NATION

PASSWORD

Brunei plans to pass law to stone homosexuals

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:49 am

Novus America wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:

Learn to read. Your quote was from the new, I asked for the old.

Again what Jesus says overrides anything in the Old Testament.
Yes the Old Testament states the Law of Moses includes stoning. Jesus says not to do it.
What Jesus says goes in Christianity.

But again how does your lack of understanding of Christianity theology and whataboutism help oppressed Muslims?
It does not of course. Why are you trying to run interference for Muslim countries who execute gays?

You always get this mad when you get proved wrong? Does jesus tell you to get mad when you are wrong? Tsk tsk.

I am running interference for no silly religion. I am countering that Trump supporter.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

New Sukberia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 18, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Sukberia » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:49 am

Ghost Land wrote:
New Sukberia wrote:Well criticising is not meddling. It's not like we're invading them.

This shit happens in S.A. too, and they are our greatest allies. Right?

Re-read the post. "our government exerts some pressure", "sanctions" seem to indicate "meddling" pretty definitively to me, and I really don't want to argue semantics. If our government were to "criticise" it, that would mean releasing a statement that says "Brunei not cool" and leaving it at that, not trying to intervene in another country's business just because we want complete world ideological domination.

If we wanted complete world ideological domination, then Irak would be a colony. Instead of the Islamo-Light regime we put in place.
Professionnal bombass bombillier. Former legionnaire 34-0

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:51 am

Mystic Warriors wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Again what Jesus says overrides anything in the Old Testament.
Yes the Old Testament states the Law of Moses includes stoning. Jesus says not to do it.
What Jesus says goes in Christianity.

But again how does your lack of understanding of Christianity theology and whataboutism help oppressed Muslims?
It does not of course. Why are you trying to run interference for Muslim countries who execute gays?

You always get this mad when you get proved wrong? Does jesus tell you to get mad when you are wrong? Tsk tsk.

I am running interference for no silly religion. I am countering that Trump supporter.

I am not mad. Slightly annoyed yes.
And you are attempting to deflect criticism of Islam by derailing the thread.
The thread is not about Christianity.
We have a Christianity thread.

So you will acknowledge, in the modern world, Islamic countries on average have a much worse record on LGBTQ rights than non Islamic ones?
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Astoriya
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Astoriya » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:52 am

Novus America wrote:
Astoriya wrote:
If so, then let me paraphrase - apart from Iran
Is that better ?

Read the source!
Saudi Arabia for one!
Please, if you ask for a source read it!

Let's look closer, shall we?

Iranian media reported that the 31-year-old kidnapped two 15-year-olds. | The unidentified man was hanged on January 10 in the southwestern city of Kazeroon based on criminal violations of “lavat-e be onf” – sexual intercourse between two men, as well as kidnapping charges, according to ISNA. Iran’s radical sharia law system prescribes the death penalty for gay sex.

TL;DR the man was hanged after being convicted of gay sex, and child kidnapping

Now, keep in mind that whenever any crime involves children (eg. kidnapping, rape, murder), it's always met with some form of justifiable dislike, though some people may come up with their own "punishments" which are frequently more bloody than the ruling that the perpetrator will get.

try again?

Crockerland
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:53 am

Mystic Warriors wrote:
Crockerland wrote:Well you might have heard that on an edgy Youtube atheism channel, but that doesn't actually make it true.

Islam:
https://sunnah.com/abudawud/40/112
"The Prophet (ﷺ) said: If you find anyone doing as Lot's people did, kill the one who does it, and the one to whom it is done."

https://sunnah.com/abudawud/40/113
"If a man who is not married is seized committing sodomy, he will be stoned to death."

Christianity
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+8%3A1-11&version=NLT
"Jesus returned to the Mount of Olives, but early the next morning he was back again at the Temple. A crowd soon gathered, and he sat down and taught them. As he was speaking, the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in the act of adultery. They put her in front of the crowd.

“Teacher,” they said to Jesus, "this woman was caught in the act of adultery. The law of Moses says to stone her. What do you say?"

They were trying to trap him into saying something they could use against him, but Jesus stooped down and wrote in the dust with his finger. They kept demanding an answer, so he stood up again and said, "All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!""

Islam says you should kill people for being gay outright.

Christianity does not directly state that you should or shouldn't kill people for being gay, mostly because the Bible doesn't really mention gay people who aren't prostitutes or rapists outside of maybe, sort of, one or two passages in the very old testament, but even if we construe those laws to make being gay to be a sexual sin, the person for who Christianity is named after personally said that you shouldn't kill people for violating those laws.

"If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Leviticus 20:13

It's always great when people's responses are answered by the posts they quote
Crockerland wrote:even if we construe those laws to make being gay to be a sexual sin, the person for who Christianity is named after personally said that you shouldn't kill people for violating those laws.

Christians do not follow the law of Leviticus and are not bound by it at all. Even if this were in reference to gay people in general, it wouldn't really matter, as I already explained.

And, again, the idea that this is about gay people in general is rather dubious, hence why gay people don't get put to death in Israel either. Leviticus 20 is dealing with the people of Israel falling back on unholy religious practices, just reading the first few verses makes this rather apparent:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+20&version=KJV
And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel, Whosoever he be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel, that giveth any of his seed unto Molech; he shall surely be put to death: the people of the land shall stone him with stones.

And I will set my face against that man, and will cut him off from among his people; because he hath given of his seed unto Molech, to defile my sanctuary, and to profane my holy name.

And if the people of the land do any ways hide their eyes from the man, when he giveth of his seed unto Molech, and kill him not:

Then I will set my face against that man, and against his family, and will cut him off, and all that go a whoring after him, to commit whoredom with Molech, from among their people.

And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people.

The word for "detestable" in the verse you provided, also sometimes rendered as "abomination", is from a Hebrew word, toevah (תֹּועֵבָה), it has no direct translation to English. Toevah contains explicit connotations with the religiously profane, such as Moloch sacrifices.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/2008/06/have_you_committed_an_abominat.html

So is there any religious connotations to sexual acts of such a nature? Well, the Bible actually names this practice outright in Deuteronomy

[url]https://www.biblica.com/bible/?osis=niv:Deuteronomy.23:17–23:18[/url]
No Israelite man or woman is to become a shrine prostitute. You must not bring the earnings of a female prostitute or of a male prostitute into the house of the Lord your God to pay any vow, because the Lord your God detests them both.

Yep, there were shrine prostitutes, both gay and straight, who had sex with worshipers for religious reasons.

Many people in ancient Israel participated in many perverted or violent acts as part of profane rites that were considered detestable, including gay shrine prostitutes derived from earlier Canaanite religion, and so the book of Leviticus condemned them. This does not constitute a condemnation of all gay people by Christianity. A similar rule applies for Leviticus 20:18's influence on couples who have sex during the woman's period.

Again though, even if that wasn't the case, and you (wrongly) interpret this law to apply to all gay people (again it doesn't) then the Bible really isn't that nebulous on the issue: You shouldn't kill people for sexual immorality, according to the messiah himself.
Free Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet.
Gay not Queer / Why Abortion is Genocide / End Gay Erasure
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:54 am

Novus America wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:

Eat a cookie.

I am doing nothing of the sort. I just wont let him turn this into a Islam bashing thread.
Last edited by Mystic Warriors on Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

Astoriya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Astoriya » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:56 am

Mystic Warriors wrote:Eat a cookie.

I am doing nothing of the sort. I just wont let him turn this into a Islam bashing thread.

We've got one already...

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:56 am

Crockerland wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:

"If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Leviticus 20:13

It's always great when people's responses are answered by the posts they quote
Crockerland wrote:even if we construe those laws to make being gay to be a sexual sin, the person for who Christianity is named after personally said that you shouldn't kill people for violating those laws.

Christians do not follow the law of Leviticus and are not bound by it at all. Even if this were in reference to gay people in general, it wouldn't really matter, as I already explained.

And, again, the idea that this is about gay people in general is rather dubious, hence why gay people don't get put to death in Israel either. Leviticus 20 is dealing with the people of Israel falling back on unholy religious practices, just reading the first few verses makes this rather apparent:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+20&version=KJV
And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel, Whosoever he be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel, that giveth any of his seed unto Molech; he shall surely be put to death: the people of the land shall stone him with stones.

And I will set my face against that man, and will cut him off from among his people; because he hath given of his seed unto Molech, to defile my sanctuary, and to profane my holy name.

And if the people of the land do any ways hide their eyes from the man, when he giveth of his seed unto Molech, and kill him not:

Then I will set my face against that man, and against his family, and will cut him off, and all that go a whoring after him, to commit whoredom with Molech, from among their people.

