NATION

PASSWORD

Iran's attempted terrorist attacks on the U.S. and Europe

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Manokan Republic
Minister

Founded: Dec 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Manokan Republic » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:03 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
It's just going to be the Iraq war but as hard as the Afghanistan war.

Yay. More money and blood spend on not uniteing earth's governments via the UNPA and colonizing space.

Honestly Iraq could have gone well. We just f*cked it up badly.

But yeah, I may be staunchly Anti-Iran and Pro-Israel, but that war would be hell and a disaster.

WW3 would just be the tip of the iceberg of potential disastrous implications, even without WW3 it would be a horrible idea.

Keep in mind I want Iran to have a revolution. This just...no...this is a horrible idea....

The idea the Iraq war ended miserably is more of a myth than fact. When I ask people, by what metric did it get worse, most people can't tell you, it's just a general idea-of-an-idea that it got "bad" or "destabilized". I wrote up a thing on this a while ago, but the gist of it was, that Iraq was destabilizing, and then we invaded. Under Saddam's rule, Iraq was dominated by a highly oppressive and violent regime, who is believed to be responsible for the deaths of at least 500,000 people, and with the continued discoveries of mass graves possibly up to a million. Nearly 4.5 million refugees were created and millions more were left without food and water as the Iraq military deliberately shut off their water and electricity, and isolated Kurdish areas.

The U.S. invaded Iraq on March 20th, 2003, long after most of the horrific problems of Iraq had occurred. In 2002, Saddam had released virtually all the prisoners of the country, letting rapists, murderers, violent criminals and even terrorists roam the streets of his country. [1][2] The country's electricity had dropped from a 9300 megawatt capacity in 1990 to 3300 by early 2003 before the U.S. invasion, nearly a third, and rose to a 13,000 megawatt capacity as of 2016, after the U.S. intervention. [3][4] Saddam selectively cut off power to groups he was attempting to murder, such as the Kurds, and left them without food, water and electricity in a barren desert that was almost impossible to survive in without. Access to clean water had been reduced dramatically, and in 2004 only approximately 45% of rural areas had access to clean water and 96% in urban areas, compared to 77% in rural areas and 98% in urban areas in 2012, with a dramatic improvement in the quality of the water as well, particularly in regards to salt content, as well. [5][6] The country's GDP dropped abysmally from around 180 billion dollars a year in 1990 to almost zero by 2001, a full two years before the U.S. lead global invasion, and has since risen to between 180 and 230 billion per year as of 2010 and 2018, a nearly 1000% increase from the preceding years. [7][8] The country was destabilizing, and Iraq was encouraging it, by releasing prisoners, turning off the power, and generally murdering thousands of innocent civilians. Without an outside force to stabilize the region, it would have collapsed, necessitating an intervention and an other-throw of the existing Saddam government at the time. This was before any invasion had occurred, and after the invasion, by virtually every metric, the country improved dramatically, particularly in regards to stabilization.
Last edited by Manokan Republic on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manokan Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manokan Republic » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:05 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Iran is a shithole, but I see no need to escalate with them.

They are escalating with us, which is the problem.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:06 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Let's not invade. I really doubt that our third attempt will magically succeed. We'd just destabalize the region, just like our previous war did.

I'd argue the failings were structural and strategic, not inherent.

That said yeah, Iran is too risky a target, no WW3 plz.

Remember millennium challenge which heavily showed that the US forces would be devastated on a scale not imagined since Vietnam before the military changed the conditions of the scenario until it was impossible for Iran to win? The US has no experienced leadership this war would go very poorly.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Manokan Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manokan Republic » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:11 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:I'd argue the failings were structural and strategic, not inherent.

That said yeah, Iran is too risky a target, no WW3 plz.

Remember millennium challenge which heavily showed that the US forces would be devastated on a scale not imagined since Vietnam before the military changed the conditions of the scenario until it was impossible for Iran to win? The US has no experienced leadership this war would go very poorly.

