NATION

PASSWORD

Is Polygamy Wrong?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you think Polygamy is wrong?

1. Yes
38%
2. No
62%

Total votes : 295

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:23 pm

Crysuko wrote:No, but it makes my blood boil when they say that monogamy is unnatural.

Oh, monogamy's totally natural.

However, humans are not truly monogamous, if we were then threads like this wouldn't even exist as the idea of even having multiple partners within your lifetime would be unthinkable.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Crysuko
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 26, 2013

Postby Crysuko » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:25 pm

New haven america wrote:
Crysuko wrote:No, but it makes my blood boil when they say that monogamy is unnatural.

Oh, monogamy's totally natural.

However, humans are not truly monogamous, if we were then threads like this wouldn't even exist as the idea of even having multiple partners within your lifetime would be unthinkable.

Humans are naturally monogamous and this is the hill I shall die on. cheating is caused by social dynamics and relationship difficulties and polygamy is 100% artificial in humans. Do note that i'm not saying this is a bad thing.
Quotes:
Xilonite wrote: cookies are heresy.

Kelinfort wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A terrorist attack on a disabled center doesn't make a lot of sense, unless to show no one is safe.

This will take some time to figure out, i am afraid.

"No one is safe, not even your most vulnerable and insecure!"

Cesopium wrote:Welp let's hope armies of 10 million don't just roam around and Soviet their way through everything.

Yugoslav Memes wrote:
Victoriala II wrote:Ur mom has value

one week ban for flaming xd

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Much better than the kulak smoothies. Their texture was suspiciously grainy.

Official thread euthanologist
I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:29 pm

Crysuko wrote:
New haven america wrote:Oh, monogamy's totally natural.

Humans are naturally monogamous

Except we're not, because if we were then cheating, dating, polyamory, polygamy, etc... wouldn't exist. You'd just get married and stay that way for the rest of your life (Or if your partner dies, never remarry).

There's only like... 10 or so animals that are truly monogamous, and non of the great apes are in that groups. Hell, Bonobos are the exact opposite of monogamous.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:38 pm

New haven america wrote:
Kernen wrote:Always a pleasure to see suggestions that women are incapable of fidelity on their own.

They actually think that women are the driving force of infidelity, as they believe that women are basically asexual hypergamists who always on the look out for a more well off partner.

But this isn't the Incel thread and I'd rather it not turn into that.

*closes the door to the empty barn* Oh.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:42 pm

Crysuko wrote:
Galloism wrote:Honestly, anytime someone says "unnatural" you should probably just dismiss them outright.

it would be easy to if it weren't so damned ubiquitous.

I always tell them they're posting by typing on carefully crafted keys which is reas by extremely organized sand, which sends electrical pulses at the speed of light to more extremely organized sand, which converts it to another format and retransmits it, and so on.

This process does not exist in nature, nor anything close.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:43 pm

Crysuko wrote:
New haven america wrote:Oh, monogamy's totally natural.

Humans are naturally monogamous and this is the hill I shall die on. cheating is caused by social dynamics and relationship difficulties and polygamy is 100% artificial in humans. Do note that i'm not saying this is a bad thing.

What does it even mean to say that polygamy is artificial in humans? Also, the basic assumption that all people are naturally monogamous is quite clearly wrong. Hell, strict monogamy (one partner for life) isn't even the norm. The behavior of most people more closely matches what is called "serial monogamy", having many monogamous relationships over the course of your life. The idea that cheating is caused exclusively by social dynamics and relationship difficulties is pretty ridiculous as well. The truth of the matter is that human sexuality is complex and varied. There are often patterns and trends, but there are few if any absolute standards that are true for every individual.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:43 pm

Crysuko wrote:Humans are naturally monogamous and this is the hill I shall die on. cheating is caused by social dynamics and relationship difficulties and polygamy is 100% artificial in humans.

If they were naturally monogamous then there wouldn't need to be morality and ethics related to it, and laws to enforce it...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

DACOROMANIA
Envoy

Founded: Mar 02, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby DACOROMANIA » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:08 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
DACOROMANIA wrote:If polygamy may become legal, this should be limited to three marriages and no more than.

