NATION

PASSWORD

Is There Too Much Bias In The News?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Aeritai
Diplomat
 
Posts: 577
Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Is There Too Much Bias In The News?

Postby Aeritai » Fri May 03, 2019 5:11 pm

I decided to ask this question because ever since Trump was elected as President in 2016 I always hear and sometimes see bias in news articles or on television news mostly either from Fox News or CNN. Which thought me to thinking "Is there too much bias in the news today?"

And in my opinion I think there isn't that much bias in journalism mostly because when I hear something about biases in news I usually think of Fox News and CNN since those two support a party they are bias when it comes to talking about politics. The news I see like NBC never have any biases unless I never noticed it.

So what is your opinion NSG is there too much bias in the news in today's world or not?
I am a Human Male
Profile Pic Credit goes to Original Artist
Pro: Vaccines, Civil Rights, Cops, Christian, Pro-Life, Globe Earth, and Peace
Neutral: LGBT, Democrat, and Republican
Anti: Anti-Vaxxers, Flat Earth, and Global Warming

User avatar
Khataiy
Minister
 
Posts: 2933
Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Khataiy » Fri May 03, 2019 5:12 pm

Yes

User avatar
Diarcesia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1499
Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Diarcesia » Fri May 03, 2019 5:14 pm

Yes. The more relevant question is "how sublime is their bias in the news?" It is imperative that one has to look at different sources.
Experimenting with Talk to Transformer for my IC posts, with interesting results.
Factbooks | Economic Liaison | Maintenance
The perfect Diarcesian meme doesn't exi—

User avatar
The Donald Trumpening
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Mar 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

On News Bias

Postby The Donald Trumpening » Fri May 03, 2019 5:29 pm

Yes, there is bias in the news. The best way to look at news is to see what both sides can agree on. If one side says x is good and another says x is bad, you can be sure that x is real. However, the best way to look at news is research: go to as many sources as possible, analyze the biases, and draw conclusions. For example, CNN is biased, but you can be certain that there is at least some truth to what they're saying, which is more than what could be said for MSNBC, which is biased and not very truthful. If it's about online drama specifically, go to the sources of the drama yourself and form your own conclusion. Be wary, though, since most of these communities have intricate memetics and layers of irony that will baffle "normies," as they call them. Although I do see a considerable bias in the mainstream news, I do lean right slightly and libertarian heavily ("you don't say," you're probably thinking), and by American standards (Europe's further left and more authoritarian than America despite the USA's surveillance programs), and most people can only name 1 right-of-center News source, even though more than one exists. (To be fair, those tend to be the same people who wouldn't care about politics until they or their kids are drafted and have their rear ends sent to the front line.) And frankly, I'd rather have that than a state-controlled press like China's (the country that banned Winnie the Pooh because it became a meme there).
Last edited by The Donald Trumpening on Fri May 03, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Aeritai
Diplomat
 
Posts: 577
Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aeritai » Fri May 03, 2019 5:32 pm

Diarcesia wrote:Yes. The more relevant question is "how sublime is their bias in the news?" It is imperative that one has to look at different sources.


It depends personally if a News Station keeps ranting on and on about the bad things Trump has done and doesn't talk about other news then I would go to a different news source.
I am a Human Male
Profile Pic Credit goes to Original Artist
Pro: Vaccines, Civil Rights, Cops, Christian, Pro-Life, Globe Earth, and Peace
Neutral: LGBT, Democrat, and Republican
Anti: Anti-Vaxxers, Flat Earth, and Global Warming

User avatar
Diarcesia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1499
Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Diarcesia » Fri May 03, 2019 5:37 pm

Aeritai wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:Yes. The more relevant question is "how sublime is their bias in the news?" It is imperative that one has to look at different sources.


It depends personally if a News Station keeps ranting on and on about the bad things Trump has done and doesn't talk about other news then I would go to a different news source.


