NATION

PASSWORD

Does the US need more military spending?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Does the US spend adequately on it's military?

Yes, the US is an imperialistic empire! It spends too much, and needs to scale back!
14%
Yes, the US spends too much as it is, the money would be better spent elsewhere.
47%
Yes, the current amount is enough.
12%
Undecided.
3%
No, we need more spending to replace outdated equipment, and to deal with the current world situation.
17%
No, the US needs to increase spending, and take the fight to our enemies, hooah!
7%

Total votes : 76

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:35 am

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:The US spends more on the military than the next seven countries combined. Whether or not we need more military power is irrelevant, the fact is that if throwing more money at the problem could solve it, we would have solved it by now. But as it stands, spending billions of dollars on blowing up terrorists has managed to do very little to remove the terrorists, so maybe we should consider alternative means.

Terrorists are not the real threat. And terrorism does require military responses, but not only military responses. Our failure to focus on stable governance and economic improvement is a failure, but still we need to spend to replace our vast amounts of obsolete equipment.

Pretty much all our major equipment and platforms are from the 80s or even the 50s and early 60s.

And again looking at spending alone in absence of things like wage disparities is a mistake.
If China paid their soldiers a decent wage compared to ours their military spending would have to quadruple or more.
Last edited by Novus America on Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Medwind
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Medwind » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:36 am

"You may fire when ready!"

AhmadiMuslim1889
Envoy

Founded: Apr 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby AhmadiMuslim1889 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:37 am

Novus America wrote: Our failure to focus on stable governance and economic improvement is a failure, but still we need to spend to replace our vast amounts of obsolete equipment.

Well, it's also the fault of Middle Eastern governments and their mullahs for not educating the youth, and letting them be prone to recruitment by extremists. Sadly, the middle east is like America's inner cities where gangs recruit the youth to do terrible things. Same with terrorist organizations.
Formally known as Jolthig. Love For All, Hatred For None. Add 11983 posts. Open to TGs.

I will be logging off of NS on the evening of May 5th to observe the Islamic month of Ramadan, and will not return until early June.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:38 am

Havarland wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:The US spends more on the military than the next seven countries combined. Whether or not we need more military power is irrelevant, the fact is that if throwing more money at the problem could solve it, we would have solved it by now. But as it stands, spending billions of dollars on blowing up terrorists has managed to do very little to remove the terrorists, so maybe we should consider alternative means.

Excuse me, can you read?

Do you have a point? If so, maybe consider making it.
Medwind wrote:

No, what we need to do is double down. If Obama & Bush hadn't pulled us out of Iraq, ISIS would have been defeated in it's infancy. We need to aggressively combat terrorist organizations in the middle east.

Edit: Not that this has to do with the actual discussion.

Staying there as long as we did accomplished basically nothing, so I don't see why staying there longer should do more.
I'm not saying that we should do nothing, but I am saying that if you've been doing the exact same thing for over a decade and it has failed to yield tangible results, then maybe you should consider doing something else.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:39 am

AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:
Novus America wrote: Our failure to focus on stable governance and economic improvement is a failure, but still we need to spend to replace our vast amounts of obsolete equipment.

Well, it's also the fault of Middle Eastern governments and their mullahs for not educating the youth, and letting them be prone to recruitment by extremists. Sadly, the middle east is like America's inner cities where gangs recruit the youth to do terrible things. Same with terrorist organizations.

This is true, military response is only one part of the fight against terrorism. A critical part but not the only critical part. We are unfortunately failing at the other parts.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

AhmadiMuslim1889
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby AhmadiMuslim1889 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:42 am

Novus America wrote:
AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:Well, it's also the fault of Middle Eastern governments and their mullahs for not educating the youth, and letting them be prone to recruitment by extremists. Sadly, the middle east is like America's inner cities where gangs recruit the youth to do terrible things. Same with terrorist organizations.

This is true, military response is only one part of the fight against terrorism. A critical part but not the only critical part. We are unfortunately failing at the other parts.

Yep. War doesn't come by military means alone. Education and Rhetoric comes with it.
Formally known as Jolthig. Love For All, Hatred For None. Add 11983 posts. Open to TGs.

