NATION

PASSWORD

50 Dead After New Zealand Terrorist Attack

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:39 am

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:Get your own thread. Or a blog. You are way off topic.

I don't see how it's off topic to talk about the dynamic behind these shootings and the overall conflict between the Muslim community, the west, and how political policy is the root of it. Just because it isn't your preferred frame of reference for the topic doesn't mean it's not legitimate.

We have people discussing the views of the shooter and where they originate from here already. Perhaps you could explain how i've gone off it, i'm happy to abide by a line if you explain where it is.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Borinsa
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Borinsa » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:41 am

Cetacea wrote:
Racist Commonwelath of East Virginia wrote:This was going to happen sooner or later. You can't deny that the muslims didn't bring this upon themselves. There's no justifying what happened but do you think it would have happened if muslims were more proactive about making sure that they don't scare people of generous western host countries?

P.S. This is a mass shooting not a terrorist act

You're an idiot and as a New Zealander I am personally offended by your statement.

First of all New Zealand is not a western nation, we're southern and closer to Asia than to Europe.

and the fact is there have been other 4 terrorist incidents in modern New Zealand history and all of them have been perpetrated by Europeans (the 1982 Punk Rock bomb attack on the National Law Enforcement Computer, the Bombing of the Trades Hall in 1984 and the 1985 Sinking of the Rainbow Warrior by French spies)

There have been Muslims in Christchurch since the 1850s and Muslims are well integrated into society. With most New Zealand Muslims originating in India (Gujarati), Eastern Europe, Somalia, Lebanon, Malayasia and Iran the New Zealand Muslim community is very peaceful and pretty moderate in its views,

This latest attack further highlights that it is not Muslims that we need to be scared of, its the right wing white supremacist being triggered by internet extremism.
Christchurch has long had a racist white supremacist presence and so its likely that this Australian terrorist who attacked the Christchurch mosque had local support in the Christchurch area- especially as its not easy to get semi-automatic weapons in New Zealand without a licence.

SO keep your deluded rhetoric to yourself, there is no place for it here

New Zealand is a western nation culturally (or at least its been ever since the British took it from the Maori), it's not a geographic term.

Anyway yes, this was an act of terror. And yes the muslims of New Zealand are more moderate than those in Europe,
and of course all historical New Zelander attacks were comitted by whites, purely for demographic reasons.

All though I do not support islam or any other religion like it, I do in fact condemn this person who killed all these people.
This man clearly was attacking muslims for being mostly non-white rather than for their views, and that is despicable.

The only people who have the right to complain about immigration to New Zealand are the Maori.
Population; 4,307,167 Land Area; 28,847.29 sqkm Pop. Density; 149.3 people per sqkm
Capital City; Rosgrava Official Language; Borinsan Currency; Borin
GDP per capita; 8,017.88 USD GDP; 34,534,348,145.96 USD Exchange rate; 1.00 USD = 2.24 Borins
Majority Faith; Catholic (93.7%) Atheism Rate; 5.8% Atheist Majority ethnicity; Borinsan 98.95%
Small southeastern European country, not part of EU or Schengen zone, is however part of NATO.

Borinsa's Liberal Values;
Climate Change is real, Gay Rights, Pro-Vaccination, Secularism, Round Earth
Borinsa's Conservative Values;
Nativism, Anti-Islam/sharia law, Borinsa First, Only two genders, Anti-flouridation, Pro-life, Privilege is scapegoating, right to privacy.

*Borinsa is on the fence on gun rights

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:41 am

Aureumterra wrote:
Lost Memories wrote:This is a piece i was missing. So There Are gun laws in NZ, just this guy found a way around them?

I find it funny how the left celebrated New Zealand as the success of global gun control, and this happened

What are you talking about ? New Zealand has no global gun control. Assault rifles are freely available.

Though that may change now: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... rch-attack
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Borinsa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Borinsa » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:41 am

Aureumterra wrote:
Lost Memories wrote:This is a piece i was missing. So There Are gun laws in NZ, just this guy found a way around them?

I find it funny how the left celebrated New Zealand as the success of global gun control, and this happened

It doesn't matter if they are legal or not, people who want guns will get guns.
Population; 4,307,167 Land Area; 28,847.29 sqkm Pop. Density; 149.3 people per sqkm
GDP per capita; 8,017.88 USD GDP; 34,534,348,145.96 USD Exchange rate; 1.00 USD = 2.24 Borins
Majority Faith; Catholic (93.7%) Atheism Rate; 5.8% Atheist Majority ethnicity; Borinsan 98.95%
Small southeastern European country, not part of EU or Schengen zone, is however part of NATO.

