NATION

PASSWORD

Hundreds quarantined for measles in 2 CA universities.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:08 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Bring back the black death

You folk can share it amongst yourselves. :)
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:09 am

Conserative Morality wrote:

You folk can share it amongst yourselves. :)

No, mr plague loves you. Mr plague just wants to be your friend, don't be horrible to mr Plague.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:10 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:You folk can share it amongst yourselves. :)

No, mr plague loves you. Mr plague just wants to be your friend, don't be horrible to mr Plague.

I'm not; I'm giving him all the anti-vaxxers he could ever want.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:40 am

Telconi wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
That kind of ends with contagious diseases.

Why? Why do the oh so important rights end when they upset you?

Upsetting me =/= infecting me with preventable diseases...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:46 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Telconi wrote:

I don't believe in quarantine though really. Sounds a lot like false imprisonment.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:50 am

The New California Republic wrote:Upsetting me =/= infecting me with preventable diseases...

I don't believe in quarantine though really. Sounds a lot like false imprisonment.

Good job that I never mentioned quarantine...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:55 am

Telconi wrote:

Are you vaccinated?
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:56 am

The New California Republic wrote:Upsetting me =/= infecting me with preventable diseases...

It is not. It is only making sure people don’t spread a diease and getting others sick. Quarantine is a good thing as long as it is done humanely.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:59 am

Aclion wrote:

Are you vaccinated?

Not how that works. Yes vaccines are effective but they are not 100% and there are some who cannot be vaccinated. The idea that unvaccinated people can’t hurt vaccinated people is simply Bullshit.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:59 am

Conserative Morality wrote:I'd be much happier if you didn't live in my world, since I enjoy not playing "15th Century Plague Roulette".

Bring back smallpox.

What.

Conserative Morality wrote:Bring back exile for those who expose their nation to disease.

Bring back the black death

The bloody FUCK?

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:59 am

Aclion wrote:

Are you vaccinated?

Yes but that's irrelevant, as herd immunity is required for many diseases to be prevented, as vaccinations are not 100% effective at preventing even vaccinated individuals from being infected if there are a large number of infected individuals in the community.

Wave on, wave on

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:10 am

Aclion wrote:Are you vaccinated?

Yes but that's irrelevant, as herd immunity is required for many diseases to be prevented, as vaccinations are not 100% effective at preventing even vaccinated individuals from being infected if there are a large number of infected individuals in the community.

What worse, having non vaccinated individuals get sick forces them to treat the illness with medicine to which the pathogen can than become immune to (given that the sort of idiot that won't take a shot is also unlikely to finish his treatment properly). And this can lead to all sorts of ugly and undesirable mutations such as those that might eventually render vaccination worthless.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:13 am

Purpelia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Yes but that's irrelevant, as herd immunity is required for many diseases to be prevented, as vaccinations are not 100% effective at preventing even vaccinated individuals from being infected if there are a large number of infected individuals in the community.

What worse, having non vaccinated individuals get sick forces them to treat the illness with medicine to which the pathogen can than become immune to (given that the sort of idiot that won't take a shot is also unlikely to finish his treatment properly). And this can lead to all sorts of ugly and undesirable mutations such as those that might eventually render vaccination worthless.

Yes. Prevention is better than cure, especially in light of the dearth in any new antibiotics etc being created in recent decades.

Wave on, wave on

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:15 am

Purpelia wrote:What worse, having non vaccinated individuals get sick forces them to treat the illness with medicine to which the pathogen can than become immune to (given that the sort of idiot that won't take a shot is also unlikely to finish his treatment properly). And this can lead to all sorts of ugly and undesirable mutations such as those that might eventually render vaccination worthless.

Yes. Prevention is better than cure, especially in light of the dearth in any new antibiotics etc being created in recent decades.

Which is why I said it before and shall again. Any country that wishes to properly accomplish its primary duty of protecting its citizens from threats both foreign and domestic must force upon them vaccination.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:24 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:How on earth does a university have the authority to kidnap people?

Probably the CDC's mandate.
Sanctum and Ultima wrote:Well, we should do what other nations did, but we'll be one step ahead of them: ban non-vaccinated children from schools and public places and jail/execute anti-vaxx parents

Yeah let's deny children an education because their parents never got them vaccinated.
I'm quite happy that I don't live in your world, since the only jab I've ever had was prior to removing a tooth.

Conserative Morality wrote:Bring back exile for those who expose their nation to disease.

Bring back the black death

Already did.

For 21 days, until you can't spread it anymore. Remember it's virulent AND airborne. People who spread it can leave their little viral loads floating in the air for up to two hours after they have left, which is why doctor's offices DON'T want people suspected of having measles in their waiting rooms spreading it to everyone else.

