NATION

PASSWORD

TDT 4: What the $#@! is a "womxn", anyways?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:23 am

The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:Blaire White isn't a garbage human being.

I know she might look like transition goals, and hell, you might even be gay for her. But she is far from a good person.

Neutraligon wrote:I am hoping we can get some good studies on those not in the binary soon, but that might take a bit given how low that population is, and the fact that we don't tend to have many tests on mtf let alone ftm individuals.

A shame on all counts.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Saciu
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 28, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Saciu » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:27 am

Grenartia wrote:
Saciu wrote:You 100% need dysphoria. No dysphoria, no trans. If you're not dysphoric, there's no reason to be trans other than "uwu snowflake" and oppression points. If you transition without gender dysphoria, you are committing a life destroying form of self-harm.

False, but what else is to be expected from someone who calls herself the t-slur? Stop hating yourself and you'll stop hating others, fam.

Saciu wrote:1) It's a joke.
2) How is this TERFism. Transmeds tend to hate TERFs much more than they dislike tucutes. Did you mean truscum ideology? I'm very happy to address that.

Truscum = transmed. And 95% of the time, at least as far as I've seen, they'll sell out the rest of us if it means they get treated less like shit by TERFs.

Saciu wrote:A non-dysphoric person who medically transitions will suddenly experience immense body dysphoria.

Sure, I'll accept that is a possibility. However, as long as the person gives informed consent, is it anyone's business? Also, how likely is someone to medically transition if they don't have dysphoria? That's just a waste of their time, money and effort.

They may well be unable to return to their previous life wherein they were their birth sex. Read up about detransitioners. Their existence is undeniable, and I'm sure as hell that we'll see a slew of them in the near future.

TERFs say the exact same shit. Doesn't mean either of you are right.

There are people who want to be LGBT, non-white etc in order to feel oppressed and thereby fit in with the stereotypical "liberal university student". I know this because I used to be one of them.

Congratulations, you were one of a tiny few individuals. Doesn't mean the rest of us are at all like that.

I used to think it would be really cool to be LGBT. Then I realised that I'm trans, and I wish nothing more than not to be. Sadly, I can't because that's not how gender dysphoria works. You can also research transtrenders, of which there are many.

lolwat.

Necroghastia wrote:Or they would experience gender euphoria, or remain experiencing nothing at all.

The plural of anecdote is not data. And that sounds like a you problem, tbh. I'm trans and proud of it. Yeah, dysphoria sucks, living in a place where it would be vastly easier to be a cishet person sucks, but... nothing I can do about that right now, so why let it get me down that I'm a trans lesbian in the first place?

Honestly? Same.

From everything I've seen, "transtrenders" is mostly just a derogatory way to refer to NB people.

Mostly? It always is.

Saciu wrote:If you have gender euphoria as one gender, you'll have gender dysphoria as the other.

I mean, if they're trans in the first place, they're not going to have gender euphoria.

Only NB people, whose existence I doubt,

Doubt my existence however much you like, I'll still be just as real as you.

would be fine as both genders - if they do exist, they are only a very small part of the population.

Your point on my anecdotal evidence: You should have said "few people", not "no one" in your original comment.

There's no reason to be proud of being trans.

Only someone who hates who they are would say that. We've come too damn far to subscribe to that fatalism. I am unapologetically trans, and you should absolutely feel the same.

There's a reason to be proud of overcoming dysphoria, though.
It would always be better not to be trans. Trans will always have dysphoria and time+money consuming surgeries. Being heterosexual makes reproduction easier than being gay, while bi could go either way. Plus, heterosexual sex is simpler. If you're fine with being a trans lesbian, good for you, but it has many disadvantages, and it's hard not to see how it would get you down.

Your self-loathing doesn't describe me, and I'm sure it doesn't describe most of the rest of the thread, and you shouldn't pretend like it does.

Yes, some of the more hardcore transmedicalists refer to some NB people as trenders. I think some people who say they're trans aren't, most of whom are people pretending to be trans but presenting entirely as their birth sex and being completely comfortable that way. What transtrender actually means is, quite simply, one who pretends to be transgender because they see it as trendy.

And its a bullshit narrative, just like the "transgender bathroom rapist".

