NATION

PASSWORD

Mercy To Your Enemy?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you do?

Option 1
45%
Option 2
16%
Option 3
25%
Option 4 (please explain)
14%

Total votes : 208

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:26 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Ok but what's the point of punishment if you forgive her?

I'm not sure that you understand what "forgiveness" means in a Christian context. As I said, forgivness is not the same as a reprieve. Obviously, the reason for imprisoning a known mass murderer is to prevent her from killing anyone else.

Ok, now it makes sense.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Excelsion
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Excelsion » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:27 am

Kragholm Free States wrote:
Excelsion wrote:snip

what the actual fuck

Lol

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:28 am

Excelsion wrote:Controlled by magic or not, you killed thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands people with your own hands. Are you absolved from those actions just because you had no control over them, just like a mentally ill person in our world?

Considering she used mind control on you, yes, you are absolved.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:29 am

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Forgiveness is not the same thing as a reprieve. The question in the OP is whether you kill your enemy for the sake of revenge or justice, or pass her over into the hands of the lawful authorities in accordance with due process. It's stated that in this scenario, she will spend the rest of her life under imprisonment, as is right and proper.

Ok but what's the point of punishment if you forgive her?
Krasny-Volny wrote:
No.

I am against me punishing my enemies personally for the sake of vengeance.

Romans 12:17-19 says, "Repay no one for evil...do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written: 'Vengeance is mine, I will repay,' says the Lord."

I have to respect the decision of the courts if they sentence my enemy. I have to respect respect the judgment of God if He exacts vengeance on her. But I cannot hate my enemy or avenge myself on her.

So you're just passing off judgement to the authorities then. But if you forgive her anyway then what's the point in turning her in. Then again, that wasn't what you said, so would you just forgive her and leave her alone?

Matthew 22:17 - "Tell us therefore, what do you think? Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar or not?"

The answer in Matthew 22:21 -"Render therefore to Caesar what are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's."

Render unto the authorities the judgment which is theirs to pronounce.

Render forgiveness in accordance with the commandment of Christ.
Krastecexport. Cheap armaments for the budget minded, sold with discretion.

Earthbound Immortal Squad
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:29 am

Kill them it's the only chance to possibly put right all the damage.
Merry Christmas!

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:30 am

Krasny-Volny wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Ok but what's the point of punishment if you forgive her?

So you're just passing off judgement to the authorities then. But if you forgive her anyway then what's the point in turning her in. Then again, that wasn't what you said, so would you just forgive her and leave her alone?

Matthew 22:17 - "Tell us therefore, what do you think? Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar or not?"

The answer in Matthew 22:21 -"Render therefore to Caesar what are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's."

Render unto the authorities the judgment which is theirs to pronounce.

Render forgiveness in accordance with the commandment of Christ.

Thank you for the explanation. I understand now.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:34 am

Excelsion wrote:
Esternial wrote:Would be shocking for her, I can imagine, she sounds as dense as the population density of Mumbai.

Pragmatically speaking it doesnt make a difference whether you kill her or not. The world will still hate magic users, now even more than before and magic users will still foster hatred. While killing her is the obvious choice, it won't change the grander picture and at some point, history will foolishly repeat, with other chess pieces.
Also what about you. Controlled by magic or not, you killed thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands people with your own hands. Are you absolved from those actions just because you had no control over them, just like a mentally ill person in our world?
Now some people could argue that Annie was mentally ill
too, does that mean she is absolved from killing?

Its all not that simple. Also, I think those hitler comparisons are rather distasteful. Hitler had a goal and hatred for no justifiable reason. And he killed people because of different ngenetics. Annie just had burning hatred for anything and everthing. She killed her own kind too, a lot of them at that.

Given that YOU are the one with the biggest stick in this scenario yes. Unless of course you have some sort of self harm complex and decide not to grant your self absolution. Weird but like to each his own.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Excelsion
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Excelsion » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:36 am

Purpelia wrote:
Excelsion wrote:
Pragmatically speaking it doesnt make a difference whether you kill her or not. The world will still hate magic users, now even more than before and magic users will still foster hatred. While killing her is the obvious choice, it won't change the grander picture and at some point, history will foolishly repeat, with other chess pieces.
Also what about you. Controlled by magic or not, you killed thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands people with your own hands. Are you absolved from those actions just because you had no control over them, just like a mentally ill person in our world?

Its all not that simple. Also, I think those hitler comparisons are rather distasteful. Hitler had a goal and hatred for no justifiable reason. And he killed people because of different ngenetics. Annie just had burning hatred for anything and everthing. She killed her own kind too, a lot of them at that.

Given that YOU are the one with the biggest stick in this scenario yes. Unless of course you have some sort of self harm complex and decide not to grant your self absolution. Weird but like to each his own.

So in short - "Might makes right" - is what you say?

Umpus
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Umpus » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:16 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Umpus wrote:
why the fvck is she doing this anyway lol

Her actions are in part motivated by a desire for revenge against humanity for mistreating her during her childhood for being a witch.

would she not just kill the bullys and move on?
Liriena wrote:No, you see, T_D seriously talking about killing Muslims, immigrants, "degenerates" and cops is free speech. But when a leftist subreddit jokes about wedgies and milkshakes, that's horrifying advocacy for violence and it cannot stand.
Duvniask wrote:One apparently can't criticize the country one lives in, or, God forbid, want to better it.
The Huskar Social Union wrote:The left does this and the left does that

The left blahgalaghalag and the Left Halghalghalg

THE LEFT Alahahhaafhg
A 16 civilization, according to this index.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:24 pm

Umpus wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Her actions are in part motivated by a desire for revenge against humanity for mistreating her during her childhood for being a witch.

would she not just kill the bullys and move on?