This is doubtful, and the supposed battle criteria was with teleporting suicide bombing vehicles and a massive delay in the U.S. operational response, as in they would just sit there and let thousands of suicide boats attack us. It's unlikely that the U.S. would lose to Iran, especially if it was the one doing the invading. We would immediately destroy the government like in Iraq, but an insurgency would persist for several decades, also like Iraq.
Last edited by Manokan Republic on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:11 pm

Time to spread some FREEDOMTM

Well, preferably not but the current administration is volatile and needs something to boost re-election chances.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:14 pm

Manokan Republic wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Iran is a shithole, but I see no need to escalate with them.

They are escalating with us, which is the problem.

I have my doubts on some of those terrorist attacks truly being from Iran. One of your links involves an accusation that they're in cahoots with al-Qaeda, which views Shia muslims - which Iran is compsed of - as apostates. Again, I have my doubts.

Shrive
Envoy

Founded: Jan 04, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Shrive » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:15 pm

If Iran is a terrorist state, then the US military is a full-blown Crimson Spider evil organization who just want to massacre people indiscriminately.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:15 pm

Manokan Republic wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Remember millennium challenge which heavily showed that the US forces would be devastated on a scale not imagined since Vietnam before the military changed the conditions of the scenario until it was impossible for Iran to win? The US has no experienced leadership this war would go very poorly.

This is doubtful, and the supposed battle criteria was with teleporting suicide bombing vehicles and a massive delay in the U.S. operational response, as in they would just sit there and let thousands of suicide boats attack us. It's unlikely that the U.S. would lose to Iran, especially if it was the one doing the invading. We would immediately destroy the government like in Iraq, but an insurgency would persist for several decades, also like Iraq.

"Teleporting". It's called Guerilla Warfare. The Iranians are not as stupid as Sadaam they're not going to fight direct battles with inferior tanks and equipment the whole nation will go guerilla. They have international news and the internet there, they have the ability to learn from the mistakes of Sadaam and to learn from the successes of the resistance in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Manokan Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manokan Republic » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:18 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Manokan Republic wrote:They are escalating with us, which is the problem.

I have my doubts on some of those terrorist attacks truly being from Iran. One of your links involves an accusation that they're in cahoots with al-Qaeda, which views Shia muslims - which Iran is compsed of - as apostates. Again, I have my doubts.

The recent attacks were in 2018, with the previous attacks being questionable, and this one being concrete. I included the U.S.S. Cole bombings and the embassy bombings as a source to indicate that where as in the past there was only a loose affiliation with the terrorist organization, the recent attack was directly from Iran, which is obviously different. Iran was only loosely affiliated with Al-Qaeda, and they were not close allies, although Al-Qaeda was allowed to operate in Iran for a short while. They changed their tune after the 9/11 attack and have been embroiled in a conflict with ISIS as well.

It would be more like the Russian and American alliance in WWII, sort of a begrudging thing that ended later on. In the case of Hezbollah or Revolutionary forces directly committing attacks in foreign countries, this is clearly more than just a hobbled alliance, and something more substantial.
Last edited by Manokan Republic on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Greater Germany
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 24, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Greater Germany » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:20 pm

Manokan Republic wrote:I was scrolling through the list of thwarted terrorist attacks the other day, and saw a number of terrorist attacks listed as being committed or attempted by the Iranian government.

"French government publicly accuses the "Islamic Republic of Iran" of plotting a major bomb attack targeting a large conference of an Iranian exile group that met on 30 June in Paris. France seizes assets of two diplomats, German police arrest one diplomat to extradite to Belgium to face terrorism charges there related to this incident. Iran denies all charges."

"Copenhagen, Denmark: 30 Oct 2018 - Denmark publicly accuses the "Islamic Republic of Iran" of preparing a political assassination on their soil. This incident triggered a major nationwide manhunt for the hit squad including closures of key international bridges to Sweden. Denmark recalls their ambassador from Iran to protest Iranian terrorism activity on their soil."