Saciu wrote:That's fair. Somewhat graphic content described below
The main form of heterosexual sex is PIV sex. This includes a rather large hole inside which the shaft can easily fit, and natural lubricant. Both heterosexual sex and male homosexual sex offer anal and oral. Homosexual male sex's exclusive activities tend to be uninteresting and unexciting for the two men, or painful. From this, it's fair to say that heterosexuality gives more convenient sex. Female homosexual sex presents oral as a main possibility, but for anal or vaginal, extra apparatus is required. It does have more exclusive types of sex than its male counterparts, but it is more complicated than heterosexual sex. I'd say that it's fair to say that both types of homosexual sex are mechanically inferior to heterosexual sex. It does change when a third party is added, although I'm not referring to that here.

Mechanical differences =/= inferiority. Reproduction = irrelevant.

Geeze, you've really swallowed the self-loathing koolaid.

Nakena wrote:What are yer thoughts on TERFism?

Irrelevant fringe ideology or actual danger?

Dangerous fringe ideology.

Cekoviu wrote:Veering wildly off subject here, but why does it seem like so many trans people online are anarcho-communists? I haven't seen that trend in real life, but I've seen it across a wide variety of web fora.

I don't know about ancoms specifically, but 95% of the trans people I know IRL are in the lower left political compass quadrant.

Probably something to do with being trans and being fucked over by both conservatism and capitalism especially blatantly tends to make one dislike both.

Saciu wrote:If one truly has gender dysphoria, one will not regret SRS.

Implying its not possible to be 'truly trans' and be comfortable with your own genitals.

Cekoviu wrote:Not everyone has genital dysphoria, and SRS has some side effects that might be undesirable to some. Additionally, phalloplasty hasn't been perfected and it doesn't always work out great for trans men.

"BUT TRANSTRENDERS!"

Necroghastia wrote:Also yeah let's be real transmedicalism is essentially just rebranded terfism. "You're not actually trans, you're just pretending to be for oppression points/because it's trendy" is only a few steps removed from "you're not actually a woman, you just have a fetish."

And it belongs in the garbage.

Saciu wrote:That's far from the truth. Truscum wouldn't say "You're not actually trans, you're just pretending to be for oppression points/because it's trendy" to every trans person". They'd say it to those who clearly aren't trans.

"Those who clearly aren't trans" to transmeds might as well be every trans person that thinks transmed is bullshit.

Transmedicalist aren't the demons you think.

You lot presume to speak for all of us without even trying to include all of us, and explicitly exclude and mock myself and other NB people. We have very good and valid reasons for not thinking very highly of you.

Moreover, haven't you seen the array of tucutes saying that truscum aren't really trans?

Nope.

It's by no means a majority, that I concede, but they do exist nonetheless. Isn't that the same number of steps from "you're not actually a woman, you just have a fetish."?

You know, in order for an attempted false equivalence fallacy to have a chance at working, you can't say it doesn't apply the majority of the time.

Paleoconservative Citizens wrote:Why do you need so many months to celebrate being LGBTQ+? For God's sake your sexuality is more like a religion than a preference.

Someone clearly doesn't get the joke.

Saciu wrote:And is wrath a virtue we really want to espouse? Shouldn't we be trying to communicate with the homophobes, transphobes etc and get them to be kinder towards us? Furthermore, a wrath month actually could infringe on the rights of those with certain religious beliefs.

Vassenor wrote:
The difference being no one expects veterans to disappear out of society after Veteran's Day.

Lets be honest, society at large in America basically fellates veterans and puts the idea of them on a pedestal so high it might as well count as worshipping them. Whether or not its a bad thing, I leave it up to the reader to decide.

Trans people get nowhere near that level of respect, and arguably, get quite the opposite.

Auzkhia wrote:Transmisogyny plays a part in it, mind you.

It was Blaire White, btw, against twitter user @princess_stef69. Blaire deleted her post, so the evidence is gone.

Of course it was Blaire fucking White. What a garbage human being.

Threlizdun wrote:Transmedicalism is just repackaged transphobia directed against those existing on the margins of our community. It attacks those who often cannot afford to transition, critiques other trans people's appearances to a point of creating even more dysphoria and discomfort, pushes out people experimenting with and questioning their gender identity (forgetting nearly all of us did this at at least one point), and completely deligimitizes non-binary identities and anything beyond the most conventional and assimilationist gender expressions. It's bullshit that thrusts unnecessary toxicity into our community, alienates us from one another, and makes us complicit in our own oppression.