This seems like an arbitrary figure. Are you just choosing a number at random, or are there some reasons for precisely three?

Imagine if you marry with more women and you need to satisfy them in every night. Also women are sensitive to attention and they need it. Same for a woman with more men (for a nimphoman person this may not be a problem). And the population birth rates control.
Each wife must be treated equally, in terms of finance, emotional support and sex. That's not something men who marry to satisfy their sexual desires do.

There are many reasons for a limit to almost 3 (or even 4 in special cases). I present some of them here.

If a man has more than one wife, the parents of the children born of such marriages can easily be identified. The father as well as the mother can easily be identified. In case of a woman marrying more than one husband, only the mother of the children born of such marriages will be identified and not the father. A tremendous importance to the identification of both parents, mother and father. Psychologists tell us that children who do not know their parents, especially their father undergo severe mental trauma and disturbances. Often they have an unhappy childhood. It is for this reason that the children of prostitutes do not have a healthy childhood. If a child born of such wedlock is admitted in school, and when the mother is asked the name of the father, she would have to give two or more names! I am aware that recent advances in science have made it possible for both the mother and father to be identified with the help of genetic testing.

A woman who has more than one husband will have several sexual partners at the same time and has a high chance of acquiring venereal or sexually transmitted diseases which can also be transmitted back to her husband even if all of them have no extra-marital sex. This is not the case in a man having more than one wife, and none of them having extra-marital sex.

If every man could have many wives and every woman could have many husbands, there would be vast networks of intermarried people which would be a bit crazy. Basically everyone would be married to everyone. Paternity would be questionable, and inheritance law would be maddening.

So if a woman has more husbands and they all want sex at the same time, she'll have to choose one and ignore the sexual desires of the others. Women (without a man to take care of them) were susceptible to being duped or being violated. Such a thing, if it happened in large numbers could soon destabilize the society.

Also, there are many reasons behind why not allowing an extended polygamy, especially for women, such as:
1- Such a matter is in complete contrast with the nature of women.
2- The health of the future generation will be endangered.
3- The real parents of many children will be mixed up and unknown, and many other reasons.

It would be difficult for a woman to satisfy the sexual needs of multiple husbands at the same time. For example, if a religion like Islam (just example) ordains that marital relations are a duty of the wife, this would become difficult for the wife.
Also, if a woman is already pregnant, and another husband wants to have a child, it would not be possible.
Multiple childbirths would be destructive for the health of the woman.
The woman would have to take care of the families of multiple husbands. That includes cooking, cleaning etc, and would become extremely exhausting for the woman, if not impossible.
If the woman stays with one husband at a time, others and their children would be neglected. The woman would not be able to play her role as a mother properly.

In other words, having to deal with multiple husbands would become extremely difficult for a woman. And, limiting or prohibiting a large extension of polygamy is actually quite a practical move.

Many Hindu religious personalities, according to their scriptures, had multiple wives. King Dashrat, the father of Rama, had more than one wife. Krishna had several wives. As some people or writers are saying, in earlier times, Christian men were permitted as many wives as they wished, since the Bible puts no restriction on the number of wives. It was only a couple of centuries ago that the Church restricted the number of wives to one.
One can imagine what would have been the percentage of polygamous marriages among the Hindus if the Indian government had made it legal for them. Earlier, there was no restriction even on Hindu men with respect to the number of wives allowed. It was only in 1954, when the Hindu Marriage Act was passed that it became illegal for a Hindu to have more than one wife. At present it is the Indian Law that restricts a Hindu man from having more than one wife and not the Hindu scriptures.

India has more male population than female due to female foeticide and infanticide. India is one of the few countries, along with the other neighbouring countries, in which the female population is less than the male population. The reason lies in the high rate of female infanticide in India, and the fact that more than one million female foetuses are aborted every year in this country, after they are identified as females. If this evil practice is stopped, then India too will have more females as compared to males.

