NATION

PASSWORD

Right Wing Discussion Thread XV: A New Hoppe

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

To what ethical philosophy do you subscribe?

Ethical Egoism
12
11%
Act Utilitarianism
7
6%
Rule Utilitarianism
7
6%
Kantian Ethics
6
5%
Virtue Ethics
19
17%
Nihilism/YOLO
18
16%
Radical Subjectivism
2
2%
Cultural Relativism
3
3%
Divine Command Theory
18
16%
Natural Law Theory
20
18%
 
Total votes : 112

User avatar
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9983
Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sat May 04, 2019 3:41 pm

Rostavykhan wrote:> TFW not just nationalizing the corporations and executing corporate leaders as enemies of America and her people

smh no need to go full Commie or Lbertarian when you can use American Exceptionalism as your rallying cry to bring the seditious corporations to heel for the benefit of The State. All within, nothing outside.

HeilHail Columbia!

Can't tell if Dirigiste or Dirigiste.

User avatar
Washington Resistance Army
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41211
Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Sat May 04, 2019 3:46 pm

Torrocca wrote:>Communism
>Dead

lmao


It's pretty dead. Not entirely of course, but as a relevant political force in most of the world in got oof'd

User avatar
Jack Thomas Lang
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1017
Founded: Apr 18, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jack Thomas Lang » Sat May 04, 2019 3:48 pm

Communism is utterly dead here in Australia, even the Socialist Party is incredibly small. And I gather that most western communists disavow the Communist Party of the Russian Federation, which has a large presence in my ancestral homeland.
Catholic Distributist
Three Acres and a Cow

"In the race of life, always back self-interest — at least you know it's trying."
Rerum Novarum and Quadragesimo Anno

User avatar
Washington Resistance Army
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41211
Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Sat May 04, 2019 3:49 pm

Jack Thomas Lang wrote:Communism is utterly dead here in Australia, even the Socialist Party is incredibly small. And I gather that most western communists disavow the Communist Party of the Russian Federation, which has a large presence in my ancestral homeland.


Ayy fam, tell me about this Lang guy. I meant to ask the other day but forgot.

User avatar
Jack Thomas Lang
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1017
Founded: Apr 18, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jack Thomas Lang » Sat May 04, 2019 3:59 pm

Washington Resistance Army wrote:Ayy fam, tell me about this Lang guy. I meant to ask the other day but forgot.

He was a populist, and during his height Labor Premier of New South Wales.

Anti-communist (Hence my prior Social Fascist sig), close with the Unions and cultivated a bit of a personality cult. Known as the Big Fella, and "Lang is greater than Lenin" was a legit slogan. During his first time as Premier, he introduced a variety of social programs and introduced universal suffrage for local elections. Tried to abolish the Upper House because it was too "reactionary". In his second time as Premier, he disagreed with the Federal government and all other state governments on how to handle the Great Depression. They wanted big cuts, tax increases, etc. Lang basically wanted a Keynesian response, reducing interest rates, replacing the Gold Standard, temporarily avoiding paying interest repayments to Britain and injecting millions of dollars into the economy. Didn't work, so he took State money out of the bank and held it as cash in the Union Hall. This led to a whole crisis in which he was dismissed as Premier by the NSW Governor-General and lost the subsequent election.

It's funny, because the two men were close friends but that still didn't stop Lang from considering to arrest the Governor-General possibly plunging Australia into civil war. The Federal government was seriously considering sending troops, and Lang had a lot of support in the Unions, who were and remain influential.
Catholic Distributist
Three Acres and a Cow

"In the race of life, always back self-interest — at least you know it's trying."
Rerum Novarum and Quadragesimo Anno

User avatar
Washington Resistance Army
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41211
Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Sat May 04, 2019 4:06 pm

Jack Thomas Lang wrote:
Washington Resistance Army wrote:Ayy fam, tell me about this Lang guy. I meant to ask the other day but forgot.

