NATION

PASSWORD

Haftar to Take Over Libya

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who You Rooting For?

Haftar, he's a dictator, but he's an awesome dictator
49%
Government of the National Accord - they'll accord a very strongly worded letter
17%
National Salvation Government - it's time for Sharia for Africa!
4%
Local Fighters - they fight locally, I guess (really need more info on them)
10%
Hasslehoff, even in Libya he's more popular than ISIS or WASWAS
20%

Total votes : 132

Yusseria
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Yusseria » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:24 am

Duhon wrote:
Yusseria wrote:Good lord, the delusion here is incredible.

Not everybody likes democracy, not everybody wants democracy. If that was the case then the provisional government would have solved Libya's problems, yet evidently it did not. It proved itself to be pathetically ineffective. This is why now people are flocking to yet another military strongman. Democracy failed.

Competent government is not an exclusively democratic domain, and the provisional government has suffered and continues to suffer from from a dearth of talent, territory, and goodwill.

That is why Libyans -- and people who want Libyans and others to flock to authoritarian dicks like Haftar -- flock to Haftar. Not a hatred of democracy, but a lack of better options.

Would they have flocked to the provisional government had it been more competently manned? Duh. Would they have proven more receptive to democracy, properly and sincerely implemented? Duh. Does Haftar's rise prove that Libyans, or any other set of people, are somehow predisposed to authoritarians and their authoritarian dicks? Fuck no.

Competent democracies have been overthrown before, fam.
Yusseria - The Prussia of NationStates
There is nothing wrong with Islamaphobia

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:24 am

Duhon wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:A stable authoritarian hell hole is better than anarchy

If your dick ain't stuck in it, then of course a stable authoritarian hellhole is far better than anarchy. You're not the one suffering, they fucking are!

I’d rather a dictator be in charge of Libya than anarchy and chaos. At least a dictator has a nation we can deal with and most importantly one we don’t have to have troops constantly in. See Iraq and Afghanistan.

We never should have invaded Iraq. If we wanted Saddam gone we should have propped up one of his generals in a coup. In Afghanistan we should have let the Northern Alliance leaders be in control of the entire nation instead of democracy.

Democracy doesn’t seem to work in a place where strongmen, absolute monarchs, and theocracies have ruled for centuries
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:26 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Duhon wrote:
If your dick ain't stuck in it, then of course a stable authoritarian hellhole is far better than anarchy. You're not the one suffering, they fucking are!

I’d rather a dictator be in charge of Libya than anarchy and chaos. At least a dictator has a nation we can deal with and most importantly one we don’t have to have troops constantly in. See Iraq and Afghanistan.

We never should have invaded Iraq. If we wanted Saddam gone we should have propped up one of his generals in a coup. In Afghanistan we should have let the Northern Alliance leaders be in control of the entire nation instead of democracy.

Democracy doesn’t seem to work in a place where strongmen, absolute monarchs, and theocracies have ruled for centuries

Amen.

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:32 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Duhon wrote:

Europe.

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:33 am

Yusseria wrote:
Duhon wrote:
Competent government is not an exclusively democratic domain, and the provisional government has suffered and continues to suffer from from a dearth of talent, territory, and goodwill.

That is why Libyans -- and people who want Libyans and others to flock to authoritarian dicks like Haftar -- flock to Haftar. Not a hatred of democracy, but a lack of better options.

Would they have flocked to the provisional government had it been more competently manned? Duh. Would they have proven more receptive to democracy, properly and sincerely implemented? Duh. Does Haftar's rise prove that Libyans, or any other set of people, are somehow predisposed to authoritarians and their authoritarian dicks? Fuck no.

I don't follow.

Yusseria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Yusseria » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:39 am

Duhon wrote:
Yusseria wrote:Competent democracies have been overthrown before, fam.

I don't follow.

My point is competent democracies aren't immune to being overthrown, and people won't flock to a democracy just because it's a democracy. A democracy won't magically unite people or solve a country's problems. It didn't happen in Iraq, it isn't happening in Afghanistan, and it sure as shit won't happen in Libya. It's purely Western arrogance to pretend like it will, yet for some reason we can't get this through our thick fucking skulls.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:40 am

Last edited by Genivaria on Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:42 am

Duhon wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:I’d rather a dictator be in charge of Libya than anarchy and chaos. At least a dictator has a nation we can deal with and most importantly one we don’t have to have troops constantly in. See Iraq and Afghanistan.

