NATION

PASSWORD

What is your opinion on LGBT+ marriage?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lgbt marriage: good or bad?

Yes, love is love.
406
59%
No, it's a sin.
84
12%
No, love is for reproducing.
50
7%
No, civil unions are better.
23
3%
Maybe
13
2%
Praise David Hasselhoff (Requested by Some random cat dude)
88
13%
No opinion/neutral
30
4%
 
Total votes : 694

User avatar
Christenmark
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 57
Founded: May 02, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Christenmark » Thu May 02, 2019 2:48 pm

Kannap wrote:
Christenmark wrote:
it is the inspired inherent word of god, and the accumulated knowledge of many millennia of human civilization, you will have to prove your point to me before I take you for granted, when against this, you nor I could ever be in a position to judge the highest THE builder. you are a fool to assume that you are wiser than those of the past simply because it is now and that was then


Rob Bell, great author - many good books - I think you'd learn a thing or two reading his book What Is the Bible? How an Ancient Library of Poems, Letters, and Stories Can Transform the Way You Think and Feel About Everything. It really overwhelmed and blew me away.


I evaluated my faith too, I was once upon a time, a more atheistic individual.

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15986
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu May 02, 2019 2:48 pm

Christenmark wrote:I have been thinking hard about my own positions for a good three years, and I started out as a pro-LGBT marriage, pro-abortion, and pro-socialist stance, I was appauled by the true nature of some of these thigns and abandoned them until I had a set that werent internally conflicting. Now I have grown into a traditionalist, socially conservative, semi-libertarian, Pro-life, and anti-socialist, in my standings.

Cool story bro, just don't see the relevance of your life story here.
Last edited by Friedrich Nietzsche on Thu Jan 03, 1889 13:05 pm, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the complete victory over Caesar's Legion, and the pacification and annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.
Current President of The NCR: Aaron Kimball.
Current NCR Ambassador to The World Assembly: Colonel James Hsu, NCR Army (Ret.)
.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Kannap
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 55292
Founded: May 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kannap » Thu May 02, 2019 2:49 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Kannap wrote:
Why can't I get married in a church?

-A Christian


Because you shouldn’t force a church that’s against marrying you to do it. There’s such a thing as freedom of religion. Which should be respected. However, there are churches that do perform same sex marriages, you can go to one of them at least.


He was making a very vague statement about how homosexuals shouldn't try to get married at churches. I made a very vague question in response.

I'm not going to force anybody to wed me if they don't want to, but I'm absolutely going to get married in a church and my pastor is the person I intend to ask to officiate the marriage.

User avatar
Andsed
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5901
Founded: Aug 24, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Andsed » Thu May 02, 2019 2:49 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Kannap wrote:
Why can't I get married in a church?

-A Christian


Because you shouldn’t force a church that’s against marrying you to do it. There’s such a thing as freedom of religion. Which should be respected. However, there are churches that do perform same sex marriages, you can go to one of them at least.

Besides why would you want to associate yourself with those who discriminate against people based off the baseless nonsense that homosexuality is wrong?
Hello I am Andsed welcome to my sig.


Amazing Andsed quotes:
Ok lets get back on topic so we don´t get this thread locked thanks to talking about my church windmill dancing.
Andsed is not legally responsible for any injuries that may occur if you take this seriously and somehow get a trebuchet and try to fling yourself into a plane. You fucking dumbass
NationStates going from serious debates about homosexuality to jokes about Jesus a marijuana dealer in the span of one to two posts since November 13 2002.
Sorry my mind is always in the gutter no it lives in gutter my mind is fuckin called pennywise it is in the gutter so much.
How does one outsource racism? Do you like get an Indian guy to call people and call them racial slurs?

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

User avatar
Genivaria
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 62951
Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Genivaria » Thu May 02, 2019 2:49 pm

It's a union of people who want to dedicate their lives to each other, the qualifier of 'LGBT+' changes nothing.
General Sherman did nothing wrong, fact.
Liberal Social Democrat.

Proud denouncer of the Taliban.

User avatar
Christenmark
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 57
Founded: May 02, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Christenmark » Thu May 02, 2019 2:51 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Christenmark wrote:I have been thinking hard about my own positions for a good three years, and I started out as a pro-LGBT marriage, pro-abortion, and pro-socialist stance, I was appauled by the true nature of some of these thigns and abandoned them until I had a set that werent internally conflicting. Now I have grown into a traditionalist, socially conservative, semi-libertarian, Pro-life, and anti-socialist, in my standings.