He was a populist, and during his height Labor Premier of New South Wales.

Anti-communist (Hence my prior Social Fascist sig), close with the Unions and cultivated a bit of a personality cult. Known as the Big Fella, and "Lang is greater than Lenin" was a legit slogan. During his first time as Premier, he introduced a variety of social programs and introduced universal suffrage for local elections. Tried to abolish the Upper House because it was too "reactionary". In his second time as Premier, he disagreed with the Federal government and all other state governments on how to handle the Great Depression. They wanted big cuts, tax increases, etc. Lang basically wanted a Keynesian response, reducing interest rates, replacing the Gold Standard, temporarily avoiding paying interest repayments to Britain and injecting millions of dollars into the economy. Didn't work, so he took State money out of the bank and held it as cash in the Union Hall. This led to a whole crisis in which he was dismissed as Premier by the NSW Governor-General and lost the subsequent election.

It's funny, because the two men were close friends but that still didn't stop Lang from considering to arrest the Governor-General possibly plunging Australia into civil war. The Federal government was seriously considering sending troops, and Lang had a lot of support in the Unions, who were and remain influential.


Hmm, sounds like an interesting sort to say the least. Any recommended reading?

User avatar
Jack Thomas Lang
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1017
Founded: Apr 18, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jack Thomas Lang » Sat May 04, 2019 4:12 pm

Washington Resistance Army wrote:Hmm, sounds like an interesting sort to say the least. Any recommended reading?

On Lang?

Well there's "The Turbulent Years", his own autobiography, although I haven't read it. My knowledge of Lang comes from online articles (such as Jack Lang's article in the Australian Dictionary of Biography) and local museums.
Catholic Distributist
Three Acres and a Cow

"In the race of life, always back self-interest — at least you know it's trying."
Rerum Novarum and Quadragesimo Anno

User avatar
Amuaplye
Minister
 
Posts: 2859
Founded: Dec 07, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Amuaplye » Sat May 04, 2019 8:42 pm

The Galactic Liberal Democracy wrote:Tbh I don’t care that antifa atttacks Starbucks, which is a threat to humanity, it’s just that spraypainting A’s on the sidewalk is annoying and it really ruins downtown. Overturning trash can makes a mess and I think it’s illegal. Smashing windows definitely is illegal and it could injure someone. A good portion of antifa are vandals who should be penalized.

And why do they say that Antifa should be considered terrorists again?
I'm a dude.
Also, call me Amuaplye, not Amuapyle, or Amu.

Electrum on Discord wrote:Please do not ping me a list of body parts.

User avatar
Totally Not OEP
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1335
Founded: Mar 30, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Totally Not OEP » Sat May 04, 2019 10:45 pm

Novus America wrote:Grant was not as effective as Lee in maneuver warfare, this is true.
But had a better understanding of attrition and economics.


He really didn't; the casualties he suffered were beyond even the capacity of the Federals to take. This forced Lincoln to expend significant political capital to keep him (Grant) from being relieved and even then it wasn't until Atlanta fell that Lincoln expected to win reelection because of the negative reaction to the Overland Campaign.

But Lost Causers forget if not for Lee, Longstreet and Stonewall Jackson the Confederacy would have collapsed much earlier, and Lee himself often lucky.

It was luck and yes, skill of a few generals that kept the Confederacy alive as long as it did.
Notice that for Lost Causers the focus almost entirely on the Army of Northern Virginia.


They don't forget, the Lost Cause is entirely based on the idea that, while the South had the better officers and soldiers, they ultimately were defeated by a foe that simply could deploy more men then they could.

As if that was the only army in the only theater.

Ignoring how the CSA often got thumped elsewhere.


Mixed bag in other theaters. People point to Fort Donelson, but then overlook the Heartland Campaign with the Battles of Richmond and Perryville. Talk of Tullahoma, but then forget Chickamauga. As it was, by wars end around 200,000 troops were still in the field, especially in the Trans-Texas where Kirby Smith was still kicking ass.

