NATION

PASSWORD

TDT 4: What the $#@! is a "womxn", anyways?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:36 am

Luminesa wrote:Well the problem with such murky waters is that it then makes treatment of this issue murkier. This kid has probably multiple issues, but I'm of the mind that if you are going to treat something, you do need to look for specific symptoms. If you don't have those symptoms written in stone, then you have problems diagnosing. This is probably part of the reason why kids get over-diagnosed with ADHD, and part of the reason why treatment for Autism Spectrum Disorder is so difficult and case-by-case. What I don't like about this article is it seems to make flowery prose out of a child's medical issues while ignoring them. I hate to sound like I'm repeating myself, but I don't know what else to say.

As someone with ADHD who was diagnosed right around the time when people started complaining about an "ADHD overdiagnosis" problem, I am very much not sympathetic to unfounded 'X is over diagnosed' bullshit. My diagnosis helped me greatly, even though several adults who thought they 'knew better' thought I was one of the 'overdiagnosed' cases.

And gender dysphoria, for what its worth, does have specific symptoms.

Luminesa wrote:
Hediacrana wrote:
Social, as Cekoviu said. Bolded for your convenience.

I did miss that, actually.

Probably because most cis people (because this is not an atypical experience) go into instant outrage mode the instant they hear about children transitioning, and their mind instantly decides to block out information contrary to their preconceived notions (i.e., cognitive dissonance) of what childhood transition entails.

Thermodolia wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:The kid specifically said they're a girl, according to the only account of the situation available. Why the fuck can't people read??

Ya and I’m not buying the idea that a four year old has any idea what they are.

The scientific evidence says they can and do.

This is the same woman who claimed that her two year old asked where the girl clothes are. I don’t buy it.

She arguably knows her kid better than you, and those of us who are trans arguably recognize the signs better than you.

Ask the kid at 10 when they have a better understanding of what a girl is and not at four where they have no fucking clue what a girl or a boy are.

Why wait? Its not like the kid is getting any medications or surgeries.

Thermodolia wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Nobody said otherwise.

I’m making sure that people don’t say otherwise.

So, you admit you're attacking a strawman.

More importantly, why is it only the cis people who are assuming the only reason anyone thinks the kid is trans is some strawman bullshit about "playing with dolls"?

So I guess that makes the mother who is Cis at fault here for automatically assuming that her kid who is most likely autistic

The fuck does that have to do with anything? Autistic people can be trans, too.

is trans for playing with dresses and girl toys?

Prove she did that.

What ever happened to let kids be kids and letting them figure everything out in their teens/young adult lives?

Trans kids are still allowed to transition and also be kids.

Though it’s pretty sad that the woman would rather have a trans kid than a kid who’s most likely autistic

That's not how this works.

Thermodolia wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:As I said, social only. Wearing clothes and a hairstyle associated with the gender with which they identify, using pronouns associated with said gender, preferred name change (a legal name change might be possible, but I'm unsure as to how common it is), being treated as their identified gender. All completely reversible.

A legal name change is going to be pretty hard to reverse when they are older. The paperwork is gonna be a bitch

Better, and far more reversible, than going through the wrong puberty.

Nakena wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Is today some sort of international "make word jumble posts on internet fora" day?

yes

I mean, when you get systematically beaten down by policies right-wingers championed, you tend not to have very much fucking respect for them. Speaking as a former right-winger.

I never pictured you as former right-winger. What kind were you? I am genuinely curious.

Imagine a typical Trump supporter today, except 10 years ago, with religious conservative influences. You'd be in the ballpark.

I mean, I wouldn't say I hate conservatives, but I do hate the ideology, because it has very little respect for me and people like me. And I have very little respect for people who sincerely believe in ideologies that seek to oppress and marginalize me. And I see no reason why I should think otherwise.

Sometimes compromise isn't possible when radical opposing worldviews collide, specifically when both demand supremacy, or one actively tries to kill the other one.

Exactly.

The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:
Grenartia wrote:Because it is, and it does. Again, I'm a former conservative. I should know.

I wouldn't say that. When you were a conservative, did you want to crush women and minorities?

I wasn't particularly aware of wanting to crush women, but minorities? Definitely.

Even if you did, your beliefs aren't representative of all conservatives.

Not from what I've seen. They often use the same rationales I did.

I can't say I've seen anything that adequately refutes that assessment.

I have. I've seen conservatives who don't fit those groups.

You've seen unicorns?

In my experience, if they're 'cool with LGBT+', then they're decidedly not cool with some other group of people. I, for one, refuse to give them a pass on suppressing ethnic and religious minorities, for instance, simply because they happen to be 'cool' with people like me. And that's assuming they don't support politicians and policymakers who aren't cool with people like me.

Which they almost invariably do, because when push comes to shove, people like the Log Cabin Republicans will support assholes like Donald Trump and Mike Pence if it means a fucking pointless border wall and brown kids in cages.

Well then don't excuse the conservatives that want to suppress minorities, only excuse the ones that don't.

I have yet to encounter one who doesn't want to suppress minorities on some level, consciously or not.

Thermodolia wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Please explain why this matters given that she's taken exclusively reversible steps.

It matters a lot because it hurts their mental health and reinforces the idea in the poor kids head that boys don’t play with girl toys.

The kid here and vegan cats have a lot in common, most specifically that neither made their own choice.

And it also matters because a child shouldn’t be forced to be trans when they have no idea what gender even is at this age. It’s a damn shame that you are supporting child abuse.

That is some blatant gaslighting bullshit if I've ever heard it.

Thermodolia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
"This can't be possible because I think kids are too stupid to think for themselves" is not sound logic.

I’m not saying that kids are too stupid to think for themselves but at a certain point in time children do not understand certain topics or what they mean.

Not really. You can definitely explain what being transgender is to a 4 year old in such a way that they can understand it, without talking about anything inappropriate for a 4 year old to hear about. Unless, of course, you think trans people are inappropriate for 4 year olds to hear about, but that would just be your transphobic biases taking over.

My little brothers played with dolls and wore dresses, according to this ladies logic

And here we get to the real reason you're so stubbornly determined to be as wrong as possible here.

and yours they should be considered trans and have had drugs injected into them yet neither of them are trans.

