Page 1 of 72

Alt-right. A terrorist movement in the making?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:37 am
by -Ocelot-
I stumbled upon this article today: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... s-reveals/

An analysis of 150,000 chat room messages paints a picture of a group that is actively recruiting new members, buying weapons and trying to influence political parties


The article explains how members of the alt-right movement have organized into something most of us would call a terrorist movement if the perpetrators were not white and christian. According to the findings, these people, despite calling themselves an "alternative" right-wing group, appear to be nothing more than young neo-fascists who have adapted into 21st century life and have successfully influenced young people, including children.

My question to NSG is this: Is this the birth of a huge international terrorist movement? Will the world have to crackdown on these people eventually? And what can governments do to stop the resurgence of fascism for good?

My opinion is that the alt-right movement was going to become a terrorism organization eventually. From the very beginning, their beliefs were similar to 20th century fascism. In practice, they are fascists who pretend to be nice and concerned about the world, while leading young, frustrated men into committing terrorist acts. Under different circumstances, people would call them terrorists. To be stopped, governments must treat them like they treat radical Islamists and arrest the ones who play a pivotal role into organizing the whole thing.

Some quotes from the article:

They come from all walks of life: tradesmen, soldiers, a student teacher, a financial analyst, an aspiring lawyer, among others. And they are in every province, in communities large and small. They gather on the internet to strategize and seek pathways into mainstream politics. They are anti-Semitic, anti-immigrant, Islamophobic, sexist and racist. They are young and radicalized. They are the new far right in Canada.

The size of this particular group discussion is modest, at 180 users. But its members do more than simply engage in online talk. They meet in person, spread propaganda and encourage each other to recruit and expand the movement. They purchase weapons and discuss training. They have also attempted to join, influence and volunteer for Canadian political parties, usually adopting a restrained and more palatable guise.


Dank told the online group that he was using his position as a student teacher to influence young minds. He described one classroom scene in which the students were learning about the Second World War and the Holocaust. “In a moment where the actual teacher wasn’t in the room, I casually asked them their thoughts and opinions,” he wrote. The children, he continued, generally saw the Holocaust as “really bad,” but one of them asked why it had happened. Dank asked the young girl, “What was the point of the train cars and the deportations if it was just to kill them all?” He then encouraged the students to look into it on their own if they were curious.

“l’ll play their game and recite what they want to hear,” he said, adding that he was “acing the diversity class because I know all their narratives.”



He encouraged group members to join the reserves in order to benefit from training in firearms and strategy. Several members of the group posted messages indicating they had either done so or were considering it.

A number of current and former Forces members have been tied to the far right in recent years. In 2017, Forces members who also belonged to the anti-feminist, all-male group Proud Boys disrupted an Indigenous-led protest in Halifax. Among the founders of La Meute, the largest far-right group in Quebec, are military veterans. In media interviews, Chief of Defence Staff General Jonathan Vance has admitted that extremism is present in the Forces – and has said he is determined to stamp it out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:40 am
by Shanhwa
lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:40 am
by Free Arabian Nation
>Implying they aren't already

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:42 am
by Rezmaeristan
Probably won't ever be anything more than a few deranged individuals. However, depending on how bad things get, it could be a very real threat to the security of the West.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:47 am
by Major-Tom
Most alt-righters don't have the energy to leave their mother's basement, let alone commit acts of terror. But - the radicalization of people through the internet, whether it be with the alt-right or an actual terror group, it poses a lot of issues. It is undeniable that many attacks in the last year had radicalized alt-right perpetrators, which is a major cause for concern.

