NATION

PASSWORD

The Agnostic Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which Type of Agnosticism Do You Believe ?

Weak Agnosticism
50%
Strong Agnosticism
22%
Apathetic agnosticism
28%

Total votes : 18

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:32 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:I have a jar full of M&Ms. Someone claims that there are an even number of M&Ms.I say I do not believe them. That does not mean I believe there are an odd number of M&Ms. Same thing with a god. Someone claims there is a god,I say I do not believe them. That does not mean I think that a god does not exist. An atheist is someone in the position to say I do not believe you when you claim a god exists. Don't say exactly when I am disagreeing with you.

If someone claims that there are an even number of M&Ms, and you don’t believe them and they ask why. What is your response?

Because I have no reason to think there is an even number of M&Ms. Tell me why you think there is an even number of M&Ms and maybe you will convince me that there are an even number of M&Ms. Until you do convince me though, I have no reason to think the number is even (or odd).
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:35 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:If someone claims that there are an even number of M&Ms, and you don’t believe them and they ask why. What is your response?

Because I have no reason to think there is an even number of M&Ms. Tell me why you think there is an even number of M&Ms and maybe you will convince me that there are an even number of M&Ms. Until you do convince me though, I have no reason to think the number is even (or odd).

Sounds more strong agnostic to be honest. If you don’t believe either that god exists or that he doesnt, isn’t that agnosticism?
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:43 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Because I have no reason to think there is an even number of M&Ms. Tell me why you think there is an even number of M&Ms and maybe you will convince me that there are an even number of M&Ms. Until you do convince me though, I have no reason to think the number is even (or odd).

Sounds more strong agnostic to be honest. If you don’t believe either that god exists or that he doesnt, isn’t that agnosticism?

Agnosticism is about whether it is possible to determine if a god exists. I don't actively think there is no gods, but until evidence has been provided that a god exists I do not believe one does. Similarly for the M&Ms until evidence is provided that there are an even number of M&Ms I do not think there are an even number of M&Ms.

I will give another analogy. In courtroom, you are not determining the innocence of a person, rather you are determining their guilt. You can rule they are guilty if there is sufficient evidence, or not guilty if there is not sufficient evidence. A ruling of not guilty however is not the same as determining that the person is innocent, just that there was not sufficient evidence to say they are guilty.

Atheism looks at the "guilt" of existing. A theist claims that gods are "guilty" of existing. I say provide your evidence, and if there is sufficient good evidence I will believe that the god is "guilty" of existing. With insufficient evidence provided though, I have to rule "not guilty" of existing, although that does not mean I think the god is "innocent" of existing. Included in the not guilty of existing ruling though can be those who think a god is "innocent" of existing.

A more accurate label for me is either a weak agnostic atheist or maybe even an apathetic agnostic atheist.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just A Little though

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:Exactly a belief that believes there is no god.

I have a jar full of M&Ms. Someone claims that there are an even number of M&Ms.I say I do not believe them. That does not mean I believe there are an odd number of M&Ms. Same thing with a god. Someone claims there is a god,I say I do not believe them. That does not mean I think that a god does not exist. An atheist is someone in the position to say I do not believe you when you claim a god exists. Don't say exactly when I am disagreeing with you.

M&M counts are verifiable. The existence or lack there of a God is not.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:32 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:I have a jar full of M&Ms. Someone claims that there are an even number of M&Ms.I say I do not believe them. That does not mean I believe there are an odd number of M&Ms. Same thing with a god. Someone claims there is a god,I say I do not believe them. That does not mean I think that a god does not exist. An atheist is someone in the position to say I do not believe you when you claim a god exists. Don't say exactly when I am disagreeing with you.

M&M counts are verifiable. The existence or lack there of a God is not.

That would depend on the god.
Just A Little though

Kingdom of Azea
Civilian

Founded: Feb 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kingdom of Azea » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:07 am

When I came out to my mother as agnostic, not only did she respond that she'd accept and support me, She's also gonna buy me Why I am an agnostic by Robert G Ingersoll when I asked if she would get it for me.

Knowing how important my mom is to me, I have every reason in the world to be happy in purest form.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:03 pm

I'm agnostic to the concept of a god or higher power as a whole. When it comes to specific gods of this world like the god of Abraham, I'm a strong atheist insofar as I feel as certain that god is an invention of man as much as Zeus and Thor. But I consider that there may be a being or entity beyond our understanding similar to what people call "God." What such a being or entity might be, who's to say? It could be an alien race far more advanced than us, an AI, a force we've yet to come across.

I figure we have still barely scratched the surface of understanding and that some knowledge is just beyond our brain capacity. We have a limited amount of space inside our skulls and we're limited by our senses too - you can't teach a dog nuclear physics nor can you make a dog perceive the color red no matter how intelligent the dog is. To what else is out there, the most brilliant humans to ever live may seem no smarter than a border collie. Or something might be so far beyond us that it does not even think humans are much different than ants.

It's a matter of probability that we are nowhere near close to understanding the whole of existence. If human knowledge was represented by a number line from 1 to one million, it may be that the discovery that the Earth is round and orbits around the sun was a 1 and all the laws of physics we know today amount to 2.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:14 pm

The Archregimancy wrote:I'm really not sure what to make of this thread....

It comes up every now and then and quickly disappears because there isn't really anything to talk about.
Just A Little though

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:48 pm

I’m mostly an apathetic agnostic. I don’t know if there is or isn’t a deity/s out there. And if they are, they may be too occupied or uninterested in us to reveal themselves. Life is full enough for me that I don’t have time or desire to wonder about an afterlife or about gods. This is not to say that others are wasting their time if they do wonder about these. I just don’t myself.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:56 pm

I see that people are asserting their definition of atheism/agnosticism without any foundation.

Business as usual as one would assume.
It's fine to have an opinion but it kinda pointless to enforce your opinion on others if you have no proof of them.

At least regarding theism and such there's some form of excuse. :P

Anyway: Under the OP's schema i would be a "Moderate" agnostic.
#NSTransparency

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:18 pm

Uiiop wrote:I see that people are asserting their definition of atheism/agnosticism without any foundation.

It's fine to have an opinion but it kinda pointless to enforce your opinion on others

It's almost as if this is a debate forum. :o

...if you have no proof of them.

Then you're basically denying that there should be any religious threads at all.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:16 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Uiiop wrote:I see that people are asserting their definition of atheism/agnosticism without any foundation.

It's fine to have an opinion but it kinda pointless to enforce your opinion on others

It's almost as if this is a debate forum. :o

...if you have no proof of them.

Then you're basically denying that there should be any religious threads at all.

Tbf there's an impilct "or" there that's not shut up.

They could give any reasoning on why their definitions are correct other than "If i just show it to you you'll see it's correct."

Also you seem to have missed the part where i said any religious threads have better reasons to debate than say "All secular people are one!" "You're just trying to turn me anti-theist!" and "LOL You can't disprove god right! Your schema is just to give leeway for your doubts."

Those are just examples mind. Mind reading and generalization is at least something more than mere assertion of a claim but not by much.
Last edited by Uiiop on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#NSTransparency

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:56 am

I am glad that the agnostics are 50% weak :hug:

Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:35 pm

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:I am glad that the agnostics are 50% weak :hug:

Do not post in threads that have not had a new post in more than four weeks.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General