It gets tiring. International news offers a different and fresh perspective, albeit because their bias tends to be foreign from what's around you.
Last edited by Diarcesia on Fri May 03, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Experimenting with Talk to Transformer for my IC posts, with interesting results.
Factbooks | Economic Liaison | Maintenance
The perfect Diarcesian meme doesn't exi—

User avatar
Aeritai
Diplomat
 
Posts: 577
Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aeritai » Fri May 03, 2019 5:50 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
Aeritai wrote:
It depends personally if a News Station keeps ranting on and on about the bad things Trump has done and doesn't talk about other news then I would go to a different news source.


It gets tiring. International news offers a different and fresh perspective, albeit because their bias tends to be foreign from what's around you.


Never seen any international news (I think) but I still wish we didn't have any biases in the American Media I prefer to hear a news story and not a journalist's opinion.
I am a Human Male
Profile Pic Credit goes to Original Artist
Pro: Vaccines, Civil Rights, Cops, Christian, Pro-Life, Globe Earth, and Peace
Neutral: LGBT, Democrat, and Republican
Anti: Anti-Vaxxers, Flat Earth, and Global Warming

User avatar
Diarcesia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1499
Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Diarcesia » Fri May 03, 2019 5:52 pm

Aeritai wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:
It gets tiring. International news offers a different and fresh perspective, albeit because their bias tends to be foreign from what's around you.


Never seen any international news (I think) but I still wish we didn't have any biases in the American Media I prefer to hear a news story and not a journalist's opinion.


There are podcasts on the likes of BBC World Service and NHK World.
Experimenting with Talk to Transformer for my IC posts, with interesting results.
Factbooks | Economic Liaison | Maintenance
The perfect Diarcesian meme doesn't exi—

User avatar
Major-Tom
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9365
Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Major-Tom » Fri May 03, 2019 6:19 pm

Of course - there are some major news networks that function as mouthpieces for political parties in much of the developed world. That said, the choice between having a plethora of news sources with questionable journalistic integrity and a state controlled media is an easy choice. I'll take the former - fundamentally flawed and imperfect is always preferable to downright draconian.
White Trash Hipster- Overly Proud Arizonan - Swimmer - Hiker - Powered by Caffeine and Nicotine
Who is Tom?
Other Pertinent Factbooks
Pro: Social Democracy, Market Socialism, Labour Unions, Progressivism, Civic Nationalism, Environmentalism, Left-Populism, Civil Liberties.

User avatar
Aeritai
Diplomat
 
Posts: 577
Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aeritai » Fri May 03, 2019 7:11 pm

Major-Tom wrote:Of course - there are some major news networks that function as mouthpieces for political parties in much of the developed world. That said, the choice between having a plethora of news sources with questionable journalistic integrity and a state controlled media is an easy choice. I'll take the former - fundamentally flawed and imperfect is always preferable to downright draconian.


I agree I guess having journalist with opinions isn't all that bad as long as they tell a different news story instead of going on a rant about politics for 20 minutes or something.
I am a Human Male
Profile Pic Credit goes to Original Artist
Pro: Vaccines, Civil Rights, Cops, Christian, Pro-Life, Globe Earth, and Peace
Neutral: LGBT, Democrat, and Republican
Anti: Anti-Vaxxers, Flat Earth, and Global Warming

User avatar
Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 408
Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners » Fri May 03, 2019 7:17 pm

Major-Tom wrote:...That said, the choice between having a plethora of news sources with questionable journalistic integrity and a state controlled media is an easy choice. I'll take the former - fundamentally flawed and imperfect is always preferable to downright draconian.


I prefer the middle-ground that is the various anglophone Broadcasting Corporations.

Although I have to rely on podcasts, which is a mixed blessing. On the one hand, I have reliable news. On the other, my suggestions screen regularly makes me despair for my species. Vox ignoramuses.
IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION: While Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners have a smart navigation system that avoids obstacles, the robot may occasionally bump into furniture, objects, pets and ideological assumptions. Therefore, if you have special objects and assumptions that could potentially be damaged by the bumping, remove these objects and assumptions from the room or use boundary markers. Additionally, refrain from looking into laser vision system with remaining eye.

