NATION

PASSWORD

Is it racist to have ethnic/racial preferences in dating?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it racist to have ethnic/racial dating preferences?

Yes
7%
No
74%
Maybe
16%
Other (please explain)
4%

Total votes : 363

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:03 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:I think golden hair, especially really light gold hair coupled with very pale skin and bright beautiful eyes (of any cold color) is associated with a kind of purity and innocence.

At least that's how I would describe the appeal of blonde.

I just like blondes, specifically blondes with tan (read lightish coloured) or caramel skin and vibrant blue eyes. Then again the blonde thing could be related to my love of gold.

Btw is it any surprise then that the superheroes I find most attractive are Storm and Emma Frost (well also the Cuckoos, bt clones of frost so..)?

Aside, could we please burn the idea of ethno-states into nothingness. No, no ethno-states. Why is it that black-empowerment groups are starting to sound like the Apartheid National Party. Seriously, NO.

Also the institutional definition of racism formed in sociology if I remember correctly, seeing as sociology is more focused on institutional/structural dynamics, of course, it's definition would not account for how individual racism works. The institutional racism is, of course, an issue, but dealing with it will take many generations to undo.
Ambassador Ariela Galadriel Maria Mirase
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:04 pm

Yusseria wrote:I'm a white dude who prefers brown women, so no.

X to doubt
All shall tremble before me

Yusseria
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Yusseria » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:10 pm

Hammer Britannia wrote:
Yusseria wrote:I'm a white dude who prefers brown women, so no.

X to doubt

plz no bulli
Yusseria - The Prussia of NationStates
There is nothing wrong with Islamaphobia

Dagnia
Senator

Founded: Jul 27, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagnia » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:33 pm

Racism can obviously affect your dating preferences but having preferences does not make you a racist. I'm attracted mostly to other white guys in the same way I'm attracted to guys who are reasonably fit and who are within 5 years of my age. I don't hate other races any more than I hate the elderly or the obese (though I hate looking at them sometimes).
Wait an hour, and it will be now again

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:03 pm

It depends.

Find certain traits attractive or certain traits unattractive and they tend to fit in with races no.

Fetishing a race so you only date that is racist.

Determining a race is ugly so you never date them is racist.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Correan
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Correan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:36 pm

It isn't racist at all. What's with people asking such stupid fucking questions?

First American Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby First American Empire » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:38 pm

Free African Union wrote:
Western Vale Confederacy wrote:
Would you look at that, a racist statement!

"Racism is not power plus prejudice, it’s just prejudice." - WVC

It's not racist to point out that the definition accepted by most studying and fighting against it prevents POC from being racist within American society. Power is an important component of racism.

This is specifically the sociological definition of racism. Because it deals only with large-scale phenomena, sociology has some* weird technical definitions that aren't used outside the field. Sociological racism requires both power and prejudice, but the definition of racism used outside sociology only requires prejudice. Many things which would not be considered racist in a sociological context would absolutely be considered racist outside of it, even by the same person.

*The sociological definition that's most different between sociology and everywhere else is the word "meme". This time, it's so different as to be almost completely unrelated to the popular definition.
The American Empire is a socially progressive absolute monarchy run by the heirs of Emperor Norton. It started off at MT but has rapidly advanced to PMT through interdimensional travel. All NSstats are used, except for tax rate and population. Factbooks are currently under reconstruction.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:22 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Confederate States of German America wrote:
TFW when it's 2019 and the Left is supporting Ethno-States and Rightists are getting behind policies of Blanqueamiento.

Half the people yelling at her and calling her out on her bullshit are leftists.

Which implies the other half are rightists. *shrug*

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:25 pm

Greed and Death wrote:It depends.

Find certain traits attractive or certain traits unattractive and they tend to fit in with races no.

Fetishing a race so you only date that is racist.

Determining a race is ugly so you never date them is racist.

Pretty much this. The reason for the preference matters more than the preference.

Though I never cared that much about specific physical traits beyond not being so overweight as to be unhealthy.
Last edited by Novus America on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:30 pm

Katganistan wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:I'll rephrase. White people having ethnic dating preferences will cause a small group of people (who take social justice too far) to lose it. Having ethnic preferences when dating should not be considered racist in and of itself.

And some people are so triggered by people thinking their opinions are crappy that they never fail to snap about how "SJWs ruin everything".

And SJWs attempting to literally shut others down can't possibly be a cause for such hostility. :roll:
Last edited by LiberNovusAmericae on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:31 pm

Novus America wrote:
Institutional racism is not the only form of racism.
Plus being “black” does not mean one has no institutional power either.

Individual black people may achieve positions of power, usually a result of tokenism, but that does not mean that the black community as a whole does not have any significant institutional power. Racist instances from individuals stems from institutional racism; the latter gives power to the former. Therefore those who lack institutional power lack the ability to commit racist acts individually.

