NATION

PASSWORD

Global Warming

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:47 pm

Aeritai wrote:Are we sure the Earth is warming up? Or did you forget about the whole spring snow the United States has been getting.

Senator James Inhofe, is that you?
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Foxfound
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Foxfound » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:09 pm

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not nearly as well-versed in the science as I should be, but from what I have read and seen climate change seems to be a very real thing indeed.

We aren't doing a great job of fighting it, though. The media, at least here in America, tends to either spread poorly-sourced doubt about climate change or make extravagant or alarmist claims about its extent that cause people doubt. Politicians tend to be either dismissive of climate change or demanding we work to change things so fast that we'd probably wreck the economy and wouldn't be able to solve anything. There isn't much voice for a rational middle ground, mostly because that doesn't get views or clicks or attention.
Esternial wrote:
Munkchester wrote:Global warming isn't real.

I'm also not real.

None of this is real.

Wake up.

I've been seeing messages like these on the internet more and more lately and I'm starting to get worried.
IC Name: Ketorushima
Arctic island inhabited by kitsune and other yōkai.
Set about a decade after the world becomes aware of the supernatural. Details on that will come later.
Slowly trying to rework the factbooks and write for this nation again. Sometimes I worry I'm bad at writing but I think I'm getting better

Fjordbjorg
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Fjordbjorg » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:45 am

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Fjordbjorg wrote:natural means it has to happen. It is a cycle, a loop, it gets colder, then warmer. I live in a country which is very cold.
There are many reasons why they are pushing it. They are running out of oil and it's better for them if you waste less. Stop driving your car, they say, flying on their private jets. Also they tell you to have less children to combat global warming and then.. low birthrates! importing humans from overseas..
LEARN to SEE with your eyes wide open. This is just a small piece of the truth.
Look here:
https://i.imgur.com/junUS0x.png

No it doesn't. Fuck nature. This planet is ours.

That is evil to say. You might fuck nature, but soon enough she'll strike back.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:05 am

This shouldn't be a partisan issue. It's in everyone's interest to get off of fossil fuels and cool the planet back down to where it should be via removing enough carbon from the atmosphere. We don't have the means to do this at scale cheaply, but it at least can be done and maybe improved over time.

The reason why climate change denial is so tempting for many people to cling to, is because clean energy costs more to produce and deliver than to continue with the status quo. Solar and wind and etc. is becoming more cost effective than even coal or natural gas. So the situation is improving to some extent, but not fast enough or at a big enough scale to make a difference.

I'd recommend a mass deployment of Klaus Lackner's Artificial Trees. Removes more CO2 than real plants and thus can be thought of as an improvement over nature.

If the world's best chemists figured out how to remove CO2 from the air really fast via some process, and this was combined with a technology like Direct Air Capture that was deployed at a large enough scale, we could definitely go back towards 270 ppm of CO2 within 50 to 100 years of devoting resources to remove excess carbon if we didn't add any more carbon via fossil fuels in the meantime.

Getting to clean energy only is only part of the solution, but a major component. It'd be cleaning up some of the mess we've made from industrialization without necessarily giving up our developed lifestyles.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:14 am

Saiwania wrote:This shouldn't be a partisan issue. It's in everyone's interest to get off of fossil fuels and cool the planet back down to where it should be via removing enough carbon from the atmosphere. We don't have the means to do this at scale cheaply, but it at least can be done and maybe improved over time.

The reason why climate change denial is so tempting for many people to cling to, is because clean energy costs more to produce and deliver than to continue with the status quo. Solar and wind and etc. is becoming more cost effective than even coal or natural gas. So the situation is improving to some extent, but not fast enough or at a big enough scale to make a difference.

I'd recommend a mass deployment of Klaus Lackner's Artificial Trees. Removes more CO2 than real plants and thus can be thought of as an improvement over nature.

If the world's best chemists figured out how to remove CO2 from the air really fast via some process, and this was combined with a technology like Direct Air Capture that was deployed at a large enough scale, we could definitely go back towards 270 ppm of CO2 within 50 to 100 years of devoting resources to remove excess carbon if we didn't add any more carbon via fossil fuels in the meantime.