According to Talmudic law, Abraham had 2 wives, and Solomon had hundreds of wives. This practice continued till Rabbi Gershom ben Yehudah. (960 A.D to 1030 A.D) issued an edict against it. The Jewish Sephardic communities living in Muslim countries continued the practice till as late as 1950, when an Act of the chief Rabbinate of Israel extended the ban on marrying more than one wife.

China’s serious shortage of females, until a couple of years ago, is probably due to the one-child policy. Mothers, when pregnant with a girl, would abort it so that they’d have a son to carry on the family name.

The concept of polygyny was present across religions in olden times. In fact, polygyny in India during 1974 was found to be greater among Adivasis (15.25%) and Hindus (5.8%) than Muslims (5.7%). Even Jains and Buddhists had marginally higher rates.

There were a few reasons why people thought polygamy, mainly the polygyny, was acceptable:
- Increasing the probablity of having children.
- Increasing the labour supply within a kinship network.
- When the sex ratio favoured women, more women could be married.
- Expand the range of a man's alliances so he is able to maintain or acquire a position of leadership - Akbar married a Rajput princess for the same reasons.

Out of these, the main factor preventing polyandry is the first one: polygyny allows a man to have more children.
Why? A female can mother only one child (twins or triplets in rare circumstances) every ten months (for practical purposes can take as one every year). A man can father many more children in that time if he has more wives. In times where Infant Mortality Rate was high and other life expectancy parameters were small, polygyny made sense by numbers.
This does not hold in modern times, and if one accepts polygyny, he may be forced to accept polyandry as well.
Last edited by DACOROMANIA on Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leader of DACOROMANIA, Founder of Roman Byzantine Union.

I wish to save human race and to build a new nation-state, with ideals like human rights, peace and prosperity for all despite of any difference, avoiding the tyranny and preserving the liberty. To grow, to aid and save each other. Also going interstellar. Even if abandoned by family and nobody cares, I wish to do something important in life before to die, something that may really count.
I'm so alone on Earth and I see how the world may fall into chaos. All looks irrational and immoral. It's a pain to not be able to do anything and to be surrounded by barbarians.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:39 pm

DACOROMANIA wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:
This seems like an arbitrary figure. Are you just choosing a number at random, or are there some reasons for precisely three?

Imagine if you marry with more women and you need to satisfy them in every night. Also women are sensitive to attention and they need it. Same for a woman with more men (for a nimphoman person this may not be a problem). And the population birth rates control.

What if you allow them to have another husband? Or what if they're both bisexual and into each other? Or what if you marry their newly found husband?
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:58 pm

DACOROMANIA wrote:For example, if a religion like Islam (just example) ordains that marital relations are a duty of the wife, this would become difficult for the wife.

Well, the husband does have a right over his wife in terms of marital relations, but the wife also has a right over the husband in marital relations. Neither can withhold sex from each other for no reason.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Thuzbekistan
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thuzbekistan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:59 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
DACOROMANIA wrote:For example, if a religion like Islam (just example) ordains that marital relations are a duty of the wife, this would become difficult for the wife.

Well, the husband does have a right over his wife in terms of marital relations, but the wife also has a right over the husband in marital relations. Neither can withhold sex from each other for no reason.

Which is dumb and violates basic principles of bodily autonomy
Proud Member of The Western Isles, the Best RP region on NS.
An RP I'm Proud of: Orsandian Civil War
An INTJ, -A/-T

Economic Left/Right: -5.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.72

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:05 pm

Thuzbekistan wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Well, the husband does have a right over his wife in terms of marital relations, but the wife also has a right over the husband in marital relations. Neither can withhold sex from each other for no reason.

Which is dumb and violates basic principles of bodily autonomy

You're talking to the guy who think it's ok for a husband to beat correct his wife but not ok for the wife to do so.

I don't think he cares.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:51 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:

Wait so neither the man or woman can refuse to have sex without having to provide a reason? That is some serious bullshit as is the husband having rights over the woman and vice versa.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Estado Castilano
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Castilano » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:06 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:

That sounds an awful lot like rape.
THE CASTILAN STATE
♰ ESTADO CASTILANO ♰

A fictional South American authoritarian corporatist state inspired by Francoist Spain and Pinochet's Chile.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:32 pm

Estado Castilano wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Well, the husband does have a right over his wife in terms of marital relations, but the wife also has a right over the husband in marital relations. Neither can withhold sex from each other for no reason.