User avatar
DeltaSource
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 200
Founded: Apr 24, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby DeltaSource » Fri May 03, 2019 7:21 pm

Waaaaaay too much bias against Republicans, the dems control the media y'all.
Game I'm obsessed with at the Moment:Star Wars Battlefront 2 (Current One)

User avatar
Mystic Warriors
Minister
 
Posts: 3180
Founded: May 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri May 03, 2019 7:47 pm

The Donald Trumpening wrote:Yes, there is bias in the news. The best way to look at news is to see what both sides can agree on. If one side says x is good and another says x is bad, you can be sure that x is real. However, the best way to look at news is research: go to as many sources as possible, analyze the biases, and draw conclusions. For example, CNN is biased, but you can be certain that there is at least some truth to what they're saying, which is more than what could be said for MSNBC, which is biased and not very truthful. If it's about online drama specifically, go to the sources of the drama yourself and form your own conclusion. Be wary, though, since most of these communities have intricate memetics and layers of irony that will baffle "normies," as they call them. Although I do see a considerable bias in the mainstream news, I do lean right slightly and libertarian heavily ("you don't say," you're probably thinking), and by American standards (Europe's further left and more authoritarian than America despite the USA's surveillance programs), and most people can only name 1 right-of-center News source, even though more than one exists. (To be fair, those tend to be the same people who wouldn't care about politics until they or their kids are drafted and have their rear ends sent to the front line.) And frankly, I'd rather have that than a state-controlled press like China's (the country that banned Winnie the Pooh because it became a meme there).






You bash "liberal" news sources while ignoring the verified lie factory of fox news. Your x/y line is comical, how could you know x is real? Why couldn't y be real?

As for only 1 known right wing news source, that is 1 too many.
Last edited by Mystic Warriors on Fri May 03, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

User avatar
Mystic Warriors
Minister
 
Posts: 3180
Founded: May 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri May 03, 2019 7:48 pm

DeltaSource wrote:Waaaaaay too much bias against Republicans, the dems control the media y'all.



Good
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

User avatar
Tetradimensional Overworld
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 140
Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Fri May 03, 2019 7:49 pm

Yes, but Fox News has the most bias
I'm also NOT denying the left-wing bias in other medias
IC name: Greater Aecinov Republic | Maxovikt Aečinov Valtarzurthr
IF YOU THINK WE'RE FOUR DIMENSIONAL, YOU ARE MISTAKEN. THIS IS JUST AN OLD NAME, A PLACEHOLDER NAME. I WILL /STILLME YA IF YOU MAKE CRAPPY ANSWERS SO DEAL WITH IT VADIM
TETRADIMENSIONAL OVERWORLD isn't my IC name. This nation is pure unadulterated nostalgia, deal with it. Did you know that I wasted 400 million plus seconds of my life and you wasted more? Well, if I could go back to any age, I'd go back to the time when I was 11. Great times indeed. I'm an anti-communist, but I do love me some Soviet music.
Late childhood is the best part of childhood -- change my mind. People below 10 are in blissful ignorance so I'd rather avoid that. Blissful ignorance is not true happiness

User avatar
US-SSR
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1234
Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby US-SSR » Fri May 03, 2019 7:58 pm

The facts have a liberal bias.
No quid pro quo!
Rudy who?
You're unconstitutional!
You should be impeached!

User avatar
Sanctum and Ultima
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 132
Founded: Mar 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctum and Ultima » Fri May 03, 2019 8:00 pm

US-SSR wrote:The facts have a liberal bias.

Nope. Rather, the distorted truths have a leftist bias.
This nation actually does not really represent my OOC/IRL views.
9axes: https://9axes.github.io/results.html?a= ... &h=85&i=23
RIP NOTRE DAME
Inner Lands wrote:One men, multiplied by two, divided in four, and obligated to live in eight realms each part of it.