And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people.

The word for "detestable" in the verse you provided, also sometimes rendered as "abomination", is from a Hebrew word, toevah (תֹּועֵבָה), it has no direct translation to English. Toevah contains explicit connotations with the religiously profane, such as Moloch sacrifices.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/2008/06/have_you_committed_an_abominat.html

So is there any religious connotations to sexual acts of such a nature? Well, the Bible actually names this practice outright in Deuteronomy

[url]https://www.biblica.com/bible/?osis=niv:Deuteronomy.23:17–23:18[/url]
No Israelite man or woman is to become a shrine prostitute. You must not bring the earnings of a female prostitute or of a male prostitute into the house of the Lord your God to pay any vow, because the Lord your God detests them both.

Yep, there were shrine prostitutes, both gay and straight, who had sex with worshipers for religious reasons.

Many people in ancient Israel participated in many perverted or violent acts as part of profane rites that were considered detestable, including gay shrine prostitutes derived from earlier Canaanite religion, and so the book of Leviticus condemned them. This does not constitute a condemnation of all gay people by Christianity. A similar rule applies for Leviticus 20:18's influence on couples who have sex during the woman's period.

Again though, even if that wasn't the case, and you (wrongly) interpret this law to apply to all gay people (again it doesn't) then the Bible really isn't that nebulous on the issue: You shouldn't kill people for sexual immorality, according to the messiah himself.

Enough cherry picking.

What does that have to do with this?

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:57 am

Astoriya wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:Eat a cookie.

We've got one already...

I thought that was a thread for muslims.

Astoriya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Astoriya » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:58 am

Mystic Warriors wrote:

I thought that was a thread for muslims.

Not just for us, but it's also a thread where non-Muslims can debate & discuss, as I see it

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:59 am

Astoriya wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Read the source!
Saudi Arabia for one!
Please, if you ask for a source read it!

Let's look closer, shall we?

Iranian media reported that the 31-year-old kidnapped two 15-year-olds. | The unidentified man was hanged on January 10 in the southwestern city of Kazeroon based on criminal violations of “lavat-e be onf” – sexual intercourse between two men, as well as kidnapping charges, according to ISNA. Iran’s radical sharia law system prescribes the death penalty for gay sex.

TL;DR the man was hanged after being convicted of gay sex, and child kidnapping

Now, keep in mind that whenever any crime involves children (eg. kidnapping, rape, murder), it's always met with some form of justifiable dislike, though some people may come up with their own "punishments" which are frequently more bloody than the ruling that the perpetrator will get.

try again?

The site notes that the fact other charges are included makes it difficult sometimes to tell what charge the death penalty is being used for.
And you said not to include Iran. So it talks about Saudi Arabia too.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:01 am

Mystic Warriors wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Eat a cookie.

When Islamic countries to be things in the name of enforcing Islamic law, there is nothing wrong with criticizing Islamic law.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:03 am

Novus America wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:

Eat a cookie.

When Islamic countries to be things in the name of enforcing Islamic law, there is nothing wrong with criticizing Islamic law.

Law yes, hating people who may not agree with it no

Astoriya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Astoriya » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:04 am

Novus America wrote:The site notes that the fact other charges are included makes it difficult sometimes to tell what charge the death penalty is being used for.

All right then, let me reread it...
There are still no mentions of Saudi Arabia - are you sure we're reading the same article? Maybe point me to the source, because I haven't found it. :meh:

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:06 am

Astoriya wrote:
Novus America wrote:The site notes that the fact other charges are included makes it difficult sometimes to tell what charge the death penalty is being used for.

All right then, let me reread it...
There are still no mentions of Saudi Arabia - are you sure we're reading the same article? Maybe point me to the source, because I haven't found it. :meh:

Seriously?
“2. Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabia is No. 3 among the world’s most avid executioners, with 90+ in 2014. At least in the past, beheadings were imposed for homosexual behavior, including three men in 2002. Imprisonment and lashings are a more common punishment for same-sex activity.”

https://76crimes.com/10-nations-where-t ... -is-death/
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novaya Equestria
Senator

Founded: May 01, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Novaya Equestria » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:07 am

I find it ironic that it was called the State of Brunei, Abode of Peace.
READ BELOW!