The best thing that concerned people can do is deprive the far/alt-right of oxygen and de-legitimize their "platforms" and reprehensible ideologies through clear, concise and sound logic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:48 am
by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Oh boy, I can't wait for this thread to be filled with "wHAt AbOuT ANFtA AnD Da EbIl SjWs!!!1111???/////1/1/1//1/1"

Anyway, yes the alt right can be scary and has started shooting mosques and synagogues.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:52 am
by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Major-Tom wrote:Most alt-righters don't have the energy to leave their mother's basement, let alone commit acts of terror. But - the radicalization of people through the internet, whether it be with the alt-right or an actual terror group, it poses a lot of issues. It is undeniable that many attacks in the last year had radicalized alt-right perpetrators, which is a major cause for concern.

The best thing that concerned people can do is deprive the far/alt-right of oxygen and de-legitimize their "platforms" and reprehensible ideologies through clear, concise and sound logic.


We are doing that, but they don't seem to care.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:53 am
by Bear Stearns
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:Most alt-righters don't have the energy to leave their mother's basement, let alone commit acts of terror. But - the radicalization of people through the internet, whether it be with the alt-right or an actual terror group, it poses a lot of issues. It is undeniable that many attacks in the last year had radicalized alt-right perpetrators, which is a major cause for concern.

The best thing that concerned people can do is deprive the far/alt-right of oxygen and de-legitimize their "platforms" and reprehensible ideologies through clear, concise and sound logic.


We are doing that, but they don't seem to care.


I mean you could just imprison them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:55 am
by Sada Difrium
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:Most alt-righters don't have the energy to leave their mother's basement, let alone commit acts of terror. But - the radicalization of people through the internet, whether it be with the alt-right or an actual terror group, it poses a lot of issues. It is undeniable that many attacks in the last year had radicalized alt-right perpetrators, which is a major cause for concern.

The best thing that concerned people can do is deprive the far/alt-right of oxygen and de-legitimize their "platforms" and reprehensible ideologies through clear, concise and sound logic.


We are doing that, but they don't seem to care.


I'd say they care quite a bit, based on their reactions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:56 am
by Evil Dictators Happyland
Inb4 "but the left is just as bad because *mightily inhales* ANTIFA".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:56 am
by -Ocelot-
Major-Tom wrote:Most alt-righters don't have the energy to leave their mother's basement, let alone commit acts of terror. But - the radicalization of people through the internet, whether it be with the alt-right or an actual terror group, it poses a lot of issues. It is undeniable that many attacks in the last year had radicalized alt-right perpetrators, which is a major cause for concern.

The best thing that concerned people can do is deprive the far/alt-right of oxygen and de-legitimize their "platforms" and reprehensible ideologies through clear, concise and sound logic.


Don't forget that most of them are still young and, more often than not, frustrated with their lives. They are quite capable men who believe that they have been cheated by the jews, the immigrants, the government etc. It's not very different than young Islamist men, fundamentally.

What you propose could work. Some platforms like Facebook have been doing exactly that in an effort to keep these terrorists-in-the-making away.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:56 am
by Skarten
If we're being honest here, as much as i disagree with most of what these people say, the modern left kinda brought this upon themselves in the way they've been acting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:57 am
by The Chuck
I'm fairly conservative with my stances and leanings (like it isn't obvious) but I do not condone the actions of any violent group. All sides of the political spectrum have their violent offspring. It doesn't matter if you're right, left, up, or down on the political spectrum. When you attempt to use violence to silence the voices of the opposition, you are the ones at fault.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:57 am
by Bear Stearns
-Ocelot- wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:Most alt-righters don't have the energy to leave their mother's basement, let alone commit acts of terror. But - the radicalization of people through the internet, whether it be with the alt-right or an actual terror group, it poses a lot of issues. It is undeniable that many attacks in the last year had radicalized alt-right perpetrators, which is a major cause for concern.

The best thing that concerned people can do is deprive the far/alt-right of oxygen and de-legitimize their "platforms" and reprehensible ideologies through clear, concise and sound logic.


Don't forget that most of them are still young and, more often than not, frustrated with their lives. They are quite capable men who believe that they have been cheated by the jews, the immigrants, the government etc. It's not very different than young Islamist men, fundamentally.

