NATION

PASSWORD

Is Polygamy Wrong?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Do you think Polygamy is wrong?

1. Yes
38%
2. No
62%

Total votes : 295

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Is Polygamy Wrong?

Postby Andsed » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:42 am

Okay so if you don´t know Polygamy is basically being in an relationship with more than one person at a time. So the question I bring to you residents of NSG is Polygamy necessarily wrong?

Personally I don´t think so. If all parties are consenting to the relationship structure and everything is legal aka everyone is above the age of consent I don´t see any way it is wrong. It might be an odd kind of relationship to some but when everyone is consenting it harms no one and thus is not wrong.

But to my fellow posters of NSG do you think Polygamy is wrong?
Last edited by Andsed on Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:44 am

Not necessarily, depends on how everyone is treated I suppose.

Yagon
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Yagon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:48 am

Genivaria wrote:Not necessarily, depends on how everyone is treated I suppose.

Yeah, it seems like that's the main thing it would come down to for any given situation.

Fuckin' people. Always makin' everything so goddamn complicated, even people fuckin'.

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Founded: Sep 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:49 am

110%. It is wrong. Change My Mind!
”I’ve always been leery of the United Nations. The very concept is comically dichotomous. Nations putting their self-interests aside in the hopes of building a global community, holding hands and Kumbaya? I mean, honestly, it’s like kindergarten. Do you have rug time? I did love rug time.”

-Raymond Reddington

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:52 am

Nothing wrong with consensual sex between one or more adult humans.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:53 am

Woods Is Back wrote:110%. It is wrong. Change My Mind!

Okay then let me ask a question then. If everyone involved consent, are able to consent, and no one is being harmed by the relationship how is it wrong?
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:54 am

I think if everyone consents to it, and they all like one another enough to have that kind of relationship then i guess its fine. Not my thing though, im a one partner kind of person.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

The Technocrates
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Technocrates » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:54 am

Polygamy is wrong. Two caring parents and their kids are the basic structure of any nation or civilization. Polygamy destroys the most basic and necessary structure for civilization, the nuclear family, by allow one person to have multiple partners.
Last edited by The Technocrates on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro: Humanism, Unity, Order, Massive Government, Science, Technology, Progress, Justice, Enlightenment, Technocracy, Globalism, Development, Education, Automation, Police, and Military

Anti: Inequality, Fascism, Democracy, Plutocracy, Conservatism, Libertarianism, Anarchy, Blissful Ignorance, Deviancy, Hedonism

A 13.4 civilization, according to this index.

The Brytish Isles
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Brytish Isles » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:55 am

I personally believe polygamy to be nothing more than perversion and lust. I find it quite distasteful and simply put don’t like it.
Last edited by The Brytish Isles on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
Make America Great Britain Again
Overview | Profiles | Templates | Embassy | Politics

| National Report | “Beautiful Albion” programme aimed at decreasing pollution, cleaning litter and renovating inhabited areas to go ahead, says Westminster correspondent. // Polish Crown Prince Konstanty announces birth of son, both mother and child “in good health.” // Prime Minister White-Patel and Austrian counterpart Leopold Mayr expected to meet in Vienna on Monday to discuss furthering Austro-Brytish ties.

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Dresderstan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:55 am

No there's nothing wrong with having a consensual relationship with two or more humans.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:56 am

The blAAtschApen wrote:Nothing wrong with consensual sex between one or more adult humans.

It's not really sex if it's just one person now is it?

So you aren't even willing to give an argument then?

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:57 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:I think if everyone consents to it, and they all like one another enough to have that kind of relationship then i guess its fine. Not my thing though, im a one partner kind of person.

