NATION

PASSWORD

TDT 4: What the $#@! is a "womxn", anyways?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

First American Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby First American Empire » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:48 pm

Auzkhia wrote:It's official, I am now legally my real name today. Now, I just need to updated a few things like my driver's license and insurance cards.

Congratulations!!!
The American Empire is a socially progressive absolute monarchy run by the heirs of Emperor Norton. It started off at MT but has rapidly advanced to PMT through interdimensional travel. All NSstats are used, except for tax rate and population. Factbooks are currently under reconstruction.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:45 am

Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:11 am

'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Jean-Paul Sartre
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Jean-Paul Sartre » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:27 am

Imagine being in a community full of academic feminists. That’s torture.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
-Heraclitus of Ephesus

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:19 pm

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:
Hediacrana wrote:Does not exactly sound like a great community to be part of.

Imagine being in a community full of academic feminists. That’s torture.

The feminism isn't the problem, is it, it's the bizarro super-feminism they follow, where only superior, biological females capable of having children are allowed free speech and rights or whatever bizarro non-feminist variation they follow.

It's the problem with all "feminists" and the problem with the anti-feminists.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Jean-Paul Sartre
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jean-Paul Sartre » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:20 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:Imagine being in a community full of academic feminists. That’s torture.

The feminism isn't the problem, is it, it's the bizarro super-feminism they follow, where only superior, biological females capable of having children are allowed free speech and rights or whatever bizarro non-feminist variation they follow.

Academic feminism is the problem. You'd be surprised how many TERFs are in the humanities at universities.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
-Heraclitus of Ephesus

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:25 pm

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Academic feminism is the problem. You'd be surprised how many TERFs are in the humanities at universities.

The problem is TERFs in the universities. They need to be rebutted by actual feminists, and when they step out of line and become aggressive, they need to be taken down.

Academic feminism is an incredibly broad topic, attacking the entirety of it is impossible, infeasible, and misguided.

Unless, I guess, you're also anti-equality... Which is what actual feminism is about. Are you against women having the right to vote, having the right to work, having the right to serve in the Armed Forces or the Police, etc.?

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Jean-Paul Sartre
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jean-Paul Sartre » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:29 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:Academic feminism is the problem. You'd be surprised how many TERFs are in the humanities at universities.

The problem is TERFs in the universities. They need to be rebutted by actual feminists, and when they step out of line and become aggressive, they need to be taken down.

Academic feminism is an incredibly broad topic, attacking the entirety of it is impossible, infeasible, and misguided.

Unless, I guess, you're also anti-equality... Which is what actual feminism is about. Are you against women having the right to vote, having the right to work, having the right to serve in the Armed Forces or the Police, etc.?

I am against academic feminism because it is a result of bourgeois women dictating how the ideal woman should look and act. Make no mistake about it, I am a feminist, but I refuse to engage with professors at universities who believe in feminism because it's so far outside of the experience and struggles that the average woman faces, and so ignorant of how patriarchy negatively impacts men as well (and that men are, in fact, not the devil by some inalienable essence) that it's pointless to talk about. That is why TERFs are an issue: they come from the universities, where they don't have to interact with brutal realities and nuances.
-Heraclitus of Ephesus

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:36 pm

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

I am against academic feminism because it is a result of bourgeois women dictating how the ideal woman should look and act. Make no mistake about it, I am a feminist, but I refuse to engage with professors at universities who believe in feminism because it's so far outside of the experience and struggles that the average woman faces, and so ignorant of how patriarchy negatively impacts men as well (and that men are, in fact, not the devil by some inalienable essence) that it's pointless to talk about. That is why TERFs are an issue: they come from the universities, where they don't have to interact with brutal realities and nuances.

The issue is not that academics who are feminists are necessarily incapable of understanding, but that feminist academics, which are a separate issue, are. By this, I mean that academics who are institutionalized feminists (gender studies, women's studies, etc.; basically humanities and sometimes SB science) are frequently problematic, but that there are plenty of feminist academics outside of those ranges and they do not exhibit as much of the same issue.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:43 pm

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Yeah, if you don't interact with them... You don't know what their actual positions are. There's plenty of non-TERF, non-misandrist, non-otherkin professors who do important, valuable work in universities. Shit, I was introduced to the topic of queer and "alternative" genders by a stereotypical bull dyke FtM who looked like frickin' Pat from SNL. I learned not to judge her based on xer looks or on her beliefs, but in xer actions. Sure, we giggled at xer and thought she was a little silly, but in the end, we learned several incredibly valuable lessons, among them that it's not as easy as zeroes and ones. If it was, it would be that easy. But it isn't. The human brain is a fragile, incredibly complex organ, equal parts temporal and eternal.

