NATION

PASSWORD

Right Wing Discussion Thread XV: A New Hoppe

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

To what ethical philosophy do you subscribe?

Ethical Egoism
11%
Act Utilitarianism
6%
Rule Utilitarianism
6%
Kantian Ethics
5%
Virtue Ethics
17%
Nihilism/YOLO
16%
Radical Subjectivism
2%
Cultural Relativism
3%
Divine Command Theory
16%
Natural Law Theory
18%

Total votes : 112

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:56 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:I never said America's empire was stable or long-lasting, did I? A lot are going their own way, since the Soviet threat went away.

Few ever refused to go their own way. I guess we basically ran West Germany for a time.

When I say "Empire", I'm not talking like the Roman Empire, or the Russian Empire; I'm talking more like a "Great Power" (which is an Empire in a lot of ways), if that's less confusing for you all.

I'm also going to make an educated guess that you're all Americans (except maybe Old Tyrannia), aren't you?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:57 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Few ever refused to go their own way. I guess we basically ran West Germany for a time.

When I say "Empire", I'm not talking like the Roman Empire, or the Russian Empire; I'm talking more like a "Great Power" (which is an Empire in a lot of ways), if that's less confusing for you all.

I'm also going to make an educated guess that you're all Americans (except maybe Old Tyrannia), aren't you?

I'm an American who thinks we don't have an empire, but we should. Annex Europe and Canada now. =^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^)
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:58 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Few ever refused to go their own way. I guess we basically ran West Germany for a time.

It takes no great detective skills to deduce that I am British.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:00 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:When I say "Empire", I'm not talking like the Roman Empire, or the Russian Empire; I'm talking more like a "Great Power" (which is an Empire in a lot of ways), if that's less confusing for you all.

It takes no great detective skills to deduce that I am British.

Crypto-Jacobites aren't real Brits. :p
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:00 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Moving the goal posts. Empires trying to retain they power they have is not empire building.
So the US is not empire building. Intervention =/= imperialism.

Not that the US is properly classified as an empire really as it is democratic, not held to together by military force. Systems of voluntary alliances are not empires either.
Our alleged “vassal states” do not do what we like or want half the time anyways.

I never said America's empire was stable or long-lasting, did I? A lot are going their own way, since the Soviet threat went away.

But if it is not held together by force it is not an empire. Shifting alliances and power does not necessarily mean empire.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:01 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:Was East Germany a vassal state to the Soviet Union?

Yes. As was the rest of the Warsaw Pact. When you roll tanks into a country to prevent it from having elections you don't like, you are no longer engaged in a voluntary alliance.

And the CIA would never overthrow a democratically elected government that doesn't suit its interests...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iran ... 7%C3%A9tat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Chil ... 7%C3%A9tat

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:01 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:

Maybe just use the term Great Power then instead of a misleading one?
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:02 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:And the CIA would never overthrow a democratically elected government that doesn't suit its interests...

Neither of which were NATO members.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:04 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:Was East Germany a vassal state to the Soviet Union?

Yes. As was the rest of the Warsaw Pact. When you roll tanks into a country to prevent it from having elections you don't like, you are no longer engaged in a voluntary alliance.

Remember when DeGaul told us to leave France and we
A) left because he told us to
B) invaded France and murdered him (see Soviets in Hungary and Czechoslovakia)

Because I am pretty sure it was A.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:05 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:It takes no great detective skills to deduce that I am British.

Crypto-Jacobites aren't real Brits. :p

*Sobs*

Forcing good Protestant Englishmen and Scots to choose between an usurper and a papalist was the cruellest test God ever set.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:06 am

Novus America wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Yes. As was the rest of the Warsaw Pact. When you roll tanks into a country to prevent it from having elections you don't like, you are no longer engaged in a voluntary alliance.

Remember when DeGaul told us to leave France and we
A) left because he told us to
B) invaded France and murdered him (see Soviets in Hungary and Czechoslovakia)

Because I am pretty sure it was A.

