NATION

PASSWORD

What do you consider an ideal house?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:59 pm

Breach proof reinforced concrete bunker style home, roomy enough for 12, complete with shooting range, reloading room, etc., with sustainable off grid power supply along with water.
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:40 pm

Galloism wrote:Something like this works for me:

(Image)

And here I was thinking the Death Star would be a better home. That or someplace in the desert
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:44 pm

A nice mediterranean style mansion with a lot courtyards
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:48 pm

A house made of jars full of nail clippings.

Khataiy
Minister

Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Khataiy » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:51 pm

A large villa with multiple rooms and an interior like this

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:54 pm

Depends on my mood. A more or less practical answer is that the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC has a large gallery set up like a luxury Italian urban duplex, two large, L-shaped townhouses surrounding a long, thin courtyard with gardens. That would do for a fine house for us, with friends living in the other half.

The more fun answer is a C-130 Hercules cargo plane, suitably outfitted. Because you can live in a C-130, but you can't fly a house. :P
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Igueranel
Secretary

Founded: Nov 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Igueranel » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:08 pm

Just something that covers the basics. Couple of bedrooms, living room, a small office. The house itself isn't as important to me. What would really be important for me is land around the house. Woods, maybe a pond. I'm a writer, so being in the middle of nowhere surrounded by nature, with just a cozy little house to relax in(internet connection required) is just perfect to me. Ideally enough forest that I could invite a few friends or family members in the fall to hunt together.

Flaireis
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Flaireis » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:11 pm

A small cabin, Walden-style.
T R A N S
P R I D E

a Level 6/0/5 Nation (rank 19.2)
Not Reflective of my actual views (I'm an anarchist IRL)
My entire military is the DK crew

Even though NS stats are often accurate, I don't use them.

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Founded: Sep 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:14 pm

Basic necessity it would be- 1 kitchen (slightly updated), at least 3 bedrooms, at least 2 baths, and of course a living room.

If I was loaded, well lets he image do the talking-
”I’ve always been leery of the United Nations. The very concept is comically dichotomous. Nations putting their self-interests aside in the hopes of building a global community, holding hands and Kumbaya? I mean, honestly, it’s like kindergarten. Do you have rug time? I did love rug time.”

-Raymond Reddington

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:42 pm

Woods Is Back wrote:Basic necessity it would be- 1 kitchen (slightly updated), at least 3 bedrooms, at least 2 baths, and of course a living room.

If it wasn't for the image, you could pretty much have any style of house based on that initial project brief that you have given; anything from Neoclassical to Deconstructivist.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Lamborghini Aventador
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Lamborghini Aventador » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:03 pm

Woods Is Back wrote:Basic necessity it would be- 1 kitchen (slightly updated), at least 3 bedrooms, at least 2 baths, and of course a living room.

It just saying buy it

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:06 pm

A tiny house (385-500 sq. Ft.) on rural acreage large enough for a few goats, a steer, and some chickens. Yeah, that sounds just about perfect, to me.
Insert trite farewell here

Hladgos
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hladgos » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:27 pm

An invincible 3 person tent on flat enough ground to do motorcycle maintenance next to.
Divair wrote:Hladcore.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're a nut. I like that.
Pro: being outside, conserving our Earth, the pursuit of happiness, universal acceptance
Anti: ignorance and intolerance
Life is suffering. Suffering is caused by craving and aversion. Suffering can be overcome and happiness can be attained. Live a moral life.

"Life would be tragic if it weren't funny." -Stephen Hawking

"The purpose of our life is to be happy." -Dali Lama

"If I had no sense of humor, I would have long ago committed suicide." -Gandhi

"Don't worry, be happy!" -Bobby McFerrin

Silly Pride

"No." -Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:41 am

Scomagia wrote:A tiny house (385-500 sq. Ft.) on rural acreage large enough for a few goats, a steer, and some chickens. Yeah, that sounds just about perfect, to me.

Under 500 square feet? What are you living in? A shoe box?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:06 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Scomagia wrote:A tiny house (385-500 sq. Ft.) on rural acreage large enough for a few goats, a steer, and some chickens. Yeah, that sounds just about perfect, to me.

Under 500 square feet? What are you living in? A shoe box?

My house right now is 385 sq ft. If you don't have a lot of superfluous junk, it's pretty comfy.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:24 am

Scomagia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Under 500 square feet? What are you living in? A shoe box?

My house right now is 385 sq ft. If you don't have a lot of superfluous junk, it's pretty comfy.

One of my interests in architecture is micro houses and the like, and with some creative design I agree that it is perfectly possible to create a house that is quite charming and roomy.

Here are some examples: https://www.countryliving.com/home-desi ... iny-house/
Last edited by The New California Republic on Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Aaaaaa
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Aaaaaa » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:29 am

Just give me a small house with a big front yard in at least a relatively safe small town/village and I'll make due.
"Let thy freedom be a beacon of independence, a conduit of good deeds, and a giving of praise to the Lord."
Click here for the Aaaaaan Conflict Map (Updated January 2024)
=== AAAAAA ===
Progressively ruining NationStates since December 2012™ (Add 4000+ posts)

Aaaaaa (pronounced AH-AY-UH)
Aaaaaan News Ticker (Updated August 8th 2023)
AURNVONS LAUNCH ATTACKS ON SPICUEIL AGAIN • BOMBSHELL REPORT ALLEGES LIEVUE TROOPS DELIBERATELY KILLING CIVILIANS • BEATINNEN SAYS ACTIVE REBELLION STANDS AT "WELL OVER 3000 ARMED MEN & WOMEN" • LIEVUE MEDIA CLAIM CEASEFIRE AGREEMENT IS IN DEVELOPMENT

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:40 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Scomagia wrote:My house right now is 385 sq ft. If you don't have a lot of superfluous junk, it's pretty comfy.