It's not 'false imprisonment' if you're a disease vector. It's protecting the rest of society.

Hey, let's provide OTHER PEOPLE with protection from virulent and possibly fatal diseases.
Last edited by Katganistan on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:13 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Exections for anti-vaxxers would only strengthen them.

Have to say I've never seen anyone come out of an execution stronger than they entered it.

martyrdom works in strange ways.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:41 am

Katganistan wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:How on earth does a university have the authority to kidnap people?

Probably the CDC's mandate.
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Yeah let's deny children an education because their parents never got them vaccinated.
I'm quite happy that I don't live in your world, since the only jab I've ever had was prior to removing a tooth.

Already did.
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I don't believe in quarantine though really. Sounds a lot like false imprisonment.

For 21 days, until you can't spread it anymore. Remember it's virulent AND airborne. People who spread it can leave their little viral loads floating in the air for up to two hours after they have left, which is why doctor's offices DON'T want people suspected of having measles in their waiting rooms spreading it to everyone else.

It's not 'false imprisonment' if you're a disease vector. It's protecting the rest of society.

Hey, let's provide OTHER PEOPLE with protection from virulent and possibly fatal diseases.

I don't really hold an interest in the protection of society though, I care far more about individual freedom.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:30 am

Katganistan wrote:Probably the CDC's mandate.

Already did.

I don't really hold an interest in the protection of society though, I care far more about individual freedom.

Individual freedom does not matter more than the well being of countless others. Quarantining people so they cannot spread diseases as long as it is done humanely is a good thing period.

Your freedom is not unlimited and it ends when it begins to harm others.
Last edited by Andsed on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:17 am

Already did.

So you’d rather die from a pandemic than have people quarantined?
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:35 am

Telconi wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
That kind of ends with contagious diseases.

You don't understand a contagious disease?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:41 am

Already did.

Hmmmm? The possibility of Pneumonia, Lifelong brain damage, deafness or death.

I should care about your "freedom"...why?.....
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:19 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I don't really hold an interest in the protection of society though, I care far more about individual freedom.

So you’d rather die from a pandemic than have people quarantined?

yes I would.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:22 pm

Thermodolia wrote:So you’d rather die from a pandemic than have people quarantined?

yes I would.

You got a really fucked up moral compass dude
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:39 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:yes I would.

You got a really fucked up moral compass dude

I don't really have what a lot of people seem to have which tells them that staying alive is the thing to do. I could live until I'm 120, I could die tomorrow: I don't mind.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:50 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Shofercia wrote:take the money away from Union Pensions; it's ok, I think they can survive on $60,000 a year, I don't think they need all $120,000.

So basically, steal the money people earned through their working lives because you don't think they're entitled to it.

Classy.

Let alone that pensions certainly do not guarantee anyone "$120,000 a year".

Actually, they do. Might want to look up CalPERS, which invests pension funds on a whim, and then proceeds to demand that cities and counties cover the shortfall, should their own investments turn out to be mistakes.

https://calmatters.org/articles/comment ... nderwater/

CalPERS was, by its own calculations, 100 percent funded during the 1990s and into the first decade of the 21st century – so healthy, in fact, that state and local officials felt free to sharply increase pension benefits retroactively. However, pension funds took immense hits during the Great Recession – CalPERS alone lost $100 billion – and most have not fully recovered.

In fact, between 2007 and 2016, before the 2017-18 stock market surge, CalPERS’ total liabilities increased by a startling 76 percent, from $248 billion to $436 billion, while its assets increased by just 19 percent, from $251 billion to $298 billion, sharply increasing the fund’s unfunded liabilities. The earnings surge, plus big increases in mandatory “contributions” from state and local governments, did raise CalPERS’ official funded level slightly to 70 percent, but that was still a long way from 100 percent – and now it’s declining again.

Very quietly, CalPERS officials told its governing board last month that the trust fund actually lost 3.9 percent during 2018, apparently due to the sharp stock market decline late in the year, pushing its funded level back down to about 67 percent.

If by "earned" it you mean "state and local officials felt free to sharply increase pension benefits retroactively" then sure they "earned" it. As for "no one" being guaranteed $120,000 in pensions, well: https://reason.com/2017/10/23/californi ... club-2016/

Last week Transparent California released data showing that more than 62,000 retired California public workers earn at least six figures in annual retirement benefits.

So are you claiming that those 62,000 people don't exist, Katganistan? Or that all 62,000 earn between $100,000 and $119,999 in pension benefits? Ah, the entitlement mentality of some Californians, it never gets old.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General