NATION

PASSWORD

Right Wing Discussion Thread XV: A New Hoppe

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

To what ethical philosophy do you subscribe?

Ethical Egoism
11%
Act Utilitarianism
6%
Rule Utilitarianism
6%
Kantian Ethics
5%
Virtue Ethics
17%
Nihilism/YOLO
16%
Radical Subjectivism
2%
Cultural Relativism
3%
Divine Command Theory
16%
Natural Law Theory
18%

Total votes : 112

AhmadiMuslim1889
Envoy

Founded: Apr 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby AhmadiMuslim1889 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:43 am

Novus America wrote:
North German Realm wrote:Wait I didn't know there was any plans of annexing Central America. I mean, the Dominican Republic makes sense (it was under US protectorate for a while), and iirc there were talks of "asking" Spain to give the US Cuba before the Civil War (and probably some plans of integration even during the Cuban Revolution) but Central America?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William ... filibuster)
An American actually took over Nicaragua without much US support.
Slavery was the issue though. While the South was very much in favor of taking it the Northerners opposes the expansion of slavery.
So racism (in the form of slavery) was the big problem.

Which reminds me of Cuba as well
Formally known as Jolthig. Love For All, Hatred For None. Add 11983 posts. Open to TGs.

I will be logging off of NS on the evening of May 5th to observe the Islamic month of Ramadan, and will not return until early June.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:44 am

Novus America wrote:
North German Realm wrote:Wait I didn't know there was any plans of annexing Central America. I mean, the Dominican Republic makes sense (it was under US protectorate for a while), and iirc there were talks of "asking" Spain to give the US Cuba before the Civil War (and probably some plans of integration even during the Cuban Revolution) but Central America?

Slavery was the issue though. While the South was very much in favor of taking it the Northerners opposes the expansion of slavery.

Really? Interesting. I didn't know that, actually. Not surprised, though.

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:44 am

Hanafuridake wrote:
The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:
You do realize that I'm just being meme-y, right?

Are you saying that you don't see America as the stepping stone for your new Mohist monistic world?

I mean, it really depends on if I’ve been taking my meds regularly, if I’m to be completely honest.
< THE HIGH SWAGLORD | 8VALUES | POLITISCALES >
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

AhmadiMuslim1889
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby AhmadiMuslim1889 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:46 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Really? Interesting. I didn't know that, actually. Not surprised, though.

Neither am I. It only shows that there was a lot of controversy over that stuff.

Which reminds me of Liberia in Africa where freed slaves would go to, and then form their own country.
Formally known as Jolthig. Love For All, Hatred For None. Add 11983 posts. Open to TGs.

I will be logging off of NS on the evening of May 5th to observe the Islamic month of Ramadan, and will not return until early June.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:47 am

Hanafuridake wrote:
Are you saying that you don't see America as the stepping stone for your new Mohist monistic world?

I mean, it really depends on if I’ve been taking my meds regularly, if I’m to be completely honest.

Uncle Sam be like:"We need to conquer the World...SO I CAN GET MY MEDS, AND MY BIGMACS AND MY TWINKIES AND MY..."

*dies of heart failure.

Last edited by Nea Byzantia on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:49 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:

Uncle Sam be like:"We need to conquer the World...SO I CAN GET MY MEDS, AND MY BIGMACS AND MY TWINKIES AND MY..."

*dies of heart failure.

My meds aren’t for a physical ailment, but rather for ailments of a mental nature.
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:50 am

AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Well they were split on it. There was a substantial pro annexation movement that we failed to cultivate and support.

But yes, they choose independence despite it turning them from amongst the wealthiest countries in Asia to one of the poor ones.

Because the Fillippino revolutionaries did not like our presence at all when we came in after the Spanish were kicked out. And that's interesting there was a pro-annexation movement.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progresista_Party
Actually there was a major annexationist party which did well while it was supported by Taft when he was governor. But his successors failed to back it and it fell apart.

While small, there are annexationist movements that have remained even to this day
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rapple ... annexation
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:52 am

Teveen wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Any succession chart that doesn't recognize the legitimacy of Charlemagne as Roman Emperor is just wrong

Charlamains "Holy Roman Empire" was neither Holy or Roman, in fact, it wasn't much of an empire either. The last of the Roman empires holdouts fell with Constantinople, all others who lay claim to it are Liars hoping to either gain legitimacy through the prestige of a better nation or bolster their hubris as they lay claim to a legacy that was never theirs to claim.

