NATION

PASSWORD

Ageism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sapientia Et Bellum
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sapientia Et Bellum » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:19 pm

So like... What even is the discussion here? The OP seems super memey? Why is an OP like this even allowed on the forum?
Il Duce Gianfranco Fini
"We are fascists, the heirs of fascism, the fascism of the year 2000" - Il Duce Gianfranco Fini

Economics Major (My ideals swing wildly between the parties occasionally due to my current education), Pro Interventionism, Pro NATO, Anti UN, Capitalist, Anti Russia, Anti China (Tariffs are still dumb though), and pro libertarian equality
In The Long Run, We Are All Dead

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:21 pm

Sapientia Et Bellum wrote:So like... What even is the discussion here? The OP seems super memey? Why is an OP like this even allowed on the forum?

He (OP) is trying to usurp my throne of the biggest meme, we must band together to destroy this traitor!
All shall tremble before me

Sapientia Et Bellum
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sapientia Et Bellum » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:22 pm

Hammer Britannia wrote:
Sapientia Et Bellum wrote:So like... What even is the discussion here? The OP seems super memey? Why is an OP like this even allowed on the forum?

He (OP) is trying to usurp my throne of the biggest meme, we must band together to destroy this traitor!

True True
Il Duce Gianfranco Fini
"We are fascists, the heirs of fascism, the fascism of the year 2000" - Il Duce Gianfranco Fini

Economics Major (My ideals swing wildly between the parties occasionally due to my current education), Pro Interventionism, Pro NATO, Anti UN, Capitalist, Anti Russia, Anti China (Tariffs are still dumb though), and pro libertarian equality

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:23 pm

Well... You see... Um, I don't know.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:26 pm

Sapientia Et Bellum wrote:
Hammer Britannia wrote:He (OP) is trying to usurp my throne of the biggest meme, we must band together to destroy this traitor!

True True

Or, you know, you could discuss the topic, ageism, in a sensible manner. Granted the OP's a little thin and I had to yell at the Thread-Starter about the "kids need guns" crap, but the topic is worthy of discussion. One wonders which is worse, a thin OP from a new player or random people dropping in to say, "Why is an OP like this even allowed on the forum?" If you don't like the thread, don't post in it. Or you could report it in Moderation. Maybe some other Mod will overrule me.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Sapientia Et Bellum
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sapientia Et Bellum » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:29 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Sapientia Et Bellum wrote:True True

Or, you know, you could discuss the topic, ageism, in a sensible manner. Granted the OP's a little thin and I had to yell at the Thread-Starter about the "kids need guns" crap, but the topic is worthy of discussion. One wonders which is worse, a thin OP from a new player or random people dropping in to say, "Why is an OP like this even allowed on the forum?" If you don't like the thread, don't post in it. Or you could report it in Moderation. Maybe some other Mod will overrule me.

Not sure where the hostility is coming from but ok, I'm sorry it hard to discuss a topic legitimately when OP keeps spouting ridiculous things... Not to mention that fsct that no one here seems to be arguing about it but more so joking about OP... But whatever
Il Duce Gianfranco Fini

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:33 pm

Experience should be heeded, but age doesn't necessarily confer experience. Different people experience different things at different points in their lives. That said, personal experience isn't the end-all-be-all of wisdom, and should be weighed against other factors.

So no, age itself isn't important, but aspects associated with age might be.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Dagnia
Senator

Founded: Jul 27, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagnia » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:02 pm

I'm already experiencing age discrimination for being too old for certain things in spite of being qualified for them. I've been a software developer and have years of experience, but have more and more trouble finding new jobs as I get older. The average age of a senior-level developer at some companies I've worked at is as low as 27 and I'm 35. 16 hour days plus being on call to fix issues on the weekend is considered normal and I guess they think someone my age is looking to slow down and start a family. I've also been an interviewer and people I liked for a job for their qualifications and experience get screened out by management in favor of kids fresh out of college (which would be fine if they were all junior positions, I remember starting out and dealing with the catch 22 of need a job for experience, need experience for a job) or an H-1B with qualifications from paper mills (though this is less common over the past couple years). Software has always been a young profession though, and it's probably just time for me to move into some kind of people management position.

Since a majority of the posts in this thread seem to be making fun of the OP rather than discussing the topic, did it ever occur to anyone that English may not be his first language?
Wait an hour, and it will be now again

Soviet Technocracy2
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 09, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Technocracy2 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:05 pm

Dagnia wrote:Since a majority of the posts in this thread seem to be making fun of the OP rather than discussing the topic, did it ever occur to anyone that English may not be his first language?

It’s my first language, I just don’t seem to be good at it in spite of being very well read.

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:42 pm

Soviet Technocracy2 wrote:
Bezkoshtovnya wrote:This sounds like someone older than you wronged you in some perceived way and so to blow off steam you came here to talk about how you want to send a platoon of child soldiers to threaten them for the perceive slight. Am I not far off? far off?

You are wrong, I am just an extremist.

So your solution to ageism is to arm children so they can, what, shoot old people that they feel have wronged them in some way? How is this in any way practical or sensible?
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

The Galactic Liberal Democracy
Minister

Founded: Jun 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Galactic Liberal Democracy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:43 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:So your solution to ageism is to arm children so they can, what, shoot old people that they feel have wronged them in some way? How is this in any way practical or sensible?

Child soldiers, child soldiers everywhere.

I approve. This post w@s made by ancaps.
NOT STORMTROOPERS
Cossack Khanate wrote:This shall forever be known as World War Sh*t: Newark Aggression. Now if I see one more troop deployed, I will call on the force of all the Hindu gods to reverse time and wipe your race of the face of the planet. Cease.

The Black Party wrote:(TBP kamikaze's into all 99999999999 nukes before they hit our territory because we just have that many pilots ready to die for dah blak regime, we also counter-attack into your nation with our entire population of 45 million because this RP allows it.)

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Galatic Liberal Democracy short-circuits all of NS with FACTS and LOGIC

Soviet Technocracy2
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 09, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Technocracy2 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:58 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:So your solution to ageism is to arm children so they can, what, shoot old people that they feel have wronged them in some way? How is this in any way practical or sensible?

I don’t wrong children so I have nothing to worry about.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:02 pm

Giovenith wrote:Experience should be heeded, but age doesn't necessarily confer experience. Different people experience different things at different points in their lives. That said, personal experience isn't the end-all-be-all of wisdom, and should be weighed against other factors.

Profundity of thought belongs to youth, clarity of thought to old age. —Friedrich Nietzsche.

So I guess the perfect age is middle age, if one classes balance as "perfect"...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:10 pm

Soviet Technocracy2 wrote:

I don’t wrong children so I have nothing to worry about.

That...utterly fails to answer any part of my question. Plus how do you know? Are you presuming to speak for children and trying to say you know more about what are considered slights to them then they do? Sounds pretty ageist.

Hell, you could accidentally bump into a kid on the street and he could think your an old jerk and shoot you because, you know, children tend to not be fully developed and capable of making sensible decisions. And apparently, that is something that would help combat ageism to you.

Not to mention that is the thing about advocating a policy, you are not the only one that is going to be affected. It is generally a good rule of thumb to think outside of yourself and its effect on you when trying to suggest something that would impact millions.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:22 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Giovenith wrote:Experience should be heeded, but age doesn't necessarily confer experience. Different people experience different things at different points in their lives. That said, personal experience isn't the end-all-be-all of wisdom, and should be weighed against other factors.

Profundity of thought belongs to youth, clarity of thought to old age. —Friedrich Nietzsche.

So I guess the perfect age is middle age, if one classes balance as "perfect"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t28ZB1t6gg8

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:42 pm

Heloin wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Profundity of thought belongs to youth, clarity of thought to old age. —Friedrich Nietzsche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t28ZB1t6gg8

Nice use of Homer as a counterargument. :lol:
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:57 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Soviet Technocracy2 wrote:I’ve slept with people over forty, but they don’t give me grift. And kids need machine guns regardless.

Enough. Stop it with the "kids need guns now" routine. One more time and this thread will be shut down and you'll have a warning for advocating illegal activity on your record.

Is it really illegal activity if they're advocating something?

EDIT: And what even defines 'illegal activity'?
Last edited by The World Capitalist Confederation on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:00 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Enough. Stop it with the "kids need guns now" routine. One more time and this thread will be shut down and you'll have a warning for advocating illegal activity on your record.

The advocating illegal activity isn't itself illegal. And illegal activity is activity which is illegal. Are you intentionally splitting hairs for a reason?

Wave on, wave on

Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:08 am

Farnhamia wrote:Enough. Stop it with the "kids need guns now" routine. One more time and this thread will be shut down and you'll have a warning for advocating illegal activity on your record.

Not a mod, but they're basically advocating something illegal in most western nations. Not illegal, per-say, but still a no-no according to the NS rules
العرب الأحرار
I don't use NS Stats, for they are against the will of Liberty and God.

News
Open to TGs

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:16 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Is it really illegal activity if they're advocating something?

The advocating illegal activity isn't itself illegal. And illegal activity is activity which is illegal. Are you intentionally splitting hairs for a reason?

Illegal where? Many places use child soldiers, and whilst, yes, the UN does complain about that, advocating the invasion of Iraq would also be considered advocating illegal activity under the same condition, as it was an illegal war. Because, well...

*Thumps a metaphorical book on the table*
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_the_Iraq_War
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:22 pm

The New California Republic wrote:The advocating illegal activity isn't itself illegal. And illegal activity is activity which is illegal. Are you intentionally splitting hairs for a reason?

Illegal where? Many places use child soldiers, and whilst, yes, the UN does complain about that, advocating the invasion of Iraq would also be considered advocating illegal activity under the same condition, as it was an illegal war. Because, well...

Plenty of places using child soldiers doesn't actually mean that child soldiers are legal in any of those places. The legality of the 2003 Invasion of Iraq doesn't have anything to do with child soldiers.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:47 pm

Heloin wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Illegal where? Many places use child soldiers, and whilst, yes, the UN does complain about that, advocating the invasion of Iraq would also be considered advocating illegal activity under the same condition, as it was an illegal war. Because, well...

Plenty of places using child soldiers doesn't actually mean that child soldiers are legal in any of those places. The legality of the 2003 Invasion of Iraq doesn't have anything to do with child soldiers.

Let me rephrase my point: Both things are illegal because of UN law, correct? And so, advocating both should be considered advocating illegal activity.
Please Watch

Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:50 pm

I’ll admit my deep hatred of teenagers even though I know they aren’t all terrible
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:22 pm

Internationalist Bastard wrote:I’ll admit my deep hatred of teenagers even though I know they aren’t all terrible

Clearly you have access to some deep well of esoteric knowledge us mere mortals are not privet to.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General