Cool story bro, just don't see the relevance of your life story here.


to stress the fact that his staunchness is a possible positive, but only if it is upon the grounds of internal consistency, and I do not see anything of the sort here. I know that the life story criticism is to dismiss my personal experiences, but give it enough time one of you will do the same thing with: 'how could you ever know you are straight' or something of that vein.

User avatar
Kannap
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 55292
Founded: May 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kannap » Thu May 02, 2019 2:52 pm

Christenmark wrote:
Kannap wrote:
I mean, you're not affording me the courtesy you claim I'm not affording you - Guess its a two way street.


Christenmark wrote:I understand that you think that the words of the founding documents are to be interpreted by the views of the now, not of what the meaning was when they were written


I understand you think the Constitution apparently doesn't apply to multiple facets of our society, e.g. Supreme Court decisions since the writing of the Constitution, but then you must surely be telling me the Constitution is an outdated document that has no value or power in the modern day. Pick one or the other, please.

Christenmark wrote:I don't read Plato and assume he is calling for the Facist ethnostate subliminally just because I can do mental gymnastics to create my own delusion


Bad comparison, unless every Supreme Court justice to ever serve in the Supreme Court has been an Olympic gymnast creation their delusional dystopian society.

User avatar
Kannap
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 55292
Founded: May 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kannap » Thu May 02, 2019 2:52 pm

Telconi wrote:
Kannap wrote:
Considering you'd probably have to invite two gay guys with the express communicated knowledge that they were allowed to have sex in your living room for that scenario to happen, then you probably wouldn't care.


Well that's the point, I wouldn't do that, so if it happened it would be without express knowledge or permission.


So it wouldn't happen and the point is moot.

User avatar
Kannap
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 55292
Founded: May 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kannap » Thu May 02, 2019 2:53 pm

Christenmark wrote:
Kannap wrote:
Rob Bell, great author - many good books - I think you'd learn a thing or two reading his book What Is the Bible? How an Ancient Library of Poems, Letters, and Stories Can Transform the Way You Think and Feel About Everything. It really overwhelmed and blew me away.


I evaluated my faith too, I was once upon a time, a more atheistic individual.


Not sure what this response means in context to what I said.

User avatar
Munkcestrian Republic
Envoy
 
Posts: 244
Founded: May 01, 2019
Corporate Bordello

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Thu May 02, 2019 2:53 pm

Munkcestrian Republic wrote:
Christenmark wrote:
those are called heretical

What denomination do you belong to?


Munkcestrian Republic wrote:
Christenmark wrote:
I suggest you do the same thing hypocrite

I've seen people claim it's about philosophers, I've seen people claim it's about Gnostics. While I am sympathetic to Gnosticism, I'm not however an outright Gnostic. So it doesn't really apply to me - assuming that interpretation of Romans 1:22 is correct, of course.


Munkcestrian Republic wrote:
Christenmark wrote:
it is the inspired inherent word of god, and the accumulated knowledge of many millennia of human civilization, you will have to prove your point to me before I take you for granted, when against this, you nor I could ever be in a position to judge the highest THE builder. you are a fool to assume that you are wiser than those of the past simply because it is now and that was then

The Bible is the result of different "Church Fathers" deciding that they liked certain texts and didn't like others.


Hello, just making sure I'm not being ignored

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 183037
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu May 02, 2019 2:53 pm

Kannap wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Because you shouldn’t force a church that’s against marrying you to do it. There’s such a thing as freedom of religion. Which should be respected. However, there are churches that do perform same sex marriages, you can go to one of them at least.


He was making a very vague statement about how homosexuals shouldn't try to get married at churches. I made a very vague question in response.

I'm not going to force anybody to wed me if they don't want to, but I'm absolutely going to get married in a church and my pastor is the person I intend to ask to officiate the marriage.


Good, but my point here is (taking your vague question) that if we are to truly be egalitarian, churches that refuse to marry same sex couples are in their protected right to refuse. It’s good that your pastor agrees to marry same sex couples. I think that’s very forward and loving of him to. But if we want equality of rights, neither your right to marry nor their right to refuse to marry you should be taken for granted. I think some people fail to remember that.
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15986
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu May 02, 2019 2:54 pm

Christenmark wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Cool story bro, just don't see the relevance of your life story here.


to stress the fact that his staunchness is a possible positive, but only if it is upon the grounds of internal consistency, and I do not see anything of the sort here.

How is LGBT marriage not internally consistent?

Christenmark wrote:I know that the life story criticism is to dismiss my personal experiences, but give it enough time one of you will do the same thing with: 'how could you ever know you are straight' or something of that vein.