History is pretty awful, tbh.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:35 pm

Estado Castilano wrote:

Good thing rape's Haraam ;) Consent is still needed.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:37 pm

Galloism wrote:
Estado Castilano wrote:That sounds an awful lot like rape.

History is pretty awful, tbh.

History, which is to say, what this poster believes should be enforced by law now.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:38 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Galloism wrote:History is pretty awful, tbh.

History, which is to say, what this poster believes should be enforced by law now.

Which poster? Galloism doesn't believe history should be enforced by law afaik. And if you're talking about me you've got the wrong person.
Last edited by El-Amin Caliphate on Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:38 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Estado Castilano wrote:That sounds an awful lot like rape.

Good thing rape's Haraam ;) Consent is still needed.

Neither can withhold sex from each other for no reason.
If either partner simply does not want to have sex at this moment, is that "withholding sex" for no reason?
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:40 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Good thing rape's Haraam ;) Consent is still needed.

Neither can withhold sex from each other for no reason.
If either partner simply does not want to have sex at this moment, is that "withholding sex" for no reason?

If both partners don't wanna have sex then they're gucci, there's no wrong on them.

Also I don't think that's really relevant to this thread. Let's talk in the IDT.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:41 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Neutraligon wrote: If either partner simply does not want to have sex at this moment, is that "withholding sex" for no reason?

If both partners don't wanna have sex then they're gucci, there's no wrong on them.

Also I don't think that's really relevant to this thread. Let's talk in the IDT.

sure.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:42 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Galloism wrote:History is pretty awful, tbh.

Yeah. I was remarking this was historically the law across most of the world. Spouses were not allowed to deny sex to each other, and could be punished for doing so.

Hell, it's still considered "mental cruelty" in India, and generally abusive or cruel in much of the rest of the world.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:02 am

DACOROMANIA wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:This seems like an arbitrary figure. Are you just choosing a number at random, or are there some reasons for precisely three?

Each wife must be treated equally, in terms of finance, emotional support and sex. That's not something men who marry to satisfy their sexual desires do.

There are many reasons for a limit to almost 3 (or even 4 in special cases). I present some of them here.

If a man has more than one wife, the parents of the children born of such marriages can easily be identified. The father as well as the mother can easily be identified. In case of a woman marrying more than one husband, only the mother of the children born of such marriages will be identified and not the father. A tremendous importance to the identification of both parents, mother and father. Psychologists tell us that children who do not know their parents, especially their father undergo severe mental trauma and disturbances. Often they have an unhappy childhood. It is for this reason that the children of prostitutes do not have a healthy childhood. If a child born of such wedlock is admitted in school, and when the mother is asked the name of the father, she would have to give two or more names! I am aware that recent advances in science have made it possible for both the mother and father to be identified with the help of genetic testing.

A woman who has more than one husband will have several sexual partners at the same time and has a high chance of acquiring venereal or sexually transmitted diseases which can also be transmitted back to her husband even if all of them have no extra-marital sex. This is not the case in a man having more than one wife, and none of them having extra-marital sex.

If every man could have many wives and every woman could have many husbands, there would be vast networks of intermarried people which would be a bit crazy. Basically everyone would be married to everyone. Paternity would be questionable, and inheritance law would be maddening.

So if a woman has more husbands and they all want sex at the same time, she'll have to choose one and ignore the sexual desires of the others. Women (without a man to take care of them) were susceptible to being duped or being violated. Such a thing, if it happened in large numbers could soon destabilize the society.

Also, there are many reasons behind why not allowing an extended polygamy, especially for women, such as:
1- Such a matter is in complete contrast with the nature of women.
2- The health of the future generation will be endangered.
3- The real parents of many children will be mixed up and unknown, and many other reasons.