Considering it was DeGaulle, maybe B would have been the better option.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:06 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:And the CIA would never overthrow a democratically elected government that doesn't suit its interests...

Neither of which were NATO members.

Which somehow makes that ok?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:08 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:Which somehow makes that ok?

No, but when your argument is that NATO is a vassal organization, it does make our actions towards non-NATO nations rather irrelevant.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:08 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Yes. As was the rest of the Warsaw Pact. When you roll tanks into a country to prevent it from having elections you don't like, you are no longer engaged in a voluntary alliance.

And the CIA would never overthrow a democratically elected government that doesn't suit its interests...

Oh we did not always support democracy (Mossadeq canceled an election after he started losing BTW) but we did not overthrow those governments. Their own militaries (and other important sectors inside those countries) did. We just provided some support to the people in those countries that wanted to do so.

We did not roll troops into those places. It was Iranians and Chileans doing it.

And some great power skullduggery is not “Empire”.
Are we a great power that sometimes does great power shit?
Obviously yes.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Dresderstan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:09 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Crypto-Jacobites aren't real Brits. :p

*Sobs*

Forcing good Protestant Englishmen and Scots to choose between an usurper and a papalist was the cruellest test God ever set.

Assuming a papist is worse than a usurper.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:11 am

Novus America wrote:Oh we did not always support democracy (Mossadeq canceled an election after he started losing BTW) but we did not overthrow those governments. Their own militaries (and other important sectors inside those countries) did. We just provided some support to the people in those countries that wanted to do so.

Obviously yes.

Mossadegh was a gud boi you Anglo sympathizer

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:13 am

Novus America wrote:Oh we did not always support democracy (Mossadeq canceled an election after he started losing BTW) but we did not overthrow those governments. Their own militaries (and other important sectors inside those countries) did. We just provided some support to the people in those countries that wanted to do so.

Obviously yes.

Mossadegh was a gud boi you Anglo sympathizer

*Cackles evilly, and transforms into a double-headed eagle...Now I will fly to Master Dugin and inform him, I have turned them on each other! :twisted:

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:14 am

Should we have invaded Britain to preserve the sovereignty of Iran, y/y?

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:14 am

Dresderstan wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:*Sobs*

Assuming a papist is worse than a usurper.

Well, William was certainly the more capable leader. But James was the legitimate king by right regardless.
Conserative Morality wrote:Should we have invaded Britain to preserve the sovereignty of Iran, y/y?

You're just trying to bait me because I'm more fun to argue with than Byzantia. I will not fall for it. :p
Last edited by Old Tyrannia on Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:16 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Dresderstan wrote:Assuming a papist is worse than a usurper.

Well, William was certainly the more capable leader. But James was the legitimate king by right regardless.

I just think its too bad they lopped off King Charles' head.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:17 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Mossadegh was a gud boi you Anglo sympathizer

*Cackles evilly, and transforms into a double-headed eagle...Now I will fly to Master Dugin and inform him, I have turned them on each other! :twisted:

When Dugin realizes that flight is a thing, will he create a category of aerocracy?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:19 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:You're just trying to bait me because I'm more fun to argue with than Byzantia. I will not fall for it. :p

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:23 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Dresderstan wrote:Assuming a papist is worse than a usurper.

Conserative Morality wrote:Should we have invaded Britain to preserve the sovereignty of Iran, y/y?

You're just trying to bait me because I'm more fun to argue with than Byzantia. I will not fall for it. :p

Typical. Lil Merica wants to dethrone Big Bro Britain.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:24 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Well, William was certainly the more capable leader. But James was the legitimate king by right regardless.

Typical. Lil Merica wants to dethrone Big Bro Britain.

More accurate depiction =^)

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:25 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:Typical. Lil Merica wants to dethrone Big Bro Britain.

More accurate depiction =^)

True, lol

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General