Honestly, I really pity transmedicalists. Is dysphoria really all their trans identities mean to them? Is all the wonder and magic of being trans simply not exist for them? No gender euphoria or celebration of building identities for ourselves rather than for others? It's like just throwing away the history, culture, and passion our community has built in the name of just going back to the days where we were just seen as disordered freaks that needed to be fixed. It's such a defeatist attitude that negates all the beauty our community has produced, and I can't for the life of me understand how anyone would want to embrace such a depressing mindset other than an inability to move beyond their own internalized transphobia.

Transmedicalism is just Uncle Tom-ism for the trans community.

Vassenor wrote:So we're back to parroting TERF-ist gatekeeping rhetoric?

I very much regret this thread got filled with bullshit while I was asleep and at work.

Necroghastia wrote:Y'know, I'm loathe to actually call transmedicalism that, seeing as it has nothing to do with actual medical science.

I mean, same, but the alternative term for it would probably get me banned.

Tranny isn't a slur for everyone. It's the same as queer - in fact, debatably, queer should be more offensive, as the word "queer" originally meant strange.
Just talk to transmeds. Seriously. It'll really change your opinion on them. They're not all horrible. Honestly, the only downside I have with them is that sometimes they treat me a bit worse because I doubt NB's existence. Also, I don't know any transmeds that hate tucutes more than TERFs. I certainly hate TERFs, while I range from showing apathy to dislike towards tucutes.
I'm not saying that they shouldn't be able to do what they want with their body. I'd just prefer it if less people suffered needless pain.
Just because TERFs say it, it's not necessarily wrong.
I'm not saying that you're all trenders. I'm just saying that they do exist.
I'm not saying that you're not real. You are almost certainly real. You're as real as anyone else on this thread (I won't get into solipsism here). I'm just saying that I don't think Non-Binary is a gender. I think that there's only male and female, and it's fine if you disagree.
I'm unapologetically trans too. Why wouldn't I be. It's not an accomplishment, though, so there's no reason to be proud of it. And no, I don't hate myself. I hate the fact that I have a crippling mental condition.
Could you explain how you manage to avoid intense pain caused by gender dysphoria and the worry of the numerous surgeries you'll have and high amount of discrimination you'll face.
There are no transgender bathroom rapists. There are transtrenders. It's not hard to find detransitioners, every single one of whom was once a transtrender who then regretted their decision to transition.
I did mis-speak about some of the SRS. It's true that dysphoria works differently for different people.
Not. All. Transmeds. Just as I'm aware that none of you believes in shit like autismgender.
"Transmedicalism is just Uncle Tom-ism for the trans community." AKA "Everything I don't like is racism"

Try to be more tolerant. Referring to transmeds as garbage? Not OK. I'm not referring to tucutes as garbage or anything on that level.
C'est Saciu, previously The South Pacific's most influential trans person (then my account got zucc'd)
Pro: idk. trans rights ig.Internationalism, liberalism, etc
Neutral: idk.
Anti: idk. Nationalism, populism etc about 90% of my opinions have changed since i was last here but now im basically globohomo

Political compass: 0.75, -8.31 lmao this was years ago im easily lib left according to when i last took it but also the compass is terrible
SC/EN-Saciu
FR/ES-Saquiu
PT/CA-Sáquio
IT-Sacchio
DE/SV/NL/PL/SW-Sakiu
AR-ساكيو
HI-साकिउ
RU-Сакиу
JA-さきう
EL-Σάκιο
BN-সাকিউ
ZH-撒库
TR: Sakyı

Saciu
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Saciu » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:28 am

The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
False, but what else is to be expected from someone who calls herself the t-slur? Stop hating yourself and you'll stop hating others, fam.

Truscum = transmed. And 95% of the time, at least as far as I've seen, they'll sell out the rest of us if it means they get treated less like shit by TERFs.

Sure, I'll accept that is a possibility. However, as long as the person gives informed consent, is it anyone's business? Also, how likely is someone to medically transition if they don't have dysphoria? That's just a waste of their time, money and effort.

TERFs say the exact same shit. Doesn't mean either of you are right.

Congratulations, you were one of a tiny few individuals. Doesn't mean the rest of us are at all like that.

lolwat.

Honestly? Same.

Mostly? It always is.

I mean, if they're trans in the first place, they're not going to have gender euphoria.