One of my interests in architecture is micro houses and the like, and with some creative design I agree that it is perfectly possible to create a house that is quite charming and roomy.

Here are some examples: https://www.countryliving.com/home-desi ... iny-house/

The missus and I are looking at having a more custom house after we sell this one. I think she's actually shown me some of the ones from the link as examples of what she's thinking.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:54 am

Are we talking with no restrictions on the price and size or the ideal "reasonable" house? Because if it's #1 than basically think one of those huge mansions like you have in the original Resident Evil. And if we are talking reasonable I say the perfect home is a Roman/Chinese/Japanese style house. That's the one where you have a house that's built in a block around one or more internal courtyards and like all your rooms open up to that yard for easy access to light and nature but there are no windows on the outside for outsiders to peer into or climb through and for the dust and noise of street life to infest your home through. Imagine if you were to build one of those to modern code with like a pool in the middle and all the other amenities of life. But at the same time retaining the traditional enclosed and coasy feel. I'd kill for one of those.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:06 am

Purpelia wrote:Are we talking with no restrictions on the price and size or the ideal "reasonable" house? Because if it's #1 than basically think one of those huge mansions like you have in the original Resident Evil. And if we are talking reasonable I say the perfect home is a Roman/Chinese/Japanese style house. That's the one where you have a house that's built in a block around one or more internal courtyards and like all your rooms open up to that yard for easy access to light and nature but there are no windows on the outside for outsiders to peer into or climb through and for the dust and noise of street life to infest your home through. Imagine if you were to build one of those to modern code with like a pool in the middle and all the other amenities of life. But at the same time retaining the traditional enclosed and coasy feel. I'd kill for one of those.

You'd like Azuma House.

Wave on, wave on

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:08 am

Purpelia wrote:Are we talking with no restrictions on the price and size or the ideal "reasonable" house? Because if it's #1 than basically think one of those huge mansions like you have in the original Resident Evil. And if we are talking reasonable I say the perfect home is a Roman/Chinese/Japanese style house. That's the one where you have a house that's built in a block around one or more internal courtyards and like all your rooms open up to that yard for easy access to light and nature but there are no windows on the outside for outsiders to peer into or climb through and for the dust and noise of street life to infest your home through. Imagine if you were to build one of those to modern code with like a pool in the middle and all the other amenities of life. But at the same time retaining the traditional enclosed and coasy feel. I'd kill for one of those.

You'd like Azuma House.

No, that thing is an ugly block. I am talking about one of these but with proper indoor plumbing and electrical work.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:10 am

Purpelia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:You'd like Azuma House.

No, that thing is an ugly block. I am talking about one of these but with proper indoor plumbing and electrical work.

Alright. It's just that your description was almost a perfect fit for the building I just suggested. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wave on, wave on

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:13 am

Purpelia wrote:No, that thing is an ugly block. I am talking about one of these but with proper indoor plumbing and electrical work.
(Image)

Alright. It's just that your description was almost a perfect fit for the building I just suggested. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I did not read the page in detail but the images did not show an internal courtyard large enough to put a modern backyard pool and plant some trees on the side. Which really would be the ideal.

Like, imagine it. You have all your rooms opening up to a roofed walkway surrounding this big courtyard. And it has a couple trees for shade in one corner with maybe some benches on the walkway for sitting and having coffee and stuff. And than in the middle you have an american style big pool. With maybe some decorative stonework to make a fake spring or something to make it look more natural. But you still totally make the roof out of solar panels just because.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:18 am

Purpelia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Alright. It's just that your description was almost a perfect fit for the building I just suggested. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I did not read the page in detail but the images did not show an internal courtyard large enough to put a modern backyard pool and plant some trees on the side. Which really would be the ideal.

Like, imagine it. You have all your rooms opening up to a roofed walkway surrounding this big courtyard. And it has a couple trees for shade in one corner with maybe some benches on the walkway for sitting and having coffee and stuff. And than in the middle you have an american style big pool. With maybe some decorative stonework to make a fake spring or something to make it look more natural. But you still totally make the roof out of solar panels just because.

Which is not a good concept for places with bad weather.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:19 am

Novus America wrote:
Purpelia wrote:I did not read the page in detail but the images did not show an internal courtyard large enough to put a modern backyard pool and plant some trees on the side. Which really would be the ideal.

Which is not a good concept for places with bad weather.

It's not like Asia doesn't get rain, or typhoons for that matter. And the occasional rain or storm can be beautiful to watch from your window and the comfort of your home. Plus in this day and age you could make a retractable roof. If they can put it on stadiums you can put it on a house. Not that you need to because, again, there is nothing quite as pleasant as sitting on your roofed veranda looking at the rain as it slowly drips by just far enough away not to get you but close enough that you can reach out and touch it.

Although I will admit my dream would probably not survive Scotland or the like.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General