...the hell are you talking about? :eyebrow:
Last edited by Friedrich Nietzsche on Thu Jan 03, 1889 13:05 pm, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the complete victory over Caesar's Legion, and the pacification and annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.
Current President of The NCR: Aaron Kimball.
Current NCR Ambassador to The World Assembly: Colonel James Hsu, NCR Army (Ret.)
.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Telconi
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24552
Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Telconi » Thu May 02, 2019 2:54 pm

Kannap wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Well that's the point, I wouldn't do that, so if it happened it would be without express knowledge or permission.


So it wouldn't happen and the point is moot.


... you realize it was a joke right?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

User avatar
Kannap
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 55292
Founded: May 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kannap » Thu May 02, 2019 2:54 pm

Christenmark wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Cool story bro, just don't see the relevance of your life story here.


to stress the fact that his staunchness is a possible positive, but only if it is upon the grounds of internal consistency, and I do not see anything of the sort here. I know that the life story criticism is to dismiss my personal experiences, but give it enough time one of you will do the same thing with: 'how could you ever know you are straight' or something of that vein.


What are you rambling on about?

User avatar
Christenmark
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 57
Founded: May 02, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Christenmark » Thu May 02, 2019 2:55 pm

Kannap wrote:
Christenmark wrote:


I understand you think the Constitution apparently doesn't apply to multiple facets of our society, e.g. Supreme Court decisions since the writing of the Constitution, but then you must surely be telling me the Constitution is an outdated document that has no value or power in the modern day. Pick one or the other, please.



Bad comparison, unless every Supreme Court justice to ever serve in the Supreme Court has been an Olympic gymnast creation their delusional dystopian society.


okay, I will continue this discussion later if you would like, perhaps on a more accommodating forum, discord perhaps? because I enjoy this dialogue but I feel this is getting a bit messy in terms of replies to things posted during the typing of an earlier response. is that fine?

User avatar
West Leas Oros 2
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1855
Founded: Jul 15, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby West Leas Oros 2 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:55 pm

This OP be a bit bloggy, IMO
West Leas Oros 2, Election Boogaloo (Please ignore the 2 in our name in all IC interactions)
WLO Public News: West Leas Oros now a sponsor of Leninade!
Your Boy Leon Thotsky
Simultaneously an evil commie who wants to take your toothbrush, and an evil brocialist reactionary and revisionist.
An accurate description of NSG: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IQFU1y928dw

MP Arthur Woole in the NS Parliament

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15986
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu May 02, 2019 2:55 pm

Kannap wrote:
Christenmark wrote:
to stress the fact that his staunchness is a possible positive, but only if it is upon the grounds of internal consistency, and I do not see anything of the sort here. I know that the life story criticism is to dismiss my personal experiences, but give it enough time one of you will do the same thing with: 'how could you ever know you are straight' or something of that vein.


What are you rambling on about?

Fuck knows. It just looks like noise to give the appearance of an answer where there really isn't one.
Last edited by Friedrich Nietzsche on Thu Jan 03, 1889 13:05 pm, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the complete victory over Caesar's Legion, and the pacification and annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.
Current President of The NCR: Aaron Kimball.
Current NCR Ambassador to The World Assembly: Colonel James Hsu, NCR Army (Ret.)
.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Munkcestrian Republic
Envoy
 
Posts: 244
Founded: May 01, 2019
Corporate Bordello

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Thu May 02, 2019 2:56 pm

Christenmark wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:


I am only doing this because I am the only one with enough brain cells left in my age group where I live to even care about this kind of stuff, and thus I never am able to express and grow my ideas with their input as they have no input nor care to give. I enjoy this here because I can understand your position - without having to agree to it, sure - while rationalizing my own. but I feel I am not being afforded the same courtesy and I am alright if you do not, but I am sad that I won't get the full value of this as a dialogue.

"I'm smart, unlike everyone else my age >:("

User avatar
Kannap
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 55292
Founded: May 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kannap » Thu May 02, 2019 2:56 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Kannap wrote:
He was making a very vague statement about how homosexuals shouldn't try to get married at churches. I made a very vague question in response.

I'm not going to force anybody to wed me if they don't want to, but I'm absolutely going to get married in a church and my pastor is the person I intend to ask to officiate the marriage.


Good, but my point here is (taking your vague question) that if we are to truly be egalitarian, churches that refuse to marry same sex couples are in their protected right to refuse. It’s good that your pastor agrees to marry same sex couples. I think that’s very forward and loving of him to. But if we want equality of rights, neither your right to marry nor their right to refuse to marry you should be taken for granted. I think some people fail to remember that.


I fully agree, the vague statement and question were both poor ways of stating both of our points and we could have come to some better understanding sooner if we'd been more detailed rather than vague.