Hate isn't always rational.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:33 pm

Excelsion wrote:
Esternial wrote:Would be shocking for her, I can imagine, she sounds as dense as the population density of Mumbai.

That is quite frankly pure bullshit. Mind control means you have no control over your actions what so ever. You did not make the choice to kill people. A mentally ill person did make that choice.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Munkchester
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Munkchester » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:39 pm

I marry her.

wait, that's another thread
MUNKCESTRIAN REPUBLIC
Geordie city-state

Pro: Levellers, Agreement of the People
Anti: Grandees, Royalists, Oliver Cromwell

Excelsion
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Excelsion » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:39 pm

Well then we agree to disagree.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:41 pm

Excelsion wrote:Well then we agree to disagree.

If your talking to me well then I want you to explain how the hell someone is responsible for something they did not choose to do and were made to do by someone controlling their body and mind.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:43 pm

Andsed wrote:
Excelsion wrote:Well then we agree to disagree.

If your talking to me well then I want you to explain how the hel* someone is responsible for something they did not choose to do and were made to do by someone controlling their body and mind.

^This. There is no debate on this here. You were forced out of control of your own body by someone else. There is no "Well I could still control myself". No you can't. Excelsion, you don't know how mind control works if yiu think that someone still has control of their body.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

Umpus
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Umpus » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:44 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Umpus wrote:would she not just kill the bullys and move on?

Hate isn't always rational.

sooooooooooo...she is literally insane? :eyebrow:
Liriena wrote:No, you see, T_D seriously talking about killing Muslims, immigrants, "degenerates" and cops is free speech. But when a leftist subreddit jokes about wedgies and milkshakes, that's horrifying advocacy for violence and it cannot stand.
Duvniask wrote:One apparently can't criticize the country one lives in, or, God forbid, want to better it.
The Huskar Social Union wrote:The left does this and the left does that

The left blahgalaghalag and the Left Halghalghalg

THE LEFT Alahahhaafhg
A 16 civilization, according to this index.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:46 pm

Excelsion wrote:

It would make a difference for me. Ding dong the witch is gone.

Am I absolved from my actions because I was magically mind-controlled? I wouldn't say so, but I wouldn't accept being punished for those actions. If people try to kill me, I'll defend myself.

I'd probably follow the example of Mads Mikkelson in Polar.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Umpus wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Hate isn't always rational.

Uh no she just has an irrational hatred of a group of people. Those kind people are not uncommon we call them raciest.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:51 pm

Umpus wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Hate isn't always rational.

Infected Mushroom wrote:In the meantime, Witch Queen Annie consolidates her control over Europe. She uses a large amount of her magic to create and summon a large army of dragons, wraiths, and war goblins; the largest in history. Using this large powerful dark army, she starts burning and invading entire nations. Many towns are incinerated by magical fire and millions are killed.

Of course she's insane. Either that or just a very murderous person.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:50 pm

Excelsion wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Given that YOU are the one with the biggest stick in this scenario yes. Unless of course you have some sort of self harm complex and decide not to grant your self absolution. Weird but like to each his own.

So in short - "Might makes right" - is what you say?

Not might, power. Although admittedly in this particular case the one stems from the other.
Last edited by Purpelia on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:16 pm

Andsed wrote:Those kind people are not uncommon we call them raciest.

Just how I like them ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Who cares? She lost. Worse, she got on my bad side and angered me. She is literally in luck that she is a threat to me as long as she lives so she has to die quickly.

Excelsion
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Excelsion » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:22 pm

Andsed wrote:
Umpus wrote:sooooooooooo...she is literally insane? :eyebrow:

Uh no she just has an irrational hatred of a group of people. Those kind people are not uncommon we call them raciest.

Dont throw words like racist around when you seemingly have no idea what it means. Not everyone and everthing related to hate is racist, sexist or hitler.

Excelsion
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Excelsion » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:26 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Andsed wrote:If your talking to me well then I want you to explain how the hel* someone is responsible for something they did not choose to do and were made to do by someone controlling their body and mind.

^This. There is no debate on this here. You were forced out of control of your own body by someone else. There is no "Well I could still control myself". No you can't. Excelsion, you don't know how mind control works if yiu think that someone still has control of their body.

I understand what mind control means. Nonwithstanding its still your body acting and murdering.

Lets imagine you have multiple personality disorder. If your 2nd persona murdered people your body would still go to jail, even if you, the first persona is in power after murdering again.
It is you who doesnt really get or tries to get my point.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:44 pm

Excelsion wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:^This. There is no debate on this here. You were forced out of control of your own body by someone else. There is no "Well I could still control myself". No you can't. Excelsion, you don't know how mind control works if yiu think that someone still has control of their body.

I understand what mind control means. Nonwithstanding its still your body acting and murdering.

Lets imagine you have multiple personality disorder. If your 2nd persona murdered people your body would still go to jail, even if you, the first persona is in power after murdering again.
It is you who doesnt really get or tries to get my point.

It's not the same at all. There the different personalities are still an aspect of your greater whole where as here the force compelling you to do these things is entirely external. They are of you, this is not.

A better analogy would be a car crash. Say you were driving on the street when suddenly the guy behind you slams into your car forcing you off the road and into a pedestrian. Is it really you who ran that guy over?
Last edited by Purpelia on Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General