Again, nobody give hormones to kids under 16, and nobody even gives blockers to kids who haven't started puberty yet. Transition before puberty is *purely* social in nature, as it should be.

Maybe we should stop forcing stereotypes on people

Because that's all being transgender is to you, isn't it? Just a bunch of people following outdated gender stereotypes. Your transphobia is showing.

Thermodolia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:Besides, painting acceptance of trans kids as child abuse is pretty textbook concern trolling.

I’m not trolling, concern or otherwise, just because I have an opinion that you don’t agree with doesn’t make it trolling.

Just because we have an opinion that you don’t agree with doesn’t make it child abuse.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:37 am

Ifreann wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:I’m not saying that kids are too stupid to think for themselves but at a certain point in time children do not understand certain topics or what they mean. My little brothers played with dolls and wore dresses, according to this ladies logic and yours they should be considered trans and have had drugs injected into them yet neither of them are trans.

Is that how you think it works? Trans people are just shot full of drugs once they're known to be trans?

Like, most people go with pills anyways. I'm utterly terrified of needles. But still, I wish someone would give me free HRT. I'll take that over free edible weed candy on Halloween.

That's the joke, Therm, that your idea is so fucking stupid that its on par with pot dealers giving out weed for free.

Thermodolia wrote:Also it’s completely fine and ok to call out parts of your own movements. There’s nothing wrong with it. It’s how we figure out ourselves and move away from being a mindless drone. Which for the record I do not think that you or anyone else in this thread is a mindless drone.

Obviously, you do, or you wouldn't have said it.

Galloism wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
So you're advocating for child abuse then?

Huh, I never thought I’d see the day where Vassenor suggests that allowing a kid to explore their gender identity is child abuse.

Therm is unironically saying that, Vass was simply referencing that.

Vassenor wrote:
Fahran wrote:Giving puberty blockers to children can have quite a few deleterious effects, including bone mineralization and infertility. Really, I would steer clear of describing any child under the age of fourteen as trans in absolute terms given the high frequency of desistance. The safer presumption is that they're cis and experimenting with their gender or simply cis and taking an interest in activities and behaviors often associated with the opposite gender - because that's usually the case. Most kids who identify as trans-gender seem to grow out of it by the time they reach late adolescence - somehwere between 54% and 63%. We could also just decline from labeling the gendered behavior and identities of children under fourteen in absolute terms. If a child attains the age of fourteen, identifies as the opposite gender (or anything other than their assigned gender), and is not subthreshold, then you can still give them puberty blockers and begin the process of transitioning without much difficulty in most cases.

Source.

So where does your source talk about the physical effects?

Its also interesting to note that all presently-known figures regarding 'desistance' fail to account for societal pressures. I.E., nobody knows how many minors that were diagnosed with gender dysphoria and "desisted" have simply pretended it went away due to negative social pressures from family, peers, or other adults (such as teachers and school administrators), instead of their GD actually going away.

Auzkhia wrote:Tbh, the best solution with the whole thing on "transing kids" is to just simply stop assigning gender at birth. Is it a boy or a girl? Who cares? It's your child, love and support them no matter what body or identity they have.

This is a utopian pipe dream, but can't a tran dream? Especially when this would solve more problems than it would create?

More importantly, stop 'cissing' kids.

Luminesa wrote:
Auzkhia wrote:Tbh, the best solution with the whole thing on "transing kids" is to just simply stop assigning gender at birth. Is it a boy or a girl? Who cares? It's your child, love and support them no matter what body or identity they have.

This is a utopian pipe dream, but can't a tran dream? Especially when this would solve more problems than it would create?

...The child is assigned a sex because it is required for legal documentation. Who cares? The government.

Why is sex required for legal documentation?

The parents who have to care for either a boy or a girl.

As we have established, gender is not dependent on sex. But even if that were the case, why does it fucking matter to parents whether or not they have a boy 'or' a girl? They should love and care for their child the same way, regardless.

Their pediatricians who have expert knowledge on child development.

Other than some vague and weird abnormalities tied to the sex chromosomes, I can't imagine many medical contexts where a kid's sex is necessary to know.

Their teachers. Any legal representatives of the children.

See the thing I said about the parents.

Real-life isn’t just some weird Sims simulator where it really doesn’t matter what you do, since in the end your random Sim is gonna wind-up on fire in the backyard for no reason.

Good thing nobody said that, then. I hate to burst your bubble, Lumi, but the only remotely solid ground you have to stand on is that maybe, once in a blue moon, a doctor needs to know what their patient's chromosomal sex is in order to provide accurate diagnosis and treatment. But that does not require cissing a kid from birth onwards.

Fahran wrote:
Vassenor wrote:And for the record, the closest statistic I can find for "desistance" is maybe more like 45%.

Steensma, T D, Biemond, R, de Boer, F and Cohen-Kettenis P T (2011) Desisting and persisting gender dysphoria after childhood: A qualitative follow-up study in Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry Vol 16(4) pp. 499-516

The source I shared actually analyzed that study in placing the rate at 54%, I believe. In any case, we can't really dismiss either trans identity in children or the occurrence of desistance altogether. We ought to consider both in making these decisions.

I'd like to reiterate that I have not seen any figures about desistance that accurately reflect the fact that there are social pressures that motivate it in ways that are indistinguishable from the patient actually and honestly realizing they don't have dysphoria.

Fahran wrote:
Auzkhia wrote:As far we know, but still, the lives of people like me probably would have been better if they could have been raised their real gender, and not the ones they were wrongly assigned at birth.

Perhaps. And I'm truly sorry if your life has been hard. I don't imagine being trans or existing outside of the gender binary is anything other than difficult, especially as an adolescent, given how much social pressure, judgement, emotional turmoil, and self-reflection that often accompanies it. I'm hopeful at least that raising awareness and making room can help people like live happier, more fulfilling lives. My main misgiving about shredding gender assignments altogether is that it might well create social issues as well - and for a much larger swathe of the population. Ideally, we can help everyone without hurting anyone.

For what its worth, I appreicate that this is your motivation.

Giovenith wrote:I don't know if anyone posted this already, but it belongs here. It's a video breaking down a study that's been used by various outlets to "prove" that kids are becoming trans as a trend, and why it's stupidly flawed and wrong.