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 183037
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu May 02, 2019 2:57 pm

Andsed wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Because you shouldn’t force a church that’s against marrying you to do it. There’s such a thing as freedom of religion. Which should be respected. However, there are churches that do perform same sex marriages, you can go to one of them at least.

Besides why would you want to associate yourself with those who discriminate against people based off the baseless nonsense that homosexuality is wrong?


For some, gay or not, their religion is very important. I myself am bi and I wouldn’t want to force anyone who disagrees with my way of living to do something that’s against their convictions. When I got married, I went for a civil union.

That being said, I don’t think religious people should interfere with civil unions or laws that protect LGBT+ people.
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Kannap
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 55292
Founded: May 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kannap » Thu May 02, 2019 2:58 pm

Christenmark wrote:
Kannap wrote:
Bad comparison, unless every Supreme Court justice to ever serve in the Supreme Court has been an Olympic gymnast creation their delusional dystopian society.


okay, I will continue this discussion later if you would like, perhaps on a more accommodating forum, discord perhaps? because I enjoy this dialogue but I feel this is getting a bit messy in terms of replies to things posted during the typing of an earlier response. is that fine?


You may see Discord as a "more accommodating forum," I see it as the opposite. This is a public forum, we have others present to share in the discussion. This is a rich place to debate.

User avatar
Munkcestrian Republic
Envoy
 
Posts: 244
Founded: May 01, 2019
Corporate Bordello

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Thu May 02, 2019 2:58 pm

Christenmark wrote:semi-libertarian

lol

Christenmark wrote:anti-socialist

"anti-helping people", more likely.

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 183037
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu May 02, 2019 2:59 pm

Kannap wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Good, but my point here is (taking your vague question) that if we are to truly be egalitarian, churches that refuse to marry same sex couples are in their protected right to refuse. It’s good that your pastor agrees to marry same sex couples. I think that’s very forward and loving of him to. But if we want equality of rights, neither your right to marry nor their right to refuse to marry you should be taken for granted. I think some people fail to remember that.


I fully agree, the vague statement and question were both poor ways of stating both of our points and we could have come to some better understanding sooner if we'd been more detailed rather than vague.


It’s ok. This is a heated topic. I just wanted to make my own point clearer.
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Tankmen
Attaché
 
Posts: 95
Founded: May 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tankmen » Thu May 02, 2019 3:01 pm

Christenmark wrote:
Kannap wrote:
I mean, you're not affording me the courtesy you claim I'm not affording you - Guess its a two way street.


I understand that you think that the words of the founding documents are to be interpreted by the views of the now, not of what the meaning was when they were written, I don't read Plato and assume he is calling for the Facist ethnostate subliminally just because I can do mental gymnastics to create my own delusion, you are of a stalwart mind and that is a good trait, but not when it is so much so that it will do mental gymnastics to do so. I have been thinking hard about my own positions for a good three years, and I started out as a pro-LGBT marriage, pro-abortion, and pro-socialist stance, I was appauled by the true nature of some of these thigns and abandoned them until I had a set that werent internally conflicting. Now I have grown into a traditionalist, socially conservative, semi-libertarian, Pro-life, and anti-socialist, in my standings.

So a generic right-wing conservative fakertarian. All that's missing is the white nationalism.
*WHIRR* *CLANK*
GUN–HAPPY
COMMUNIST

anti-anarchist
anti-capitalist
anti-fascist
anti-imperialist
anti-liberal
anti-pacifist
anti-reformist
anti-sexist
anti-theist

User avatar
Christenmark
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 57
Founded: May 02, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Christenmark » Thu May 02, 2019 3:01 pm

Munkcestrian Republic wrote:
Christenmark wrote:
I am only doing this because I am the only one with enough brain cells left in my age group where I live to even care about this kind of stuff, and thus I never am able to express and grow my ideas with their input as they have no input nor care to give. I enjoy this here because I can understand your position - without having to agree to it, sure - while rationalizing my own. but I feel I am not being afforded the same courtesy and I am alright if you do not, but I am sad that I won't get the full value of this as a dialogue.

"I'm smart, unlike everyone else my age >:("


no I know I am just as stupid and want them to grow their understanding as well, but they don't seem to, sans a very small group of individuals who I have distanced myself from as they began to not really like discussing this stuff with me after I began to alter my outlook. I did not intend to be so high-horsy, but I get very irritated with their apathy to this kind of stuff, and I guess I got a bit carried away

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: An Alan Smithee Nation, Angleter, Bluelight-R006, Electioneer, Ethel mermania, Marquisal, Nakena, New haven america, Senkaku, Telconi, The Blaatschapen, The Holy Therns, The New California Republic, The of Cook Islands, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads