NATION

PASSWORD

Right Wing Discussion Thread XV: A New Hoppe

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

To what ethical philosophy do you subscribe?

Ethical Egoism
11%
Act Utilitarianism
6%
Rule Utilitarianism
6%
Kantian Ethics
5%
Virtue Ethics
17%
Nihilism/YOLO
16%
Radical Subjectivism
2%
Cultural Relativism
3%
Divine Command Theory
16%
Natural Law Theory
18%

Total votes : 112

Shanhwa
Envoy

Founded: Mar 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanhwa » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:20 am

Painisia wrote:Are there any Venezuelans on NS, or is NS banned in Venezuela?

I doubt many Venezuelans have running water, much less internet connection.
The Free State of Shanhwa

自由州的山红瓦

Alt-universe and alt-account of Sicaris.

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:21 am

Shanhwa wrote:
Painisia wrote:Are there any Venezuelans on NS, or is NS banned in Venezuela?

I doubt many Venezuelans have running water, much less internet connection.

Off the top of my head, I know of 2 Venezuelan NSers

Those being: Stanier (Who is running away from Venezuela) and a guy who CTE but is still active on Discord
Last edited by Hammer Britannia on Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
All shall tremble before me

Shanhwa
Envoy

Founded: Mar 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanhwa » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:23 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:Image
(Note: Those cowering on the floor before Emperor Basil II "The Bulgar-Slayer" are all the corrupt oligarchs and politicians who got rich off the People. Basil used corporal punishment - blinding, torture and expropriation of property - to root out corruption and make sure the Government ran efficiently; he also protected the rights of the People; by which I mean the Peasants, Artisans, ordinary working folk. He stabilized the Empire during a time of crisis, and his reign was something of a Golden Age; not to mention the longest of any Byzantine Emperor; from 976 AD - 1025 AD. The only other people who ever came close to this in Modern Greek History was the Military Junta of 1967 - 1974. I might add that neither the Emperor nor the Junta believed in Democracy or Liberalism, and they managed to take good care of their People - better than any Democrat has ever managed. How is this possible? Democrats, discuss!)

>> when I wake up to some low-grade autocracy apologism

Tell me more about how the junta totally didn't arbitrarily arrest, murder, and torture thousands of Greek citizens on trumped-on charges. I also enjoy the rampant nepotism, corruption, waste, and factionalism during the seven short years of the regime.

Basil II was okay by the standards of his time, but I wouldn't attribute any greatness to him.

1967-1974 Greek flag > lighter blue Greek flag

You can’t change my mind.
The Free State of Shanhwa

自由州的山红瓦

Alt-universe and alt-account of Sicaris.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:23 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:Why not? What wasn't great about Basil? Why is he subpar in your eyes?

He's not subpar. More par. The way I see monarchy is that monarchy essentially mandates aristocracy, but any aristocracy is inevitably opposed to the royal party; as such, his positions against the aristocracy are not particularly surprising or exceptional. If I were a Greek nationalist or a Byzie supporter I might feel better about his military exploits, but as I'm neither, they just get a shrug from me.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:25 am

Broke: Porphyrogenitus

Woke: N O V U S H O M O
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:27 am

Shanhwa wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:>> when I wake up to some low-grade autocracy apologism

Tell me more about how the junta totally didn't arbitrarily arrest, murder, and torture thousands of Greek citizens on trumped-on charges. I also enjoy the rampant nepotism, corruption, waste, and factionalism during the seven short years of the regime.

Basil II was okay by the standards of his time, but I wouldn't attribute any greatness to him.

You're not wrong

Then you have the flag of Northern Epirus
All shall tremble before me

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:33 am

Hammer Britannia wrote:
Shanhwa wrote:

You're not wrong

Then you have the flag of Northern Epirus

Ελλινεσ?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:42 am

A republic is essentially a pack of wolves, one and all, seeking and eating whatever it can. Wolves, as one will remember, are scavengers and omnivores, and the predecessors of dogs. We can engage in brilliant tactics to eliminate prey much larger and stronger than ourselves, or we can eat our vomit, vomit it up, and eat it again; and then squabble over who gets to eat the biggest share of vomit. Depends on the day.