Europe.

Wrong. Europe had some form of democracy for centuries. You had the Greek and a Roman democracies for centuries. During the medieval times you still had democracies all over Europe. Unlike Europe the Middle East has been ruled by strongmen for as long as democracy has been around in Europe
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:43 am

Yusseria wrote:
Duhon wrote:
I don't follow.

My point is competent democracies aren't immune to being overthrown, and people won't flock to a democracy just because it's a democracy. A democracy won't magically unite people or solve a country's problems. It didn't happen in Iraq, it isn't happening in Afghanistan, and it sure as shit won't happen in Libya. It's purely Western arrogance to pretend like it will, yet for some reason we can't get this through our thick fucking skulls.

South America and a lot of Africa is a good example of this
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 am

Yusseria wrote:
Duhon wrote:

Example? Most overthrown democracies were horribly run.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:49 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Duhon wrote:

I would say you are wrong but I cannot...
Think is democracy can only come AFTER a populace develops a national identity over a tribal mindset, AFTER enough of the populace is educated and modern enough.

Notice democracy came AFTER nationalism, AFTER the enlightenment.
A tribal place with a medieval mindset will not work for democracy.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:50 am

Novus America wrote:

Chile is the only example I can think of a competent democracy that was overthrown
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:50 am

Give the whole damn country back to Greece. :p

But srsly, I'm behind the National Accord. Democracy and freedom forever. If we could just give them a boost in development and get the citizens happy and un oppressed we might have Libya looking like Israel in ten years or so.

Honestly I think that would be the best.

Badb Catha wrote:
First American Empire wrote:
Says the literal self-proclaimed fascist.

Fascism is not evil.

It is. Full stop, it is an evil garbage ideology that doesn't work.
Italy was fascist, and when they were fascist they sucked.

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Dresderstan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:52 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Give the whole damn country back to Greece. :p

But srsly, I'm behind the National Accord. Democracy and freedom forever. If we could just give them a boost in development and get the citizens happy and un oppressed we might have Libya looking like Israel in ten years or so.

No, let Haftar take over, and screw the so-called "democratic" National Accord.
Last edited by Dresderstan on Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:54 am

Dresderstan wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Give the whole damn country back to Greece. :p

Hell after a few years democracy might be better off under Haftar than the GNA
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:54 am

Dresderstan wrote:

Bolster the democracy and inforce actual democracy.

The right to choose a nation's fate > bowing to some fuck wad who wants power.

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Postby Dresderstan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:55 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Dresderstan wrote:No, let Haftar take over, and screw the so-called "democratic" National Accord.

No, democracy has become nothing more than a sham and a popularity contest, let Haftar take over, they don't want, nor need democracy too bad.

Yusseria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Yusseria » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:55 am

Novus America wrote:

Chile and Argentina. You can find many examples in South America.

And, of course, the Russian Republic was a democratic provisional government that was overthrown and replaced with a commie dictatorship.

Yusseria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Yusseria » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:57 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Dresderstan wrote:No, let Haftar take over, and screw the so-called "democratic" National Accord.

Libya is deciding its fate. People are flocking to Haftar in droves. You want us to decide Libya's fate rather than the people.
Last edited by Yusseria on Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:58 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Chile is the only example I can think of a competent democracy that was overthrown

Have to disagree. Allende was a disaster. The economy collapsed and the country was in chaos.
It was not well run at the time.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:59 am

Yusseria wrote:
Novus America wrote:

And, of course, the Russian Republic was a democratic provisional government that was overthrown and replaced with a commie dictatorship.

The Russian Provisional government wasn’t very competent.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:59 am

Yusseria wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Wasn't that in the middle of a world war though?
Not the most stabilizing of conditions.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:00 am

Yusseria wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Chile and Argentina were a mess before the coups, and the Russian Republic was a completely incompetent cluster fuck.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Yusseria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Yusseria » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:00 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Yusseria wrote:Chile and Argentina. You can find many examples in South America.

The Russian Provisional government wasn’t very competent.

Not the best example, I admit.

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Postby Dresderstan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:01 am

Genivaria wrote:
Yusseria wrote:Chile and Argentina. You can find many examples in South America.

Wasn't that in the middle of a world war though?
Not the most stabilizing of conditions.

They could have stabilized things, if they had just exited the war then and there. If they had exited there wouldn't have been a second revolution months later by the Bolsheviks.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General