Oh, look someone smashed "Rapid Onset Gender Dysphoria" to bits. Again. :p

Still, thanks, Gio.

Tarsonis wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Because trans kids will be on the medication longer then those who have precocious puberty. Some medicines have different effects the longer they are taken, or the effects that are currently seen become exacerbated. The fact is, hormone blockers have not been approved for use in trans kids, so using it is off-label use.

When considering that there is limited data on the side effects of long time use, (most of what we do know being not good) and coupled with the fact that most Gender Dysphoric Children desist by late adolescence, I dare say it’s medical malpractice.

https://www.acpeds.org/the-college-spea ... n-children

>american "college" of pediatricians

Automatically dismissed for inherently biased source.

Tarsonis wrote:Of course, and anyone whose against those clearly can’t be trusted. Remember kids, unless you support liberal causes, you’re unreliable.

More like, if you're anti-abortion, anti-marriage equality, and anti-transgender, then anything you say on those subjects should be taken with a massive grain of salt.

Tarsonis wrote:
Torrocca wrote:
O shit

It should be fixed now :V

Let’s see SPLC and PFLAG being the main critics. Color me shocked

Genuine question: what's wrong with SPLC and PFLAG? Other than the fact that they think LGBT+ rights are a good thing?

Tarsonis wrote:
True Refuge wrote:
It's difficult to assess the studies in a timely manner without an attached summary of the critical parts from you, especially when one is a PhD graduate's 341 page long dissertation.

Nevertheless, as far as I can tell, the studies you've linked match the common thought and practice in the field. The studies I've discussed above suggest that people who maintain gender dysphoric symptoms into puberty are very likely to continue experiencing gender dysphoria into adulthood. Most if not all psychologists and other relevant experts are aware that its common for gender dysphoria to desist after initial stages of puberty, which is why there is stringent diagnosis and follow-up procedures when prescribing puberty blockers for delaying puberty in trans individuals (which generally occurs during or after the initial stages of puberty to allow for non-persistent gender dysphoria to desist before beginning the use of blockers or shortly after starting them).

It doesn't really mean much in terms of opposing the use of puberty blockers in young adolescents. Indeed, the studies I've discussed above suggest that cross-sex hormonal therapy should begin earlier to avoid extended use of puberty blockers (and so avoid most of the side effects, or so suggests those studies).

And the purpose citing the study, is that the studies show roughly 85% of gender dysphoric children will desist by the end of adolescence and in the early stages of puberty. With such a staggering desist rate, hormonal and puberty blockers therapy shouldn’t be used at all

Gren, a few minutes ago wrote:Its also interesting to note that all presently-known figures regarding 'desistance' fail to account for societal pressures. I.E., nobody knows how many minors that were diagnosed with gender dysphoria and "desisted" have simply pretended it went away due to negative social pressures from family, peers, or other adults (such as teachers and school administrators), instead of their GD actually going away.

I swear, I'm gonna have to go back and make a compliation of stuff like this.

Luminesa wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
Um, there very much was.

Now, was her employer fully within their rights to fire her?

Of course. They have a right to control who works for them and to accept everybody's money, maybe even in support of tolerance of all views.

At the same time, they were serving a bigot, and not accepting that... Well, it would place them firmly against moral grounds, particularly on taking money over morals.

I’m actually kinda on the fence regarding this particular incident, after some further consideration. The problem is that unless a person is being actively violent and is directly harassing a person, you can’t really throw them out. You have to serve them. Now if they start saying like the n-word or they start pointing and laughing at two people at the bar, and it’s disruptive, then yeah, management would have a reason to throw them out.

Its important to note that the couple were essentially harrassing the trans woman in question. Not directly to her face, but going around asking other people to join in mocking and laughing at her is still harrassment.

But management has to serve people no matter what their beliefs are. If the business only gave food to people who agreed with them, they probably would have less customers and it wouldn’t really be practical. Food is food. The waitress was free to walk, if she didn’t like the views of the people she was serving, but in that case management had a right to fire her, as walking out of work without punching-out or without proper documentation generally calls for automatic termination.

The issue is that those of us who work with the public are really not given the freedom to push back against shit like this. Its either stay silent and do nothing, or get fired. I hear people say some really racist shit at my job, but we're not supposed to 'talk politics' with others while wearing our work uniforms, even if we're off the clock. And a lot of times, it seems like certain jackasses know this and simply want to say bigoted bullshit they believe and get some rando in public to agree with them.

Cappuccina wrote:As tasteless as their comments were, they weren't actually disruptive.

The customers were harassing a transgender woman, a regular customer, no less.

The waitress should grow thicker skin and should've carried on doing her job.

The couple should've been kicked out for harassing another customer.

Fahran wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:Remind me, what is the company she was working for?

She's not working for that company anymore so I don't see why it matters overly much. I find fault neither in her refusing to service customers when it went against her morals nor her employer in firing her for refusing to do her job and abide by their likely mission statement.

Well, here's the obvious implication. There's a lot of 'religious freedom' lawsuits about religious people refusing to serve LGBT+ people at their jobs. If they can sue for wrongful termination because they don't want to violate their sincerely-held beliefs, why can't we and our allies do the same?

If someone can refuse to bake a gay wedding cake and not get fired for it, why can't I refuse to get food for openly transphobic jackasses and not get fired?

Hediacrana wrote:Danica Roem just became the first trans person to be re-elected to a state legislature in the US! :bow:

Danica Roem has made history again.

The first out transgender person to serve in a state legislature, having been elected to the Virginia House of Delegates in 2017, Democrat Roem Tuesday became the first one to win reelection to a state lawmaking body. In addition to her victory, four other LGBTQ candidates, all Democrats, were reelected to the Virginia legislature — three in the House of Delegates, one in the Senate — helping to flip both chambers to Democratic control. This gives the party a trifecta in Virginia state government, as the state already has a Democratic governor, who did not have to run for reelection this year, and makes it likely that Virginia will finally enact an LGBTQ-inclusive nondiscrimination law.

Here I am, stuck in the deep red hell of Louisiana, wishing that could've happened with us.