Corrupt Dictator Doges wrote:The former USSR, but with food
United Realms of Sanctum and Ultima
Sæþvir Činovidatăriþ Qahtașăr uc Vilyraðe
A nation set in a world where nations compete for a territory in space...
Now, after getting lots of territory in outer space, our nation was thrown into disarray due to technocrats and commies.
Q&A
PMT nations are the best (change my mind)

User avatar
Azlaake
Envoy
 
Posts: 312
Founded: Nov 27, 2018
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Azlaake » Fri May 03, 2019 8:00 pm

There's nothing wrong with bias as long as they give you the tell
This Nation Represents My Political Views (MOSTLY), So Suck It Republicans!!!
These are my political views
And my political compass
AZLAAKE Needs You
HOPE YOU LIKE CRANBERRIES
BERNIE (Or Tim Ryan) 2020
I Use NS Stats!! (Mostly, Anyways)
Imagine Scandinavian Ideologies, American Patriotism, Canadian Wilderness, And Tacos And Burgers Everywhere
PRO: Liberal Socialism, Democratic Socialism, Gun Restrictions, Leftist-ism, Democracy, Civil and Political Freedoms, Legalized Drugs, Equalitism, Bernie Sanders, Tim Ryan ,and Joe Biden
ANTI: Libertarianism, Conservatism, Abortion, Polygamy, Rightist-ism, Anarchy, Fascism, Northern Jackaia, Trump

User avatar
Kannap
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 55756
Founded: May 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kannap » Fri May 03, 2019 8:02 pm

The question isn't is there too much bias in the news, because the answer is obvious. The questions are how long has the bias been there? How deeply ingrained is it? Can we do something about it?
22 years old, gay male, Presbyterian, North Carolinian. Pumpkin Spice everything.
TET's resident ostrich
Political Party: Not affiliated/Independent
Luna Amore wrote:Please remember to attend the ritualistic burning of Kannap for heresy
Luna Amore wrote:note to self, insert clever reference to Kannap
T H E M O U N T A I N S A R E C A L L I N G A N D I M U S T G O
G A Y S I N C E 1 9 9 7

User avatar
Tetradimensional Overworld
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 140
Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Fri May 03, 2019 8:02 pm

Azlaake wrote:There's nothing wrong with bias as long as they give you the tell

There's nothing wrong with bias indeed...
IC name: Greater Aecinov Republic | Maxovikt Aečinov Valtarzurthr
IF YOU THINK WE'RE FOUR DIMENSIONAL, YOU ARE MISTAKEN. THIS IS JUST AN OLD NAME, A PLACEHOLDER NAME. I WILL /STILLME YA IF YOU MAKE CRAPPY ANSWERS SO DEAL WITH IT VADIM
TETRADIMENSIONAL OVERWORLD isn't my IC name. This nation is pure unadulterated nostalgia, deal with it. Did you know that I wasted 400 million plus seconds of my life and you wasted more? Well, if I could go back to any age, I'd go back to the time when I was 11. Great times indeed. I'm an anti-communist, but I do love me some Soviet music.
Late childhood is the best part of childhood -- change my mind. People below 10 are in blissful ignorance so I'd rather avoid that. Blissful ignorance is not true happiness

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52172
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri May 03, 2019 8:03 pm

Any news organization is always going to be biased because this:

https://youtu.be/NX45hc0aZt0?t=177

They use this cynically and pretend they aren't being willfully biased and using this as an excuse. But since awareness of this problem is now out of the box, the only alternative is for journalists to be ignorant and not know their own profession and how it works. Necessarily they are going to select which facts are relevant and be aware they are creating a narrative by doing so.

Ironically the editorializing is making it explicit what that narrative is, which is arguably much more honest than merely presenting selected facts and risk creating the perception that it is an objective and complete story.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri May 03, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
New Sig, who dis?
Patriarchy theory is a valid academic theory, not incel tier psychological abuse which maps on to any situation a woman doesn't like and enables them to rationalize a hostility to men, we swear.
https://i.redd.it/zj1a11ooxwb31.jpg

User avatar
Mystic Warriors
Minister
 
Posts: 3180
Founded: May 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri May 03, 2019 8:03 pm

Sanctum and Ultima wrote:
US-SSR wrote:The facts have a liberal bias.

