NATION

PASSWORD

Massive Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:03 am

This was a tragedy that saddened me pretty deeply - though there were some silver linings, namely that many of the iconic statues were removed to prepare for further renovations just before the fire, and that cataclysmic damage was largely averted due to the efforts of firefighters.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:18 am

Galloism wrote:Re: number 2, this was reported on earlier in the thread.

Re: number 3, that's ridiculous. You can't rule out something without having examined any of the physical evidence.

2) I was aware it was reported on earlier in the thread. I didn't see it in a source then, and none of the sources I have read since then mentioned it.
3) You can totally make a call without examining the physical evidence at the seen. "Wow the security cameras show no one entering that area other than the fire inspector, after the construction workers left. We've had no threats, no claims of responsibility, and no threat allerts." Could be there logic. Or the original fire inspector who noticed the fire said "I saw flames coming from improperly stored electrical equipment and flammable." Or dozens of other possibilities.

The investigators have also now had days to look at the physical evidence and their story isnt changing.
Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:I'm pretty willing to call it not arson, given the investigators already did that. This conspiracy would also require Macron somehow knowing there were going to be yellow vest protests shaking the stability of his government months before it happened. And he would then have to come up with this elaborate plan instead of facing the political issues.

Or once the protests and renovations are going he makes the call, to avoid appear on television, have his government fail to save a national historic monument, and only get small and temporary political support.

Neither of those sound very reasonable to me. Macron basically gains nothing, loses some, and has the potential to loose a lot.

The “temporary political support” would likely do more then what you implied. As it builds a reputation base for Macron and his supporters, to the point where people will likely say, “they were the ones who rebuilt Norte Dame”. It also harms the standing of the opposition. If your protesting and causing chaos for the French government, a claim that they are interfering with the reconstruction of Norte Dame is very possible. I think it is also a stretch to say “the government failed to save a national historical monument” as the fire department are likely not being order by the government.

You only get "I rebuilt the cathedral" cred in a decade when the fix is completed, until then you are "I let it burn down" mixed with "I don't like the proposed redesign" and "anyone in power wants to fix it" and doesn't fix the issues that are causing people to protest. Long long term it might help, but right now under the yellow vest protests ot isn't going to help Macron much politically.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:24 am

Spirit of Hope wrote:

Re: number 3, that's ridiculous. You can't rule out something without having examined any of the physical evidence.

3) You can totally make a call without examining the physical evidence at the seen. "Wow the security cameras show no one entering that area other than the fire inspector, after the construction workers left. We've had no threats, no claims of responsibility, and no threat allerts." Could be there logic. Or the original fire inspector who noticed the fire said "I saw flames coming from improperly stored electrical equipment and flammable." Or dozens of other possibilities.

That’s considered highly unprofessional, and many have lost there jobs making “calls” like that.
The investigators have also now had days to look at the physical evidence and their story isnt changing.

Just because something hasn’t changed yet, doesnt mean the case is solved. A investigation can take weeks, and will only close once the case has been announced and concluded by the public.
Holy Tedalonia wrote:The “temporary political support” would likely do more then what you implied. As it builds a reputation base for Macron and his supporters, to the point where people will likely say, “they were the ones who rebuilt Norte Dame”. It also harms the standing of the opposition. If your protesting and causing chaos for the French government, a claim that they are interfering with the reconstruction of Norte Dame is very possible. I think it is also a stretch to say “the government failed to save a national historical monument” as the fire department are likely not being order by the government.

You only get "I rebuilt the cathedral" cred in a decade when the fix is completed, until then you are "I let it burn down" mixed with "I don't like the proposed redesign" and "anyone in power wants to fix it" and doesn't fix the issues that are causing people to protest. Long long term it might help, but right now under the yellow vest protests ot isn't going to help Macron much politically.

It gets people to pause and stop shitting up the country for the most part. As I said, you don’t want to be labelled as “the guys interfering with the Norte Dame reconstruction”
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:24 am

Spirit of Hope wrote:

2) I was aware it was reported on earlier in the thread. I didn't see it in a source then, and none of the sources I have read since then mentioned it.

2) https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/de ... ar-BBVXM4v

3) Again, that's ridiculous, unless they have footage of the fire starting, which probably should have (and would have) been shared with the media. Because of the nature of how fires work. This whole thing is very suspicious.

Again, it could all be a series of coincidences in a very convenient manner, but the two fires bursting out at the same time, along with the other coincidences and semi-related things, really shoots an eyebrow up for me.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

South Acren
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby South Acren » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:28 am

All that history...ruined. That fire made me depressed
"Gott Mit Uns!"
.....begin transmission

Be not afraid. We now acknowledge your existence. You are now under protection of The Eternal Empire. We will guard you with our lives forevermore. Pray you never give us a reason to revoke it.
Imperium Aeterna, Empire Eternal

Northern Guaniet Sover
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Guaniet Sover » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:51 am

on fox news now they say a video game scan can help rebuild the cathedral

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:53 am

Northern Guaniet Sover wrote:on fox news now they say a video game scan can help rebuild the cathedral

Nah that's silly. They have a bunch of documents of the plans already, I really doubt Assassins Creed is going to be any value with it.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:57 am

South Acren wrote:All that history...ruined. That fire made me depressed

Actually most of the history is safe.
Last edited by El-Amin Caliphate on Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

South Acren
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby South Acren » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:08 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Actually most of the history is safe.