User avatar
Kowani
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13623
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sat May 04, 2019 10:47 pm

Totally Not OEP wrote:
Novus America wrote:Grant was not as effective as Lee in maneuver warfare, this is true.
But had a better understanding of attrition and economics.


He really didn't; the casualties he suffered were beyond even the capacity of the Federals to take. This forced Lincoln to expend significant political capital to keep him (Grant) from being relieved and even then it wasn't until Atlanta fell that Lincoln expected to win reelection because of the negative reaction to the Overland Campaign.

But Lost Causers forget if not for Lee, Longstreet and Stonewall Jackson the Confederacy would have collapsed much earlier, and Lee himself often lucky.

It was luck and yes, skill of a few generals that kept the Confederacy alive as long as it did.
Notice that for Lost Causers the focus almost entirely on the Army of Northern Virginia.


They don't forget, the Lost Cause is entirely based on the idea that, while the South had the better officers and soldiers, they ultimately were defeated by a foe that simply could deploy more men then they could.

As if that was the only army in the only theater.

Ignoring how the CSA often got thumped elsewhere.


Mixed bag in other theaters. People point to Fort Donelson, but then overlook the Heartland Campaign with the Battles of Richmond and Perryville. Talk of Tullahoma, but then forget Chickamauga. As it was, by wars end around 200,000 troops were still in the field, especially in the Trans-Texas where Kirby Smith was still kicking ass.

It helps that the Union wasn’t hamstrung by state’s rights and deserters. Also, rampant inflation, threat of slave revolts, and having a navy worth anything.
Narcissistic (Hedonistic) Nihilist. Yes, I am edgy. I know.
Atheist and still proud of it.
Post-Capitalist, Post-Nationalist.
Rights are functionally just privileges society has deemed important.
Prydania wrote:
As a Canadian? I find Americans and their deep, deep distrust of the government to be fundamentally, critically, laughably flawed. I find some aspects of your country completely absurd. The distrust of anything remotely resembling authority is one. The gun problem that stems from that is another.

Seangoli wrote:You are spouting nonsensical drivel with no coherent thought, little logic, and at the end of it all just angry opining at the clouds based on a truly astonishly low level of knowledge or understanding of the subject matter.

0% Capitalism

User avatar
Totally Not OEP
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1335
Founded: Mar 30, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Totally Not OEP » Sat May 04, 2019 10:50 pm

Image

User avatar
Tec-Fas Australia
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 3
Founded: May 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tec-Fas Australia » Sat May 04, 2019 10:53 pm

Totally Not OEP wrote:

nah it would be a Helicopter that makes them shit themselves

User avatar
Totally Not OEP
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1335
Founded: Mar 30, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Totally Not OEP » Sat May 04, 2019 10:55 pm

Kowani wrote:It helps that the Union wasn’t hamstrung by state’s rights and deserters. Also, rampant inflation, threat of slave revolts, and having a navy worth anything.


The Confederacy forged the most centralized Government in North American history until the New Deal and had a lower rate of desertion than the Union Army.

User avatar
The Xenopolis Confederation
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7417
Founded: Aug 11, 2017
Anarchy

Postby The Xenopolis Confederation » Sat May 04, 2019 10:57 pm

Totally Not OEP wrote:
Kowani wrote:It helps that the Union wasn’t hamstrung by state’s rights and deserters. Also, rampant inflation, threat of slave revolts, and having a navy worth anything.


The Confederacy forged the most centralized Government in North American history until the New Deal and had a lower rate of desertion than the Union Army.