Impaled Nazarene wrote:Slowly starting to roll out new name and pronouns and wow, there's far less people that I am comfortable sharing said things with than I expected.

I feel that one. Hopefully gonna finally come out to the rest of my family on Thanksgiving.

Hediacrana wrote:
Auzkhia wrote:Maybe, not really? I remember people saying this exact stuff specifically about gay and queer people, they used Christian language, argumentum ad Biblia, saying God made you a certain way, and of course my favorite line "love the sinner, hate the sin". This is the same rhetoric but they replaced the word gay with trans.

Yup. And in many cases, continue to say it about gay people too - even though social conservatives at large seems to have moved on to trans and non-binary people as their favorite scapegoat. René Girard could have a field day with this.

Anyhow, as we're back to the good old 'being a Christian equals being anti-LGBTQ' bullshit (despite a ton of LGBTQ-affirming denominations and congregations and despite the fact that queer theology has been around for decades), it feels like a fine day for posting an alternative take again. This one is from Desmond Tutu in 2013:

Archbishop Desmond Tutu says God demands he speak out for LGBT rights.

The 81-year-old anti-apartheid champion has also welcomed the new Pope and his softer line on gay people.

He made the comments in an interview ahead of Butler University and neighboring Christian Theological Seminary in Indianapolis, USA naming a new center for him.

Tutu said: ‘Anywhere where the humanity of people is undermined, anywhere where people are left in the dust, there we will find our cause. Sometimes you wish you could keep quiet.

‘It’s the kind of thing you heard the prophet Jeremiah complain of where he says, “You know God, I didn’t want to be a prophet and you made me speak words of condemnation against a people I love deeply. Your word is like a fire burning in my breast.”

‘It isn’t that it’s questionable when you speak up for the right of people with different sexual orientation. People took some part of us and used it to discriminate against us. In our case, it was our ethnicity; it’s precisely the same thing for sexual orientation. People are killed because they’re gay.

‘I don’t think, “What do I want to do today? I want to speak up on gay rights.” No. It’s God catching me by my neck. I wish I could keep quiet about the plight of the Palestinians. I can’t!’

The interviewer from the Religion News Service went on to ask what he thought of Pope Francis and his recent comment on gay people ‘Who am I to judge?’

Tutu said: ‘He’s a tremendous breath of fresh air. The things he has done in a short period of time: the fact that he does not live in a huge papal mansion and just dropped by in the dining room where ordinary people have meals.

‘I’ve got to say to you that I’m so, so thrilled that he is there at this crucial moment in the history of our world.’

Nobel Peace Prize winner Tutu has repeatedly argued for LGBT rights, making headlines by likening Uganda’s ‘Kill the Gays’ Bill to apartheid.

Earlier this year he backed a United Nations gay rights campaign saying: ‘I am as passionate about this [United Nations] campaign as I ever was about apartheid. For me, it is at the same level.’

And he added: ‘I would not worship a God who is homophobic and that is how deeply I feel about this.

‘I would refuse to go to a homophobic heaven. I would much rather go to the other place.'

God bless Archbishop Tutu.

Nakena wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Could you maybe split it into multiple posts? The massive posts are hard to quote.

Multi-vector-post-attack

r/UnexpectedVoyagerReference
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:49 am

Grenartia wrote:Here I am, stuck in the deep red hell of Louisiana, wishing that could've happened with us.

:(
Grenartia wrote:God bless Archbishop Tutu.

Yeah, I just love that guy's moral compass.

Grenartia wrote:Hopefully gonna finally come out to the rest of my family on Thanksgiving.

Hope all goes well - I'll hold you in my prayers.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:16 pm

Hediacrana wrote:
Grenartia wrote:Here I am, stuck in the deep red hell of Louisiana, wishing that could've happened with us.

:(
Grenartia wrote:God bless Archbishop Tutu.

Yeah, I just love that guy's moral compass.

Grenartia wrote:Hopefully gonna finally come out to the rest of my family on Thanksgiving.

Hope all goes well - I'll hold you in my prayers.

Thank you. I very much appreciate it.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:19 pm

I have a question regarding gender non-conforming people (or rather when someone is genderqueer): what’s the best way to help them when they seek help?
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Fahran
Forum Moderator

Founded: Nov 13, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Fahran » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:22 pm

With regard to statistics on desistance, we're a touch limited on the samples we can acquire and the controls we can implement because any and all studies involve human subjects, often children and adolescents. The insinuation from at least a few of the articles I read is that social pressure wasn't necessarily the principal influence on desistance since the subjects of these studies often had affirming parents and were in contact with medical professionals prior to desisting. It's likely that these were subthreshold individuals who were always going to desist as they matured, especially after the onset of puberty. This is reflected in the fact that desistance seems to plumet when you control for subthreshhold patients.

With regard to the waitress who was fired for refusing to serve a transphobe, the specifics of the case are distinct and nuanced enough that any comparison to religious businesses refusing to provide artisanal services or refusing to provide particular health benefits to employees are apples and oranges comparisons. I imagine a waitress who refused to serve a gay couple and then walked out would still have been fired since the issue here isn't that the business itself was necessarily supportive of transphobia but rather that an employee didn't do their job and then left without permission while on the clock.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:54 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I have a question regarding gender non-conforming people (or rather when someone is genderqueer): what’s the best way to help them when they seek help?

Ask them what help they need, and if possible, give it to them.

Fahran wrote:With regard to statistics on desistance, we're a touch limited on the samples we can acquire and the controls we can implement because any and all studies involve human subjects, often children and adolescents. The insinuation from at least a few of the articles I read is that social pressure wasn't necessarily the principal influence on desistance since the subjects of these studies often had affirming parents and were in contact with medical professionals prior to desisting. It's likely that these were subthreshold individuals who were always going to desist as they matured, especially after the onset of puberty. This is reflected in the fact that desistance seems to plumet when you control for subthreshhold patients.

It isn't simply having accepting parents and doctors that's a factor. Its the social environment as a whole. I.E., other family members, teachers, classmates, school administrators, etc. Even the general social attitude regarding transgender people as a whole is at play here.