By "a number" you mean "two" alleged attempts? Just clarifying. It appears the targets were Iranian political enemies. Would you consider it terrorism when America drone strikes its political enemies in foreign nations?
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
Not a NatSoc (Nazi) nation, am influenced as a July 20 Widerstand state with a constitutional monarchy. Previously used Wirmer's "Resistance" flag but found my current one and like it.

Manokan Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manokan Republic » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:21 pm

Greater Germany wrote:
Manokan Republic wrote:I was scrolling through the list of thwarted terrorist attacks the other day, and saw a number of terrorist attacks listed as being committed or attempted by the Iranian government.

"French government publicly accuses the "Islamic Republic of Iran" of plotting a major bomb attack targeting a large conference of an Iranian exile group that met on 30 June in Paris. France seizes assets of two diplomats, German police arrest one diplomat to extradite to Belgium to face terrorism charges there related to this incident. Iran denies all charges."

"Copenhagen, Denmark: 30 Oct 2018 - Denmark publicly accuses the "Islamic Republic of Iran" of preparing a political assassination on their soil. This incident triggered a major nationwide manhunt for the hit squad including closures of key international bridges to Sweden. Denmark recalls their ambassador from Iran to protest Iranian terrorism activity on their soil."

By "a number" you mean "two" alleged attempts? Just clarifying. It appears the targets were Iranian political enemies. Would you consider it terrorism when America drone strikes its political enemies in foreign nations?

The U.S. drone strikes enemy combatants, we don't just assassinate heads of state or politicians, which is why Putin and Kim Jong ill are not dead right now. Yes if the U.S. tried to attack opposing political figures in foreign territory, I imagine it would be received in the same way.

The three proven instances were in Albania, France and Denmark, but three thwarted attacks is only what we know, with there likely being more if they are already this brazen.
Last edited by Manokan Republic on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:21 pm

Trump loves to escalate apparently:

Iran's Revolutionary Guard Designated a Terrorist Organization; Pentagon Opposed but Trump Overruled Them
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:24 pm

Zurkerx wrote:

Iran's Revolutionary Guard Designated a Terrorist Organization; Pentagon Opposed but Trump Overruled Them

Trump has managed to turn the Dunning-Kruger Effect into a health condition.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Greater Germany
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 24, 2013

Postby Greater Germany » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:25 pm

Manokan Republic wrote:
Greater Germany wrote:By "a number" you mean "two" alleged attempts? Just clarifying. It appears the targets were Iranian political enemies. Would you consider it terrorism when America drone strikes its political enemies in foreign nations?

The U.S. drone strikes enemy combatants, we don't just assassinate heads of state or politicians, which is why Putin and Kim Jong ill are not dead right now. Yes if the U.S. tried to attack opposing political figures in foreign territory, I imagine it would be received in the same way.

The three proven instances were in Albania, France and Denmark, but three thwarted attacks is only what we know, with there likely being more if they are already this brazen.

Can you cite the proven instances? I didn't see them in your OP.

And I laugh at the assertion the US only drone strikes enemy combatants. Or at the idea the US would try to drone strike Putin. Just so you know, Kim Jong-il *is* dead right now.
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
Not a NatSoc (Nazi) nation, am influenced as a July 20 Widerstand state with a constitutional monarchy. Previously used Wirmer's "Resistance" flag but found my current one and like it.

Manokan Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manokan Republic » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:28 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Manokan Republic wrote:This is doubtful, and the supposed battle criteria was with teleporting suicide bombing vehicles and a massive delay in the U.S. operational response, as in they would just sit there and let thousands of suicide boats attack us. It's unlikely that the U.S. would lose to Iran, especially if it was the one doing the invading. We would immediately destroy the government like in Iraq, but an insurgency would persist for several decades, also like Iraq.