The monarch and their party are lions; the aristocracy, servals; the people, mice. The servals eat the mice, and so are despised by them; but the lion eats the servals, and so are beloved by the mice (so long as times are not hard enough, or the lion not gluttonous enough, to gorge themselves on mice instead). But what cares a lion for the mice? They share an interest in seeing the servals eaten, perhaps, but ultimately, the life of the lion depends on servals eating the mice.

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:45 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
The Galactic Liberal Democracy wrote:>when the monarchs don’t get to fuck with the people anymore and steal their money

(Note: Those cowering on the floor before Emperor Basil II "The Bulgar-Slayer" are all the corrupt oligarchs and politicians who got rich off the People. Basil used corporal punishment - blinding, torture and expropriation of property - to root out corruption and make sure the Government ran efficiently; he also protected the rights of the People; by which I mean the Peasants, Artisans, ordinary working folk. He stabilized the Empire during a time of crisis, and his reign was something of a Golden Age; not to mention the longest of any Byzantine Emperor; from 976 AD - 1025 AD. The only other people who ever came close to this in Modern Greek History was the Military Junta of 1967 - 1974. I might add that neither the Emperor nor the Junta believed in Democracy or Liberalism, and they managed to take good care of their People - better than any Democrat has ever managed. How is this possible? Democrats, discuss!)

Brutality does not befit democracy.

Authoritarians, gerroff.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:09 am

Minzerland II wrote:
The Galactic Liberal Democracy wrote:>when the monarchs don’t get to fuck with the people anymore and steal their money

>when democratically elected oligarchs steal your money and fuck your people instead

I prefer elected oligarchs to ones by birth.
At least I have some say in picking the better ones and removing the worst.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Vrijstaat Limburg
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Vrijstaat Limburg » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:11 am

Novus America wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:>when democratically elected oligarchs steal your money and fuck your people instead

"At least I have some say in picking the better ones and removing the worst."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Economic Left/Right: 8.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.74

AmericanValues results

My personal voting record:
- Dutch parliamentary elections of 2021: Mr. Kees van der Staaij (Lijst 11 Reformed Political Party)
FÜRECH JOT
EER DIENGE JOUVERNEUR
DOT JET JOTS VEUR ET VOADERLAN

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:14 am

Totally Not OEP
Minister

Founded: Mar 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Not OEP » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:31 am

Basil II receives a lot of (justly deserved) admiration, but it does seem wrong that it's to the extent that his predecessor is comparatively forgotten. John I Tzimiskes laid much of the administrative foundation that Basil built upon while also managing to take the fight to the Islamic foes to the East of the Romans, reconquering Syria and coming close to even retaking Jerusalem; his untimely death prevented the Byzantines from properly securing these conquests, alas, and Basil ended up more focused in European affairs. Despite his Eastern orientation, however, John was no slouch in Europe either and annexed Bulgaria. John also, as a last great act for his Roman subjects, posthumously bequeathed his personal fortune to the poor and sick.
Last edited by Totally Not OEP on Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
We shoot .223's
We'll take your life
We out with the gang
You know we gon' slide

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:43 am

Totally Not OEP wrote:Basil II receives a lot of (justly deserved) admiration, but it does seem wrong that it's to the extent that his predecessor is comparatively forgotten. John I Tzimiskes laid much of the administrative foundation that Basil built upon while also managing to take the fight to the Islamic foes to the East of the Romans, reconquering Syria and coming close to even retaking Jerusalem; his untimely death prevented the Byzantines from properly securing these conquests, alas, and Basil ended up more focused in European affairs. Despite his Eastern orientation, however, John was no slouch in Europe either and annexed Bulgaria. John also, as a last great act for his Roman subjects, posthumously bequeathed his personal fortune to the poor and sick.