Doubt my existence however much you like, I'll still be just as real as you.

Only someone who hates who they are would say that. We've come too damn far to subscribe to that fatalism. I am unapologetically trans, and you should absolutely feel the same.

Your self-loathing doesn't describe me, and I'm sure it doesn't describe most of the rest of the thread, and you shouldn't pretend like it does.

And its a bullshit narrative, just like the "transgender bathroom rapist".

Mechanical differences =/= inferiority. Reproduction = irrelevant.

Geeze, you've really swallowed the self-loathing koolaid.

Dangerous fringe ideology.

I don't know about ancoms specifically, but 95% of the trans people I know IRL are in the lower left political compass quadrant.

Probably something to do with being trans and being fucked over by both conservatism and capitalism especially blatantly tends to make one dislike both.

Implying its not possible to be 'truly trans' and be comfortable with your own genitals.

"BUT TRANSTRENDERS!"

And it belongs in the garbage.

"Those who clearly aren't trans" to transmeds might as well be every trans person that thinks transmed is bullshit.

You lot presume to speak for all of us without even trying to include all of us, and explicitly exclude and mock myself and other NB people. We have very good and valid reasons for not thinking very highly of you.

Nope.

You know, in order for an attempted false equivalence fallacy to have a chance at working, you can't say it doesn't apply the majority of the time.

Someone clearly doesn't get the joke.

Lets be honest, society at large in America basically fellates veterans and puts the idea of them on a pedestal so high it might as well count as worshipping them. Whether or not its a bad thing, I leave it up to the reader to decide.

Trans people get nowhere near that level of respect, and arguably, get quite the opposite.

Of course it was Blaire fucking White. What a garbage human being.

Transmedicalism is just Uncle Tom-ism for the trans community.

I very much regret this thread got filled with bullshit while I was asleep and at work.

I mean, same, but the alternative term for it would probably get me banned.

Blaire White isn't a garbage human being.

This
C'est Saciu, previously The South Pacific's most influential trans person (then my account got zucc'd)
Anti: idk. Nationalism, populism etc about 90% of my opinions have changed since i was last here but now im basically globohomo

Political compass: 0.75, -8.31 lmao this was years ago im easily lib left according to when i last took it but also the compass is terrible
SC/EN-Saciu
FR/ES-Saquiu
PT/CA-Sáquio
IT-Sacchio
DE/SV/NL/PL/SW-Sakiu
AR-ساكيو
HI-साकिउ
RU-Сакиу
JA-さきう
EL-Σάκιο
BN-সাকিউ
ZH-撒库

Saciu
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Saciu » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:29 am

Neutraligon wrote:I am hoping we can get some good studies on those not in the binary soon, but that might take a bit given how low that population is, and the fact that we don't tend to have many tests on mtf let alone ftm individuals.

This too! Those studies would really help me make up my mind on NB people.

SC/EN-Saciu
FR/ES-Saquiu
PT/CA-Sáquio
IT-Sacchio
DE/SV/NL/PL/SW-Sakiu
AR-ساكيو
HI-साकिउ
RU-Сакиу
JA-さきう
EL-Σάκιο
BN-সাকিউ
ZH-撒库

Saciu
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Saciu » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:30 am

Necroghastia wrote:
Saciu wrote:What about saying that autismgender is a thing? Is that science? I didn't say that believing that there are two genders is scientific, though that is what I believe. I said that saying that there are millions of genders is unscientific.

It really explains a lot about your views if you take 4chan trolls seriously.

Not 4chan. A serious SJW. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbk9n4k8LD0 this person.

SC/EN-Saciu
FR/ES-Saquiu
PT/CA-Sáquio
IT-Sacchio
DE/SV/NL/PL/SW-Sakiu
AR-ساكيو
HI-साकिउ
RU-Сакиу
JA-さきう
EL-Σάκιο
BN-সাকিউ
ZH-撒库

Saciu
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Saciu » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:30 am

Also, in this thread, please remember to take this advice: be nice, be respectful.

SC/EN-Saciu
FR/ES-Saquiu
PT/CA-Sáquio
IT-Sacchio
DE/SV/NL/PL/SW-Sakiu
AR-ساكيو
HI-साकिउ
RU-Сакиу
JA-さきう
EL-Σάκιο
BN-সাকিউ
ZH-撒库

Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:37 am

Dumb Ideologies wrote:There's as wide a spectrum of types and intensities of transphobic attitudes in the feminist movement as in wider society. It's not solely a radical feminist issue, and "the TERF" is more of a caricature to be ritually booed and hissed at to win woke points than it is a true representation of a coherent group with a shared set of beliefs setting them outside of an otherwise utopian inclusive movement.

