NATION

PASSWORD

Plane Crash In Ethiopia

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:36 am

Baltenstein wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Don't rub people's faces in it too much mate, for fuck's sake. :?

It's only natural if one's way to cope with such a life-changing incidence is to share it to others. The guy was - and probably still is - in an emotional rollercoaster while he wrote this.

I mean sure, but posting it on Facebook for the whole world to see when discussing it with some others would have sufficed seems a bit distasteful.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:52 am

The East India Trade Federation wrote:Wow Boeing, you killed my Aviation and Defense stock

People are dead and all you care about is your portfolio? That's just sickening.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:49 pm

The Archregimancy wrote:I've just discovered that one of our colleagues from the Norwegian Red Cross was on the plane.

https://twitter.com/rodekorsnorge/statu ... 7012136961

Passengers from 35 countries plus one UN diplomat were on board.

For a second Boeing 737 Max 8 to crash under similar circumstances — in just five months — the tragedy is totally unacceptable, especially when one of them was a colleague working with a NationStates moderator.

While there are usually calls for us not to jump to conclusions, this tragedy is an exception with good reason: in the aftermath of Lion Air Flight 610, many safety experts accused Boeing of withholding information about potential hazards associated with a new flight-control feature.

Even though my next flight will be with an Airbus, I expected better from an aircraft manufacturer behind the well-respected 747 Jumbo Jet. Boeing has to come clean about the safety issues.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Loben
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:50 pm

Minoa wrote:
The Archregimancy wrote:I've just discovered that one of our colleagues from the Norwegian Red Cross was on the plane.

Passengers from 35 countries plus one UN diplomat were on board.

For a second Boeing 737 Max 8 to crash under similar circumstances — in just five months — the tragedy is totally unacceptable, especially when one of them was a colleague working with a NationStates moderator.

While there are usually calls for us not to jump to conclusions, this tragedy is an exception with good reason: in the aftermath of Lion Air Flight 610, many safety experts accused Boeing of withholding information about potential hazards associated with a new flight-control feature.

Even though my next flight will be with an Airbus, I expected better from an aircraft manufacturer behind the well-respected 747 Jumbo Jet. Boeing has to come clean about the safety issues.

could it have been poor maintenance?

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:00 pm

Loben wrote:
Minoa wrote:Passengers from 35 countries plus one UN diplomat were on board.

could it have been poor maintenance?

A brand new jet? Unlikely. And Boeing have already admitted there have been issues with the anti-stall system. Looking at the altitude and speed profile of the flight indicates that the pilots seemed to be wrestling with automatic controls that were constantly countermanding their input:

Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:05 pm

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv8QY2rBtUo (Al Jazeera English)

If I correctly interpret what Alex Macheras said, the maintenance regime of Ethiopian Airlines is strong (6:35 timestamp).
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:33 pm

That is fucking awful man. My condolences.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:40 pm

Andsed wrote:

That is fucking awful man. My condolences.

Sorry Arch I didn't see this earlier. Sending hugs.

Wave on, wave on

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Reportedly US and EU regulators are allowing these planes to keep flying. Wonder how well "we're very concerned and monitoring the sitution, safety is our number one concern" will fly when one of these noses in to some suburban neighborhood near the local airport?
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:26 pm

planes entering commercial passenger service (in massive numbers) that appear to be 'not out of beta'.

thankfully nations are grounding this plane, by why did it take two such incidents (and a bunch of people dead) for them to even start doing so,
and why hasn't this model been grounded universally, or boeing issued a recall the way car makers are required to?
Last edited by Cameroi on Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Amuaplye
Minister

Founded: Dec 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Amuaplye » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:30 pm

Andsed wrote:Uhh no. While some may call for better air safety people are not going to just stop using air travel as it is one of the fastest means of transportation.

The Concorde died because nobody wanted to fly on it after Air France 4590 and because nobody really wanted to fly after 9/11.
I'm a dude.
Also, call me Amuaplye, not Amuapyle, or Amu.

Electrum on Discord wrote:Please do not ping me a list of body parts.

Argentinstan
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Argentinstan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:32 pm

This is is yet another blow to Boeing and its reputation for safe aircraft.