Not engaging them isn't the answer. Engage them, debate them, write them letters asking questions. It's how we make progress. It's what I would do... If I knew which of these professors you were referring to, because most of my professors were very down to Earth, beautiful, intelligent human beings who smashed every single stereotype I heard about universities on the Internet.

From the sweet Atheist old philosopher who was straight out of God's Not Dead if it was written by a human being and not an extraterrestrial, to the monolithic 90 year old mystic psychiatrist who studied under Masters & Johnson, to the 49 year old Invisible Children activist who sent us pictures of her exposed breasts in an art movie because she was so proud and felt attractive again after a bunch of dirty college kids told her they fapped to her, to a fucking degenerate grandma who did what no other college professor did and broke me, psychologically and spiritually, who, despite being part of the university I went to for decades, was by far the most ignorant, shitty, terrible human being I've ever met, callous, indifferent, and pathetic, and boy do I feel bad if she has grand-kids.

Colleges are incredibly diverse places and nothing is what it seems.
Last edited by The Rich Port on Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:43 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:I am against academic feminism because it is a result of bourgeois women dictating how the ideal woman should look and act. Make no mistake about it, I am a feminist, but I refuse to engage with professors at universities who believe in feminism because it's so far outside of the experience and struggles that the average woman faces, and so ignorant of how patriarchy negatively impacts men as well (and that men are, in fact, not the devil by some inalienable essence) that it's pointless to talk about. That is why TERFs are an issue: they come from the universities, where they don't have to interact with brutal realities and nuances.

The issue is not that academics who are feminists are necessarily incapable of understanding, but that feminist academics, which are a separate issue, are. By this, I mean that academics who are institutionalized feminists (gender studies, women's studies, etc.; basically humanities and sometimes SB science) are frequently problematic, but that there are plenty of feminist academics outside of those ranges and they do not exhibit as much of the same issue.

It's worst in the grievance studies to be sure, but still present otherwise. It's just not required for other fields, and thus not omnipresent.
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Jean-Paul Sartre
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jean-Paul Sartre » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:46 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:I am against academic feminism because it is a result of bourgeois women dictating how the ideal woman should look and act. Make no mistake about it, I am a feminist, but I refuse to engage with professors at universities who believe in feminism because it's so far outside of the experience and struggles that the average woman faces, and so ignorant of how patriarchy negatively impacts men as well (and that men are, in fact, not the devil by some inalienable essence) that it's pointless to talk about. That is why TERFs are an issue: they come from the universities, where they don't have to interact with brutal realities and nuances.

That's what I meant to say. Thank you for clarifying for me.
The Rich Port wrote:

Yeah, if you don't interact with them... You don't know what their actual positions are. There's plenty of non-TERF, non-misandrist, non-otherkin professors who do important, valuable work in universities. Shit, I was introduced to the topic of queer and "alternative" genders by a stereotypical bull dyke FtM who looked like frickin' Pat from SNL. I learned not to judge her based on xer looks or on her beliefs, but in xer actions. Sure, we giggled at xer and thought she was a little silly, but in the end, we learned several incredibly valuable lessons, among them that it's not as easy as zeroes and ones. If it was, it would be that easy. But it isn't. The human brain is a fragile, incredibly complex organ, equal parts temporal and eternal.

Not engaging them isn't the answer. Engage them, debate them, write them letters asking questions. It's how we make progress. It's what I would do... If I knew which of these professors you were referring to, because all of my professors were very down to Earth, beautiful, intelligent human beings who smashed every single stereotype I heard about universities on the Internet.