TERF is little more than a snarl word and, like other words of the type, it subtracts from real understanding by distorting the discourse, making it easier for people to see a very specific and already very egregious form of transphobia and harder to see anything outside of that discursive paradigm.

Bin it and use the much less loaded term "transphobic feminist" to describe feminists who are transphobic.

It's true that TERF is often used as a snarl word. It's also often misused, and applied to people who are not evidently feminists or sometimes people who are not even evidently transphobic (see: the people in this thread calling transmeds TERFs).

However, TERFs aren't really that disparate in their ideology. Most TERFs are on the more radical side, there are very few libfem TERFs (maybe cuz there's very few libfems in general these days, but I digress). Many TERFs seem to call themselves "gender critical feminists" which seems to me to be almost exclusively radfem type rhetorical tendency. Perhaps we should call them "Gender Critical Feminists" or "GCFs" or something.

I think we're talking past each other a bit here. Let me put it another way.

There is certainly a group of people who make social media and "controversial speaker" careers specifically out of being unpleasant towards trans people.

They often use radical feminist language, though there is a bit of a "gender theory horseshoe". There's basically two flavours of argument from so-called TERFs. It's either "you're a threat to women" or "you're deluded/you've been duped by modern gender ideology".

The first part borrows more clearly from radical feminism with its focus on harmful male sexuality and supposedly inherent predisposition to violence towards women. But on the latter you'll see some claim to be only concerned for free speech and poor confused duped trans people. From a deconstructionist point of view, they'll often use cod-Foucauldian arguments to argue that trans people were invented in the 20th century by psychiatrists and we must stop the spread of such ideology. If prodded they'll say all they want is to deliver "feminist" psychiatry that makes people accept their bodies, helps them to understand how "transgenderism" hurts them and wider society and so on.

This isn't even necessarily dishonest appropriation on their part. There's overlaps here between Janice Raymond, a founding figure in transphobic feminism, talking about patriarchal authorities constructing fake women to undermine the feminist movement and "penetrate female spaces", and those using Foucault's history of sexuality to argue that transgender people and the desire for transition/surgery was created by medicalised narratives popularised by psychiatrists to create a regime of social control. Yes the use of the softer language and "we're trying to help you"-isms can sometimes be tactical as this is more socially acceptable than spewing outright abuse, but there's definitely some cross-pollination; "radical feminism" clearly isn't the only source of their arguments.

As an aside bear in mind that Foucault is also the source for modern "queer theory" - see previous posts I've made about the dangers of gender deconstructionist theory; you might have a fabulous max utopian commitment to helping everyone be as happy as possible and therefore enable and fund everything, but given that most people don't think utopian abundance is possible "gender no is real" theories are mostly just an ideological gift to the people who want to fuck transitioners over or save some money.

Notwithstanding all of this, the people who like the posts from this crew on social media, or speak casually of concerns about transwomen in refuges or women's prisons etc etc obviously aren't all radical feminists and usually aren't explicitly transphobic. As with the attitudes of the rest of society it's often low level unconscious biases snd if we explictly define the day-glo caricature of the TERF as the only transphobic feminist through our terminology then people can just handwave it away with "I'm not a radical feminist".

It seems like a phrase that gets in the way and makes conversations more difficult. Different groups are influenced by radical feminism to different extents and there are differing shades of "exclusionary language" amongst transphobic feminists, some of whom don't even realise they're transphobic. If you just plonk the word "TERF" on all of that you're creating confusion and distorting the conversation, which means you don't get through to people as well.
Last edited by Dumb Ideologies on Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:54 am

Saciu wrote:Also, in this thread, please remember to take this advice: be nice, be respectful.

Says the person being the least respectful of anyone here.

And on the Blaire White Thing: Apparently we're supposed to pretend that this didn't happen.
Last edited by Vassenor on Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Saciu
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Saciu » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:07 am

Vassenor wrote:
Saciu wrote:Also, in this thread, please remember to take this advice: be nice, be respectful.

Says the person being the least respectful of anyone here.