Ironic that the Confederacy, allegedly concerned with states rights, was more centralized than the Union.
Last edited by The Xenopolis Confederation on Sat May 04, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro: Liberty, Liberalism, Capitalism, Secularism, Equal opportunity, Direct Democracy, Windows Chauvinism, Psychedelic Rock, LGBT+ Rights, Live and let live tbh.
Against: Authoritarianism, Traditionalism, Non-Market-Socialism, Laissez-Faire Capitalism, Autocracy, (A)Theocracy, Macs, "The ends justify the means," Collectivism in all its forms.
Economic: 0.5
Social: -8
I'm an 18 year old Australian who tries to think about things but fails, as we all do. I'll regret this in 2 years tops.

I think I have gender dysphoria so I'd prefer you use she/her pronouns on me. If not, he/him'll do.

User avatar
Totally Not OEP
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1335
Founded: Mar 30, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Totally Not OEP » Sat May 04, 2019 11:02 pm

The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:
Totally Not OEP wrote:
The Confederacy forged the most centralized Government in North American history until the New Deal and had a lower rate of desertion than the Union Army.

Ironic that the Confederacy, allegedly concerned with states rights, was more centralized than the Union.


Hard fighting troops, an overall decent cadre of officers, and a surprisingly highly functional government explain how a segment of the nation, with 15% of the industry and 9 million people, of which 3.5 million were slaves, could make it four years against the rest of the nation while still achieving a positive kill ratio.
Last edited by Totally Not OEP on Sat May 04, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grenartia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 40613
Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat May 04, 2019 11:09 pm

Totally Not OEP wrote:
The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:Ironic that the Confederacy, allegedly concerned with states rights, was more centralized than the Union.


Hard fighting troops, an overall decent cadre of officers, and a surprisingly highly functional government explain how a segment of the nation, with 15% of the industry and 9 million people, of which 3.5 million were slaves, could make it four years against the rest of the nation while still achieving a positive kill ratio.


Traitors, the lot of them. Minus the slaves and Union sympathizers.
Impeach Humanity, Legalize Death Stars, Life is TheftWis/Gren 2016 Something all cisgender allies should start doing. I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith. ⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧
"Don't take life so serious. It isn't permanent."-Dyakovo
I'm a pansexual Androgyne. Also a Christian.
Please use they/them/their when referencing me, as I do NOT appreciate the other pronouns.
Textbook definition of irony
Quotes of awesomeness

User avatar
Torrocca
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24964
Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Torrocca » Sat May 04, 2019 11:10 pm

Totally Not OEP wrote:


The Abrams is hardly a unique tank, nor is it an unkillable one.

0/10 meme
Libertarian Democratic Socialist. RAINBOW! Revolutionary Catalonia and Revolutionary Rojava Forever! ^_^
I am Her Majesty, Torra I, of the House Anarkittismo, NS's self-anointed Anarcho-Monarchist Queen. Now known as God-Empress Torra.
"Fascism is not debated, it is destroyed." - Buenaventura Durruti
"When the people are being hit with a stick, they are not happier if the stick is called “the stick of the people”. The State is an oppression that must be abolished."
I go by Torra and feminine pronouns! They/Them/Their are perfectly acceptable alternatives as well :3
Suggestions welcome!

Capital - Karl Marx and Frederich Engels
Wage Labor and Capital - Karl Marx
The Conquest of Bread - Peter Kropotkin
Mutual Aid - Peter Kropotkin
Statism and Anarchy - Mikhail Bakunin

User avatar
Totally Not OEP
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1335
Founded: Mar 30, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Totally Not OEP » Sat May 04, 2019 11:15 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Totally Not OEP wrote:
Hard fighting troops, an overall decent cadre of officers, and a surprisingly highly functional government explain how a segment of the nation, with 15% of the industry and 9 million people, of which 3.5 million were slaves, could make it four years against the rest of the nation while still achieving a positive kill ratio.


Traitors, the lot of them. Minus the slaves and Union sympathizers.


And for this Yankee nation I do no give a damn. I'm glad I fought against her, I only wish we'd won. I ain't asked any pardon for anything I've done...