Everybody forgets Nikephoros II Phokas (ruled: 963 AD - 969 AD) too; "the White Death of the Saracens"; the Liberator of Crete, he also went after oligarchs and corrupt Bishops, even. He also contributed to the founding of the first Monasteries on Mount Athos; and he is regarded as a Saint by the Orthodox Church. John Tzimiskes (Nikephoros' nephew, if I'm not mistaken) and several other aristocratic conspirators snuck into the Imperial Bedchamber on the night of December 11th, 969, and stabbed the sovereign to death. Its almost certain that the coup had the cooperation of the Empress Regent Theophano, and the obsequious Parakomoimenos Basil Lekapenos.

Last edited by Nea Byzantia on Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:51 am

Novus America wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:>when democratically elected oligarchs steal your money and fuck your people instead

You have no say in an Oligarchy.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:52 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:John Tzimiskes (Nikephoros' nephew, if I'm not mistaken) and several other aristocratic conspirators snuck into the Imperial Bedchamber on the night of December 11th, 969, and stabbed the sovereign to death.

nothing like a well-established mechanism for the transfer of power that gives political actors incentives to behave well amirite lol
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:54 am

Senkaku wrote:nothing like a well-established mechanism for the transfer of power that gives political actors incentives to behave well amirite lol

This is why you need the approval of the SENATE and the LEGIONS, not of court castrati who are a violation of Roman law to begin with and bureaucrats who should be peregrini and freedmen by all rights, smh.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:01 am

Senkaku wrote:nothing like a well-established mechanism for the transfer of power that gives political actors incentives to behave well amirite lol

This is why you need the approval of the SENATE and the LEGIONS, not of court castrati who are a violation of Roman law to begin with and bureaucrats who should be peregrini and freedmen by all rights, smh.

legion who? i don't know her, in THIS house the military is the servant of the state >:|

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:02 am

The Eastern Roman Empire DID have a Senate; but it was essentially just a formality by the 10th century; a continuation of the sycophantic and spineless Institution of the Principate days. Real political power lay with the Military and the approval of the Church. These types of palace coups rarely worked out well. Empress Theophano was exiled shortly after the events of December 11th (the Patriarch of Constantinople refused to crown John Tzimiskes as Emperor if he didn't banish the Scarlet Empress), and as for the eunuch Basil Lekapenos, Emperor Basil II (ruled: 976 AD - 1025 AD) had him deposed and blinded in 980. He was the first of the powerful Oligarchs - or Dynatoi to fall to Basil's purges. He wouldn't be the last.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:04 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:This is why you need the approval of the SENATE and the LEGIONS, not of court castrati who are a violation of Roman law to begin with and bureaucrats who should be peregrini and freedmen by all rights, smh.

The Eastern Roman Empire DID have a Senate; but it was essentially just a formality by the 10th century; a continuation of the sycophantic and spineless Institution of the Principate days. Real political power lay with the Military and the approval of the Church. These types of palace coups rarely worked out well. Empress Theophano was exiled shortly after the events of December 11th (the Patriarch of Constantinople refused to crown John Tzimiskes as Emperor if he didn't banish the Scarlet Empress), and as for the eunuch Basil Lekapenos, Emperor Basil II (ruled: 976 AD - 1025 AD) had him deposed and blinded in 980. He was the first of the powerful Oligarchs - or Dynatoi to fall to Basil's purges. He wouldn't be the last.

While this does all sound like great novel material, purges and palace coups leading to exiles and blindings and such are not usually a sign of a particularly effective or desirable political system lol
Last edited by Senkaku on Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Totally Not OEP
Minister

Founded: Mar 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Not OEP » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:06 am

Senkaku wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:The Eastern Roman Empire DID have a Senate; but it was essentially just a formality by the 10th century; a continuation of the sycophantic and spineless Institution of the Principate days. Real political power lay with the Military and the approval of the Church. These types of palace coups rarely worked out well. Empress Theophano was exiled shortly after the events of December 11th (the Patriarch of Constantinople refused to crown John Tzimiskes as Emperor if he didn't banish the Scarlet Empress), and as for the eunuch Basil Lekapenos, Emperor Basil II (ruled: 976 AD - 1025 AD) had him deposed and blinded in 980. He was the first of the powerful Oligarchs - or Dynatoi to fall to Basil's purges. He wouldn't be the last.