With regard to the waitress who was fired for refusing to serve a transphobe, the specifics of the case are distinct and nuanced enough that any comparison to religious businesses refusing to provide artisanal services or refusing to provide particular health benefits to employees are apples and oranges comparisons. I imagine a waitress who refused to serve a gay couple and then walked out would still have been fired since the issue here isn't that the business itself was necessarily supportive of transphobia but rather that an employee didn't do their job and then left without permission while on the clock.

As I recall, she was told by the manager on duty to go home after she requested someone else serve the transphobes.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:58 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I have a question regarding gender non-conforming people (or rather when someone is genderqueer): what’s the best way to help them when they seek help?

Fahran wrote:With regard to statistics on desistance, we're a touch limited on the samples we can acquire and the controls we can implement because any and all studies involve human subjects, often children and adolescents. The insinuation from at least a few of the articles I read is that social pressure wasn't necessarily the principal influence on desistance since the subjects of these studies often had affirming parents and were in contact with medical professionals prior to desisting. It's likely that these were subthreshold individuals who were always going to desist as they matured, especially after the onset of puberty. This is reflected in the fact that desistance seems to plumet when you control for subthreshhold patients.

It isn't simply having accepting parents and doctors that's a factor. Its the social environment as a whole. I.E., other family members, teachers, classmates, school administrators, etc. Even the general social attitude regarding transgender people as a whole is at play here.

As I recall, she was told by the manager on duty to go home after she requested someone else serve the transphobes.

Ok, but what are some of the typical things a genderqueer person needs help with? What’s the best way to validate their identity?
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:24 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Ok, but what are some of the typical things a genderqueer person needs help with? What’s the best way to validate their identity?

Varies by case. You'll have to ask the person you're wanting to help.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:05 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Ok, but what are some of the typical things a genderqueer person needs help with? What’s the best way to validate their identity?

One of the things that has helped me most, and that I believe to be helpful in general, is meeting and seeing others like me - preferably offline. It helps to know one isn't the only one facing these issues. In absence of that, reassurance from a not-genderqueer person that there are others facing similar issues is helpful too.
Last edited by Hediacrana on Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:06 pm

What exactly is their problem?

Depressed, anxious, dysphoric, family issues?

Bulimia, anorexia... all of the above.

Believe it or not, I've met people who have all of those and more.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:17 pm

Well I guess since I’m very clearly pro-life (or anti-abortion), my words should be taken with a grain of salt BUUUUUUT I’ll talk anyway.

Well, in the case of the people asking others to join-in on harassing the people at the bar, this probably should have been the manager’s job to step in and to ask what the problem was. I think a lot of this case was that yes, the waitress was upset, but the manager and the waitress did not communicate to each other very well. She had every right to leave (and to be terminated), but if the manager could have maybe quelled some of the drama then it might not have had to go that far. I dunno.

If gender and sex are two different things, then sex cannot be thrown out the window in favor of sex. Both make-up a person. Also sex is required for legal documentation beyond birth, because being of a certain biological sex may determine things which can arise later in life. Diseases that are gene-recessive, diseases that affect men more than women, signing up for possible military duties (I believe men are still required to sign-up for possible military duties when they turn 18). Now the last one is more of a social issue that is possibly up for change, as girls demand to be allowed to sign-up at 18, but the other two carry along with a person their entire life, unless they somehow change that.

Parents should love their kids no matter what their sex is, of course. But doctors still have to label them based on their biological sex as much as they have to label their eye color, hair color, and blood type. Technically you can change two of those very easily (though eye-color changes are apparently painful), but your biological sex is the same unless otherwise stated, and your blood type never changes.

As far as studies go, however, it’s probably rather hard to determine in a solid way, as you stated, how many people stopped claiming to have GID or GD out of pressure or out of a genuine change. It would be very hard to make an unbiased question, I think, or to make solid parameters to get people to give a wholehearted answer, because you simply cannot read minds. You can read medical history and you can follow a paper-trail of symptoms, but if I ask a group of teenagers who were leaning trans, “Have you stopped feeling as though you are struggling with gender dysphoria?” It’s a close-ended (and maybe vague) question, but people won’t always answer honestly. That’s why the numbers Tars stayed, and Fahran, and Nana (in a study she sent me) have to be approached with some degree of error. Not necessarily a large one, but we have to take the numbers and use them somehow.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:22 pm

Luminesa wrote:Well I guess since I’m very clearly pro-life (or anti-abortion), my words should be taken with a grain of salt BUUUUUUT I’ll talk anyway.

[...]

...wait, how does that have anything to do with the rest of the post?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:23 pm

The Rich Port wrote:

What exactly is their problem?

Depressed, anxious, dysphoric, family issues?

Bulimia, anorexia... all of the above.

Believe it or not, I've met people who have all of those and more.

Oh, no. I haven’t encountered anyone but I don’t know if you know, I help at a transgender help line and I’m just seeking information here among other sources for the eventuality that a genderqueer person calls for help. I’d like to have an info base on possible ways for me to proceed with said help.

Hediacrana wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Ok, but what are some of the typical things a genderqueer person needs help with? What’s the best way to validate their identity?

One of the things that has helped me most, and that I believe to be helpful in general, is meeting and seeing others like me - preferably offline. It helps to know one isn't the only one facing these issues. In absence of that, reassurance from a not-genderqueer person that there are others facing similar issues is helpful too.

So you’d say validation of their identity is a good starting point? Silly question, Nana. Of course it is. Thanks for your take, Hedri. :)
Slava Ukraini

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:36 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Well I guess since I’m very clearly pro-life (or anti-abortion), my words should be taken with a grain of salt BUUUUUUT I’ll talk anyway.

[...]

...wait, how does that have anything to do with the rest of the post?

Grenartia said that anyone who was anti-abortion should have their words taken with a grain of salt. I wouldn't have made the comment otherwise, since uhhhh they’ve been responding to me when my sig has ‘pro-life’ in red letters.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:51 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Well the problem with such murky waters is that it then makes treatment of this issue murkier. This kid has probably multiple issues, but I'm of the mind that if you are going to treat something, you do need to look for specific symptoms. If you don't have those symptoms written in stone, then you have problems diagnosing. This is probably part of the reason why kids get over-diagnosed with ADHD, and part of the reason why treatment for Autism Spectrum Disorder is so difficult and case-by-case. What I don't like about this article is it seems to make flowery prose out of a child's medical issues while ignoring them. I hate to sound like I'm repeating myself, but I don't know what else to say.