What you propose could work. Some platforms like Facebook have been doing exactly that in an effort to keep these terrorists-in-the-making away.


The way we've been dealing with Muslim extremists is through drone strikes and torture at CIA blacksites.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:58 am
by Evil Dictators Happyland
Sada Difrium wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
We are doing that, but they don't seem to care.


I'd say they care quite a bit, based on their reactions.

Some of them are thin-skinned snowflakes who tend to run to ever deeper levels of their mom's basement whenever someone calls them out on their illogic, but the ones that actually matter tend to be a bit less concerned with matters like "evidence", "logic", and "human rights".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:59 am
by Evil Dictators Happyland
Skarten wrote:If we're being honest here, as much as i disagree with most of what these people say, the modern left kinda brought this upon themselves in the way they've been acting.

*ding ding ding ding* And we have our first "but the left is just as bad because ANTIFA!" poster. Don't worry, there will be more, and definitely don't ask them to explain why antifa is just as bad, because they won't.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:02 am
by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Bear Stearns wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
We are doing that, but they don't seem to care.


I mean you could just imprison them.

Tempting, but imprisoning because of political beliefs (no mater how stupid and wrong) is a big no no.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:03 am
by Purpelia
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:
Skarten wrote:If we're being honest here, as much as i disagree with most of what these people say, the modern left kinda brought this upon themselves in the way they've been acting.

*ding ding ding ding* And we have our first "but the left is just as bad because ANTIFA!" poster. Don't worry, there will be more, and definitely don't ask them to explain why antifa is just as bad, because they won't.

They are a group that advocates for and uses violence to achieve political ends. They are therefore by definition a terror organization that should be banned and suppressed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:03 am
by Bear Stearns
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
I mean you could just imprison them.

Tempting, but imprisoning because of political beliefs (no mater how stupid and wrong) is a big no no.


C'mon...China's already doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:03 am
by Kragholm Free States
-Ocelot- wrote:I stumbled upon this article today: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... s-reveals/

An analysis of 150,000 chat room messages paints a picture of a group that is actively recruiting new members, buying weapons and trying to influence political parties

An analysis of 150,000 edgy shitposting forums paints a picture of a group that spends their lives making edgy shitposts, and one or two genuine nutters who take it seriously.

-Ocelot- wrote:The article explains how members of the alt-right movement have organized into something most of us would call a terrorist movement if the perpetrators were not white and christian. According to the findings, these people, despite calling themselves an "alternative" right-wing group, appear to be nothing more than young neo-fascists who have adapted into 21st century life and have successfully influenced young people, including children.

On the contrary, this 'movement', with the exception of like two guys, is a bunch of obese neckbeards who never leave their rooms. The far left is desperate to frame them as a huge organised terrorist movement so they have an easy cudgel with which to beat critics of radical Islamists.

-Ocelot- wrote:My question to NSG is this: Is this the birth of a huge international terrorist movement? Will the world have to crackdown on these people eventually? And what can governments do to stop the resurgence of fascism for good?

No. No. And they don't need to because fascism will never again have popular support. Unless, of course, in response to an influential radical left. That's the only thing that could give legitimate fascists even a modicum of power.

-Ocelot- wrote:My opinion is that the alt-right movement was going to become a terrorism organization eventually. From the very beginning, their beliefs were similar to 20th century fascism. In practice, they are fascists who pretend to be nice and concerned about the world, while leading young, frustrated men into committing terrorist acts. Under different circumstances, people would call them terrorists. To be stopped, governments must treat them like they treat radical Islamists and arrest the ones who play a pivotal role into organizing the whole thing.

From the very beginning, they were a bunch of edgy shitposters who a handful of people who were already fascists latched onto. Also, "governments must treat them like they treat radical Islamists"? So, ignore them, make excuses for them, and crack down on anyone who criticises them?