Can I just state before going on that Voltaire's original quote was "neither Holy nor Roman" and mentioned nothing about its status of being an Imperial title. In fact, it's pretty dumb to characterize the HRE as anything bur an Empire. It was a sprawling, multicultural state with an Emperor at it's head. It's decentralized nature doesn't factor into the definition of an Empire.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

AhmadiMuslim1889
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby AhmadiMuslim1889 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:52 am

Novus America wrote:
AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:Because the Fillippino revolutionaries did not like our presence at all when we came in after the Spanish were kicked out. And that's interesting there was a pro-annexation movement.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progresista_Party
Actually there was a major annexationist party which did well while it was supported by Taft when he was governor. But his successors failed to back it and it fell apart.

While small, there are annexationist movements that have remained even to this day
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rapple ... annexation

Oh you know what, now that I remember, there was in fact, some Filipinos that fought against the revolutionaries during the Philippine-American War.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:52 am

AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:Really? Interesting. I didn't know that, actually. Not surprised, though.

Neither am I. It only shows that there was a lot of controversy over that stuff.

Which reminds me of Liberia in Africa where freed slaves would go to, and then form their own country.

There was a lot of controversy over it. Had it not been for slavery and racism the controversy very well could have ended with a different result though.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

AhmadiMuslim1889
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby AhmadiMuslim1889 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:54 am

Novus America wrote:
AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:Neither am I. It only shows that there was a lot of controversy over that stuff.

There was a lot of controversy over it. Had it not been for slavery and racism the controversy very well could have ended with a different result though.

It definitely could've helped those countries out big time. The only problem was the unjust treatment of weaker nations and minorities which is why those nations wanted independence in the first place.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:55 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annexat ... to_Domingo
Grant tried to Annex the Dominican Republic but it was defeated in the Senate 28 to 28.
Racism again was much of it.
Last edited by Novus America on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Totally Not OEP
Minister

Founded: Mar 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Not OEP » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:57 am

Genivaria wrote:
Fahran wrote:I agree. Reality has a pro-American bias.

Shameful that the only reason we didn't annex Mexico is because of racism. >:(

Wasn't even racism; it came down to Calhoun and his faction opposing it on Pro-Slavery grounds, due to concerns the States would become Free instead of Slave when admitted. Oddly enough with that stated, however, "All Mexico" was the one time you united Jefferson Davis and New England Abolitionists on an issue, as "All Mexico was popular in the Trans-Mississippi South and throughout the North.
We shoot .223's
We'll take your life
We out with the gang
You know we gon' slide

AhmadiMuslim1889
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby AhmadiMuslim1889 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:57 am

Novus America wrote:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annexation_of_Santo_Domingo
Grant tried to Annex the Dominican Republic but it was defeated in the Senate 28 to 28.
Racism again was much of it.

Also, didn't FDR himself not want us in those countries in the first place?

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:57 am

AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:
Novus America wrote:

It definitely could've helped those countries out big time. The only problem was the unjust treatment of weaker nations and minorities which is why those nations wanted independence in the first place.

Exactly. Unfortunately racism was the big issue.
Idiotic ethno nationalists put WASP supremacy crap over what was best for the US.
Last edited by Novus America on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:58 am

AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:
Novus America wrote:

That's low-key the reason everybody these days hates America. They're just the Top Dog (for now); so everybody hates them. And so you have a lot of people flocking to the rival Powers (Russia and China) because they're tired of the Americans.

It was the same with the Assyrians; everybody flocked to the Chaldeans/Babylonians

It was the same with the Babylonians; everybody flocked to the Persians

It was the same with the Persians; everybody flocked to the Greeks (Alexander the Great)

It was the same with the Greeks; everybody flocked to the Romans

And then with the Romans it just gets really confusing...so the whole system falls apart; but I suspect you get my point.
Last edited by Nea Byzantia on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:58 am

AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:Panama and Nicaragua were both under American control for a while. Perhaps it was a consideration.

I see your bid and I raise you this:

-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

AhmadiMuslim1889
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby AhmadiMuslim1889 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:00 pm

Novus America wrote:
AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:It definitely could've helped those countries out big time. The only problem was the unjust treatment of weaker nations and minorities which is why those nations wanted independence in the first place.

Exactly. Unfortunately racism was the big issue.
Idiotic ethno nationalists put WASP supremacy crap over what was best for the US.

Yep.

Heck, even the British were excellent with some of their colonies, especially India after company rule. In some instances, they helped keep the peace between the Hindus and Muslims, allowing them to practice their individual faiths. Now that they're gone, Pakistan and India are just at each other, and some minorities are oppressed in both countries. As is the case for Ahmadiyya in Pakistan.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:01 pm

Totally Not OEP wrote:
Torrocca wrote:Jesus fuckin' Christ, it's like you have no idea what you're talking about. Of fucking course a well-developed defensive system is going to see a kill ratio in favor of the defenders regardless of who the fuck's running it. You don't need to be a fucking military genius or an elite 720-no-scope professional soldier to accurately fire an AT gun at a tank or a machine gun at infantry trying to cross a deliberately-flooded plain and a river.