I will be logging off of NS on the evening of May 5th to observe the Islamic month of Ramadan, and will not return until early June.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:43 am

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:
Havarland wrote:Excuse me, can you read?

Do you have a point? If so, maybe consider making it.
Medwind wrote:No, what we need to do is double down. If Obama & Bush hadn't pulled us out of Iraq, ISIS would have been defeated in it's infancy. We need to aggressively combat terrorist organizations in the middle east.

Edit: Not that this has to do with the actual discussion.

Staying there as long as we did accomplished basically nothing, so I don't see why staying there longer should do more.
I'm not saying that we should do nothing, but I am saying that if you've been doing the exact same thing for over a decade and it has failed to yield tangible results, then maybe you should consider doing something else.

The thing we need to do is massively crack down on corruption and poor governance in places like Afghanistan. Yes we need a new approach, but that new approach should not be run away and abandon countries to ISIS and the Taliban either.

But again the real problem is not terrorism.

New fighters and air defense systems are not for terrorists.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

DACOROMANIA
Envoy

Founded: Mar 02, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby DACOROMANIA » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:44 am

Valkalan wrote:Having served in the US armed forces, I've observed that huge amounts of the budget are generally wasted on bureaucracy, benefits and aid programs rather than weapons and training. Actually, this is common around the world. Many European nations push their budgets toward the 3% of GDP NATO standard by simply increasing personnel expenses rather than buying new weapons.

Honestly, the military has more than enough funding, but it needs to use it more efficiently.

In real life, my native nation from Europe is a NATO member and partner of the USA, however my native country has to deal in politics more like a "vassal" (secretly more countries in the world are controlled in part by foreign powers) and didn't benefit of a "Marshall plan" for reconstruction but rather an opposite plan. And that's not the only. Otherwise my country would had been better as a strong NATO partner & member in a region of Europe.
If I were a leader, I wouldn't neglect welfare, health and education, but I would put at 20% military spending at least.
Leader of DACOROMANIA, Founder of Roman Byzantine Union.

I wish to save human race and to build a new nation-state, with ideals like human rights, peace and prosperity for all despite of any difference, avoiding the tyranny and preserving the liberty. To grow, to aid and save each other. Also going interstellar. Even if abandoned by family and nobody cares, I wish to do something important in life before to die, something that may really count.
I'm so alone on Earth and I see how the world may fall into chaos. All looks irrational and immoral. It's a pain to not be able to do anything and to be surrounded by barbarians.

Medwind
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Medwind » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:46 am

Risottia wrote:
Medwind wrote:
Did you read a single link? The answers are there, but I'll cover it a bit. There are only 5 NATO countries meeting the required military spending, as outlined by the treaties they are bound to uphold.

Bullshit. NATO spending guidelines are guidelines, non-mandatory, and not written in the treaty.

Russian ships in the gulf of Mexico,

Gulf of Mexico =/= US territory.
Russia annexing territory in Ukraine,

Ukraine is neither American territory nor a NATO country.

sending troops into the middle east & Africa,

ME and Africa aren't American territory.

threatening nuclear war

So does America since August 1945, with the difference that America conducted nuclear first strikes on a non-nuclear-armed country.

, China using belligerent rhetoric, and modernizing, and expanding the military,

Rhetoric and arming isn't aggression.

terrorists abroad

Abroad = not American territory or jurisdiction. Mind your own mass shooters.

, North Korea prepping missile sites, and continuing nuclear research, etc. etc.

See Russia and China above.

I suppose by your standards Europe wasn't under threat until Hitler invaded Poland.

Europe was threatened and even when Hitler invaded Czechoslovakia, Poland, Yugoslavia, Greece, France, UK (Channel Islands), Norway, Denmark, Austria, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and the Soviet Union America didn't move a finger. Only after Germany declared war on America.