-Ocelot- wrote:Some quotes from the article:

They come from all walks of life: tradesmen, soldiers, a student teacher, a financial analyst, an aspiring lawyer, among others. And they are in every province, in communities large and small. They gather on the internet to strategize and seek pathways into mainstream politics. They are anti-Semitic, anti-immigrant, Islamophobic, sexist and racist. They are young and radicalized. They are the new far right in Canada.

The size of this particular group discussion is modest, at 180 users. But its members do more than simply engage in online talk. They meet in person, spread propaganda and encourage each other to recruit and expand the movement. They purchase weapons and discuss training. They have also attempted to join, influence and volunteer for Canadian political parties, usually adopting a restrained and more palatable guise.

No they don't.

-Ocelot- wrote:
Dank told the online group that he was using his position as a student teacher to influence young minds. He described one classroom scene in which the students were learning about the Second World War and the Holocaust. “In a moment where the actual teacher wasn’t in the room, I casually asked them their thoughts and opinions,” he wrote. The children, he continued, generally saw the Holocaust as “really bad,” but one of them asked why it had happened. Dank asked the young girl, “What was the point of the train cars and the deportations if it was just to kill them all?” He then encouraged the students to look into it on their own if they were curious.

“l’ll play their game and recite what they want to hear,” he said, adding that he was “acing the diversity class because I know all their narratives.”

Ok so there's one guy telling kids to look into the holocaust because he thinks they'll decide it isn't real. And inevitably those kids will look it up, see all the evidence that it is real, and decide that it is real.


-Ocelot- wrote:
He encouraged group members to join the reserves in order to benefit from training in firearms and strategy. Several members of the group posted messages indicating they had either done so or were considering it.

A number of current and former Forces members have been tied to the far right in recent years. In 2017, Forces members who also belonged to the anti-feminist, all-male group Proud Boys disrupted an Indigenous-led protest in Halifax. Among the founders of La Meute, the largest far-right group in Quebec, are military veterans. In media interviews, Chief of Defence Staff General Jonathan Vance has admitted that extremism is present in the Forces – and has said he is determined to stamp it out.

Mmmmm, because joining your nation's military reserves is a sure sign that you're a terrorist. Brawling in the street is also not terrorism. Neither is merely being part of a group designated "far-right".

Absolute mountain out of a molehill.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:03 am
by Skarten
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:
Skarten wrote:If we're being honest here, as much as i disagree with most of what these people say, the modern left kinda brought this upon themselves in the way they've been acting.

*ding ding ding ding* And we have our first "but the left is just as bad because ANTIFA!" poster. Don't worry, there will be more, and definitely don't ask them to explain why antifa is just as bad, because they won't.

Let me ask you a question here. Be honest.

Did you even read what i said?

Or are you just so deep in the rabbit hole that you can't bear the tought that the left has quite literally took the examples some old conservatives were using as examples of what would happen and decided it was not only a great manual, but that they'd go tenfold past it. They didn't just slip in the slippery slope, they slid on it like a goddamn water slide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:03 am
by North German Realm
The "Alt-right" is not a terrorist movement in and of itself. A lot of its adherent member-organizations however are, and the movement itself is prone to breeding terrorists.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:04 am
by Leon the Firm
Antifa admitted that they don't shower weeks before they protest and get into the faces of normal people. They are the real terror threat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:06 am
by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Skarten wrote:If we're being honest here, as much as i disagree with most of what these people say, the modern left kinda brought this upon themselves in the way they've been acting.


Even if that were so, and it isn't, shooting synagogues and mosques is just cold blooded murder.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:06 am
by Skarten
Leon the Firm wrote:Antifa admitted that they don't shower weeks before they protest and get into the faces of normal people. They are the real terror threat.


I'll just make things quicker and do these people's jobs for them

wHaTaBoUtiSm!!!!!!

Because as we all know, saying the n word online is on the same level as beating up people with bikelocks and trying to kill cats because they kinda look like hitler.