As I said, and others likewise pointed out, if old men and boys could construct defenses sufficient to stop a fully mechanized Soviet offensive, complete with tanks, air superiority, better logistics and overwhelming numbers, that's downright embarrassing. Whether or not the Germans were in a defensive system is irrelevant to the fact that said defensive system was made by complete amateurs, who then managed to inflict a serious battle upon professionals. If the RKKA is the Ubermensch you seem convinced they are, this shouldn't have happened.

TIL that the fortifications Germany built were enough to stop the Soviets

AhmadiMuslim1889
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby AhmadiMuslim1889 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:01 pm

Nea Byzantia wrote:
AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:It definitely could've helped those countries out big time. The only problem was the unjust treatment of weaker nations and minorities which is why those nations wanted independence in the first place.

That's low-key the reason everybody these days hates America. They're just the Top Dog (for now); so everybody hates them. And so you have a lot of people flocking to the rival Powers (Russia and China) because they're tired of the Americans.

It was the same with the Assyrians; everybody flocked to the Chaldeans/Babylonians

It was the same with the Persians; everybody flocked to the Greeks (Alexander the Great)

And then with the Romans it just gets really confusing...so the whole system falls apart; but I suspect you get my point.

Exactly. I agree with all that you said.

And hence, the enemy themselves take advantage of this by enemy countries, only to themselves become the oppressors.

Totally Not OEP
Minister

Founded: Mar 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Not OEP » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:01 pm

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:
Totally Not OEP wrote:
As I said, and others likewise pointed out, if old men and boys could construct defenses sufficient to stop a fully mechanized Soviet offensive, complete with tanks, air superiority, better logistics and overwhelming numbers, that's downright embarrassing. Whether or not the Germans were in a defensive system is irrelevant to the fact that said defensive system was made by complete amateurs, who then managed to inflict a serious battle upon professionals. If the RKKA is the Ubermensch you seem convinced they are, this shouldn't have happened.

TIL that the fortifications Germany built were enough to stop the Soviets

The only way you got that is if you didn't read what was posted.
Last edited by Totally Not OEP on Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We shoot .223's
We'll take your life
We out with the gang
You know we gon' slide

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:04 pm

AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:That's low-key the reason everybody these days hates America. They're just the Top Dog (for now); so everybody hates them. And so you have a lot of people flocking to the rival Powers (Russia and China) because they're tired of the Americans.

Exactly. I agree with all that you said.

And hence, the enemy themselves take advantage of this by enemy countries, only to themselves become the oppressors.

That's right. And I think we're definitely seeing a Power Shift back towards Eurasia; and like most declining Powers, America is desperately trying to hold on to its power by the edge of its fingers. Hence its aggressive and increasingly arrogant policies. Its a collapsing empire doubling down on its illusion of power.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:04 pm

Totally Not OEP wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Shameful that the only reason we didn't annex Mexico is because of racism. >:(

Wasn't even racism; it came down to Calhoun and his faction opposing it on Pro-Slavery grounds, due to concerns the States would become Free instead of Slave when admitted. Oddly enough with that stated, however, "All Mexico" was the one time you united Jefferson Davis and New England Abolitionists on an issue, as "All Mexico was popular in the Trans-Mississippi South and throughout the North.

Had it not been for a racist institution (slavery) there would have been less opposition to it.

Also John C. Calhoun actually opposed it on openly racist grounds as well
“We have never dreamt of incorporating into our Union any but the Caucasian race—the free white race. To incorporate Mexico, would be the very first instance of the kind, of incorporating an Indian race; for more than half of the Mexicans are Indians, and the other is composed chiefly of mixed tribes. I protest against such a union as that! Ours, sir, is the Government of a white race.... We are anxious to force free government on all; and I see that it has been urged ... that it is the mission of this country to spread civil and religious liberty over all the world, and especially over this continent. It is a great mistake.”
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:04 pm

North German Realm wrote:

I see your bid and I raise you this:

Not enough, m8. First the Americas, then the World!

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:07 pm

AhmadiMuslim1889 wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:Because the entire southern half the Continent isn't American.

Interestingly enough, those people would completely disagree with you. They dont even agree with the fact we even call ourselves "America" in the first place.

For all intents and purposes, "gringo" is the only appropriate term for US citizens south of the border.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General