Not the famed spire...or the parts that were burnt
"Gott Mit Uns!"
.....begin transmission

Be not afraid. We now acknowledge your existence. You are now under protection of The Eternal Empire. We will guard you with our lives forevermore. Pray you never give us a reason to revoke it.
Imperium Aeterna, Empire Eternal

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:08 pm

South Acren wrote:

Not the famed spire...or the parts that were burnt

Obviously not, but a lot of the relics and artworks were taken out so their alcoves/vaults/whatever could be repaired.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:45 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
South Acren wrote:All that history...ruined. That fire made me depressed

Actually most of the history is safe.

850 year old French beechwood beams. As a non catholic who has been there, it was the construction details and medieval craftwork that absolutely impressed me the most. That will never be recovered.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:47 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:I'm pretty willing to call it not arson, given the investigators already did that. This conspiracy would also require Macron somehow knowing there were going to be yellow vest protests shaking the stability of his government months before it happened. And he would then have to come up with this elaborate plan instead of facing the political issues.

Or once the protests and renovations are going he makes the call, to avoid appear on television, have his government fail to save a national historic monument, and only get small and temporary political support.

Neither of those sound very reasonable to me. Macron basically gains nothing, loses some, and has the potential to loose a lot.

Eh, he would just have to have told Inspector Clouseau the the pink panther had been spotted in the Notre Dame roof.

The destruction would have been complete.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Yusseria
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Yusseria » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:50 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

850 year old French beechwood beams. As a non catholic who has been there, it was the construction details and medieval craftwork that absolutely impressed me the most. That will never be recovered.

Never fear. Assassin's Creed Unity is coming to the rescue.
Yusseria - The Prussia of NationStates
There is nothing wrong with Islamaphobia

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:53 pm

Yusseria wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:850 year old French beechwood beams. As a non catholic who has been there, it was the construction details and medieval craftwork that absolutely impressed me the most. That will never be recovered.

Never fear. Assassin's Creed Unity is coming to the rescue.

Tbh, I approve.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:29 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Andsed wrote:Wat? :blink:

I believe he's trying to thank Muslims for starting this fire, since he also hates Christians, because he blames them for marriage rates in western Europe being lower than in eastern Europe, and I'm guessing this has something to do with his desire to destroy modern society and have everyone inbreed until we're too stupid to recreate it.

Someone guzzled the kool-aid, I guess. Guzzled it hard.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Technocratic Uganda
Envoy

Founded: Jun 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Technocratic Uganda » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:56 pm

North German Realm wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
RIght after the fire started some right wingers/conspiracy theorists said "no doubt they will now build a mosque there".
They were right.

Well, partially. The new Notre Dame is supposed to become a monument to diversity, including a synagogue, mosque and inclusivity center.

This is a fucking joke, right?

clown world
21, unsure about my gender, born male but might be trans, love hiking and nature, love gaming especially csgo and osu!

kawaii :3

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:59 pm

Build condos.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:
Northern Guaniet Sover wrote:on fox news now they say a video game scan can help rebuild the cathedral

Nah that's silly. They have a bunch of documents of the plans already, I really doubt Assassins Creed is going to be any value with it.

Are you kidding Assassins creed is the most exact rendering of the Cathedral ever they have every step down to the milliliter.

Also if they use the Assassins creed rendering they will add some secret rooms and stuff that the Cathedral desperately needs.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:03 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Bezkoshtovnya wrote:Nah that's silly. They have a bunch of documents of the plans already, I really doubt Assassins Creed is going to be any value with it.

Are you kidding Assassins creed is the most exact rendering of the Cathedral ever they have every step down to the milliliter.

Also if they use the Assassins creed rendering they will add some secret rooms and stuff that the Cathedral desperately needs.

And a lot of saving your life from jumping from ludicrous heights by just falling into a hay cart. *nod*
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:04 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Bezkoshtovnya wrote:Nah that's silly. They have a bunch of documents of the plans already, I really doubt Assassins Creed is going to be any value with it.

Apart from all the bits they had to make up. Like the spire.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:05 pm

we should build a Westfield shopping mall on top of it.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:06 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:we should build a Westfield shopping mall on top of it.

"we"?

I did not know you were French :)
The Blaatschapen should resign

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:07 pm

The blAAtschApen wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:we should build a Westfield shopping mall on top of it.

"we"?

Corporations are multinational.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:10 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
The blAAtschApen wrote:
"we"?

Corporations are multinational.

Of course, monsieur Stearns.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:Are you kidding Assassins creed is the most exact rendering of the Cathedral ever they have every step down to the milliliter.

Apart from all the bits they had to make up. Like the spire.

The French wouldn't let them fly a drone around the Spire. It is not their fault.

If the Spire comes away looking like modern art trash I blame the French Govnerment.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General