From the sweet Atheist old philosopher who was straight out of God's Not Dead if it was written by a human being and not an extraterrestrial, to the monolithic 90 year old mystic psychiatrist who studied under Masters & Johnson, to the 49 year old Invisible Children activist who sent us pictures of her exposed breasts in an art movie because she was so proud and felt attractive again after a bunch of dirty college kids told her they fapped to her, to a fucking degenerate grandma who did what no other college professor did and broke me, psychologically and spiritually, who, despite being part of the university I went to for decades, was by far the most ignorant, shitty, terrible human being I've ever met, callous, indifferent, and pathetic, and boy do I feel bad if she has grand-kids.

Universities on some level are diverse, but that's an artificially constructed diversity. Certainly, it's important to engage their ideas, and not all of them are bad, but many of their ideas are simply non-functional outside of that space. That is what I mean.
-Heraclitus of Ephesus

Cappuccina
Minister

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cappuccina » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:47 pm

Cekoviu wrote:

I can agree with this, more or less. Very good point.
Muslim, Female, Trans, Not white..... oppression points x4!!!!
"Latinx" isn't a real word. :^)
Automobile & Music fan!!! ^_^
Also, an everything 1980s fan!!!
Left/Right: -5.25
SocLib/Auth: 2.46

Apparently, I'm an INFP

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:49 pm

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:The issue is not that academics who are feminists are necessarily incapable of understanding, but that feminist academics, which are a separate issue, are. By this, I mean that academics who are institutionalized feminists (gender studies, women's studies, etc.; basically humanities and sometimes SB science) are frequently problematic, but that there are plenty of feminist academics outside of those ranges and they do not exhibit as much of the same issue.

That's what I meant to say. Thank you for clarifying for me.
The Rich Port wrote:

Not engaging them isn't the answer. Engage them, debate them, write them letters asking questions. It's how we make progress. It's what I would do... If I knew which of these professors you were referring to, because all of my professors were very down to Earth, beautiful, intelligent human beings who smashed every single stereotype I heard about universities on the Internet.

Universities on some level are diverse, but that's an artificially constructed diversity. Certainly, it's important to engage their ideas, and not all of them are bad, but many of their ideas are simply non-functional outside of that space. That is what I mean.

You mean like... Banning transgender people from bathrooms, treating homosexuality as a mental illness, lumping in the LGBT with pedophiles and zoophiles?

Plenty of obscene, untenable, illogical ideas are implemented in our every day lives, and in those cases, it was academics that helped reveal them as such.

Which of these ideas are you talking about?
Last edited by The Rich Port on Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:57 pm

Academia on gender issues is problematic because there's a lot of cloistered campus stuff where people have become weird intellectually inbred closed circle micro cultures that only make sense if you're part of one of the cliques, with said cliques certifying the next round of wtf through peer review.

On one hand you've got the people stuck in the struggles of the 70s and 80s who have hyper-essentialist and misandrist vibes, and on the other hedonistic queer theorists who literally try to make papers out of the most recent adverb they've added to their gender identity or how good a time they had on their latest night out, like academia is some overgrown "what I did in my holidays" primary school piece, throwing in "playful" nonsensical sentence structures and title puns based on footnotes from Foucault.

Sometimes people talking about proper topics sneak in so long as they've used a whacky methodology like exploring domestic violence through getting victims to take up throat singing and feminist slam steppe raids. It's a trip.
Last edited by Dumb Ideologies on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Are these "human rights" in the room with us right now?
★彡 Professional pessimist. Reactionary socialist and gamer liberationist. Coffee addict. Fun at parties 彡★
Freedom is when people agree with you, and the more people you can force to act like they agree the freer society is
You are the trolley problem's conductor. You could stop the train in time but you do not. Nobody knows you're part of the equation. You satisfy your bloodlust and get away with it every time

Neko-koku
Minister

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:59 pm

This kitty has a question.

What's the transwomen/ciswomen ratio of this site?
We are mutant Japanese kitty cats that have taken over a post-human world which was destroyed due to human hatred towards other humans.

Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:02 pm

Neko-koku wrote:This kitty has a question.

Many/not many.
Are these "human rights" in the room with us right now?
★彡 Professional pessimist. Reactionary socialist and gamer liberationist. Coffee addict. Fun at parties 彡★
Freedom is when people agree with you, and the more people you can force to act like they agree the freer society is
You are the trolley problem's conductor. You could stop the train in time but you do not. Nobody knows you're part of the equation. You satisfy your bloodlust and get away with it every time

Neko-koku
Minister

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:04 pm

Dumb Ideologies wrote:

Many/not many.