Seriously dude? You had to make all these quotes? Ahhh… I'm not doing that. Russia seizing land in Europe is a concern for America, this is no longer the 30's, when tinpot dictatorships could annex territories without much notice from the US. That is a very good thing. Russian ships sitting in our backyard is cause for concern. Russian interference in that region has lead to many problems (see: Cuban missile crises) Russia sending their forces throughout the middle east & Africa is reminiscent of the cold war. The United States does not threaten nuclear war, not in modern days anyway, whereas, Russia does. Attacking our history, (IE a necessary strategy that saved tens of thousands of American lives, something your nation would likely have done if it were the other way around) and launching attacks about mass shooters shows your bias, and disinterest in actual debate, preferring to spiel your anti US rhetoric instead. "Talks about how we don't have any business abroad despite our numerous allies, and treaties with different parts of the world, doesn't say anything about Russia doing the same thing, defends them coming to US backyard" hypocrite.
Last edited by Medwind on Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:46 am

AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:

Then maybe we should invest in schools so that the youth can be educated.
(Also, quick maths: Google tells me that it costs $26.5 million to build a school, and Politifact tells me that we've spent $2 trillion on the War On Terror, which means that we could have built over 750,000 schools with that money. For comparison, the United States has less than 100,000.
This is not to say that we should actually build 750,000 schools in the Middle East, since most of that would also be a colossal waste of money if for no other reason than "there aren't enough people there to use them", but rather to provide a point of reference for what else we could have spent that money on.)

Upper Secundus
Envoy

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Upper Secundus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:47 am

Medwind wrote:"You may fire when ready!"

I for one believe the US should allocate 99% of the Federal Budget to building cool space weaponry. The world's problems can be fixed with Venator-class Star Destroyers.

Rising Sea Levels? Bombard the planet until the seas evaporate.

Forest Fires? Get rid of the forests.

Hotel? Triva-BOOM
Rock and Roll Romans Bring thy Hard Rock Hedonism

"The world is one massive toilet, full of shit and waiting to be flushed."-Upper Secundus

Greco-Roman Polytheist and Agrarian

AhmadiMuslim1889
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby AhmadiMuslim1889 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:50 am

AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:Well, it's also the fault of Middle Eastern governments and their mullahs for not educating the youth, and letting them be prone to recruitment by extremists. Sadly, the middle east is like America's inner cities where gangs recruit the youth to do terrible things. Same with terrorist organizations.

Then maybe we should invest in schools so that the youth can be educated.
(Also, quick maths: Google tells me that it costs $26.5 million to build a school, and Politifact tells me that we've spent $2 trillion on the War On Terror, which means that we could have built over 750,000 schools with that money. For comparison, the United States has less than 100,000.
This is not to say that we should actually build 750,000 schools in the Middle East, since most of that would also be a colossal waste of money if for no other reason than "there aren't enough people there to use them", but rather to provide a point of reference for what else we could have spent that money on.)

I don't disagree with you there, but the question is, will these middle eastern governments manage these new schools properly rather spending it on other useless means?

I'm not saying war will wipe out terrorists altogether. What I'm saying is, we should intervene to the extent that we keep those stubborn, and close-minded terrorists at bay while educating the youth.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:51 am

Novus America wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:Do you have a point? If so, maybe consider making it.

The thing we need to do is massively crack down on corruption and poor governance in places like Afghanistan. Yes we need a new approach, but that new approach should not be run away and abandon countries to ISIS and the Taliban either.

I'm not saying that we should abandon the region to ISIS (but then again, ISIS is basically crushed anyway, so we could totally do that), but I am saying that we should try to give people reasons to not sign up. That would probably work better and cost less, so we should at least try it.
And I was using the War On Terror because that's the current conflict we're actively engaging in. But the point still stands for the arms race with Russia and China, we spend so much more than them already that it really shouldn't be a contest, and if it still is, then spending even more won't shift the outcome by much.

AhmadiMuslim1889
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby AhmadiMuslim1889 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:51 am

Also, another point I'd like to add to this discussion is that we have a tendency to look at one thing, and not the whole things that could be causing that so called "one thing" in the first place.

