before it again goes forgotten in time for lunch. From where I am standing you people make more fuss about a video game release being crap than you do about children being murdered at a sacred place of learning and education.

It's a no-go topic, there's no point even addressing it at this point. And, as a result, it's just brushed off and we carry on. Sometimes there are things that happen, and just because they're sad doesn't mean something *must* be done about it. Shit happens, even in the best of circumstances.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed May 08, 2019 11:16 am

Telconi wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Maybe you as an american don't see it but we outsiders certainly do get the impression.

It's a no-go topic, there's no point even addressing it at this point. And, as a result, it's just brushed off and we carry on. Sometimes there are things that happen, and just because they're sad doesn't mean something *must* be done about it. Shit happens, even in the best of circumstances.

That is exactly the attitude I am talking about. Where I am standing what you just said sounds incredibly, indescribably callous and inhuman. It's literally as if you had said (and I truly mean no personal offense by this): "Well sure, that Hitler chap is gassing some jews every now and than. But that sort of thing just happens back on the continent. No big deal."

I literally get emotionally triggered by the fact you can even think of posting what you did.
Last edited by Purpelia on Wed May 08, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Wed May 08, 2019 11:34 am

Purpelia wrote:
Telconi wrote:

That is exactly the attitude I am talking about. Where I am standing what you just said sounds incredibly, indescribably callous and inhuman. It's literally as if you had said (and I truly mean no personal offense by this): "Well sure, that Hitler chap is gassing some jews every now and than. But that sort of thing just happens back on the continent. No big deal."

I literally get emotionally triggered by the fact you can even think of posting what you did.

Um... yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with you on several points of this reply. Mainly with the bit where what he said makes him seem "callous and inhuman" and where you are literally comparing him to Hitler. Which by the way, I couldn't help but chuckle at as that stupid ass meme needs to die already. You might not know this, but here these incidents are given 24/7 wall-to-wall coverage where every stupid aspect of the shooters lives are put on display for all to see, and their names drilled repeatedly into peoples heads until you can't help but remember them for what they did. The fact that people are fed up with this cycle and decide just to turn the channel after shrugging ones shoulders upon hearing such things happening doesn't mean that they are "Callous inhuman beings" with no emotional input/output, it just means that people are tired of the media bullshit and would just rather not listen to the bullshit any longer.
Last edited by Paddy O Fernature on Wed May 08, 2019 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Proud Co-Founder of The Axis Commonwealth - Would you like to know more?
SJW! Why? Some nobody on the internet who has never met me accused me of being one, so it absolutely MUST be true! *Nod Nod*

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed May 08, 2019 1:04 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:
Purpelia wrote:That is exactly the attitude I am talking about. Where I am standing what you just said sounds incredibly, indescribably callous and inhuman. It's literally as if you had said (and I truly mean no personal offense by this): "Well sure, that Hitler chap is gassing some jews every now and than. But that sort of thing just happens back on the continent. No big deal."

Um... yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with you on several points of this reply. Mainly with the bit where what he said makes him seem "callous and inhuman" and where you are literally comparing him to Hitler. Which by the way, I couldn't help but chuckle at as that stupid ass meme needs to die already. You might not know this, but here these incidents are given 24/7 wall-to-wall coverage where every stupid aspect of the shooters lives are put on display for all to see, and their names drilled repeatedly into peoples heads until you can't help but remember them for what they did. The fact that people are fed up with this cycle and decide just to turn the channel after shrugging ones shoulders upon hearing such things happening doesn't mean that they are "Callous inhuman beings" with no emotional input/output, it just means that people are tired of the media bullshit and would just rather not listen to the bullshit any longer.

Yes it does. That is literally what that adjective means.

Children getting murdered is simply not something you should physically be able to tune out. It's something that is supposed to get to you every single time. If it doesn't than there is something deeply wrong with you. And this is exemplified most by the fact that you don't even mention the actual issue. You don't even respond to the child killing. All you talk about is your reaction to the media coverage. That's not even a thing. The thing is child murder.
Last edited by Purpelia on Wed May 08, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Wed May 08, 2019 1:35 pm

Purpelia wrote:Children getting murdered is simply not something you should physically be able to tune out.