Getting to clean energy only is only part of the solution, but a major component. It'd be cleaning up some of the mess we've made from industrialization without necessarily giving up our developed lifestyles.

Wind and solar are part, but only part of the solution.
They are too unreliable and too land and resource intensive to provide all we need.

Nuclear is the solution. While not cheap, converting all of our existing fossil to nuclear allows us to do so without destroying millions of acres of land (no additional land is used) and building absurd storage capacity.

Again we could have solved this by 1980.
19 fucking 80!

We could have solved this 39 years ago. But we still can.
We have had the technology. Just we refused to use it.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

New Udonia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 06, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Udonia » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:26 am

Is climate change real?
Yes, you have probably observed the seasons either in real life or on television.

Is climate change anthropogenic?
No, I will explain below.

Climate change is a completely natural process which the planet uses to sustain itself. During the Early Middle Ages the planet experienced a cooling period, one which would continue till the Late Middle Ages. The subsequent warming period would continue till around the 20th century, when the planet would reverse itself again.
Do humans cause global climate change? It all depends on if you believe in rain dances or not. Climate change politics is just a modern re-invention of alleged human-weather control, something which has dominated mythology for ages.

I believe that humans should be investing in methods of preparation for natural climatic cycles, instead of wasting money on geopolitical games.
If our ancestors had invested in legislation to stop precipitation rather than roofs, we wouldn't be here.

You will most likely either strongly agree or disagree with me at this point. However the important thing is that we rationally discuss the manner and not resort to calling those who disagree conspiracy theorists. Two can play the conspiracy theory game, and then where would we be? Divided back into camps, red and blue, slinging insults and emotions at each other in an attempt to punish the other side for failing to believe in a theory.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. - MLKJ
News: The New Udonian Weekly

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:35 am

How to fix GW:

green energy sources (solar wind) nuclear fission

heavy investment in fusion

electric cars

plant trees

Earthbound Immortal Squad
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:40 am

New Udonia wrote:Is climate change real?
Yes, you have probably observed the seasons either in real life or on television.

Climate change is a completely natural process which the planet uses to sustain itself. During the Early Middle Ages the planet experienced a cooling period, one which would continue till the Late Middle Ages. The subsequent warming period would continue till around the 20th century, when the planet would reverse itself again.
Do humans cause global climate change? It all depends on if you believe in rain dances or not. Climate change politics is just a modern re-invention of alleged human-weather control, something which has dominated mythology for ages.

I believe that humans should be investing in methods of preparation for natural climatic cycles, instead of wasting money on geopolitical games.
If our ancestors had invested in legislation to stop precipitation rather than roofs, we wouldn't be here.

You will most likely either strongly agree or disagree with me at this point. However the important thing is that we rationally discuss the manner and not resort to calling those who disagree conspiracy theorists. Two can play the conspiracy theory game, and then where would we be? Divided back into camps, red and blue, slinging insults and emotions at each other in an attempt to punish the other side for failing to believe in a theory.

The Gaia model your talking about right?
Merry Christmas!

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:47 am

High Rise Nation wrote:I believe global warming is happening but we aren't doing much to stop it. In my biology class I learned many changes that are happening to our planet due to global warming. More ice in the north and South Pole is melting. This is affecting the polar bears and many other different species. What are ways we can help our planet?

Well there is a chance but honestly nothing will be done until the last minute or it is too late unfortunately that is an inherent property of human nature you can't change it for most people for example if you were to have a test about what you learnt next month chances are most people will either revise the night before or not at all. If you look around you there are so many examples of this. So that is the harsh answer to your question.
Merry Christmas!

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:47 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:How to fix GW:

green energy sources (solar wind) nuclear fission

heavy investment in fusion

electric cars

plant trees

I think the focus on JUST global warming is a critical mistake though.
The fact is that air pollution does far more than just impacting the carbon cycle.

