NATION

PASSWORD

Explosions at churches and hotels in Sri Lanka

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Krasland
Civilian

Founded: Dec 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Krasland » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:52 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Havarland wrote:koran states that Christians are their enemies and infidels and they must be destroyed.

Eehem, no. The Koran in fact states the opposite - Christians and jews are people of the Book. Jesus is even a prophet in Islam. The enemies are pagans.

Not that it apparantly matters, since it seems this was an attack perfomed by muslims against christians and western tourists.

I thought muslims' enemy is satan, and only go to war only if they (muslims) are being attacked

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:59 pm

Krasland wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:Eehem, no. The Koran in fact states the opposite - Christians and jews are people of the Book. Jesus is even a prophet in Islam. The enemies are pagans.

Not that it apparantly matters, since it seems this was an attack perfomed by muslims against christians and western tourists.

I thought muslims' enemy is satan, and only go to war only if they (muslims) are being attacked

The terrorists do think the West is literally Satan.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:40 pm

Unstoppable Empire of Doom wrote:
Jolthig wrote:Not to mention, he's ignoring several other Quranic verses and hadith that go contrary to this man's claim.

I'm talking about historical fact, not religious beliefs. I know much about the former if you are interested in learning.

A lot of your posts talk about "Qur'an teaches x" so you actually were talking about the religion.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:16 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Unstoppable Empire of Doom wrote:I'm talking about historical fact, not religious beliefs. I know much about the former if you are interested in learning.

A lot of your posts talk about "Qur'an teaches x" so you actually were talking about the religion.

There's the Qur'an teaching X, and then there's the historical fact on how the Muslims living in year Y interpret and practice X.

Unstoppable Empire of Doom wrote:You are free to read the Quran if you want context. Islam has it's origins in conversion at knifepoint. Thus the book pushes violence as a part of the faith. Deny it all you want but it has directly led to the violence we now see.

I assume you mean the Caliphate's original expansion from the 600s to 1000? The 'knifepoint' part is political domination. If you want to keep your Judaism and Christianity there, you have to pay up, but you aren't forced to be a Muslim like how the Romans forced Christians to renounce Jesus back when they were persecuting the latter.
Last edited by Diarcesia on Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:21 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:A lot of your posts talk about "Qur'an teaches x" so you actually were talking about the religion.

There's the Qur'an teaching X, and then there's the historical fact on how the Muslims living in year Y interpret and practice X.

Unstoppable Empire of Doom wrote:You are free to read the Quran if you want context. Islam has it's origins in conversion at knifepoint. Thus the book pushes violence as a part of the faith. Deny it all you want but it has directly led to the violence we now see.

I assume you mean the Caliphate's original expansion from the 600s to 1000? The 'knifepoint' part is political domination. If you want to keep your Judaism and Christianity there, you have to pay up, but you aren't forced to be a Muslim like how the Romans forced Christians to renounce Jesus back when they were persecuting the latter.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=462608&p=35626319#p35626319
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:32 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:A lot of your posts talk about "Qur'an teaches x" so you actually were talking about the religion.

Well ... accused Christians were asked if they were, indeed, Christians. If the answered no, they were asked to sacrifice to the gods and swear by the emperor's genius. If they answered yes, they were asked to recant. If they refused to sacrifice or recant, they were punished. Persecutions were not uniform over the whole empire, however, and were conducted very much at the whim of the local populace and governors. Then, too, Christians often volunteered for martyrdom. Antoninus Pius Augustus' grandfather, Arrius Antoninus, when governing Asia, ran into such a group and told them, "If you want to die, you wretches, you can use ropes or precipices."

But I digress.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Mon May 13, 2019 8:25 pm

And now, for more fallout from this fucking mess out of so fucking many, we have this from the BBC:

Sri Lanka has imposed a night-time curfew across the country amid an upsurge in anti-Muslim violence.

Mosques and Muslim-owned shops have been targeted and local police say one man has been killed.

In several towns, police fired into the air and used tear gas to disperse hundreds of rioters.

Tensions have been high since Islamist militants attacked churches and hotels on Easter Sunday, killing more than 250 people.

Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe has appealed for calm saying the current unrest was hampering the investigation into last month's attacks in the early hours of Monday.

In the north-western town of Kiniyama, windows and doors to a mosque were smashed and copies of the Koran thrown on the floor.

The attack was triggered by a group of people demanding a search of the building after soldiers inspected a lake nearby looking for weapons, Reuters news agency reports.

In the Catholic-majority town of Chilaw, Muslim-owned shops and mosques were attacked after a dispute that started on Facebook, police said.