The “black community” is not an institution or corporate entity, but certainly there are largely “black” institutions with power. But again you absolutely still can be racist without having the power to do much with it. Many of the most racists people are the least powerful, people who feel powerless often turn to racism to feel more powerful than they are.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:38 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Katganistan wrote:And some people are so triggered by people thinking their opinions are crappy that they never fail to snap about how "SJWs ruin everything".

And SJWs attempting to literally shut others down can't possibly be a cause for such hostility. :roll:

SJW, SJW. Instead of harping on that overtired term, why not use "people who believe in treating everyone fairly, and call out people who want to treat groups they don't like as inherently shittier than them"?

It's always a name. SJW, Feminazi (though surprise surprise, that one's fallen by the wayside lately), cuck, snowflake, triggered.....

It's honestly laughable that in some quarters, opinions can't be discussed without the names and epithets being hurled.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:40 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Saiwania wrote:
Don't be a race traitor. If too many blonde men are kept from pairing with blonde women, the blondes you like aren't going to be around anymore or will be in shorter supply. Maybe genetic engineering can micromanage skin color and other attributes regardless of who the parents are, but its too expensive and complicated for the majority of people. We aren't there yet.

"Dont be a race traitor" actually get over yourself.

Wait until Sai learns that every member of Hitler's Aryan experiment (Blonde hair/Blue eyed women pair with Blond haired/Blue eyed men) produced only brunettes with brown eyes.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:44 pm

Saiwania wrote:I found a Filipina woman to be physically attractive, I found her beautiful and was aroused but I refused an opportunity to have sex with her because she wasn't White, and because I wasn't Filipino like she was. Is that racist in most people's view?

Remember that I chose what was the greater good from my perspective. At worst, she might've been hurt by rejection but think of the purity of her family line that was preserved and the possible economic insecurity I spared her from.

I like to think of myself as like an Adam that said no to Eve. I won against temptation and my reward is a clear conscience. The victory is quite hollow however, for it was also a sacrifice. It was one of my only chances to have sex but I had the foresight and control to not just "go for it." I might've not derived potential enjoyment from a new experience, but I chose the path that was better in terms of long term consequences.

A. TMI bro.
B. You're an admitted racist, so yes, it is racist.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:46 pm

New haven america wrote:Wait until Sai learns that every member of Hitler's Aryan experiment (Blonde hair/Blue eyed women pair with Blond haired/Blue eyed men) produced only brunettes with brown eyes.

I'd call into question the accuracy of that. Obviously a Blonde couple will produce a Blonde child, unless their genetics weren't pure from the beginning and one or both lines had an ancestor who's not Blonde.

Genetic engineering would arguably be superior to natural means of determining attributes because the "way a person appears" can be micromanaged in a lab before birth while conversely, with most reproduction there is too much random chance that can happen, thus making for some very upset parents and families on occasion.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:51 pm

Saiwania wrote:
New haven america wrote:Wait until Sai learns that every member of Hitler's Aryan experiment (Blonde hair/Blue eyed women pair with Blond haired/Blue eyed men) produced only brunettes with brown eyes.

Obviously a Blonde couple will produce a Blonde children

Except they didn't, they only produced brunettes with brown eyes.

Lebensborn was a complete and utter failure.
Last edited by New haven america on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:53 pm

Katganistan wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:And SJWs attempting to literally shut others down can't possibly be a cause for such hostility. :roll:

SJW, SJW. Instead of harping on that overtired term, why not use "people who believe in treating everyone fairly, and call out people who want to treat groups they don't like as inherently shittier than them"?

I'm not using that definition you have, because it is biased and a lie. I'm not going after people who are merely socially liberal. I'm going after people who heckle opposing speakers, and complain about "mansplainers" and the like. You are simply so biased on this issue that you actually think I'm fighting for suppression of minority groups.

Oranjea
Secretary

Founded: Jan 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Oranjea » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:55 pm

New haven america wrote:
Saiwania wrote:
Obviously a Blonde couple will produce a Blonde children

Except they didn't, they only produced brunettes with brown eyes.

Lebensborn was a complete and utter failure.

"Only"? I doubt that. You're telling me not a single blonde or blue eyed person was born from the program? Do you have a source?

Furthermore, the idea that the Nazis thought only blonde haired blue eyed types were "Aryan" is false. Most Germans are not blonde, and the Nazis had multiple racial classifications ("Nordic" "Alpine" "Mediterranean") for "Aryans". "Nordic" was the only group thought to be mainly blonde, and not even uniformly. I doubt that hair color was actually a requirement of the lebensborn program.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:58 pm

New haven america wrote:
Saiwania wrote:I found a Filipina woman to be physically attractive, I found her beautiful and was aroused but I refused an opportunity to have sex with her because she wasn't White, and because I wasn't Filipino like she was. Is that racist in most people's view?

Remember that I chose what was the greater good from my perspective. At worst, she might've been hurt by rejection but think of the purity of her family line that was preserved and the possible economic insecurity I spared her from.