Nope. Rather, the distorted truths have a leftist bias.



:rofl:


Wrong. Reality has a liberal bias. Lies have a conservative bias
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

User avatar
Aclion
Senator
 
Posts: 4509
Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aclion » Fri May 03, 2019 8:05 pm

US-SSR wrote:The facts have a liberal bias.

You say that, but the Conservative new outlets aren't tanking in the ratings because they spent the last year and a half covering a bogus narrative, the "liberal" outlets are. The conservative outlets aren't slandering their competitors in order to get them censored, the "liberal" media is. I think when you can't differentiate fact from what's good for your party and you need to attack you competitors to even stay relevant then you've got a serious bias problem. Fox New is in fact less biased then the rest of the legacy media, if only because they're moved to the center to gobble up all the viewers who've given up on CNN and MSNBC.
Last edited by Aclion on Fri May 03, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A free society rests on four boxes: The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the ammo box.
XKI: Recruiter, TITO Knight
TEP: WA Executive Staff member
Forest: Cartographer
Oatland: Caesar, Cartographer

It is the citizen's duty to understand which box to use, and when.

User avatar
Tetradimensional Overworld
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 140
Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Fri May 03, 2019 8:05 pm

Mystic Warriors wrote:
Sanctum and Ultima wrote:Nope. Rather, the distorted truths have a leftist bias.



:rofl:


Wrong. Reality has a liberal bias. Lies have a conservative bias

Really? Even though I consider myself as slightly far-left, yeah...
We shifted the Overton window far to the left, for the betterment of the world, but some reactionaries just reversed it
IC name: Greater Aecinov Republic | Maxovikt Aečinov Valtarzurthr
IF YOU THINK WE'RE FOUR DIMENSIONAL, YOU ARE MISTAKEN. THIS IS JUST AN OLD NAME, A PLACEHOLDER NAME. I WILL /STILLME YA IF YOU MAKE CRAPPY ANSWERS SO DEAL WITH IT VADIM
TETRADIMENSIONAL OVERWORLD isn't my IC name. This nation is pure unadulterated nostalgia, deal with it. Did you know that I wasted 400 million plus seconds of my life and you wasted more? Well, if I could go back to any age, I'd go back to the time when I was 11. Great times indeed. I'm an anti-communist, but I do love me some Soviet music.
Late childhood is the best part of childhood -- change my mind. People below 10 are in blissful ignorance so I'd rather avoid that. Blissful ignorance is not true happiness

User avatar
Aeritai
Diplomat
 
Posts: 577
Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aeritai » Fri May 03, 2019 8:10 pm

Kannap wrote:The question isn't is there too much bias in the news, because the answer is obvious. The questions are how long has the bias been there? How deeply ingrained is it? Can we do something about it?


Well I'm pretty sure bias has always been there in American Media ever since the first newspaper here. My guess is that bias has always been there it just wasn't as noticeable back then as it is today.

And how to stop it? I'm not sure if anyone can stop news outlets from telling biases. If we tried doing that it would violate Freedom of Speech.
I am a Human Male
Profile Pic Credit goes to Original Artist
Pro: Vaccines, Civil Rights, Cops, Christian, Pro-Life, Globe Earth, and Peace
Neutral: LGBT, Democrat, and Republican
Anti: Anti-Vaxxers, Flat Earth, and Global Warming

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: An Alan Smithee Nation, Andeia, Evil Dictators Happyland, Gormwood, Greater vakolicci haven, Ifreann, Libertas Omnium Maximus, Lillorainen, Loben The 2nd, Mettaton-EX, Miami Shores, Niculen Sare, Qebui, Salandriagado, SD_Film Artists, Sircana, Sovaal, Terreich und Preussen, The Blaatschapen, The Free States of Bree, The New California Republic, Treznor, Uiiop, Vassenor, Washington Resistance Army, Window Land, Yannia

Advertisement

Remove ads