NATION

PASSWORD

Rep. Omar faces backlash from Republicans

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:40 pm

Aclion wrote:
Aeritai wrote:
Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., finds herself embroiled in another controversy after a comment she made about the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and Muslim civil rights.

Speaking last month at an event hosted by the Council on American-Islamic Relations' Los Angeles chapter, Omar mistakenly said the organization was founded in response to the terrorist attacks, adding "because they recognized that some people did something" — a phrasing that some in conservative media have interpreted as a too-flippant reference to the attack.

"CAIR was founded after 9/11, because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties," Omar said.

Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... ts-n993326

While taking things out of context always happens in politics I do think the Republicans and media are overrecting and taking things out of context. Do note I am not defending Omar mostly because I found it strange that she put 9/11 into her speech and the way she said it. So I'm neutral on this until I know who's more guilty.

The Republicans and its media need to look into the context of words Omar said. On the other hand Omar should've chosen her words carefully went it came to talking about 9/11.

So NSG what are your thoughts? Is it just a simple misunderstanding from the Republicans or is Omar in the wrong here?

The context is Ilhan Omar is the Representative of a district with a large Muslim demographic, and has often engaged in dog-whistling by saying antisemitic things and making light of terrorist attacks in such a way as to make it just ambiguous enough for people who agree with it to defend her, while associating with overtly antisemitic people and groups that have committed terrorist attacks; and then shouting about Islamophobia and sexism when she gets called out for her bullshit.

So what dogwhistles would those be?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:41 pm

Aclion wrote:
Aeritai wrote:
Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., finds herself embroiled in another controversy after a comment she made about the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and Muslim civil rights.

Speaking last month at an event hosted by the Council on American-Islamic Relations' Los Angeles chapter, Omar mistakenly said the organization was founded in response to the terrorist attacks, adding "because they recognized that some people did something" — a phrasing that some in conservative media have interpreted as a too-flippant reference to the attack.

"CAIR was founded after 9/11, because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties," Omar said.

Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... ts-n993326

While taking things out of context always happens in politics I do think the Republicans and media are overrecting and taking things out of context. Do note I am not defending Omar mostly because I found it strange that she put 9/11 into her speech and the way she said it. So I'm neutral on this until I know who's more guilty.

The Republicans and its media need to look into the context of words Omar said. On the other hand Omar should've chosen her words carefully went it came to talking about 9/11.

So NSG what are your thoughts? Is it just a simple misunderstanding from the Republicans or is Omar in the wrong here?

The context is Ilhan Omar is the Representative of a district with a large Muslim demographic, and has often engaged in dog-whistling by saying antisemitic things and making light of terrorist attacks in such a way as to make it just ambiguous enough for people who agree with it to defend her, while associating with overtly antisemitic people and groups that have committed terrorist attacks; and then shouting about Islamophobia and sexism when she gets called out for her bullshit.

Do you have any sources on these dog whistling?
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:45 pm

People overreacted, but her choice of words was just plain dumb,

i am in favor of fair treatment for Muslims, and I think CAIR has done good work despite the power of the Israel lobby in Washington, but she is going to hurt her own cause, sooner or later,
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Western Word Land
Civilian

Founded: Apr 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Word Land » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:47 pm

Her mistake was that she did not refer to it as a terrorist attack committed by immigrants, which it was. She instead referred to it as an innocuous event which she claims non Muslims committed.

The historical fact is that it was terrorism and that it was carried out by Muslim immigrants. It is also a historic fact that not all, and in actuality, most Muslims, did not participate in the attack and many condemned it. But the Islamophobia of today does not excuse attempts to replace factual history of what really happened with myth, lies, and false history that is designed to promote an Anti-American agenda. Just 9/11 really does not excuse that islamophobia.

The historical truth is the historical truth regardless of how far you go to deny it, cover it up, or falsify it. The truth will always see the light of day sooner or later.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:50 pm

Western Word Land wrote:Her mistake was that she did not refer to it as a terrorist attack committed by immigrants, which it was. She instead referred to it as an innocuous event which she claims non Muslims committed.

Amazing. Every word of what you just said... was wrong.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Yusseria
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Yusseria » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:51 pm

She's an Islamist idiot.

There's not much else to it.
Yusseria - The Prussia of NationStates
There is nothing wrong with Islamaphobia

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:55 pm

Yusseria wrote:She's an Islamist idiot.

There's not much else to it.

[citation needed]
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:57 pm

What's wrong with what she said?
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:58 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:What's wrong with what she said?

The fact she said something while being a Muslim and a woman, apparently.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:04 pm

Vassenor wrote:

I doubt it was because she's a woman.

