NATION

PASSWORD

Brunei makes U-turn on gay sex death penalty

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon May 06, 2019 1:51 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Slotted Floppies wrote:Someone needs to “find” the worlds largest oil reserves under the joint so it can have some freedom.

Or someone fax the White House saying that there’s oil under Brunei and then sign it “future Trump.” Trump would absolutely believe it.

Um...

Oil and gas and government spending still account for most of Brunei's economic activity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_o ... s_industry

And Japan imports the majority of it
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon May 06, 2019 1:52 pm

Heloin wrote:
Slotted Floppies wrote:So they’re keeping it on the books, just not acting on it?

That’s shit.

Someone needs to “find” the worlds largest oil reserves under the joint so it can have some freedom.

Or someone fax the White House saying that there’s oil under Brunei and then sign it “future Trump.” Trump would absolutely believe it.

Brunei has a proven oil reserve less then that of Australia, Congo(Brazzaville), and Chad. The nations of the world could very well just ignore Brunei and suffer minimal if any effects on oil prices.

Except Japan who would suffer quite a bit
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Slotted Floppies
Envoy

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Slotted Floppies » Mon May 06, 2019 2:04 pm

Novus America wrote:
Slotted Floppies wrote:

Oh.
Oh no.

RIP Brunei, we just wanted y’all to treat gay folk alrightish.
We didn’t mean America Fuck Yeah you.

We are so sorry.

It is no longer the early 2000s.
That invade for oil meme is about as relevant as nu-metal,

Times change.

The US is now the worlds largest oil producer.
Bigger than Saudi Arabia.

Yeah I don’t really care that my memes aren’t fashionable enough for you.
Reheated Donuts.
Stalest sweet food on NSG

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon May 06, 2019 2:24 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Heloin wrote:Brunei has a proven oil reserve less then that of Australia, Congo(Brazzaville), and Chad. The nations of the world could very well just ignore Brunei and suffer minimal if any effects on oil prices.

Except Japan who would suffer quite a bit

Japan should find a better country to import oil from.

Tankmen
Attaché

Founded: May 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tankmen » Mon May 06, 2019 2:26 pm

Good, the gay agenda is advancing as planned.
*WHIRR* *CLANK*
GUN–HAPPY
COMMUNIST

anti-anarchist
anti-capitalist
anti-fascist
anti-imperialist
anti-liberal
anti-pacifist
anti-reformist
anti-sexist
anti-theist

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon May 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Unstoppable Empire of Doom wrote:Just do this with the king of brunai

*image snipped*

and maybe Muhammad....

*** Warned for flame-bait. ***
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Mon May 06, 2019 4:51 pm

might as well flatten them anyways in case they think abt re-introducing it at some point
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon May 06, 2019 5:10 pm

I wouldnt be surprised if this is a temporary maneuver. Back pedal a little, wait until the heat dies down, then resume the same course.

In any case, execution is a punishment which should be exercised for only the most extreme offenses, of which gay sex is not one. I'm glad international pressure worked to stop this, if only temporarily.
Insert trite farewell here

Badb Catha
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Badb Catha » Mon May 06, 2019 7:14 pm

While ultimately a welcome development, I disagree with the methodology. A sovereign state should never have to fear reprisal from foreign nations in regards to it's own domestic policy. Barbaric though the laws were, it is within the Sultan's legal right to implement them. It would have been better had he had a change of heart due to moral concerns, or if he had been coerced through internal forces rather than foreign interventionists. But what is done is done; I will look forward to further developments (if there are any) with interest.
Neo-Fascist
Eastern Christian
Spiritualist
Environmentalist
Ultranationalist

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon May 06, 2019 7:18 pm

Badb Catha wrote:While ultimately a welcome development, I disagree with the methodology. A sovereign state should never have to fear reprisal from foreign nations in regards to it's own domestic policy. Barbaric though the laws were, it is within the Sultan's legal right to implement them. It would have been better had he had a change of heart due to moral concerns, or if he had been coerced through internal forces rather than foreign interventionists. But what is done is done; I will look forward to further developments (if there are any) with interest.

Why should states be exempt from reprisal from commuting heinous acts just because they are only doing it to their own citizens?

Badb Catha
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Badb Catha » Mon May 06, 2019 7:27 pm

Heloin wrote:
Badb Catha wrote:While ultimately a welcome development, I disagree with the methodology. A sovereign state should never have to fear reprisal from foreign nations in regards to it's own domestic policy. Barbaric though the laws were, it is within the Sultan's legal right to implement them. It would have been better had he had a change of heart due to moral concerns, or if he had been coerced through internal forces rather than foreign interventionists. But what is done is done; I will look forward to further developments (if there are any) with interest.

