NATION

PASSWORD

Does the US need more military spending?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Does the US spend adequately on it's military?

Yes, the US is an imperialistic empire! It spends too much, and needs to scale back!
14%
Yes, the US spends too much as it is, the money would be better spent elsewhere.
47%
Yes, the current amount is enough.
12%
Undecided.
3%
No, we need more spending to replace outdated equipment, and to deal with the current world situation.
17%
No, the US needs to increase spending, and take the fight to our enemies, hooah!
7%

Total votes : 76

Medwind
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Medwind » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:19 am

Duhon wrote:Arms races are bad and everyone involved should feel bad, but of course they wouldn't, because what are people if not mere statistics, mere kindling before the bloodlust of the blindly powerful?

/thread

"I'm a pacifist, you know, like the ones who spat on Vietnam vets? Yeah, pacifism's great. Anyway, I just wanted to say, the whole world can be changed with smiles, we don't need a military, we should send the terrorists flowers, and, hula-hoops!"

Havarland
Envoy

Founded: Nov 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Havarland » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:20 am

Duhon wrote:
Havarland wrote:America has the best educational system in the world and each state is different.

What actual lol?

No other countries, with the few exceptions have such great universities and Cali has one of the greatest educational system in the world.

Medwind
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Medwind » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:24 am

Havarland wrote:
East Meranopirus wrote:I think the case against increased military spending can be summarised by this:
(Image)

All of these countries are protected by The USA with the exceptions of China and Russia.
South Korea wouldn't even exist without the glorious and beautiful United States of America

Very good point! Besides, why should we let foreign states dictate our policies?

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:29 am

Medwind wrote:
Duhon wrote:Arms races are bad and everyone involved should feel bad, but of course they wouldn't, because what are people if not mere statistics, mere kindling before the bloodlust of the blindly powerful?

/thread

"I'm a pacifist, you know, like the ones who spat on Vietnam vets? Yeah, pacifism's great. Anyway, I just wanted to say, the whole world can be changed with smiles, we don't need a military, we should send the terrorists flowers, and, hula-hoops!"

Nice Strawman. No one is saying we need to get rid of the military only that we are spending to much on it and that the money could be spent better elsewhere.
Last edited by Andsed on Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Medwind
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Medwind » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:32 am

Andsed wrote:
Medwind wrote:"I'm a pacifist, you know, like the ones who spat on Vietnam vets? Yeah, pacifism's great. Anyway, I just wanted to say, the whole world can be changed with smiles, we don't need a military, we should send the terrorists flowers, and, hula-hoops!"

Nice Strawman. No one is saying we need to get rid of the military only that we are spending to much on it and that the money could be spent better elsewhere.

Disabling an already weakened military might as well mean disbanding it, depending on how far it's taken. I've seen some here advocate massive scale backs.

Havarland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Havarland » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:32 am

Medwind wrote:
Havarland wrote:All of these countries are protected by The USA with the exceptions of China and Russia.
South Korea wouldn't even exist without the glorious and beautiful United States of America

Very good point! Besides, why should we let foreign states dictate our policies?

Because The USA belongs to NATO. We shouldn't let anyone dictate America's policies. Things started improving once Trump was elected, but still the matter of fact is that only handful of countries pay 2%.
The USA has given a lot to Europe and most Europeans don't really appreciate it and laugh at us. My point was: Don't compare military spending with European countries, such as Germany, since they don't even pay 2% and The USA is protecting them. It's unfair. Also, for those of you who don't know: Educational, prison, welfare systems are different all across The United States. It's as if we generalised all of the Europe and said: "Poland is exactly the same as The UK", but it's not.
Another myth is that Americans are stupid. I like the fact that Europeans were whining on Trump and on The USA being anti-immigrant, while they are exactly the same.
It is also easier for illegals to stay in The USA (depending on cities / states) than in Europe.

Without The USA South Korea would be the same as North Korea, The Soviet Union might still exist and The Soviet Union would have never ever defeated Nazi Germany. So your talk about Americans being warmongers is completely wrong.
Last edited by Havarland on Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:34 am

Medwind wrote:
Andsed wrote:Nice Strawman. No one is saying we need to get rid of the military only that we are spending to much on it and that the money could be spent better elsewhere.