As someone with ADHD who was diagnosed right around the time when people started complaining about an "ADHD overdiagnosis" problem, I am very much not sympathetic to unfounded 'X is over diagnosed' bullshit. My diagnosis helped me greatly, even though several adults who thought they 'knew better' thought I was one of the 'overdiagnosed' cases.

And gender dysphoria, for what its worth, does have specific symptoms.

Luminesa wrote:I did miss that, actually.

Probably because most cis people (because this is not an atypical experience) go into instant outrage mode the instant they hear about children transitioning, and their mind instantly decides to block out information contrary to their preconceived notions (i.e., cognitive dissonance) of what childhood transition entails.

Thermodolia wrote:Ya and I’m not buying the idea that a four year old has any idea what they are.

The scientific evidence says they can and do.

This is the same woman who claimed that her two year old asked where the girl clothes are. I don’t buy it.

She arguably knows her kid better than you, and those of us who are trans arguably recognize the signs better than you.

Ask the kid at 10 when they have a better understanding of what a girl is and not at four where they have no fucking clue what a girl or a boy are.

Why wait? Its not like the kid is getting any medications or surgeries.

Thermodolia wrote:I’m making sure that people don’t say otherwise.

So, you admit you're attacking a strawman.

So I guess that makes the mother who is Cis at fault here for automatically assuming that her kid who is most likely autistic

The fuck does that have to do with anything? Autistic people can be trans, too.

is trans for playing with dresses and girl toys?

Prove she did that.

What ever happened to let kids be kids and letting them figure everything out in their teens/young adult lives?

Trans kids are still allowed to transition and also be kids.

Though it’s pretty sad that the woman would rather have a trans kid than a kid who’s most likely autistic

That's not how this works.

Thermodolia wrote:A legal name change is going to be pretty hard to reverse when they are older. The paperwork is gonna be a bitch

Better, and far more reversible, than going through the wrong puberty.

Nakena wrote:
yes

I never pictured you as former right-winger. What kind were you? I am genuinely curious.

Imagine a typical Trump supporter today, except 10 years ago, with religious conservative influences. You'd be in the ballpark.

Sometimes compromise isn't possible when radical opposing worldviews collide, specifically when both demand supremacy, or one actively tries to kill the other one.

Exactly.

The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:I wouldn't say that. When you were a conservative, did you want to crush women and minorities?

I wasn't particularly aware of wanting to crush women, but minorities? Definitely.

Even if you did, your beliefs aren't representative of all conservatives.

Not from what I've seen. They often use the same rationales I did.

I have. I've seen conservatives who don't fit those groups.

You've seen unicorns?

Well then don't excuse the conservatives that want to suppress minorities, only excuse the ones that don't.

I have yet to encounter one who doesn't want to suppress minorities on some level, consciously or not.

Thermodolia wrote:It matters a lot because it hurts their mental health and reinforces the idea in the poor kids head that boys don’t play with girl toys.

The kid here and vegan cats have a lot in common, most specifically that neither made their own choice.

And it also matters because a child shouldn’t be forced to be trans when they have no idea what gender even is at this age. It’s a damn shame that you are supporting child abuse.

That is some blatant gaslighting bullshit if I've ever heard it.

Thermodolia wrote:I’m not saying that kids are too stupid to think for themselves but at a certain point in time children do not understand certain topics or what they mean.

Not really. You can definitely explain what being transgender is to a 4 year old in such a way that they can understand it, without talking about anything inappropriate for a 4 year old to hear about. Unless, of course, you think trans people are inappropriate for 4 year olds to hear about, but that would just be your transphobic biases taking over.

My little brothers played with dolls and wore dresses, according to this ladies logic

And here we get to the real reason you're so stubbornly determined to be as wrong as possible here.

and yours they should be considered trans and have had drugs injected into them yet neither of them are trans.

Again, nobody give hormones to kids under 16, and nobody even gives blockers to kids who haven't started puberty yet. Transition before puberty is *purely* social in nature, as it should be.

Because that's all being transgender is to you, isn't it? Just a bunch of people following outdated gender stereotypes. Your transphobia is showing.

Thermodolia wrote:I’m not trolling, concern or otherwise, just because I have an opinion that you don’t agree with doesn’t make it trolling.

Just because we have an opinion that you don’t agree with doesn’t make it child abuse.

You know...and this is just a thought...you’re not required to respond to every single line if you think it’s all “bull****”. Also, there is definitely a problem with over-diagnosing certain conditions, though this is more dependent on the demographics of the individuals. African-American children get over-diagnosed with intellectual disorders, for example. I’m glad you got the help you needed, but the problem does exist outside of you. This is why research into such conditions is ongoing.

As for the part I missed...I genuinely did not miss it out of any sort of aimed malice. I think I skimmed too fast and missed it. It happens.

Honestly, the topic of gender with tiny children comes up so casually and inconsistently, that it usually does not require any sort of serious intervention to talk about the topic. I imagine you can break down almost any subject for a small child, but they also have to be willing to listen. Part of teaching isn’t just explaining material well, it’s also understanding each individual child where they are. At the same time, it’s also gauging how much the children will be interested in the topic. If even 8th graders can be immature about penis jokes, you can probably imagine how much listening a typical 4-year-old would do. From my experience, tiny children are mostly concerned about playing and loving their families.

On a slight tangent, given that Therm has experience with the topic of child abuse, I don’t think it’s fair to say he is making his remarks out of thin air or out of some sort of concern-trolling. I think it’s only fair to try and understand his place instead of trying to throw him out for not “being enough of an ally”.
-Alan Jackson

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:54 pm

Luminesa wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:...wait, how does that have anything to do with the rest of the post?

Grenartia said that anyone who was anti-abortion should have their words taken with a grain of salt. I wouldn't have made the comment otherwise, since uhhhh they’ve been responding to me when my sig has ‘pro-life’ in red letters.