It also kills you via cancer, lung disease and all.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fool.c ... -fear.aspx

Look how many lives we could save, two million a year just by converting our coal to nuclear.
That is lives lost not because of global warming either.

Dying because of indirect affects through climate change is still dying of course.

But much more abstract than dying from lung cancer.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:49 am

Earthbound immortal squad wrote:
High Rise Nation wrote:I believe global warming is happening but we aren't doing much to stop it. In my biology class I learned many changes that are happening to our planet due to global warming. More ice in the north and South Pole is melting. This is affecting the polar bears and many other different species. What are ways we can help our planet?

Well there is a chance but honestly nothing will be done until the last minute or it is too late unfortunately that is an inherent property of human nature you can't change it for most people for example if you were to have a test about what you learnt next month chances are most people will either revise the night before or not at all. If you look around you there are so many examples of this. So that is the harsh answer to your question.

Yes. Again Nixon had a plan to solve at least air pollution from electric power in the US by 1980.
So clearly we give zero shits about actually doing what we need to do.
Otherwise we would have done it 39 years ago.

The problem is we illogically and in the face of all facts and science think the solution (nuclear power) is somehow worse than dying of lung cancer from air pollution.
Last edited by Novus America on Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:51 am

Novus America wrote:
Earthbound immortal squad wrote:

Yes. Again Nixon had a plan to solve at least air pollution from electric power in the US by 1980.

The problem is we illogically and in the face of all facts and science think the solution (nuclear power) is somehow worse than dying of lung cancer from air pollution.

Why is it always politicians :(
Merry Christmas!

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:00 am

Novus America wrote:Yes. Again Nixon had a plan to solve at least air pollution from electric power in the US by 1980.

I'm skeptical of this because how much would it have cost back then? Surely more expensive than it would be now, because we now have 3D printing, nanotechnology, and etc. that didn't exist back then. I think the Earth would've been in better shape today, if the US had really embraced nuclear energy to the same extent France did after 1945 and oil was used only for cars and coal for the most part, was kept in the ground or used only for steel production and minor heating as opposed to electrical generation.

Coal is said to be the worst fossil fuel overall, that has ever been used; so far as its negative impacts go.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 am

Saiwania wrote:
Novus America wrote:Yes. Again Nixon had a plan to solve at least air pollution from electric power in the US by 1980.

I'm skeptical of this because how much would it have cost back then? Surely more expensive than it would be now, because we now have 3D printing, nanotechnology, and etc. that didn't exist back then. I think the Earth would've been in better shape today, if the US had really embraced nuclear energy to the same extent France did after 1945 and oil was used only for cars and coal for the most part, was kept in the ground or used only for steel production and minor heating as opposed to electrical generation.

It would not be cheap, but if France could do it so could have done it.
And so could we do it now.

It was politics, not money that killed it.
http://environmentalprogress.org/why-cl ... in-crisis/

If we gave nuclear the same subsidies and protection as other sources considered green we would not have the problem. The problem is anti nuclear fanatics deliberately have targeted nuclear for destruction.
Last edited by Novus America on Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:04 am

It's not about believing in rain dances. That is just moronically disingenuous.
Everything is intertwinkled

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2016

Postby Hatterleigh » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:09 am

Get rid of technology
✦ ✦ ✦ The Free Domain of Hatterleigh ✦ ✦ ✦
National News Network: William Botrum entering last days in office - President-elect Rood preparing or term
Overview of Hatterleigh | William Botrum, Hatterleigh's President | Hatterlese Embassy Program | I don't use NS stats.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:12 am

Hatterleigh wrote:Get rid of technology

If you want a riot from half the worlds children/teenagers losing their mobile phones.... Sure why not it'll be fun.
Merry Christmas!

Karu Nadu
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Karu Nadu » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:15 am

Give. Me. Some. Proof.

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:16 am

Karu Nadu wrote:

Give. Me. Some. Proof.

Its snowing in SPRING
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:16 am

Novus America wrote:If we gave nuclear the same subsidies and protection as other sources considered green we would not have the problem. The problem is anti nuclear fanatics deliberately have targeted nuclear for destruction.