"Teleporting". It's called Guerilla Warfare. The Iranians are not as stupid as Sadaam they're not going to fight direct battles with inferior tanks and equipment the whole nation will go guerilla. They have international news and the internet there, they have the ability to learn from the mistakes of Sadaam and to learn from the successes of the resistance in Iraq and Afghanistan.

There is a time delay even in Guerrilla attacks, and the U.S. after the first attack would put it's vehicles on high alert and attack any vehicles targeting them.

The only reason why the U.S. didn't fire on the suicide bombing ship in the U.S.S. cole attack was in fear of accidentally killing civilians, with it being disguised as a fishing boat. The American sailors feared the suicide bombers were fishermen who had accidentally strayed too close to their ship, so they didn't fire upon it since it would be immoral. After the first attack though, the surprise strategy of relying on the U.S.'s morality and attempt to avoid civilian damage would go out the window, as they would be aware the iranians were disguising their attacks, and they would just shoot at anything that got too close. It's a strategy that only works once, and couldn't be done all over the world all at once instantly, and certainly something like this would never make it to a carrier, only one of the peripheral vehicles on the outside at best.

Terrorist attacks work because they're done at random and the terrorist hide among the civilian population, but once it's known you are under attack, the surprise advantage is gone. Hence why the strategy would never work in a full scale war. The only thing I see being possible is sneaking across the U.S. mexican border and coming in to the U.S. to wreak havoc, which might pull some of our forces out of Iran and back to our home country. But given that only 10-20% of our military would likely be deployed in iran, or at most half, this wouldn't be as much of an issue. With good border security, sneaking across wouldn't be viable, although currently half a million impoverished immigrants find their way across, so probably Iranian military forces could.

The Galactic Liberal Democracy
Minister

Founded: Jun 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Galactic Liberal Democracy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:29 pm

Manokan Republic wrote:Kim Jong ill [is] not dead right now.

I’m not feeling so well.
NOT STORMTROOPERS
Cossack Khanate wrote:This shall forever be known as World War Sh*t: Newark Aggression. Now if I see one more troop deployed, I will call on the force of all the Hindu gods to reverse time and wipe your race of the face of the planet. Cease.

The Black Party wrote:(TBP kamikaze's into all 99999999999 nukes before they hit our territory because we just have that many pilots ready to die for dah blak regime, we also counter-attack into your nation with our entire population of 45 million because this RP allows it.)

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Galatic Liberal Democracy short-circuits all of NS with FACTS and LOGIC

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:30 pm

Zurkerx wrote:

While he does that, he plays footsie with the Saudis, who are quite murky when it comes to terrorism. The Saudis even provide funds to spread an ideology that causes terrorism. Our foreign policy is out there with unneeded escalations, and questionable allies.
Last edited by LiberNovusAmericae on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manokan Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manokan Republic » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:33 pm

Greater Germany wrote:
Manokan Republic wrote:The U.S. drone strikes enemy combatants, we don't just assassinate heads of state or politicians, which is why Putin and Kim Jong ill are not dead right now. Yes if the U.S. tried to attack opposing political figures in foreign territory, I imagine it would be received in the same way.

Can you cite the proven instances? I didn't see them in your OP.

And I laugh at the assertion the US only drone strikes enemy combatants. Or at the idea the US would try to drone strike Putin. Just so you know, Kim Jong-il *is* dead right now.

Not from a drone strike. And name a single instance where we have gone after political opponents and assassinated them drones; you can't, because it doesn't exist. The fact you laugh at the idea is just a sign of your own ignorance on the issue. xP

In the source mentions the attempted attacks in the aggregate. There are a number of sources, but here are some new sources for Albania, Denmark, and France [1], with there being overlap and the articles mentioning the other attacks.