Anyways yeah, maybe she worded it wrong but y'all have to look at the full sentence too. She said that "some people did something and then all of us were starting to lose our liberties", which in this context kinda makes sense. Yes, maybe she should've used different words but what she said isn't all around bad.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:05 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Anyways yeah, maybe she worded it wrong but y'all have to look at the full sentence too. She said that "some people did something and then all of us were starting to lose our liberties", which in this context kinda makes sense. Yes, maybe she should've used different words but what she said isn't all around bad.

Given the amount of misogyny in the GOP caucus, I'd say her having no Y chromosome has a lot to do with it too.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:05 pm

Vassenor wrote:

No. It’s the fact that she tried to shoehorn in 9/11. You have several people, a few in this thread, who acknowledge that her word choice was a bit dumb.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:06 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

No. It’s the fact that she tried to shoehorn in 9/11. You have several people, a few in this thread, who acknowledge that her word choice was a bit dumb.

Attempt at scoring points maybe by bringing up such a delicate topic? I mean, politicians do this kind of thing.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:07 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Is she wrong saying American Muslims are collectively blamed for 9/11?
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:08 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Learn from this, then. Do not appear to belittle the suffering of the American soul at that time. When you are walking in a minefield, be careful where you step.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:10 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:No. It’s the fact that she tried to shoehorn in 9/11. You have several people, a few in this thread, who acknowledge that her word choice was a bit dumb.

Attempt at scoring points maybe by bringing up such a delicate topic? I mean, politicians do this kind of thing.

It’s possible. Either way she and others should be called out for trying to politicize 9/11
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:10 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:No. It’s the fact that she tried to shoehorn in 9/11. You have several people, a few in this thread, who acknowledge that her word choice was a bit dumb.

Is she wrong saying American Muslims are collectively blamed for 9/11?

But are they now? I know there were some very heated and sad moments for Muslims in the US right after 9/11 but the govt seemed to have intervened. I don’t doubt some Americans think this way but collectively? Are you sure of that?
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:12 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

She did it poorly. For as much as people are yelling "Context" on this one, the context does not help her.

“Far too long we have lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen, and frankly, I’m tired of it, and every single Muslim in this country should be tired of it,” Omar said at the event. “CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties.”

The context still downplays a national tragedy. It was a dumb thing to say and I can't believe she didn't just clarify instead of doubling down with idiocy like this: https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1116683819476750337

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:12 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Is she wrong saying American Muslims are collectively blamed for 9/11?

But are they now? I know there were some very heated and sad moments for Muslims in the US right after 9/11 but the govt seemed to have intervened. I don’t doubt some Americans think this way but collectively? Are you sure of that?

Very few people still blame all American Muslims for 9/11. The most I’ve seen are people not wanting non-American Muslims in because they label all non-American Muslims as terrorists
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

She did it poorly. For as much as people are yelling "Context" on this one, the context does not help her.

“Far too long we have lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen, and frankly, I’m tired of it, and every single Muslim in this country should be tired of it,” Omar said at the event. “CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties.”

The context still downplays a national tragedy. It was a dumb thing to say and I can't believe she didn't just clarify instead of doubling down with idiocy like this: https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1116683819476750337

God she’s an idiot
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:15 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Oh, no doubt. I did a cursory reading and at first I felt like she was saying 9/11 happened because Muslims were losing their civil rights. Mind you, that was just a first reading. I reread it and then saw that no, I was wrong. But it is rather cringey to read.
Slava Ukraini

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:17 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Very few people still blame all American Muslims for 9/11. The most I’ve seen are people not wanting non-American Muslims in because they label all non-American Muslims as terrorists

That’s more or less what I thought. Some do but it doesn’t seem to be collectively.
Slava Ukraini

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:19 pm

Strange, reads more like Omar saying American Muslims were placed under collective suspicion in the wake of 9/11. Kind of like how Japanese Americans were collectively suspected in the wake of Pearl Harbor, thankfully without mass internment although you know the hope of such is a wet dream to many in the U.S.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:30 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Aclion wrote:The context is Ilhan Omar is the Representative of a district with a large Muslim demographic, and has often engaged in dog-whistling by saying antisemitic things and making light of terrorist attacks in such a way as to make it just ambiguous enough for people who agree with it to defend her, while associating with overtly antisemitic people and groups that have committed terrorist attacks; and then shouting about Islamophobia and sexism when she gets called out for her bullshit.

Like you don't know
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:44 pm

Aclion wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Like you don't know

Gormwood wrote:
Northwestinghamshire wrote:"“It’s All About the Benjamins”

I did not know Ben Franklin was a Jew.

"I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country."

Trump criticized for calling Netanyahu 'your prime minister' at Jewish Republican event

Like many Jews, I’ve experienced anti-Semitism. But the Ilhan Omar backlash deeply troubles me

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General