Yeah you probably should have put that quote in, as what you were referring to was not clear at all.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:14 pm

Luminesa wrote:On a slight tangent, given that Therm has experience with the topic of child abuse, I don’t think it’s fair to say he is making his remarks out of thin air or out of some sort of concern-trolling. I think it’s only fair to try and understand his place instead of trying to throw him out for not “being enough of an ally”.

Given what I've seen, I don't see that as very likely, or even possible, tbh.
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Lost Memories
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost Memories » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:34 pm

Wanted to share this piece of an article, and get some points of view from this thread regulars:
Walt Heyer was 42 when he began taking female hormones and underwent sex-change surgery, including genital reconfiguration and breast implants. His doctors told him it was the only solution to his gender distress.

The now 77-year-old detailed his transition from a man to a woman, then back to a man eight years later.
Heyer said his gender confusion started when he was a young boy.
"I started my transgender journey as a 4-year-old boy when my grandmother repeatedly, over several years, cross-dressed me in a full-length purple dress she made especially for me and told me how pretty I was as a girl," he wrote. "This planted the seed of gender confusion and led to my transitioning at age 42 to transgender female."
When Heyer's parents learned what his grandmother had done, he was no longer permitted to visit her unsupervised.

"I thought my secret was safe, but my teenage uncle heard about it and felt I was fair game for taunting and sexual abuse. I wasn't even 10 years old. If not for the purple dress, I believe I would not have been abused by my uncle," Heyer wrote.

The abuse led him to no longer wanting to be a boy. He started cross-dressing as a means of escape.
In his 20s, he married a woman and they had two children. He was successful at work but Heyer continued cross-dressing on his business trips away from home.

"By the time I was 40, I couldn't take the pressure of living two separate lives. I felt torn apart, wanting to be a good husband and father, but in severe torment about needing to be a woman," he wrote.

After Heyer's marriage ended, he followed the recommendations given to him and transitioned to a woman.

"At first, I was giddy with excitement," he wrote. "It seemed like a fresh start. I could sever ties with my former life as Walt and my painful past. But reality soon hit. My children and former wife were devastated. When I told my employer, my career was over."

He began living as a woman named Laura Jensen but he was still confused and "deeply suicidal." He couldn't understand why the hormones and surgery hadn't worked.
"Hidden underneath the makeup and female clothing was the little boy hurt by childhood trauma," Heyer wrote. "I was once again experiencing gender dysphoria, but this time I felt like a male inside a body refashioned to look like a woman."

He finally sought help for the abuse he had suffered as a child. His breast implants were removed when he was 50 and he continued his therapy.
"In 1996, at the age of 55, I was finally free from the desire to live as a woman and changed my legal documents back to Walt, my biologically correct male sex," he explained in his column.

Heyer believes that he wouldn't have suffered as he did if he had not been "misled by media stories of sex change 'success' and by medical practitioners who said transitioning was the answer to my problems."

"I wouldn't have suffered as I have. Genetics can't be changed," he said. "Feelings, however, can and do change. Underlying issues often drive the desire to escape one's life into another, and they need to be addressed before taking the radical step of transition."
Some studies have shown that many of those diagnosed with gender dysphoria have at least one other psychiatric disorder.
OBJECTIVES: Cooccurring psychiatric disorders influence the outcome and prognosis of gender dysphoria. The aim of this study is to assess psychiatric comorbidities in a group of patients.
METHODS: Eighty-three patients requesting sex reassignment surgery (SRS) were recruited and assessed through the Persian Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Axis I disorders (SCID-I).
RESULTS: Fifty-seven (62.7%) patients had at least one psychiatric comorbidity. Major depressive disorder (33.7%), specific phobia (20.5%), and adjustment disorder (15.7%) were the three most prevalent disorders.
CONCLUSION: Consistent with most earlier researches, the majority of patients with gender dysphoria had psychiatric Axis I comorbidity.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/former-tr ... sex-change
(^conservative biased source)

Source aside, how would you classify a case like the above? Assuming just hypothetically it was all true, if you absolutely can't come to trust the source.
Would the above be a rare occurrence? Something common? The usual occurrence?

What about the need to check for underlying issues and traumas at the root of gender dysphoria, to address and resolve them if they are found?
And only if the gender dysphoria persists after the found issues are solved or they're absent, continue on with a physical approach to it?
Is the above reasoning, expressed in the article, something accepted? Questioned? Debated? Ignored?
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/222881/

hmag

pagan american empireLiberalism is a LieWhat is Hell

"The whole is something else than the sum of its parts" -Kurt Koffka

A fox tried to reach some grapes hanging high on the vine, but was unable to.
As he went away, the fox remarked 'Oh, you aren't even ripe yet!'
As such are people who speak disparagingly of things that they cannot attain.
-The Fox and the Grapes

"Dictionaries don't decide what words mean. Prescriptivism is the ultimate form of elitism." -United Muscovite Nations
or subtle illiteracy, or lazy sidetracking. Just fucking follow the context. And ask when in doubt.

Not-asimov

We're all a bit stupid and ignorant, just be humble about it.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:58 pm

Lost Memories wrote:
OBJECTIVES: Cooccurring psychiatric disorders influence the outcome and prognosis of gender dysphoria. The aim of this study is to assess psychiatric comorbidities in a group of patients.
METHODS: Eighty-three patients requesting sex reassignment surgery (SRS) were recruited and assessed through the Persian Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Axis I disorders (SCID-I).
RESULTS: Fifty-seven (62.7%) patients had at least one psychiatric comorbidity. Major depressive disorder (33.7%), specific phobia (20.5%), and adjustment disorder (15.7%) were the three most prevalent disorders.
CONCLUSION: Consistent with most earlier researches, the majority of patients with gender dysphoria had psychiatric Axis I comorbidity.

This study doesn't really justify much, and the reasons are explained fairly well within it:
Meybodi et al. wrote:The current prevalence of psychiatric disorders was not assessed in our study, and this is one of our research limitations. Employing severity rating scales besides SCID-I would be more appropriate. This study also faced other limitations. We did not evaluate comorbidity with personality disorders in the subjects. Patients in our research might be imperfect samples of all GID patients. In Iran, GID patients are referred to the Tehran Institute of Psychiatry when they request a new official identification or sex reassignment surgery (SRS). Consequently, the sample in our study can be considered a sample of patients whose have more psychiatric problems or more intense conflict with their perceived identity.