It would be difficult for a woman to satisfy the sexual needs of multiple husbands at the same time. For example, if a religion like Islam (just example) ordains that marital relations are a duty of the wife, this would become difficult for the wife.
Also, if a woman is already pregnant, and another husband wants to have a child, it would not be possible.
Multiple childbirths would be destructive for the health of the woman.
The woman would have to take care of the families of multiple husbands. That includes cooking, cleaning etc, and would become extremely exhausting for the woman, if not impossible.
If the woman stays with one husband at a time, others and their children would be neglected. The woman would not be able to play her role as a mother properly.

In other words, having to deal with multiple husbands would become extremely difficult for a woman. And, limiting or prohibiting a large extension of polygamy is actually quite a practical move.

Many Hindu religious personalities, according to their scriptures, had multiple wives. King Dashrat, the father of Rama, had more than one wife. Krishna had several wives. As some people or writers are saying, in earlier times, Christian men were permitted as many wives as they wished, since the Bible puts no restriction on the number of wives. It was only a couple of centuries ago that the Church restricted the number of wives to one.
One can imagine what would have been the percentage of polygamous marriages among the Hindus if the Indian government had made it legal for them. Earlier, there was no restriction even on Hindu men with respect to the number of wives allowed. It was only in 1954, when the Hindu Marriage Act was passed that it became illegal for a Hindu to have more than one wife. At present it is the Indian Law that restricts a Hindu man from having more than one wife and not the Hindu scriptures.

India has more male population than female due to female foeticide and infanticide. India is one of the few countries, along with the other neighbouring countries, in which the female population is less than the male population. The reason lies in the high rate of female infanticide in India, and the fact that more than one million female foetuses are aborted every year in this country, after they are identified as females. If this evil practice is stopped, then India too will have more females as compared to males.

According to Talmudic law, Abraham had 2 wives, and Solomon had hundreds of wives. This practice continued till Rabbi Gershom ben Yehudah. (960 A.D to 1030 A.D) issued an edict against it. The Jewish Sephardic communities living in Muslim countries continued the practice till as late as 1950, when an Act of the chief Rabbinate of Israel extended the ban on marrying more than one wife.

China’s serious shortage of females, until a couple of years ago, is probably due to the one-child policy. Mothers, when pregnant with a girl, would abort it so that they’d have a son to carry on the family name.

The concept of polygyny was present across religions in olden times. In fact, polygyny in India during 1974 was found to be greater among Adivasis (15.25%) and Hindus (5.8%) than Muslims (5.7%). Even Jains and Buddhists had marginally higher rates.

There were a few reasons why people thought polygamy, mainly the polygyny, was acceptable:
- Increasing the probablity of having children.
- Increasing the labour supply within a kinship network.
- When the sex ratio favoured women, more women could be married.
- Expand the range of a man's alliances so he is able to maintain or acquire a position of leadership - Akbar married a Rajput princess for the same reasons.

Out of these, the main factor preventing polyandry is the first one: polygyny allows a man to have more children.
Why? A female can mother only one child (twins or triplets in rare circumstances) every ten months (for practical purposes can take as one every year). A man can father many more children in that time if he has more wives. In times where Infant Mortality Rate was high and other life expectancy parameters were small, polygyny made sense by numbers.
This does not hold in modern times, and if one accepts polygyny, he may be forced to accept polyandry as well.

None of that says specifically why that number has been chosen; it's just noise.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Occidentaleland
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Occidentaleland » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:10 am

Andsed wrote:
Woods Is Back wrote:110%. It is wrong. Change My Mind!

Okay then let me ask a question then. If everyone involved consent, are able to consent, and no one is being harmed by the relationship how is it wrong?

Because then the kids can be forced to relate with older ones and also can happen with close familiars, making a polygamy look like a sect.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:12 am

Occidentaleland wrote:
Andsed wrote:Okay then let me ask a question then. If everyone involved consent, are able to consent, and no one is being harmed by the relationship how is it wrong?

Because then the kids can be forced to relate with older ones and also can happen with close familiars, making a polygamy look like a sect.

...what?

Wave on, wave on

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General