I like to think of myself as like an Adam that said no to Eve. I won against temptation and my reward is a clear conscience. The victory is quite hollow however, for it was also a sacrifice. It was one of my only chances to have sex but I had the foresight and control to not just "go for it." I might've not derived potential enjoyment from a new experience, but I chose the path that was better in terms of long term consequences.

A. TMI bro.
B. You're an admitted racist, so yes, it is racist.

I at first I was just going to reject his arguments out of fractal wrongness (not only is the overall argument wrong, every part supporting it is) and also being TMI/gross.

But actually it shows internal conflict and self doubt.
Meaning his white nationalist castle is built on sand.
There may be hope for him yet, internal conflict and doubt from your beliefs being challenged is the first step towards reassessment, and possibly reform.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:59 pm

Katganistan wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:And SJWs attempting to literally shut others down can't possibly be a cause for such hostility. :roll:

That's because that's not what they want. (Before I get into this, I fully believe any argument that uses SJW in a serious sense should just be ignored)

People who are SJW's don't want everyone's lives to be easier, no, they want it to be so groups who have been wronged in the past get justice by wronging the groups they feel caused it. They don't equality and peace, they want revenge. It's like how MRA's, extreme feminists, etc... believe they're supporting a good cause, and on the surface it might look nice, but when you dig deeper into what they want then their true colors start showing.
Last edited by New haven america on Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Free African Union
Envoy

Founded: Mar 09, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Free African Union » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:18 pm

Novus America wrote:
Free African Union wrote:Individual black people may achieve positions of power, usually a result of tokenism, but that does not mean that the black community as a whole does not have any significant institutional power. Racist instances from individuals stems from institutional racism; the latter gives power to the former. Therefore those who lack institutional power lack the ability to commit racist acts individually.

The “black community” is not an institution or corporate entity, but certainly there are largely “black” institutions with power. But again you absolutely still can be racist without having the power to do much with it. Many of the most racists people are the least powerful, people who feel powerless often turn to racism to feel more powerful than they are.

I would agree that working class white people have been some of the most vocal supporters of racism within the United States. That is exactly what the bourgeoisie want.
Freedom for all oppressed people of color. Proud sci-fi and fantasy geek. I particularly like space opera, dark fantasy, and cosmic horror. Socialist through and through.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:21 pm

Saiwania wrote:

I'd call into question the accuracy of that. Obviously a Blonde couple will produce a Blonde child, unless their genetics weren't pure from the beginning and one or both lines had an ancestor who's not Blonde.

Genetic engineering would arguably be superior to natural means of determining attributes because the "way a person appears" can be micromanaged in a lab before birth while conversely, with most reproduction there is too much random chance that can happen, thus making for some very upset parents and families on occasion.

Most peoples aren't. Hell I'd call into question the very concept of "pureness".
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:30 pm

Novus America wrote:
Institutional racism is not the only form of racism.
Plus being “black” does not mean one has no institutional power either.

Individual black people may achieve positions of power, usually a result of tokenism, but that does not mean that the black community as a whole does not have any significant institutional power. Racist instances from individuals stems from institutional racism; the latter gives power to the former. Therefore those who lack institutional power lack the ability to commit racist acts individually.

Bull-fucking-shit of the highest order (Well, not highest, but close to).

You're going on as if institutional racism (Prejudice+Power) is the only type that exists, when that's furthest thing from the truth, as individual racism (Prejudice) is just as powerful and prevalent within society. People who say that discrimination can't exist without power are honestly just looking for an excuse to be discriminatory and not be called on their shitty behavior.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Free African Union
Envoy

Founded: Mar 09, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Free African Union » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:31 pm

New haven america wrote:
Free African Union wrote:Individual black people may achieve positions of power, usually a result of tokenism, but that does not mean that the black community as a whole does not have any significant institutional power. Racist instances from individuals stems from institutional racism; the latter gives power to the former. Therefore those who lack institutional power lack the ability to commit racist acts individually.

Bull-fucking-shit of the highest order (Well, not highest, but close to).

You're going on as if institutional racism (Prejudice+Power) is the only type that exists, when that's furthest thing from the truth, as individual racism (Prejudice) is just as powerful and prevalent within society. People who say that discrimination can't exist without power are honestly just looking for an excuse to be discriminatory and not be called on their shitty behavior.

It's not the only kind but it's the source for the other kinds. Institutional racism is the trunk while the others are branches. No trunk, no branch. POC do not have a trunk, white people do.
Freedom for all oppressed people of color. Proud sci-fi and fantasy geek. I particularly like space opera, dark fantasy, and cosmic horror. Socialist through and through.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:35 pm

New haven america wrote:Bull-fucking-shit of the highest order (Well, not highest, but close to).

It's not the only kind but it's the source for the other kinds.

Nope.

All discrimination comes from individuals of a community that then spreads to the largest bureaucracies and organizations, not the reverse. It's a disease and every community is susceptible to it. (Hell, some of the most racist people I've known were black and Mexican)
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General