Radiation and how to store or get rid of radioactive waste is going to be a problem for any sort of nuclear fission, hence the excessive opposition to nuclear.

It is still a big risk if something goes wrong. Chernobyl and Fukushima happened, so some people are going to consider nuclear energy's risks to outweigh its benefits. Nuclear fusion is said to be perfectly safe, but it's very difficult to get that sort of reaction even started. Maybe one of these days.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte

Karu Nadu
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Karu Nadu » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:18 am

Aeritai wrote:
Karu Nadu wrote:Give. Me. Some. Proof.

Its snowing in SPRING

So? that doesn't change the fact that Bangladesh is sinking.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:22 am

Saiwania wrote:
Novus America wrote:If we gave nuclear the same subsidies and protection as other sources considered green we would not have the problem. The problem is anti nuclear fanatics deliberately have targeted nuclear for destruction.

Radiation and how to store or get rid of radioactive waste is going to be a problem for any sort of nuclear fission, hence the excessive opposition to nuclear.

It is still a big risk if something goes wrong. Chernobyl and Fukushima happened, so some people are going to consider nuclear energy's risks to outweigh its benefits. Nuclear fusion is said to be perfectly safe, but it's very difficult to get that sort of reaction even started. Maybe one of these days.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... lanet/amp/

Also even when it goes wrong it still kills fewer people.
https://ourworldindata.org/what-is-the- ... -of-energy
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... david-king
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... -paid/amp/

The hostility to nuclear power has nothing to do with reality.

And sure better forms of nuclear power like fusion would be great.
But waiting while our current power kills millions when we already have the safest, for an even better version of it is silly. Implement fission now, save millions of lives, save the environment and when fusion becomes viable we switch out nuclear reactors to run on that.

Also nuclear meltdowns can be completely contained with adequate structures.
Three Mile Island proves that.

Fukushima and Chernobyl could have been completely mitigated with a proper containment structure.
Last edited by Novus America on Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:27 am

Aeritai wrote:
Karu Nadu wrote:Give. Me. Some. Proof.

Its snowing in SPRING

Wait. You're actually serious? You truly think global warming is a sham based solely on the fact that snow exists in spring? Oh boy. I suggest you start doing some actual research because you clearly do lot have any grasp on the concept of global warming outside of the name itself.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

New Udonia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 06, 2018

Postby New Udonia » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:31 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:
It's not about believing in rain dances. That is just moronically disingenuous.

Here come the insults. It is so disappointing that nobody is interested in dialectic dialogue.
Remember everyone, just because something was taught in school, doesn't mean it was right.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. - MLKJ
News: The New Udonian Weekly

Wunderstrafanstalt
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Wunderstrafanstalt » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:33 am

Didn't we finally have a complete comprehensive intergovernmental thoroughly-reviewed climate report sometimes ago? And I believe that "peer-reviewed intergovernmental panel" is more trustworthy than, say, my or your obervation. Also afaik they're working on economically plausible approaches to global warming, but it's going to be published in 2021 iirc.

Nuclear is safe, but imo, in the end the war between nuclear and renewables should be determined by market forces. Of course we'll have to switch to solar eventually as we transform into a Level 1 Kardashev scale in ~2119 CE.
Last edited by Wunderstrafanstalt on Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

CFR WUNDERSTRAFANSTALT - LAIRAN UNION
"Ad astra et ultra" - "To the stars and beyond"

14.0 | MT | F17 | $LFD | Kurzgesagt | IC Flag | Flag Patron: Bill Gates

Voiced - Artemsday, 12019-5-7: PT party pledged vote for Kalvar's Green Initiative | PETRAL donated Ł1.1 mil to PT | PT voted against Green Initiative.
Your average lowkey maritime Southeast Asian on NS | C e n t r i s t social liberal | Muslim (secretly atheist, don't tell mom) | RK for President 2024, Musk for Planetary Emperor 2100
Just refer to me as "WS" instead of that long-ass name

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General