Disabling an already weakened military might as well mean disbanding it, depending on how far it's taken. I've seen some here advocate massive scale backs.

We are not disabling the military by cutting back on spending. We already spend around 700 billion more than anyone else we can afford to and should cut back on spending.
Last edited by Andsed on Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Medwind
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Medwind » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:34 am

Havarland wrote:
Medwind wrote:Very good point! Besides, why should we let foreign states dictate our policies?

Because The USA belongs to NATO. We shouldn't let anyone dictate America's policies. Things started improving once Trump was elected, but still the matter of fact is that only handful of countries pay 2%.
The USA has given a lot to Europe and most Europeans don't really appreciate it and laugh at us. My point was: Don't compare military spending with European countries, such as Germany, since they don't even pay 2% and The USA is protecting them. It's unfair. Also, for those of you who don't know: Educational, prison, welfare systems are different all across The United States. It's as if we generalised all of the Europe and said: "Poland is exactly the same as The UK", but it's not.
Another myth is that Americans are stupid. I like the fact that Europeans were whining on Trump and on The USA being anti-immigrant, while they are exactly the same.
It is also easier for illegals to stay in The USA (depending on cities / states) than in Europe.

Without The USA South Korea would be the same as North Korea, The Soviet Union might still exist and The Soviet Union would have never ever defeated Nazi Germany. So your talk about Americans being warmongers is completely wrong.

I agree with you 100%

Medwind
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Medwind » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:37 am

Andsed wrote:
Medwind wrote:Disabling an already weakened military might as well mean disbanding it, depending on how far it's taken. I've seen some here advocate massive scale backs.

We are disabling the military by cutting back on spending. We already spend around 700 billion more than anyone else we can afford to and should cut back on spending.

Read some of the links. The military is currently being cut back as it is. We have equipment that is outdated & needs an upgrade, the Bradley fighting vehicle is a prime example. We are hurting, meanwhile Russia & China are expanding, modernizing & training their forces for war.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:37 am

No, the Pentagon is an ethically questionable, administratively bloated mess more or less in the hands of defense contractors seeking a quick buck by making weapons that run overbudget and behind schedule. Either reform the DoD or cut the budget, because at the moment it's close to burning money.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:45 am

Medwind wrote:

/thread

One doesn't have to be a pacifist (I'm not) to observe that the US military can deal with less than $707 million, just as the rest of America -- roads, bridges, government agencies, investments on R&D for nonmilitary purposes -- can do more with more.
Last edited by Duhon on Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Medwind
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Medwind » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:51 am

Duhon wrote:
Medwind wrote:"I'm a pacifist, you know, like the ones who spat on Vietnam vets? Yeah, pacifism's great. Anyway, I just wanted to say, the whole world can be changed with smiles, we don't need a military, we should send the terrorists flowers, and, hula-hoops!"

One doesn't have to be a pacifist (I'm not) to observe that the US military can deal with less than $707 million, just as the rest of America -- roads, bridges, government agencies, investments on R&D for nonmilitary purposes -- can do more with more.

We need the money to stay competitive with our adversaries at a time they are ramping up. No opponents seems to have read the links, none of you has posted any answers to deal with these issues, just said we don't need money, or spouted some anti war propaganda, even though this is about spending.

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:52 am

Our Military spending is adequate where it is. Although, this money should also go to fixing outdated equipment.

Havarland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Havarland » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:52 am

Duhon wrote:

But please understand that many countries are taking advantages on The USA. This is where the money goes: even when the army isn't at home aka is in the overseas the American government pays for it. (Salaries, etc).
The huge military spending started during the Cold War with The USSR and has been like this ever since. South Koreans don't even really appreciate American troops.

The troops of The United States of America are all over the world, like in Europe and in Asia. This is where a lot of money goes as well. You can't really cut it.

Also, don't forget that The USA has some enemies.