While this does all sound like great novel material, purges and palace coups leading to exiles and blindings and such are not usually a sign of a particularly effective or desirable political system lol

By our modern sensibilities, yes. For the standards of the time, however, it was a relatively effective system.
We shoot .223's
We'll take your life
We out with the gang
You know we gon' slide

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:11 am

Senkaku wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:The Eastern Roman Empire DID have a Senate; but it was essentially just a formality by the 10th century; a continuation of the sycophantic and spineless Institution of the Principate days. Real political power lay with the Military and the approval of the Church. These types of palace coups rarely worked out well. Empress Theophano was exiled shortly after the events of December 11th (the Patriarch of Constantinople refused to crown John Tzimiskes as Emperor if he didn't banish the Scarlet Empress), and as for the eunuch Basil Lekapenos, Emperor Basil II (ruled: 976 AD - 1025 AD) had him deposed and blinded in 980. He was the first of the powerful Oligarchs - or Dynatoi to fall to Basil's purges. He wouldn't be the last.

Political intrigue and power-plays are normal parts of History. What is RussiaGate and the Mueller Debacle in the United States, but a series of intrigues between the Republicans and Democrats? Only the naive believe that political stability and control can be eternal. Changes of Dynasty and Leadership are just a normal part of the ebb and flow of Civilizations. That's universal, regardless of what political ideology or system a given State functions under.
Last edited by Nea Byzantia on Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Torrocca
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Torrocca » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:18 am

Totally Not OEP wrote:
Torrocca wrote:
On the one hand, a stupid statement like, "lol commies all bad xD," does fall under the "all X are Y" rule. On the other... I don't think it's that meriting of an unofficial warning for a trivial one-off, especially when compared to all the much worse rulebreaking shit. On the third, and semi-unrelated to those two hands, I'd believe your statements of respect were more genuine if you referred to me as I prefer being referred to on here.

To what are you referring to?

I mean, how many times has it been that you've referred to me as Tor (a fucking browsing system) since I came out as trans, or Torrocca when literally next to nobody ever uses full nation names on this site?

That's what I'm talking about. I don't think these statements of respect are genuine because of that. But whatever.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They call me Torra, but you can call me... anytime (☞⌐■_■)☞
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NOTICE 1: Anything depicted IC on this nation does NOT reflect my IRL views or values, and is not endorsed by me.
NOTICE 2: Most RP and every OOC post by me prior to 2023 are no longer endorsed nor tolerated by me. I've since put on my adult pants!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:25 am

Senkaku wrote:
legion who? i don't know her, in THIS house the military is the servant of the state >:|

>> implying that the Legions weren't loyal servants of the Res Publica

Titus... get the cross.
Nea Byzantia wrote:The Eastern Roman Empire DID have a Senate; but it was essentially just a formality by the 10th century; a continuation of the sycophantic and spineless Institution of the Principate days.

During the days of the Principate, outside of the reigns of Augustus and Tiberius, the Senate was neither spineless nor sycophantic. It is exactly that view, however, that made the Byzies such degenerates.

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:27 am

Torrocca wrote:
Totally Not OEP wrote:
To what are you referring to?

I mean, how many times has it been that you've referred to me as Tor (a fucking browsing system) since I came out as trans, or Torrocca when literally next to nobody ever uses full nation names on this site?

That's what I'm talking about. I don't think these statements of respect are genuine because of that. But whatever.

There's no such thing as a standardized nickname for someone; people call me Proct or Procto interchangeably, even friends. Why is it a concern if you're called Tor or Torr?
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General