A 38-year-old Muslim businessman identified as the author of the post that sparked the violence was arrested.

A man died from stab wounds after a mob attacked his business in Puttalam District, also in Sri Lanka's north-west.

Officials have blocked some social media platforms and messaging apps, including Facebook and Whatsapp, in an attempt to curb the violence.

"I appeal to all citizens to remain calm and not be swayed by false information. Security forces are working tirelessly to apprehend terrorists and ensure the security of the country," the prime minister said on Twitter, which has not been blocked.

Incidents were also reported in the town of Hettipola, where at least three shops were reportedly torched.

Muslims make up nearly 10% of Sri Lanka's 22 million people, who are predominantly Sinhalese Buddhists.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon May 13, 2019 8:50 pm

Duhon wrote:And now, for more fallout from this fucking mess out of so fucking many, we have this from the BBC:

Sri Lanka has imposed a night-time curfew across the country amid an upsurge in anti-Muslim violence.

Mosques and Muslim-owned shops have been targeted and local police say one man has been killed.

In several towns, police fired into the air and used tear gas to disperse hundreds of rioters.

Tensions have been high since Islamist militants attacked churches and hotels on Easter Sunday, killing more than 250 people.

Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe has appealed for calm saying the current unrest was hampering the investigation into last month's attacks in the early hours of Monday.

In the north-western town of Kiniyama, windows and doors to a mosque were smashed and copies of the Koran thrown on the floor.

The attack was triggered by a group of people demanding a search of the building after soldiers inspected a lake nearby looking for weapons, Reuters news agency reports.

In the Catholic-majority town of Chilaw, Muslim-owned shops and mosques were attacked after a dispute that started on Facebook, police said.

A 38-year-old Muslim businessman identified as the author of the post that sparked the violence was arrested.

A man died from stab wounds after a mob attacked his business in Puttalam District, also in Sri Lanka's north-west.

Officials have blocked some social media platforms and messaging apps, including Facebook and Whatsapp, in an attempt to curb the violence.

"I appeal to all citizens to remain calm and not be swayed by false information. Security forces are working tirelessly to apprehend terrorists and ensure the security of the country," the prime minister said on Twitter, which has not been blocked.

Incidents were also reported in the town of Hettipola, where at least three shops were reportedly torched.

Muslims make up nearly 10% of Sri Lanka's 22 million people, who are predominantly Sinhalese Buddhists.

More often than not this is the aftermath and generally it's not reported on - I noted it in my first post on this subject.. viewtopic.php?p=35610867#p35610867
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Mon May 13, 2019 11:36 pm

Bombadil wrote:
More often than not this is the aftermath and generally it's not reported on - I noted it in my first post on this subject.. viewtopic.php?p=35610867#p35610867

The tragedy is that it benefits the terrorists, by forcing peaceful Muslims to make a choice between siding with the terrorist or with people they feel threatened by. Polarisation always helps extremists.
Everything is intertwinkled

Duhon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Tue May 14, 2019 12:08 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

The tragedy is that it benefits the terrorists, by forcing peaceful Muslims to make a choice between siding with the terrorist or with people they feel threatened by. Polarisation always helps extremists.

The fear is now they'll be scared enough and/or angry enough to play their fucked-up part, even though they may see this intent from a hundred days away.

Sanctum and Ultima
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctum and Ultima » Tue May 14, 2019 12:20 am

If the forums existed in the '90s, Islamophobic bastards would spew out words like "MILOSEVIC DID NOTHING WRONG!" or some other male cattle defecation.
This nation actually does not really represent my OOC/IRL views.
9axes: https://9axes.github.io/results.html?a= ... &h=85&i=23
RIP NOTRE DAME
Inner Lands wrote:One men, multiplied by two, divided in four, and obligated to live in eight realms each part of it.

Corrupt Dictator Doges wrote:The former USSR, but with food
United Realms of Sanctum and Ultima
Sæþvir Činovidatăriþ Qahtașăr uc Vilyraðe
A nation set in a world where nations compete for a territory in space...
Now, after getting lots of territory in outer space, our nation was thrown into disarray due to technocrats and commies.
Q&A
PMT nations are the best (change my mind)

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue May 14, 2019 9:24 am

Duhon wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:

The fear is now they'll be scared enough and/or angry enough to play their fucked-up part, even though they may see this intent from a hundred days away.

They already do - last week police found a stash of bombs and weapons buried in the garden behind a mosque.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Duhon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Tue May 14, 2019 10:19 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Duhon wrote:

They already do - last week police found a stash of bombs and weapons buried in the garden behind a mosque.

I kind ot doubt that stash got there in the weeks following the attacks.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General