Another thing: this particular study is done with the express goal of collecting data for Iran and they collected only from native speakers of Persian. The cultural and political contexts inherent in this mean that it cannot be generalized to a wider group of people with gender dysphoria. Although there are indeed studies that show a broader picture of psychiatric comorbidities, this is not one of them. In the case of some, like depression and substance abuse, they are probably a result of gender dysphoria and transitioning rather than the cause. My understanding is that bipolar disorder or a genetic predisposition to it is commonly associated with gender dysphoria, but whether bipolar disorder is actually a cause or merely a concurrent condition (with the two originating in a similar manner, presumably) remains unclear.
Source aside, how would you classify a case like the above? Assuming just hypothetically it was all true, if you absolutely can't come to trust the source.

Rare. Evidence points to gender dysphoria as being innate and not learned. Cases of conditions misdiagnosed as gender dysphoria at that age are probably more rare than in children, though I'm guessing diagnoses are also less frequent at that age because people will have figured it out before then or they're deeply closeted.
What about the need to check for underlying issues and traumas at the root of gender dysphoria, to address and resolve them if they are found?

I haven't seen scientific evidence that trauma can cause a misdiagnosis of gender dysphoria (reasonably plausible) or that somehow resolving it will eliminate the dysphoria (much less likely).
And only if the gender dysphoria persists after the found issues are solved or they're absent, continue on with a physical approach to it?

If evidence exists that gender dysphoria can be a result of or misdiagnosed trauma, yes. At the moment, the current approach seems largely appropriate to me.
Is the above reasoning, expressed in the article, something accepted? Questioned? Debated? Ignored?

All of the above, depending on the group.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:04 pm

Lost Memories wrote:Wanted to share this piece of an article, and get some points of view from this thread regulars:
Walt Heyer was 42 when he began taking female hormones and underwent sex-change surgery, including genital reconfiguration and breast implants. His doctors told him it was the only solution to his gender distress.

The now 77-year-old detailed his transition from a man to a woman, then back to a man eight years later.
"I started my transgender journey as a 4-year-old boy when my grandmother repeatedly, over several years, cross-dressed me in a full-length purple dress she made especially for me and told me how pretty I was as a girl," he wrote. "This planted the seed of gender confusion and led to my transitioning at age 42 to transgender female."
When Heyer's parents learned what his grandmother had done, he was no longer permitted to visit her unsupervised.

"I thought my secret was safe, but my teenage uncle heard about it and felt I was fair game for taunting and sexual abuse. I wasn't even 10 years old. If not for the purple dress, I believe I would not have been abused by my uncle," Heyer wrote.

The abuse led him to no longer wanting to be a boy. He started cross-dressing as a means of escape.
In his 20s, he married a woman and they had two children. He was successful at work but Heyer continued cross-dressing on his business trips away from home.

"By the time I was 40, I couldn't take the pressure of living two separate lives. I felt torn apart, wanting to be a good husband and father, but in severe torment about needing to be a woman," he wrote.

After Heyer's marriage ended, he followed the recommendations given to him and transitioned to a woman.

"At first, I was giddy with excitement," he wrote. "It seemed like a fresh start. I could sever ties with my former life as Walt and my painful past. But reality soon hit. My children and former wife were devastated. When I told my employer, my career was over."

He began living as a woman named Laura Jensen but he was still confused and "deeply suicidal." He couldn't understand why the hormones and surgery hadn't worked.
"Hidden underneath the makeup and female clothing was the little boy hurt by childhood trauma," Heyer wrote. "I was once again experiencing gender dysphoria, but this time I felt like a male inside a body refashioned to look like a woman."

He finally sought help for the abuse he had suffered as a child. His breast implants were removed when he was 50 and he continued his therapy.
"In 1996, at the age of 55, I was finally free from the desire to live as a woman and changed my legal documents back to Walt, my biologically correct male sex," he explained in his column.

Heyer believes that he wouldn't have suffered as he did if he had not been "misled by media stories of sex change 'success' and by medical practitioners who said transitioning was the answer to my problems."

"I wouldn't have suffered as I have. Genetics can't be changed," he said. "Feelings, however, can and do change. Underlying issues often drive the desire to escape one's life into another, and they need to be addressed before taking the radical step of transition."
Some studies have shown that many of those diagnosed with gender dysphoria have at least one other psychiatric disorder.

More evidence that transitioning isn’t going to solve anything.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:06 pm

Thermodolia wrote:More evidence that transitioning isn’t going to solve anything.

What a thoughtful and analytical approach.

True Refuge
Senator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby True Refuge » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:06 pm

Lost Memories wrote:Wanted to share this piece of an article, and get some points of view from this thread regulars:

What his grandmother did to him was child abuse, plain and simple. Manipulation of a child’s gender identity, whether the child is cis or trans, is not okay.

It’s difficult to give a further opinion on it without knowing what led the doctors to ignore his background traumas, because they really should have picked up on it. Could even label ignoring those factors as medical malpractice if they did ignore them.

The effects of childhood trauma are complex and numerous, and it’s hard to know the answer to your questions without knowledge of psychiatry.

It is also an example of the discrimination and societal pressures people face after coming out as trans and/or transitioning, the effects of which complicates things even more.
COMMUNIST
"If we have food, he will eat. If we have air, he will breathe. If we have fuel, he will fly." - Becky Chambers, Record of a Spaceborn Few
"One does not need to be surprised then, when 26 years later the outrageous slogan is repeated, which we Marxists burned all bridges with: to “pick up” the banner of the bourgeoisie. - International Communist Party, Dialogue with Stalin.

ML, anarchism, co-operativism (known incorrectly as "Market Socialism"), Proudhonism, radical liberalism, utopianism, social democracy, national capitalism, Maoism, etc. are not communist tendencies. Read a book already.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:07 pm

Thermodolia wrote:More evidence that transitioning isn’t going to solve anything.

I wouldn't have pegged you as being against it.

Wave on, wave on

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:10 pm

The New California Republic wrote:

I wouldn't have pegged you as being against it.

Really? I think he's made it very clear that he's not an ally to trans people in the slightest.

also you said pegged and you're lgbt, ecks dee

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General