I RP as Novaya, a Human militaristic nation (cuz anime) and an archipelagic country. I also RP as the Novayan Stellar Commonwealth, a FanFT/FanFFT nation.
Please refer to me/my nation as Novaya in both IC and OOC, NOT Novaya Equestria.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:07 am

Sure enough this thread became a denunciation of Islam and all Muslims, even the ones living peacefully and fully integrated in Western countries by conflating all of them together in a vast, monolithic Wahhabist hivemind. And some people act shocked that Christchurch happened at all.
Last edited by Gormwood on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

The Man Who Shot Jiminy Cricket
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Man Who Shot Jiminy Cricket » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:08 am

Mystic Warriors wrote:
Novus America wrote:

All Muslims think Sharia is holy and ordained by God, but most probably reject this fiqh.
1 By the morning hours
2 And by the night when it is stillest,
3 Thy Lord hath not forsaken thee nor doth He hate thee,
4 And verily the latter portion will be better for thee than the former,
5 And verily thy Lord will give unto thee so that thou wilt be content.
6 Did He not find thee an orphan and protect (thee) ?
7 Did He not find thee wandering and direct (thee) ?
8 Did He not find thee destitute and enrich (thee) ?
9 Therefor the orphan oppress not,
10 Therefor the beggar drive not away,
11 Therefor of the bounty of thy Lord be thy discourse

Read the Qur'an!
Introduction to Islam through understanding the Qur'an
Why Islam?

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:09 am

Novaya Equestria wrote:I find it ironic that it was called the State of Brunei, Abode of Peace.

North Korea calls itself The People's Democratic Republic of Korea which has been long ironic.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:10 am

The Man Who Shot Jiminy Cricket wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:

All Muslims think Sharia is holy and ordained by God, but most probably reject this fiqh.

If I told you what I think I would be banned.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:11 am

Mystic Warriors wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Sure, but it is impossible to pretend the majority of Islam today has severe problems.
Sure not all Muslims want to enforce the brutality of the Hadith.
But most do believe the Hadith is divinely mandated.

Much of the Hadith is completely disgusting.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Astoriya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Astoriya » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:12 am

Novus America wrote:
Astoriya wrote:All right then, let me reread it...

Seriously?
“2. Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabia is No. 3 among the world’s most avid executioners, with 90+ in 2014. At least in the past, beheadings were imposed for homosexual behaviour, including three men in 2002. Imprisonment and lashings are a more common punishment for same-sex activity.”

I apologise, I was reading the wrong link :D
Anyway
It only mentions a few (only Iran and Saudi Arabia) - all the rest have not recently executed
(as the executions are carried out extrajudicially, or by militias (ie. unofficial armed thugs) as regards Iraq & Somalia, they don't count)

try again? (if this gets annoying, just say so)

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:12 am

Novus America wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:

Sure, but it is impossible to pretend the majority of Islam today has severe problems.
Sure not all Muslims want to enforce the brutality of the Hadith.
But most do believe the Hadith is divinely mandated.

Lol
Last edited by Mystic Warriors on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Astoriya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Astoriya » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:15 am

Novaya Equestria wrote:I find it ironic that it was called the State of Brunei, Abode of Peace.

Compared with neighbouring countries, it's pretty damn peaceful - far too peaceful, in fact
Gormwood wrote:Sure enough this thread became a denunciation of Islam and all Muslims, even the ones living peacefully and fully integrated in Western countries by conflating all of them together in a vast, monolothic Wahhabist hivemind. And some people act shocked that Christchurch happened at all.

^^^ signal boost this

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:17 am

Astoriya wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Seriously?
“2. Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabia is No. 3 among the world’s most avid executioners, with 90+ in 2014. At least in the past, beheadings were imposed for homosexual behaviour, including three men in 2002. Imprisonment and lashings are a more common punishment for same-sex activity.”

I apologise, I was reading the wrong link :D
Anyway
It only mentions a few (only Iran and Saudi Arabia) - all the rest have not recently executed
(as the executions are carried out extrajudicially, or by militias (ie. unofficial armed thugs) as regards Iraq & Somalia, they don't count)

try again? (if this gets annoying, just say so)

It is getting annoying. And you cannot keep moving the goalposts and say “try again” as a valid debate tactic.
You said name an Islamic country besides Iran.
Easy, Saudi Arabia. Question answered, we are done now.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General