And on the Blaire White Thing: Apparently we're supposed to pretend that this didn't happen.

Ok, that's not really giving much context (but then again, I don't use Twitter, so it might be my inexperience making it hard for me to find stuff on it.)
In what way am I being disrespectful? Is it just because I'm a transmed? Or is it because I'm calling other people's beliefs garbage?
Last edited by Saciu on Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

SC/EN-Saciu
FR/ES-Saquiu
PT/CA-Sáquio
IT-Sacchio
DE/SV/NL/PL/SW-Sakiu
AR-ساكيو
HI-साकिउ
RU-Сакиу
JA-さきう
EL-Σάκιο
BN-সাকিউ
ZH-撒库

The Xenopolis Confederation
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 11, 2017
Anarchy

Postby The Xenopolis Confederation » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:05 am

Grenartia wrote:I know she might look like transition goals, and hell, you might even be gay for her. But she is far from a good person.

I don't know a huge amount about her, but from what I know, I don't think she has any genuine hate in her heart. She was pretty iffy towards transbians iirc, but she's changed her positions since then. I know she can be bigoted towards NBs, but I don't think it comes from a place of hate. She just needs to learn, not to be called a garbage human.
Pro: Liberty, Liberalism, Capitalism, Secularism, Equal opportunity, Democracy, Windows Chauvinism, Deontology, Progressive Rock, LGBT+ Rights, Live and let live tbh.
Against: Authoritarianism, Traditionalism, State Socialism, Laissez-Faire Capitalism, Autocracy, (A)Theocracy, Apple, "The ends justify the means," Collectivism in all its forms.
Nationality: Australian
Political Ideology: If "milktoast liberalism" had a baby with "bleeding-heart libertarianism."
Discord: mellotronyellow

Saciu
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Saciu » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:09 am

Grenartia wrote:I know she might look like transition goals, and hell, you might even be gay for her. But she is far from a good person.

I don't know a huge amount about her, but from what I know, I don't think she has any genuine hate in her heart. She was pretty iffy towards transbians iirc, but she's changed her positions since then. I know she can be bigoted towards NBs, but I don't think it comes from a place of hate. She just needs to learn, not to be called a garbage human.

It's funny how people forget that people can change. I've been an avid follower of hers for months. She regularly apologises for bad things she's said and done, or explained them where necessary. The transmed community is now becoming much more open to NB people.

SC/EN-Saciu
FR/ES-Saquiu
PT/CA-Sáquio
IT-Sacchio
DE/SV/NL/PL/SW-Sakiu
AR-ساكيو
HI-साकिउ
RU-Сакиу
JA-さきう
EL-Σάκιο
BN-সাকিউ
ZH-撒库

Powerbroker

Anarchy

Postby The Xenopolis Confederation » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:18 am

Dumb Ideologies wrote:
The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:It's true that TERF is often used as a snarl word. It's also often misused, and applied to people who are not evidently feminists or sometimes people who are not even evidently transphobic (see: the people in this thread calling transmeds TERFs).

However, TERFs aren't really that disparate in their ideology. Most TERFs are on the more radical side, there are very few libfem TERFs (maybe cuz there's very few libfems in general these days, but I digress). Many TERFs seem to call themselves "gender critical feminists" which seems to me to be almost exclusively radfem type rhetorical tendency. Perhaps we should call them "Gender Critical Feminists" or "GCFs" or something.

I think we're talking past each other a bit here. Let me put it another way.

There is certainly a group of people who make social media and "controversial speaker" careers specifically out of being unpleasant towards trans people.

They often use radical feminist language, though there is a bit of a "gender theory horseshoe". There's basically two flavours of argument from so-called TERFs. It's either "you're a threat to women" or "you're deluded/you've been duped by modern gender ideology".

The first part borrows more clearly from radical feminism with its focus on harmful male sexuality and supposedly inherent predisposition to violence towards women. But on the latter you'll see some claim to be only concerned for free speech and poor confused duped trans people. From a deconstructionist point of view, they'll often use cod-Foucauldian arguments to argue that trans people were invented in the 20th century by psychiatrists and we must stop the spread of such ideology. If prodded they'll say all they want is to deliver "feminist" psychiatry that makes people accept their bodies, helps them to understand how "transgenderism" hurts them and wider society and so on.