Duhon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:56 am

Medwind wrote:
Duhon wrote:

We need the money to stay competitive with our adversaries at a time they are ramping up. No opponents seems to have read the links, none of you has posted any answers to deal with these issues, just said we don't need money, or spouted some anti war propaganda, even though this is about spending.

Haven't seen those links, and in any case, what I've been saying is that you neither need that much money nor do you need to be engaged in constant, unending wars the world over. For better or worse, no amount of money will make you the world's policeman, so maybe cut back on the spending and think of where that money should be spent.

East Meranopirus
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby East Meranopirus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:58 am

Medwind wrote:
Duhon wrote:

And you seem to be just ignoring anything that doesn't fit your narrative, like the graphic I posted. The military spendings of China and Russia combined are less than a quarter of the US.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:59 am

Kowani wrote:What, so America can have quadruple the rest of the world’s aircraft carriers?

China is cranking out aircraft carriers...
Along with various other weapons.
Last edited by Novus America on Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:01 am

East Meranopirus wrote:
Medwind wrote:We need the money to stay competitive with our adversaries at a time they are ramping up. No opponents seems to have read the links, none of you has posted any answers to deal with these issues, just said we don't need money, or spouted some anti war propaganda, even though this is about spending.

And you seem to be just ignoring anything that doesn't fit your narrative, like the graphic I posted. The military spendings of China and Russia combined are less than a quarter of the US.

Because they give their soldiers crappy pay.
The much lower wages in those countries means we are going to have to spend more to keep up.
As a percentage of GDP our spending is not that high.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Duhon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:01 am

Novus America wrote:
Kowani wrote:What, so America can have quadruple the rest of the world’s aircraft carriers?

Which is fucking worrying, especially as we're but a sea away, never mind Duterte's antics whenever anything Chinese is brought up.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:03 am

Novus America wrote:

If only our military was competent enough to use their current funds to maintain our weapons.

Duhon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:03 am

Novus America wrote:
East Meranopirus wrote:And you seem to be just ignoring anything that doesn't fit your narrative, like the graphic I posted. The military spendings of China and Russia combined are less than a quarter of the US.

The much lower wages in those countries means we are going to have to spend more to keep up.

In the context of the Cut Cut Cut Act and the refusal of the Trump admin to act like a proper government, it absolutely is.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:04 am

Novus America wrote:
East Meranopirus wrote:And you seem to be just ignoring anything that doesn't fit your narrative, like the graphic I posted. The military spendings of China and Russia combined are less than a quarter of the US.

Percentage of GDP doesn't excuse why we're throwing more money at our defense program and not getting similar results as the Chinese or the Russians. There's only so much their lower wages for soldiers can excuse.

East Meranopirus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby East Meranopirus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 am

Novus America wrote:

Hardly cranking out aircraft carriers...they have one in operation and are projected to have 5 or 6 by 2030s. Meanwhile the US has 11, constructing 2 more, and planning on 7 more. If China's cranking, I don't think the US can even be described with words.

Medwind
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Medwind » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:06 am

East Meranopirus wrote:
Medwind wrote:We need the money to stay competitive with our adversaries at a time they are ramping up. No opponents seems to have read the links, none of you has posted any answers to deal with these issues, just said we don't need money, or spouted some anti war propaganda, even though this is about spending.

Ahhh,.. look, the US has been cutting back dramatically, Russia & China have only been expanding. Amount of money spent doesn't = superior numbers, we are heavily outnumbered in most of the regions we're in due to us being spread so thin, we are also outnumbered by China & India, our aircraft, and fleet's are becoming steadily out of date, whilst our rivals advance in tech, we need more troops, and funding, to combat terrorism over seas, to project power in certain regions, to deter Russian aggression in Eastern Europe, and the Middle East, and Chinese aggression against Taiwan, and the pacific. North Korea, and Iran both pose serious threats as well, and, so on etc. etc.

East Meranopirus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby East Meranopirus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:06 am

Novus America wrote:

Actually, China's military budget as a percentage of their GDP is only 1.9%, that's lower than the NATO recommended target of 2%, not to say the US's 3.3%

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General