NATION

PASSWORD

Explosions at churches and hotels in Sri Lanka

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Svasat
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Svasat » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:01 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Svasat wrote:Could serve as a statement they want a Buddhist Eelam, not a Christian Eelam. That's how I am understanding it.

Tamils are mostly Hindu though.

True, they did attack the most holiest Buddhist shrine in the area.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:02 am

Could be the Tigers, but at the same time, this stands in contrast to the usual activity of the Tigers - especially when paired with the rapid advancement in peace for Sri Lanka between ethnic, linguistic, and religious lines. I suspect a sort of fringe attack could be in play here, but it is too early to speculate.

All I can say knowing what I know is that the attacker/attackers are despicable individuals who likely carried a despicable motive that deserve nothing less than the highest degree of condemnation and retribution. This is indefensible, and I have the victims deep in my thoughts. How anyone can do something like this really baffles me.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:03 am

Svasat wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Bombing churches and hotels wouldn’t garner them a Tamil controlled region in Sri Lanka, really, if that were the case. I thought it was them for a minute but I have a feeling this isn’t the work of the Tamil Tigers.

Could serve as a statement they want a Buddhist Eelam, not a Christian Eelam. That's how I am understanding it.

I could be wrong but isn’t Christianity is a small religion in Sri Lanka?
https://m.news24.com/World/News/explosi ... y-20190421
Suicide bombers are suspected of starting some of the explosions.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Svasat
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Svasat » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:03 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Svasat wrote:Could serve as a statement they want a Buddhist Eelam, not a Christian Eelam. That's how I am understanding it.

Yes, the vast majority of Sri Lankans are Theravada Buddhists.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:05 am

Svasat wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Then it really wouldn’t make much sense for TT, considering what their main mission was, to target such a minority, don’t you think?
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:06 am

Svasat wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

But wasnt TT secular in its beliefs? Not just anti christian?
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Svasat
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Svasat » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:07 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Svasat wrote:Yes, the vast majority of Sri Lankans are Theravada Buddhists.

Then it really wouldn’t make much sense for TT, considering what their main mission was, to target such a minority, don’t you think?

They're fighting for a separate Tamil state; Christianity is not Tamil.

Svasat
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Svasat » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:08 am

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:

Could be a fringe extremist minority. Who knows really..

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:09 am

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:

As I understood it, the TT wanted to establish a Tamil controlled region in Sri Lanka. I don’t recall their mission being religiously inclined, although they did attack the Great Stuppa in Kandy (sp?) several years ago.
Slava Ukraini

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:11 am

Svasat wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

They're fighting for a separate Tamil state; Christianity is not Tamil.

Neither is Theravada Buddhism and that’s the major religious demographic in Sri Lanka. If it were the TT, wouldn’t attacking temples and stuppas be more in tandem with their stated mission?
Slava Ukraini

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:19 am

Various newssites are now claiming at least two of the attacks were done by suicide bombers named Zahran Hashim and Abu Mohammed.

So.. muslims. Probably...
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Havarland
Envoy

Founded: Nov 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Havarland » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:29 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Lichian wrote:Fucking tragic to have this happen on Easter of all days. I don't think it's the Tamils in the slightest, but could it maybe be some group trying to get revenge for Christchurch? I hope not, because that'd just make things even more horrific.

While the muslims on sri lanka in recent years have had some serious problems with the local buddhists, they tend to get along with the christians pretty well. So that would be an odd thing to do.
It is a riddle...

Who knows, maybe the conspiracy theories were right and Notre Dame was only the beginning of a large scale attack on the Catholic Church.

koran states that Christians are their enemies and infidels and they must be destroyed.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:32 am

Havarland wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
While the muslims on sri lanka in recent years have had some serious problems with the local buddhists, they tend to get along with the christians pretty well. So that would be an odd thing to do.
It is a riddle...

Who knows, maybe the conspiracy theories were right and Notre Dame was only the beginning of a large scale attack on the Catholic Church.

koran states that Christians are their enemies and infidels and they must be destroyed.

Eehem, no. The Koran in fact states the opposite - Christians and jews are people of the Book. Jesus is even a prophet in Islam. The enemies are pagans.

Not that it apparantly matters, since it seems this was an attack perfomed by muslims against christians and western tourists.
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

The Eastern Antarctic State
Minister

Founded: Jun 06, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Eastern Antarctic State » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:34 am

Could there be a possibility of a Buddhist attack? I know Buddhists in Myanmar and Sri Lanka don't seem to be as lovey dovey as they are popularly portrayed.
This ensues
The Republic of Eastern Antarctica is a country located on the Eastern portion of the Antarctic Continent, Has leftist policies, but is still capitalist.

NOTE: I am an Australian.
I enjoy playing/watching Cricket and Rugby League every now and then. Love me some history and paradox games. Studying at University. Catholic. You can call me TEAS or EAS

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:39 am

The Eastern Antarctic State wrote:Could there be a possibility of a Buddhist attack? I know Buddhists in Myanmar and Sri Lanka don't seem to be as lovey dovey as they are popularly portrayed.

Possible. Could be anybody.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

Svasat
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Svasat » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:43 am

The Eastern Antarctic State wrote:Could there be a possibility of a Buddhist attack? I know Buddhists in Myanmar and Sri Lanka don't seem to be as lovey dovey as they are popularly portrayed.

With names such as Zahran Hashim and Abu Mohammed I doubt it.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:46 am

Svasat wrote:

With names such as Zahran Hashim and Abu Mohammed I doubt it.