And yet, people do it every.. single...day.

Unless of course you're going to tell me that you lose sleep every day thinking about the dead children literally everywhere. In which case, I'm not sure how you even manage to log onto the internet or make it past a news outlet without ceasing to rationally function.

Purpelia wrote:It's something that is supposed to get to you every single time.

And?

Failing to see anywhere where people said that this doesn't effect them at some level. Just because someone doesn't become a triggered little ball of weeping sorrow over this doesn't mean they don't care and are unable to feel/show empathy towards those effected by these incidents.

Purpelia wrote:If it doesn't than there is something deeply wrong with you.

I disagree. Some people are better are just better at dealing with bad news/situations then others are.

Purpelia wrote:And this is exemplified most by the fact that you don't even mention the actual issue. You don't even respond to the child killing. All you talk about is your reaction to the media coverage. That's not even a thing. The thing is child murder.

Why should I? Pretty sure everyone here knows what the topic is about, no sense on beating a dead horse or putting the asshole shooters on a pedestal for their actions.

Proud Co-Founder of The Axis Commonwealth - Would you like to know more?
SJW! Why? Some nobody on the internet who has never met me accused me of being one, so it absolutely MUST be true! *Nod Nod*

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed May 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Paddy O Fernature wrote:

Yes it does. That is literally what that adjective means.

Children getting murdered is simply not something you should physically be able to tune out. It's something that is supposed to get to you every single time. If it doesn't than there is something deeply wrong with you. And this is exemplified most by the fact that you don't even mention the actual issue. You don't even respond to the child killing. All you talk about is your reaction to the media coverage. That's not even a thing. The thing is child murder.

Total horseshit. You tune out child murder every day. Everyone tunes out human suffering to a large degree, otherwise we'd all be killing ourselves from despair.

And the media point is perfectly valid. Our mass shooting and terrorism events are covered in an entertaining and sensationalist way that, to my knowledge, is not really mirrored any place else. It's not unreasonable to assess media coverage for possible causative effects on mass shootings.
Insert trite farewell here

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Wed May 08, 2019 2:40 pm

-Ocelot- wrote:One nation under the NRA.

The be American get shot meme is true.

Always amazes me that some random psycho shoots up a place and people blame the NRA.

The NRA doesn't really go far enough, tbh.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Wed May 08, 2019 2:41 pm

Gormwood wrote:

Mass shootings make up a tiny fraction of homicide in the US.

Why are you so concerned with them and not, ya know, gang violence perpetrated in US cities primarily by people carrying illegal weapons?
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Wed May 08, 2019 2:46 pm

Nova Cyberia wrote:
Gormwood wrote:How often does a mass shooting happen in those countries compared to the U.S.?

Mass shootings make up a tiny fraction of homicide in the US.

Why are you so concerned with them and not, ya know, gang violence perpetrated in US cities primarily by people carrying illegal weapons?

Ah, relative privation.

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Wed May 08, 2019 2:48 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:Mass shootings make up a tiny fraction of homicide in the US.

Ah, relative privation.

So I assume, then, you have nothing to respond with other than claiming fallacies?
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Wed May 08, 2019 2:50 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:Mass shootings make up a tiny fraction of homicide in the US.

Ah, relative privation.

Gang violence is objectively a more pressing issue though, as well as why it isn’t getting more coverage in the media. My best guess is that it might have something to do with the fact that the majority of those killed in gang violence are black. And blacks killing blacks in the streets just doesn’t sell.
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Wed May 08, 2019 2:56 pm

Gormwood wrote:

Ah, relative privation.

Not really. Gang violence is objectively a far bigger problem than mass shootings, yet you're far more worried about the latter. Why?
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed May 08, 2019 3:05 pm

Nova Cyberia wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Ah, relative privation.

Not really. Gang violence is objectively a far bigger problem than mass shootings, yet you're far more worried about the latter. Why?

Because mass shootings are relevant to the subject of this thread. Gang violence is not and so is little more than a deflection.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General