I think this is true for many nerdier online communities. Still..I would like to know the ratio.

I have been to communities where the TW:CW ratio is probably above 5 (and of course the former is outnumbered by CM).

Is there actually any ciswomen here at all?
Last edited by Neko-koku on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We are mutant Japanese kitty cats that have taken over a post-human world which was destroyed due to human hatred towards other humans.

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:05 pm

The Rich Port wrote:*snip*

Where tf you goin lol, all but one of my professors was very normal, and her biggest oddity as a person was that she didn't mention her veganism until the last class of the semester.
She was pretty weird as a teacher, and this is in a class that was itself weird, IIRC it was romance novels
the first of three books was the most true romance novel, Pride and Prejudice; the second was kinda a romance novel, but it gets distracted partway to the conclusion, and the third barely had any romance in it at all

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:07 pm

Dumb Ideologies wrote:

Many/not many.

which, yeah, tbf, why would women join on here exactly... really, why would anybody sign on here unless they were particularly passionate about politics... or they wanted to troll.

most people i know ignore politics out of some weird principle that they're above politics, like it's animal porn or something.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:12 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:*snip*

Where tf you goin lol, all but one of my professors was very normal, and her biggest oddity as a person was that she didn't mention her veganism until the last class of the semester.
She was pretty weird as a teacher, and this is in a class that was itself weird, IIRC it was romance novels
the first of three books was the most true romance novel, Pride and Prejudice; the second was kinda a romance novel, but it gets distracted partway to the conclusion, and the third barely had any romance in it at all

i was implying that universities aren't as liberal as many people seem to think they are, but God forbid I do that.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:19 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:Where tf you goin lol, all but one of my professors was very normal, and her biggest oddity as a person was that she didn't mention her veganism until the last class of the semester.

i was implying that universities aren't as liberal as many people seem to think they are, but God forbid I do that.

Don't get testy, I was just saying your professors were weird as fuck.

As for your actual point, eh, maybe? The students definitely lean that way where I am, not sure about the professors. Most of the ones I've had haven't said much relevant to US politics.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:30 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Don't get testy, I was just saying your professors were weird as fuck.

As for your actual point, eh, maybe? The students definitely lean that way where I am, not sure about the professors. Most of the ones I've had haven't said much relevant to US politics.

in my experience, the more senior the staff, the more likely they don't fit the wonderful mold of "bizarre" liberal types and are therefore more likely to fit the rest of the people around here... which are rural conservative types. in other words, i'm quite sure that while the teaching staff are liberal, the administration is very much conservative (which, they really weren't that bizarre. they were idealistic, sure, but not anything crazy.) indeed, my only negative experience was with a very senior administrator who ended up resigning not long after our little incident. my guess is, my complaints, and most likely the complaints made by other people she's "administrated" over the years, had something to do with that. maybe, maybe not, but it's a weird coincidence.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:51 pm

Neko-koku wrote:
Dumb Ideologies wrote:
Many/not many.

I think this is true for many nerdier online communities. Still..I would like to know the ratio.

I have been to communities where the TW:CW ratio is probably above 5 (and of course the former is outnumbered by CM).

Fahran, Luminesa, Nanatsu No-Tsuki, and Italios are all ciswomen.
Grumpy Grandpa of the LWDT and RWDT
Kantian with panentheist and Christian beliefs. Rawlsian Socialist. Just completed studies in History and International Relations. Asexual with sex-revulsion.
The world is grey, the mountains old, the forges fire is ashen cold. No harp is wrung, no hammer falls, the darkness dwells in Durin's halls...
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts
Borderline Personality Disorder, currently in treatment. I apologize if I blow up at you. TG me for info, can't discuss publicly because the mods support stigma on mental illness.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:52 pm

Neko-koku wrote:
Dumb Ideologies wrote:
Many/not many.

why do you ask, exactly?

it's not like it matters, plenty of trans women see themselves as women regardless, so they don't see the distinction between ciswomen and transwomen anyway.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General