Many news sites are still stating "unknown"; so we cannot be 100% certain yet.
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:46 am

If people could stop being cunts and blowing shit up that would be amazing
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Negarakita
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Negarakita » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:49 am

The Alma Mater wrote:Various newssites are now claiming at least two of the attacks were done by suicide bombers named Zahran Hashim and Abu Mohammed.

So.. muslims. Probably...

That's coming from an Indian news site, not sure how reliable it is.

That said, it pains me to say it but it really likely is Muslims. They've faced quite a bit of violence in Sri Lanka recently, although the targetting of Christians confuses me as the two groups have historically been really friendly in Sri lanka.
Muslim revert, supporting wasatiyyah for a true and moderate expression of our faith. Political centrist.

Havarland
Envoy

Founded: Nov 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Havarland » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:53 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Havarland wrote:koran states that Christians are their enemies and infidels and they must be destroyed.

Eehem, no. The Koran in fact states the opposite - Christians and jews are people of the Book. Jesus is even a prophet in Islam. The enemies are pagans.

Not that it apparantly matters, since it seems this was an attack perfomed by muslims against christians and western tourists.

Bullshit.
Fight for Allah: "And kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of the unbelievers, (Quran 2:191).
Muslims are to battle for Allah: "Those who believe do battle for the cause of Allah; and those who disbelieve do battle for the cause of idols. So fight the minions of the devil. Lo! the devil's strategy is ever weak," (Quran 4:76).
Kill those against Islam: "The only reward of those who make war upon Allah and His messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be that they will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter," (Quran 5:33).
llah urges war: "O Prophet! urge the believers to war; if there are twenty patient ones of you they shall overcome two hundred, and if there are a hundred of you they shall overcome a thousand of those who disbelieve, because they are a people who do not understand," (Quran 8:65).

Slay non-Muslims: "Then, when the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful," (Quran 9:5).

Allah urges killing: " . . . the hypocrites and those in whose hearts is a disease and the agitators in the city do not desist . . . 61Cursed: wherever they are found they shall be seized and murdered, a (horrible) murdering. 62(Such has been) the course of Allah with respect to those who have gone before; and you shall not find any change in the course of Allah, (Quran 33:60-62).

Allah loves those who fight for him: "Truly Allah loves those who fight in His Cause in battle array, as if they were a solid cemented structure," (Quran 61:4)

Allah urges killing: " . . . the hypocrites and those in whose hearts is a disease and the agitators in the city do not desist . . . 61Cursed: wherever they are found they shall be seized and murdered, a (horrible) murdering. 62(Such has been) the course of Allah with respect to those who have gone before; and you shall not find any change in the course of Allah, (Quran 33:60-62).

I've been attacked by Muslims, because I am not one. Both online and in real life. There are also Sunni and Shia muslims who hate each other. You think I don't know any people from Iraq, Afghanistan etc…? Some Muslims at least have been very honest with me when we've discussed those things and it does tell to kill Christians.

A few days ago I had a conversation with a Muslim lady who told me the same thing and I am not going to tell what else she told, but what you are saying is complete bs.

Now, I am not going to argue with you. Happy Easter and don't lie to people.
Last edited by Havarland on Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Negarakita
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Negarakita » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:53 am

One thing to remember is that several politicians have already made big statements about it, which has led a few people to get suspicious (just going off what I've seen on twitter) that it could have been some kinda insider thing right before the elections.

I'm just scared that it will be a Muslim attack, cos the Sri Lankan muslim community are pretty peaceful and would likely be massacred in the aftermath.
Muslim revert, supporting wasatiyyah for a true and moderate expression of our faith. Political centrist.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:56 am

Havarland wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:Eehem, no. The Koran in fact states the opposite - Christians and jews are people of the Book. Jesus is even a prophet in Islam. The enemies are pagans.

Bullshit.
Fight for Allah: "And kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of the unbelievers, (Quran 2:191).
Muslims are to battle for Allah: "Those who believe do battle for the cause of Allah; and those who disbelieve do battle for the cause of idols. So fight the minions of the devil. Lo! the devil's strategy is ever weak," (Quran 4:76).
Kill those against Islam: "The only reward of those who make war upon Allah and His messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be that they will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter," (Quran 5:33).
llah urges war: "O Prophet! urge the believers to war; if there are twenty patient ones of you they shall overcome two hundred, and if there are a hundred of you they shall overcome a thousand of those who disbelieve, because they are a people who do not understand," (Quran 8:65).

Slay non-Muslims: "Then, when the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful," (Quran 9:5).

Allah loves those who fight for him: "Truly Allah loves those who fight in His Cause in battle array, as if they were a solid cemented structure," (Quran 61:4)

I've been attacked by Muslims, because I am not one. Both online and in real life. There are also Sunni and Shia muslims who hate each other. You think I don't know any people from Iraq, Afghanistan etc…? Some Muslims at least have been very honest with me when we've discussed those things and it does tell to kill Christians.

A few days ago I had a conversation with a Muslim lady who told me the same thing and I am not going to tell what else she told, but what you are saying is complete bs.

I guess that makes Al-Andalus not a true Islamic state then.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:56 am

Havarland wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
It is a riddle...

If I remember, it's actually quite the opposite. Christians, Jews, and Muslims are all considered people of the book. And I'm pretty sure that either the Koran or Muslim scholars tend to agree that the god worshipped by all three are the same god.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Negarakita
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Negarakita » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:57 am

Havarland wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:Eehem, no. The Koran in fact states the opposite - Christians and jews are people of the Book. Jesus is even a prophet in Islam. The enemies are pagans.

Bullshit.

Imagine not understanding context and instead parroting some talking points which ironically strengthen not only violence against muslims but also give affirmation to Islamic extremists.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:59 am

A seventh bomb apparantly just went off near the Sri Lanka zoo in Colombo...
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General