New Sukberia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 18, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Sukberia » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:52 am

Upper Secundus wrote:

I for one believe the US should allocate 99% of the Federal Budget to building cool space weaponry. The world's problems can be fixed with Venator-class Star Destroyers.

Hotel? Triva-BOOM

Would you mind running for office?
Professionnal bombass bombillier. Former legionnaire 34-0

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:52 am

Upper Secundus wrote:

Hotel? Triva-BOOM

Pave the Earth!

prepare for global Road Wars

AhmadiMuslim1889
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby AhmadiMuslim1889 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:53 am

Novus America wrote:

I'm not saying that we should abandon the region to ISIS (but then again, ISIS is basically crushed anyway, so we could totally do that), but I am saying that we should try to give people reasons to not sign up. That would probably work better and cost less, so we should at least try it.
And I was using the War On Terror because that's the current conflict we're actively engaging in. But the point still stands for the arms race with Russia and China, we spend so much more than them already that it really shouldn't be a contest, and if it still is, then spending even more won't shift the outcome by much.

Then, my question is in general (and I had this on my mind since reading the OP), where is all the money we spend on going to? Corruption and insufficient bureaucracy? :eyebrow:

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:53 am

AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:Then maybe we should invest in schools so that the youth can be educated.

I don't disagree with you there, but the question is, will these middle eastern governments manage these new schools properly rather spending it on other useless means?

I'm not saying war will wipe out terrorists altogether. What I'm saying is, we should intervene to the extent that we keep those stubborn, and close-minded terrorists at bay while educating the youth.

How about we don't just hand them money and hope they spend it on the right things, and instead we actually make sure that they're doing what they say they're doing?

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:54 am

AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:I'm not saying that we should abandon the region to ISIS (but then again, ISIS is basically crushed anyway, so we could totally do that), but I am saying that we should try to give people reasons to not sign up. That would probably work better and cost less, so we should at least try it.

Then, my question is in general (and I had this on my mind since reading the OP), where is all the money we spend on going to? Corruption and insufficient bureaucracy? :eyebrow:

Yes.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Medwind
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Medwind » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:55 am

Upper Secundus wrote:

Hotel? Triva-BOOM

Throw colonization projects in with that, and I'm in. Time to establish a galactic empire, amirite? The United Sectors of American Space maybe? Sounds good, send it.

AhmadiMuslim1889
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby AhmadiMuslim1889 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:55 am

AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:I don't disagree with you there, but the question is, will these middle eastern governments manage these new schools properly rather spending it on other useless means?

How about we don't just hand them money and hope they spend it on the right things, and instead we actually make sure that they're doing what they say they're doing?

I suppose.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:56 am

AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:I'm not saying that we should abandon the region to ISIS (but then again, ISIS is basically crushed anyway, so we could totally do that), but I am saying that we should try to give people reasons to not sign up. That would probably work better and cost less, so we should at least try it.

Pretty much.
I guess my biggest point is that if other countries can do what we're doing with less money, then maybe we should reevaluate our approach and stop thinking that a blank check is the solution to everything.

AhmadiMuslim1889
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby AhmadiMuslim1889 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:56 am

Valrifell wrote:
AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:Then, my question is in general (and I had this on my mind since reading the OP), where is all the money we spend on going to? Corruption and insufficient bureaucracy? :eyebrow:

Yes.

Then, our $20 trillion debt is an illusion.

Upper Secundus
Envoy

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Upper Secundus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:57 am

New Sukberia wrote:Would you mind running for office?

'Fraid not my dude, I'm not a US Citizen and I wasn't born in the US. That and I refuse to be shackled by a silly piece of paper from 232 years ago, signed into law on a MONDAY, of all days.

However, you're welcome to support my bid to take over the planet and rule in a blaze of fire and glory.
Last edited by Upper Secundus on Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rock and Roll Romans Bring thy Hard Rock Hedonism

"The world is one massive toilet, full of shit and waiting to be flushed."-Upper Secundus

Greco-Roman Polytheist and Agrarian

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:58 am

AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Yes.

Then, our $20 trillion debt is an illusion.

You aren't as wrong with that statement as you probably think you are, but I'm curious how this fits in.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General