Nativism, Anti-Islam/sharia law, Borinsa First, Only two genders, Anti-flouridation, Pro-life, Privilege is scapegoating, right to privacy.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:43 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:Get your own thread. Or a blog. You are way off topic.

I don't see how it's off topic to talk about the dynamic behind these shootings and the overall conflict between the Muslim community, the west, and how political policy is the root of it. Just because it isn't your preferred frame of reference for the topic doesn't mean it's not legitimate.

It is however a bit odd if the muslim community in Christchurch is perfectly integrated and contributing, and has been for almost 150 years.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:44 am

Cetacea wrote:New Zealand is not a western nation

Yes it is
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:46 am

Aureumterra wrote:

I think you're confusing New Zealand with Australia.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Saskovia
Attaché

Founded: Apr 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Saskovia » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:51 am

Vassenor wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:I find it funny how the left celebrated New Zealand as the success of global gun control, and this happened

Which is like a kind of racist. I know you aren’t being racist, but when you confuse us two, it kinda feels like racism, ya know?!
Nazřodirespúblyka Saškovoja
Official Name: The People's Republic of Saskovia
Capital: Žermoni Gory
Official Language: ježyk saškovoju
Population: 6,775,800
President: Jostan Decić
Religion: Orthodox Christianity

hi

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:51 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

It is however a bit odd if the muslim community in Christchurch is perfectly integrated and contributing, and has been for almost 150 years.

Yep. This is a part of a wider problem in the discussion. Muslims in the US for instance are usually more mainstream in their views than the fundamentalist christians. Bosnian Muslims are average for europe in terms of tolerance, coming out ahead of some uberchristian countries.

For this, however; New Zealand muslims and their political organizations wrote letters to 52 Muslim countries demanding a total boycott of New Zealand goods in response to a newspaper publishing images of the prophet Mohammed, requested government intervention, and forced the paper to back down.

There's been a lot of holocaust denial from their preachers to the point the far-right when in opposition demanded Labour denounce it, which they refused to do on the mewling basis that the exact incidents specified had occurred chronologically before their time in office.

And then there was the christchutch attack. That appears to be all I can find on the matter. I cannot find data on their views, but what is there isn't promising.

None of this justifies a terror attack. What it does suggest is that, perhaps due to their being only 1% of the population, New Zealand hasn't particularly paid much attention to them or their views. This doesn't support the shooters narrative either.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Borinsa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Borinsa » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:58 am

Saskovia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Which is like a kind of racist. I know you aren’t being racist, but when you confuse us two, it kinda feels like racism, ya know?!

Australian and Kiwi are nationalities not ethnicities and both of them are basically mostly just Anglo-Saxon settlers anyway.
The Australian constitution even says that New Zealand is part of their country (even though it isn't)
Last edited by Borinsa on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sneudal
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 09, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sneudal » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:01 pm

Aureumterra wrote:

Let's not go around and pretend like it would matter even a bit.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:02 pm

Lost Memories wrote:
Cetacea wrote:Christchurch has long had a racist white supremacist presence and so its likely that this Australian terrorist who attacked the Christchurch mosque had local support in the Christchurch area- especially as its not easy to get semi-automatic weapons in New Zealand without a licence.

This is a piece i was missing. So There Are gun laws in NZ, just this guy found a way around them?
Have there been other cases of violent racism before in that area? Something to give the indication of the white supremacist presence you speak of?

New Zealand Gun Control involve Gun Licence and Police Vetting, but arent that strict really
Use of a Gun in New Zealand requires a Gun licence which are issued at the discretion of the police (following vetting for 'good character' and mental health). Guns can only lawfully be possessed, carried and used for hunting, pest control, farming and sports. They may not lawfully be carried for self defense.

No magazine can have more than 7 rounds (and 10 round magazines must be modified)
Pistols, semi-automatic rifles and shotguns require a special licence category and further vetting
Restricted Weapons include machine guns, selective-fire assault rifles, grenades and rocket launchers.