This isn't even necessarily dishonest appropriation on their part. There's overlaps here between Janice Raymond, a founding figure in transphobic feminism, talking about patriarchal authorities constructing fake women to undermine the feminist movement and "penetrate female spaces", and those using Foucault's history of sexuality to argue that transgender people and the desire for transition/surgery was created by medicalised narratives popularised by psychiatrists to create a regime of social control. Yes the use of the softer language and "we're trying to help you"-isms can sometimes be tactical as this is more socially acceptable than spewing outright abuse, but there's definitely some cross-pollination; "radical feminism" clearly isn't the only source of their arguments.

As an aside bear in mind that Foucault is also the source for modern "queer theory" - see previous posts I've made about the dangers of gender deconstructionist theory; you might have a fabulous max utopian commitment to helping everyone be as happy as possible and therefore enable and fund everything, but given that most people don't think utopian abundance is possible its mostly just an ideological gift to the people who want to fuck transitioners over or save some money.

Notwithstanding all of this, the people who like the posts from this crew on social media, or speak casually of concerns about transwomen in refuges or women's prisons etc etc obviously aren't all radical feminists and usually aren't explicitly transphobic. As with the attitudes of the rest of society it's often low level unconscious biases snd if we explictly define the day-glo caricature of the TERF as the only transphobic feminist through our terminology then people can just handwave it away with "I'm not a radical feminist".

It seems like a phrase that gets in the way and makes conversations more difficult. Different groups are influenced by radical feminism to different extents and there are differing shades of "exclusionary language" amongst transphobic feminists, some of whom don't even realise they're transphobic. If you just plonk the word "TERF" on all of that you're creating confusion and distorting the conversation, which means you don't get through to people as well.

I agree, labelling anyone who uses "you're a danger to women" or "silly gender ideology" rhetoric as a TERF is extremely inaccurate, and ruins the term. When I think of TERFs, I think of places like r/gendercritical, where most of those people seem to be radfems or something similar. Maybe it would be cleaner just to call those types of "TERFs," "GCFeminists" and call the other type of "TERFs," plain and simple transphobes.
Pro: Liberty, Liberalism, Capitalism, Secularism, Equal opportunity, Democracy, Windows Chauvinism, Deontology, Progressive Rock, LGBT+ Rights, Live and let live tbh.
Against: Authoritarianism, Traditionalism, State Socialism, Laissez-Faire Capitalism, Autocracy, (A)Theocracy, Apple, "The ends justify the means," Collectivism in all its forms.
Political Ideology: If "milktoast liberalism" had a baby with "bleeding-heart libertarianism."

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:25 am

Dumb Ideologies wrote:This isn't even necessarily dishonest appropriation on their part. There's overlaps here between Janice Raymond, a founding figure in transphobic feminism, talking about patriarchal authorities constructing fake women to undermine the feminist movement and "penetrate female spaces", and those using Foucault's history of sexuality to argue that transgender people and the desire for transition/surgery was created by medicalised narratives popularised by psychiatrists to create a regime of social control. Yes the use of the softer language and "we're trying to help you"-isms can sometimes be tactical as this is more socially acceptable than spewing outright abuse, but there's definitely some cross-pollination; "radical feminism" clearly isn't the only source of their arguments.

Thats a kinda hot take.

Attack of the Penetrators: In order to destroy feminism the evil patriarchy has created and engineering us to invade, infiltrate and penetrate, so to speak, female spaces from within. What an evil genius master plan!

But it ignores the fact that some of us are rather on the receiving end which in turn makes us take the female role. But hey we're the better females anyways. Or... maybe not?

Honestly though the more I read about this, the more I am inclined to believe that this is just all silly nonsense.
Last edited by Nakena on Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:08 am

>no hate

>calls someone a sexual predator for disagreeing with them and gets their followers to brigade them

:thonking:
Last edited by Vassenor on Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Saciu
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Saciu » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:10 am

Vassenor wrote:
The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:I don't know a huge amount about her, but from what I know, I don't think she has any genuine hate in her heart. She was pretty iffy towards transbians iirc, but she's changed her positions since then. I know she can be bigoted towards NBs, but I don't think it comes from a place of hate. She just needs to learn, not to be called a garbage human.

>no hate

>calls someone a sexual predator for disagreeing with them and gets their followers to brigade them

If you provided more evidence, it would (obviously) be a better case. We don't know the context. For all we know, the person accused by Blaire could have said that she likes touching little boys. We don't know.