:)

User avatar
Benuty
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35848
Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Benuty » Sat May 04, 2019 11:15 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Totally Not OEP wrote:
Hard fighting troops, an overall decent cadre of officers, and a surprisingly highly functional government explain how a segment of the nation, with 15% of the industry and 9 million people, of which 3.5 million were slaves, could make it four years against the rest of the nation while still achieving a positive kill ratio.


Traitors, the lot of them. Minus the slaves and Union sympathizers.

That didn't exactly negate their point, and the greatest treason was what occurred following the end of the war. Reconstruction for all intents, and purposes was an abject failure that did nothing to truly reconstruct southern society at all other than sprinkle in northern blood into the aristocracy.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity.
Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

User avatar
Totally Not OEP
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1335
Founded: Mar 30, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Totally Not OEP » Sat May 04, 2019 11:16 pm

Torrocca wrote:
Totally Not OEP wrote:


The Abrams is hardly a unique tank, nor is it an unkillable one.

0/10 meme


As far as shitty Communist tanks go, it's nearly God himself in terms of being able to kill. :)

User avatar
United Muscovite Nations
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19602
Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Sat May 04, 2019 11:17 pm

Totally Not OEP wrote:
Torrocca wrote:
The Abrams is hardly a unique tank, nor is it an unkillable one.

0/10 meme


As far as shitty Communist tanks go, it's nearly God himself in terms of being able to kill. :)

The T-72 was a great tank when it was built.
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts Eastern Orthodox Christian. Christian Anarchist and Monarchist. Supporter of Pan-Arabism. 22-year old Doomer
Even the apologists of industrialism have been obliged to admit that some economic evils follow in the wake of the machines. These are such as overproduction, unemployment, and a growing inequality in the distribution of wealth. But the remedies proposed by the apologists are always homeopathic. They expect the evils to disappear when we have bigger and better machines, and more of them. Their remedial programs, therefore, look forward to more industrialism.
Pro and Anti: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=uni ... id=1166847

User avatar
Totally Not OEP
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1335
Founded: Mar 30, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Totally Not OEP » Sat May 04, 2019 11:18 pm

United Muscovite Nations wrote:
Totally Not OEP wrote:
As far as shitty Communist tanks go, it's nearly God himself in terms of being able to kill. :)

The T-72 was a great tank when it was built.


That's literally most pieces of military hardware.

User avatar
Benuty
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35848
Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Benuty » Sat May 04, 2019 11:18 pm

Blacks were still engaged in a system that pretty much kept them on the fringes regardless, and even attempts at industrializing the south were successful in places where people didn't try to do it according to Pittsburgh standards. In summary when you try to modernize a war-torn region industrially its better, in the long run, to adjust industrial standards rather than demand that the south pay the same price for steel you would in Pittsburgh.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity.
Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

User avatar
Duhon
Minister
 
Posts: 3401
Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Duhon » Sat May 04, 2019 11:22 pm

Dropping by only to share this blog entry on a critique of a critique of that insane crackhead Dugin. Novus, in particular, might find this link, uh, marginally interesting:

http://kali-yuga.org/dugin-against-dugi ... rasianist/

User avatar
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9983
Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sat May 04, 2019 11:23 pm

Totally Not OEP wrote:
Torrocca wrote:
The Abrams is hardly a unique tank, nor is it an unkillable one.

0/10 meme


As far as shitty Communist tanks go, it's nearly God himself in terms of being able to kill. :)

Imagine being an M1IP crewmember, being told that: "A: Your ammo will most probably not penetrate a T-80U from the front. And B: There's a T-80U division headed your way. Oh and we have no A-10's to support you because they all died."
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Sat May 04, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aclion, Bienenhalde, Eternal Lotharia, Fartsniffage, Galloism, Grinning Dragon, Heloin, Jean-Paul Sartre, Novus America, Oswaldon, Pacomia, Redternetia, San Lumen, Serconas, Sonhador Federation, Tarsonis, The Greater Ohio Valley, True Refuge, ZUN

Advertisement

Remove ads