Why should states be exempt from reprisal from commuting heinous acts just because they are only doing it to their own citizens?

Because it is not the right of foreigners to decide how a state runs itself, no matter how vile and repugnant it's actions may be. Domestic misrule requires domestic intervention; not foreign intervention.
Neo-Fascist
Eastern Christian
Spiritualist
Environmentalist
Ultranationalist

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon May 06, 2019 7:27 pm

Oh please the outside has every right to sanction Brunei for this. If they want to oppress and murder their civilians because of outdated and fucking ricdlous ideas that is their right as a sovereign nation. But the rest of the world has every right to cut off trade with Brunei until they stop murdering innocents.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon May 06, 2019 7:35 pm

Badb Catha wrote:
Heloin wrote:Why should states be exempt from reprisal from commuting heinous acts just because they are only doing it to their own citizens?

Because it is not the right of foreigners to decide how a state runs itself, no matter how vile and repugnant it's actions may be. Domestic misrule requires domestic intervention; not foreign intervention.

Genocide ends when a foreign powers directly or through proxy ends it, or the genocide succeeds. Which do you prefer then?

Andsed wrote:

Oh please the outside has every right to sanction Brunei for this. If they want to oppress and murder their civilians because of outdated and fucking ricdlous ideas that is their right as a sovereign nation. But the rest of the world has every right to cut off trade with Brunei until they stop murdering innocents.

The rights of other countries don't matter as much as countries that commit heinous crimes apparently.

Badb Catha
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Badb Catha » Mon May 06, 2019 7:40 pm

Andsed wrote:

Cutting off trade is not the same as sanctioning. The former I can agree with; the latter I cannot.

Heloin wrote:
Badb Catha wrote:

Genocide ends when a foreign powers directly or through proxy ends it, or the genocide succeeds. Which do you prefer then?

Genocide is not the topic of this thread, nor is the scenario you described that black and white. As I said before: domestic misrule requires domestic intervention. If the State is waging an unjust war against the Nation, then the Nation must resist and bite the State.
Neo-Fascist
Eastern Christian
Spiritualist
Environmentalist
Ultranationalist

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon May 06, 2019 7:46 pm

Badb Catha wrote:
Heloin wrote:Genocide ends when a foreign powers directly or through proxy ends it, or the genocide succeeds. Which do you prefer then?

Genocide is not the topic of this thread, nor is the scenario you described that black and white. As I said before: domestic misrule requires domestic intervention. If the State is waging an unjust war against the Nation, then the Nation must resist and bite the State.

You said there is no situation in which a country should ever intervene in another country. Genocides don't end internally, they end from external forces. If you want to stick to the black and white view that intervene can never be justified then be my guest.

Westphalian sovereignty isn't some magical thing that automatically means other countries have to be 100% fine with what other countries do internally.

Badb Catha
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Badb Catha » Mon May 06, 2019 7:51 pm

Heloin wrote:
Badb Catha wrote:

You said there is no situation in which a country should ever intervene in another country. Genocides don't end internally, they end from external forces. If you want to stick to the black and white view that intervene can never be justified then be my guest.

Westphalian sovereignty isn't some magical thing that automatically means other countries have to be 100% fine with what other countries do internally.

I did not say anything about being fine with it; a sovereign nation is free to protest or complain to another sovereign nation about it's policies. That does not give them the right to intervene in another countries affairs.

Genocide can end internally; it is foolish to suggest otherwise. People do not lay down to be slaughtered. They will always resist, and sometimes they may even win.
Neo-Fascist
Eastern Christian
Spiritualist
Environmentalist
Ultranationalist

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon May 06, 2019 8:02 pm

Badb Catha wrote:
Heloin wrote:You said there is no situation in which a country should ever intervene in another country. Genocides don't end internally, they end from external forces. If you want to stick to the black and white view that intervene can never be justified then be my guest.

I did not say anything about being fine with it; a sovereign nation is free to protest or complain to another sovereign nation about it's policies. That does not give them the right to intervene in another countries affairs.

Countries aren't forced to trade with countries doing horrible things and can rightly sanction them. Even complaining is in some way intervening if in the laziest possible one. You're whole argument only works under the premise that other countries have to be fine with it otherwise they are in some way no matter how small violating their sovereignty.

Genocide can end internally; it is foolish to suggest otherwise. People do not lay down to be slaughtered. They will always resist, and sometimes they may even win.

People will resist. And without outside interference to help them they will always fail. The Irish revolted, the Armenians fought back, the Aboriginals waged wars, they all failed.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Mon May 06, 2019 8:49 pm

Scomagia wrote:I wouldnt be surprised if this is a temporary maneuver. Back pedal a little, wait until the heat dies down, then resume the same course.