SC/EN-Saciu
FR/ES-Saquiu
PT/CA-Sáquio
IT-Sacchio
DE/SV/NL/PL/SW-Sakiu
AR-ساكيو
HI-साकिउ
RU-Сакиу
JA-さきう
EL-Σάκιο
BN-সাকিউ
ZH-撒库

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:12 am

Saciu wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

>no hate

If you provided more evidence, it would (obviously) be a better case. We don't know the context. For all we know, the person accused by Blaire could have said that she likes touching little boys. We don't know.

So what evidence did Blaire provide to support the accusations?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Powerbroker

Anarchy

Postby The Xenopolis Confederation » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:16 am

Vassenor wrote:
The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:I don't know a huge amount about her, but from what I know, I don't think she has any genuine hate in her heart. She was pretty iffy towards transbians iirc, but she's changed her positions since then. I know she can be bigoted towards NBs, but I don't think it comes from a place of hate. She just needs to learn, not to be called a garbage human.

>no hate

I'm going to need some context for that, I don't know the drama there.

Saciu
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Saciu » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:45 am

Vassenor wrote:
Saciu wrote:If you provided more evidence, it would (obviously) be a better case. We don't know the context. For all we know, the person accused by Blaire could have said that she likes touching little boys. We don't know.

I can't find any sources of Blaire referring to the dispute.

Based on the silence regarding the matter, I assume you've dropped the case that I'm the most offensive person here.

SC/EN-Saciu
FR/ES-Saquiu
PT/CA-Sáquio
IT-Sacchio
DE/SV/NL/PL/SW-Sakiu
AR-ساكيو
HI-साकिउ
RU-Сакиу
JA-さきう
EL-Σάκιο
BN-সাকিউ
ZH-撒库

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:48 am

Saciu wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

I can't find any sources of Blaire referring to the dispute.

Based on the silence regarding the matter, I assume you've dropped the case that I'm the most offensive person here.

Sorry, the Chewbacca defence doesn't work in real life.

Nor does trying to nuke all traces of you calling a child sexual abuse survivor a paedophile because they disagreed with you. Because the internet does not forget.
Last edited by Vassenor on Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Saciu
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Saciu » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:53 am

Vassenor wrote:
Saciu wrote:I can't find any sources of Blaire referring to the dispute.

Sorry, the Chewbacca defence doesn't work in real life.

Nor does trying to nuke all traces of you calling a child sexual abuse survivor a paedophile because they disagreed with you. Because the internet does not forget.

There could be other reasons that they were deleted. Is there are solid way to determine who deleted them? We still don't have much context.

SC/EN-Saciu
FR/ES-Saquiu
PT/CA-Sáquio
IT-Sacchio
DE/SV/NL/PL/SW-Sakiu
AR-ساكيو
HI-साकिउ
RU-Сакиу
JA-さきう
EL-Σάκιο
BN-সাকিউ
ZH-撒库

Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:54 am

All this talk about offense and defences right now.

I'm proud to be part of a thread that can protecc as well as attacc.
Are these "human rights" in the room with us right now?
★彡 Professional pessimist. Reactionary socialist and gamer liberationist. Coffee addict. Fun at parties 彡★
Freedom is when people agree with you, and the more people you can force to act like they agree the freer society is
You are the trolley problem's conductor. You could stop the train in time but you do not. Nobody knows you're part of the equation. You satisfy your bloodlust and get away with it every time

Saciu
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Saciu » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:54 am

If there is in fact evidence that Stef is a pedo, then Blaire's comments are warranted.

SC/EN-Saciu
FR/ES-Saquiu
PT/CA-Sáquio
IT-Sacchio
DE/SV/NL/PL/SW-Sakiu
AR-ساكيو
HI-साकिउ
RU-Сакиу
JA-さきう
EL-Σάκιο
BN-সাকিউ
ZH-撒库

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:55 am

Dumb Ideologies wrote:All this talk about offense and defences right now.

I'm proud to be part of a thread that can protecc as well as attacc.

Thats the whole ieda.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:55 am

Saciu wrote:If there is in fact evidence that Stef is a pedo, then Blaire's comments are warranted.

So let's see the evidence then.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:56 am

Saciu wrote:

There could be other reasons that they were deleted. Is there are solid way to determine who deleted them? We still don't have much context.

I didn't know you could delete someone else's tweets.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General