As to Christchurch being the NZ Home of White Supremacist:
Article from 2011, back when the main focus was against too many Asians immigrating http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/498799 ... premacists
or a couple more violent incidents https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Re ... aland_gang)
Last edited by Cetacea on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Borinsa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Borinsa » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:02 pm

Saskovia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Wait...
Only 1% of New Zealand of muslim but you're saying MOST of your country feels unsafe right now?
Are you afraid of some sort of retaliation of some sort?

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Sneudal wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:I find it funny how the left celebrated New Zealand as the success of global gun control, and this happened

Let's not go around and pretend like it would matter even a bit.

It does matter a bit that he is lying. New Zealand is practically a posterchild of how the NRA believes things should be; with very lax laws and practically no registration.

Borinsa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Borinsa » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Cetacea wrote:
Have there been other cases of violent racism before in that area? Something to give the indication of the white supremacist presence you speak of?

New Zealand Gun Control involve Gun Licence and Police Vetting, but arent that strict really
Use of a Gun in New Zealand requires a Gun licence which are issued at the discretion of the police (following vetting for 'good character' and mental health). Guns can only lawfully be possessed, carried and used for hunting, pest control, farming and sports. They may not lawfully be used for self defense.

No magazine can have more than 7 rounds (and 10 round magazines must be modified)
Pistols, semi-automatic rifles and shotguns require a special licence category and further vetting
Restricted Weapons include machine guns, selective-fire assault rifles, grenades and rocket launchers.

As to Christchurch being the NZ Home of White Supremacist:
Article from 2011, back when the main focus was against too many Asians immigrating http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/498799 ... premacists
or a couple more violent incidents https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Re ... aland_gang)

Third world slum?
I thought asians were supposed to be better than whites.
Is the smart asian stereotype just an American thing?

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:28 pm

I shouldn’t be laughing at the latest memes...

Torrocca
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Torrocca » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:31 pm

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:I shouldn’t be laughing at the latest memes...

What the fuck.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They call me Torra, but you can call me... anytime (☞⌐■_■)☞
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NOTICE 1: Anything depicted IC on this nation does NOT reflect my IRL views or values, and is not endorsed by me.
NOTICE 2: Most RP and every OOC post by me prior to 2023 are no longer endorsed nor tolerated by me. I've since put on my adult pants!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:40 pm

Probably not. The "meme" is a lazy fucking mechanism which has become commonplace in regard to just about every situation humans can find themselves in. Those responsible for this incident are relying upon exactly this mechanism to do their work for them.
They have planned this and taken careful aim where they needed to hit to create the highest impact. It's there to cause division. You may laugh at it, but to another audience it's abhorrent and there we help the division propagate.
We're in danger of letting these bastards win, the societal challenge triggers they've pulled are the correct ones to further the spat that's been brewing for a while in our ignorance.
Call me Sham

-"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity.
Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Shamhnan Insir started this wonderful tranquility, ALL PRAISE THE SHEPHERD KING

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:44 pm

Torrocca wrote:

What the fuck.

No, like, seriously, what the actual fuck.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:46 pm

Yeah thats a pretty poor taste thing to do.

Im more shocked there are memes about this less than a day after it happened. Shouldnt be too surprised though i guess knowing the internet.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Borinsa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Borinsa » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:47 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Torrocca wrote:
What the fuck.

I knew a meme would come around eventually but this is literally too soon. You're supposed to wait at least five years.

Bun Queen
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Bun Queen » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:47 pm

Don't feel bad not all memes are bad like for example light hearted memes. You can laugh at those however, do avoid laughing at dark humor memes like

Hitler, 9/11, White Power, and other memes that use human suffering for laughs.
Basic Information About Me

I'm a 23 year old female Swiss College student, when I'm bored or when I have time to myself I like to hop on NSG and join in on some friendly discussions!

Dislikes: Politics

Loben
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:50 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Torrocca wrote:
What the fuck.

what is it "international be a debby downer day"?

Borinsa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Borinsa » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:50 pm

Bun Queen wrote:

Don't feel bad not all memes are bad like for example light hearted memes. You can laugh at those however, do avoid laughing at dark humor memes like

Hitler, 9/11, White Power, and other memes that use human suffering for laughs.

I say dark memes are okay if it's been long enough.
Hitler was a narcisist and the last thing he would want is someone poking fun at him, so in a way memes of him are sort of like part of his soul's punishment in a way.

Borinsa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Borinsa » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:50 pm

Loben wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

what is it "international be a debby downer day"?

Yes, currently an Australian man is in the lead.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General