^ yah I have similar concerns

I'm going to rewrite some of this to be better:
"A sovereign state should always have to fear reprisal from foreign nations in regards to its own domestic policy. The laws were barbaric and foreign states should absolutely stand up for human rights in such cases. It would have been better had he been deposed by an internal uprising or American-led invasion. But what is done is done; I will look forward to further developments (if there are any) with interest."
I'll also note- he wasn't "coerced" by anyone, much less "foreign interventionists." He started getting bad press and celebrities stopped staying in his hotels, major powers didn't start sanctioning Brunei.

Badb Catha wrote:
Cutting off trade is not the same as sanctioning.

th-

I-

you know what, there's no point lol
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Mon May 06, 2019 8:55 pm

Badb Catha wrote:
Heloin wrote:Why should states be exempt from reprisal from commuting heinous acts just because they are only doing it to their own citizens?

Nazis? sHitler.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon May 06, 2019 9:00 pm

Duhon wrote:
Badb Catha wrote:

Nazis? sHitler.

Well, admittedly, Hitler killed people next door. After a couple years we really won’t stand for that.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Mon May 06, 2019 9:01 pm

Novus America wrote:I worry this will allow him to get away with whipping and jailing people for it Scott free.

This is a common negotiation strategy. Make the most extreme demand so that people think your actual position is more reasonable and a concession, when on its own it would still be considered extreme.

Here I worry that the outrage over the stoning will dissipate, people and companies continue to support his brutal regime by dropping the boycott despite the fact that even without stoning the regime commits gross suppression of political and civil liberties.

I mean I think it is a concession because I'm pretty sure they already had flogging for it.
Grumpy Grandpa of the LWDT and RWDT
Kantian with panentheist and Christian beliefs. Rawlsian Socialist. Just completed studies in History and International Relations. Asexual with sex-revulsion.
The world is grey, the mountains old, the forges fire is ashen cold. No harp is wrung, no hammer falls, the darkness dwells in Durin's halls...
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts
Borderline Personality Disorder, currently in treatment. I apologize if I blow up at you. TG me for info, can't discuss publicly because the mods support stigma on mental illness.

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Mon May 06, 2019 9:10 pm

Khataiy wrote:They gave in like cowards not surprised

The real cowardice is putting people who have done nothing to you on the chopping block.

Wunderstrafanstalt
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Wunderstrafanstalt » Mon May 06, 2019 11:45 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:Hotel boycott, airline boycott... who says the free market doesn't work?

This.

Heloin wrote:Not killing people for gay sex is a positive development. The Sultan of Brunei should still told to get fucked since he alone decides what laws Brunei follows and he clearly still wants this law. Made more clear since he hasn't gotten rid of the law, just stated that it won't be enforced.

In conjunction with the Free Market Solution, the problem (and the sharia enforcement) will sadly only go away after the oil and gas run out and the government is forced to make pro-economy reforms, better yet pro-tourism.

CFR WUNDERSTRAFANSTALT - LAIRAN UNION
"Ad astra et ultra" - "To the stars and beyond"

14.0 | MT | F17 | $LFD | Kurzgesagt | IC Flag | Flag Patron: Bill Gates

Voiced - Artemsday, 12019-5-7: PT party pledged vote for Kalvar's Green Initiative | PETRAL donated Ł1.1 mil to PT | PT voted against Green Initiative.
Your average lowkey maritime Southeast Asian on NS | C e n t r i s t social liberal | Muslim (secretly atheist, don't tell mom) | RK for President 2024, Musk for Planetary Emperor 2100
Just refer to me as "WS" instead of that long-ass name

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Tue May 07, 2019 2:42 am

-Astoria wrote:
Risottia wrote:Turns out that the Sultan prefers money to keeping to a strict version of Sharia.
Inshallah.

Less "money", and more "slightly increase his standing on the international stage"

Yeah, I guess you're right, although the hotel chains abroad provide His Sultanness' pockets with a lovely influx of foreign currency in foreign accounts.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue May 07, 2019 3:48 am

Badb Catha wrote:
Andsed wrote:Oh please the outside has every right to sanction Brunei for this. If they want to oppress and murder their civilians because of outdated and fucking ricdlous ideas that is their right as a sovereign nation. But the rest of the world has every right to cut off trade with Brunei until they stop murdering innocents.

Cutting off trade is not the same as sanctioning. The former I can agree with; the latter I cannot.

What world are you living in where sanctions is not the same thing as cutting off trade?
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General