Kaystein
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaystein » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:36 pm

So OP is quoting half-year old news articles, and expecting something to happen in the future because of what happened in the past? The USA and Europe already made changes to defenses no doubt. Second, a full-on shooting-war would be disproportionate to the attacks. Third, the CIA and European equivalents are conducting counter-operations of their own against a belligerent nation like Iran. Don't expect any major changes in your daily life.
Last edited by Kaystein on Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:39 pm

This isn't surprising. Iran has long been a massive supporter of global Islamic terrorism.

I don't know what will come of this other than sanctions, maybe, and increased counter intelligence activities against Iran. Those in this thread who are handwringing about war are being melodramatic.
Last edited by Scomagia on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insert trite farewell here

Manokan Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manokan Republic » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:40 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:

While he does that, he plays footsie with the Saudis, who are quite murky when it comes to terrorism. The Saudis even provide funds to spread an ideology that causes terrorism. Our foreign policy is out there with unneeded escalations, and questionable allies.

All of Islam has terrorists within it, not just Wahhabism. It is not a unique ideology that leads to terrorism. Hezbollah is Shia, the Taliban are Shia, and Al-Qeada and ISIS are Sunni. There is no specific sect of Islam responsible for terrorism, and to suggest that merely having the same religion as one terrorist organization, which is not even the biggest (Hezbollah and the Taliban are larger than Al-Qaeda), is quite absurd. Saying they give funds to people with the same religion as them... is pretty normal. To suggest that the entire religion and ideology causes terrorism as a blanket statement would be like saying Catholicism spreads terrorism because of the IRA who were catholic. It doesn't implicate the entire religion, and the huffington post also says that violence is justified against Trump.

New Udonia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 06, 2018

Postby New Udonia » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:40 pm

Americans believed that the RMS Lusitania was an innocent passenger line.
Americans were told that Vietnam initiated hostilities in the Gulf of Tonkin. Turns out it was all a false flag.
We were told Gaddafi was a horrible dictator. Turns out his nation was Africa's last chance for stability, targeted simply because he dared to exile a certain international banking family.
We were recently told Assad was a child killing monster. That was until the gas "victims" appeared alive in Europe, disavowing the smear campaign by the White Helmets.
Now we are told that Iran is trying to attack NATO.

I hope nobody falls for this crap again.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. - MLKJ
News: The New Udonian Weekly

Manokan Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manokan Republic » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:41 pm

Kaystein wrote:So OP is quoting half-year old news articles, and expecting something to happen in the future because of what happened in the past?

Nothing's going to change. Because it already did, and nobody really noticed. The USA and Europe already made changes to defenses no doubt. Second, a full-on shooting-war would be disproportionate to the attacks. Third, the CIA and euopean equivalents are conducting counter-operations of their own against a belligerent nation like Iran. Again, don't expect any major changes in your daily life.

What's changed is that Trump recently acknowledged that the Iranian government was responsible and labeled their groups as terrorist organizations while hilariously, Iran labeled our groups as terrorist organizations in the middle east. We are seeing signs of escalation, but that doesn't mean full blown war, just likely a smaller more muted proxy conflict. The Vietnam war was a proxy conflict between the U.S. and Russia, and it was rather large, killing millions. A smaller scale war doesn't mean that it won't be a big deal.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:44 pm

New Udonia wrote:Americans believed that the RMS Lusitania was an innocent passenger line.
Americans were told that Vietnam initiated hostilities in the Gulf of Tonkin. Turns out it was all a false flag.
We were told Gaddafi was a horrible dictator. Turns out his nation was Africa's last chance for stability, targeted simply because he dared to exile a certain international banking family.
We were recently told Assad was a child killing monster. That was until the gas "victims" appeared alive in Europe, disavowing the smear campaign by the White Helmets.
Now we are told that Iran is trying to attack NATO.

I hope nobody falls for this crap again.

Can the melodrama. No one is going to war over this.
Insert trite farewell here

Yusseria
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Yusseria » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:45 pm

I mean, the entire Iranian government is pretty much a terrorist organization.
Yusseria - The Prussia of NationStates
There is nothing wrong with Islamaphobia

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General