This about sums up my view of things. Not really my cup of tea but if everyone involved is consenting, I dont see any problem.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

The Democratic Nation of Unovia
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Democratic Nation of Unovia » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:59 am

Some say polygamy works if all parties agree, but in reality, the guy has nothing to do with if it works.
The women make it work.
If it doesn't work between the women, then it won't work.
Personally, I get why it is illegal. Look at Brigham Young for a prime example.
Also, things tend to get to a semi-legal, not very legal state, involving underage girls.
Way too much of a mess.
Minister of Operations of New World Union! TG me for Regional Information!
As a Map Maker, I help many Regions Current Region assisting: NextGen Roleplay.
If you want my assistance with Real World Maps, please TG me.
Loyal to New World Union

Bogan Laker
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bogan Laker » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:02 pm

I don't think polygamy is outright horrible and wrong, whatever adults with consent do romantically is not really for individuals to decide. But i personally don't think it is a very good idea for most people, considering the favoritism from parties, and the economic strain would ruin most Polygamous relationships. But as long as I get my harem of genetically engineered -ette's. (Boswer, King boo, etc.etc.) i will be fine with polygamy.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:If you're real moderates, you'd only be moderately moderate and wouldn't actively define yourselves as such or create a thread.

Checkmate centrists.

Vyluria-Aseko
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Vyluria-Aseko » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:02 pm

As long as everyone consents and it doesn’t hurt anyone in the relationship, or around them, I could care less.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:04 pm

See, the history of polygamy, specifically the whole "slave wife" concept, is what made polygamy illegal. However, if it is consensual, and there is equal treatment of partners, then it should be legal, and it is not wrong.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

The Krogan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Krogan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:07 pm

No, in fact it should be legislated as the only acceptable relationship and those who think otherwise exiled from society to Boring People Island.
The perpetual lurker of NS, trudging through the desolate winter.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:09 pm

The Technocrates wrote:Polygamy is wrong. Two caring parents and their kids are the basic structure of any nation or civilization. Polygamy destroys the most basic and necessary structure for civilization, the nuclear family, by allow one person to have multiple partners.

Then you clearly don't know much about nations outside of Europe and America.

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Founded: Sep 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:09 pm

Andsed wrote:

Okay then let me ask a question then. If everyone involved consent, are able to consent, and no one is being harmed by the relationship how is it wrong?

I will give you three arguments from three different standpoints-

Religious- I destroys the sanctity of marriage, and promotes sin
Societal- The parents aren't in it for kids, so they neglect them, and they are a burden upon society
Scientific- If you have already had sex, and then do it again, there is a higher risk for transmitting STD's
”I’ve always been leery of the United Nations. The very concept is comically dichotomous. Nations putting their self-interests aside in the hopes of building a global community, holding hands and Kumbaya? I mean, honestly, it’s like kindergarten. Do you have rug time? I did love rug time.”

-Raymond Reddington

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:10 pm

I don't know about wrong, but it makes wills and inheritance a bit of a nightmare.
Everything is intertwinkled

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:11 pm

Woods Is Back wrote:
Andsed wrote:Okay then let me ask a question then. If everyone involved consent, are able to consent, and no one is being harmed by the relationship how is it wrong?

Societal- The parents aren't in it for kids, so they neglect them, and they are a burden upon society
Scientific- If you have already had sex, and then do it again, there is a higher risk for transmitting STD's

Religious- So? How does that actually harm anyone?

Societal- Do you have anything backing up that claim or are you just making a giant sweeping generalization? I´m guessing the latter.

Scientific- Yes STD´s are a risk but safe sex is a thing.
Last edited by Andsed on Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:11 pm

The blAAtschApen wrote:Nothing wrong with consensual sex between one or more adult humans.

Indeed. Polygamy isn't wrong if everyone consents and there is respect between everyone. But then again that also applies to monogamy too.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Yusseria
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Yusseria » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:11 pm

Yusseria - The Prussia of NationStates
There is nothing wrong with Islamaphobia

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:12 pm

Woods Is Back wrote:
Andsed wrote:Okay then let me ask a question then. If everyone involved consent, are able to consent, and no one is being harmed by the relationship how is it wrong?

Irrelevant, your personal religious view has no bearing on whether it should be legal.
That and historically there's been alot of religious support for polygamy, also 'sin' isn't actually a thing.

You're going to have to prove this.

So you're basically arguing against all sex by this logic.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:12 pm

The New California Republic wrote:

Indeed. Polygamy isn't wrong if everyone consents and there is respect between everyone. But then again that also applies to monogamy too.

I think that just applies to relationships in general.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General