I wish all the victims' well in their mourning.
A United Nations of Earthlings member state. Former Prime Minister.
Embassy Program l Bank of the Atlantic l Air Argentine l Argentinstan City Int'l Airport l Guide to Storefronts l Issues l City/County/State/Territory Websites
Telegram Me

Argentinstan is a constitutional monarchy representative democracy led by King Menem III and President Elijah Turner.

Deutsche Herrschaft
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Deutsche Herrschaft » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:27 am

Argentinstan wrote:This is is yet another blow to Boeing and its reputation for safe aircraft.

I wish all the victims' well in their mourning.

Who’s excited for a Boeing space program?

Jokes aside, I agree. Fortunately, as far as I am aware, they are taking these aircraft out of commission for good. This will nevertheless tarnish their reputation as you pointed out.
'Hans, get ze Panzer...'

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:29 am

Deutsche Herrschaft wrote:Fortunately, as far as I am aware, they are taking these aircraft out of commission for good.

Source?

Wave on, wave on

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:15 am

Amuaplye wrote:
Andsed wrote:Uhh no. While some may call for better air safety people are not going to just stop using air travel as it is one of the fastest means of transportation.

The Concorde died because nobody wanted to fly on it after Air France 4590 and because nobody really wanted to fly after 9/11.

Concorde was also incredibly niche and incredibly expensive to keep flying.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Sicaris
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sicaris » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:17 am

Vassenor wrote:
The East India Trade Federation wrote:Wow Boeing, you killed my Aviation and Defense stock

People are dead and all you care about is your portfolio? That's just sickening.

:rofl:
This country doesn’t represent my political views.
Three Principles of the People is a good book.
8values
Political Compass
PolitiScales
I’m an American nationalist, ultra-capitalist, Kemalist, and First and Second Amendment extremist. Alexander Hamilton and Ronald Reagan are my gods and I will incessantly worship them.

No, basement dwellers of the world, communism does not work.

“If you are born poor, it’s not your mistake; but if you die poor, it’s your mistake.”

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:17 am

US-SSR wrote:Reportedly US and EU regulators are allowing these planes to keep flying. Wonder how well "we're very concerned and monitoring the sitution, safety is our number one concern" will fly when one of these noses in to some suburban neighborhood near the local airport?

Boeing: UK joins countries blocking aircraft

The UK's Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has banned the Boeing 737 MAX from operating in or over UK airspace "as a precautionary measure".
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Sicaris
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sicaris » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:18 am

Invest in oil companies smh

No seriously big oil bring in the B I G B U C K S
8values
Political Compass
PolitiScales
I’m an American nationalist, ultra-capitalist, Kemalist, and First and Second Amendment extremist. Alexander Hamilton and Ronald Reagan are my gods and I will incessantly worship them.

“If you are born poor, it’s not your mistake; but if you die poor, it’s your mistake.”

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:19 am

Sicaris wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Sorry, were you trying to make a point here?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Sicaris
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sicaris » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:22 am

Vassenor wrote:
Sicaris wrote:

The fact the person was obviously making a joke and you got offended by it, and tried to play the feelings/“that’s just sick!” card.
8values
Political Compass
PolitiScales

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:23 am

Sicaris wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

The fact the person was obviously making a joke and you got offended by it, and tried to play the feelings/“that’s just sick!” card.

Did it ever occur to you that there are some things you don't joke about? Or were you just that desperate for a gotcha?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:24 am

Sicaris wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

I´m going to back up Vass here. While I am all for dark humor this is just to early for it.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Sicaris
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sicaris » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:28 am

Vassenor wrote:
Sicaris wrote:

Did it ever occur to you that there are some things you don't joke about? Or were you just that desperate for a gotcha?

This is the internet, Vass. If you aren’t ready for literally anything and everything to be joked about, sometimes as a way to cope with things, you might not want to spend much time on it.
8values
Political Compass
PolitiScales

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:32 am

Sicaris wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

This is the internet, Vass. If you aren’t ready for literally anything and everything to be joked about, sometimes as a way to cope with things, you might not want to spend much time on it.

And if you aren't ready for people to call you out when you do something idiotic or disgusting, you might not want to spend time on it either. :roll:
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Lanorth
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2018
Father Knows Best State

Postby Lanorth » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:35 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Lanorth wrote:Slovak MP Anton Hrnko later confirmed via Facebook that his wife and two children were on the plane.

Good Lord.

Yes, I know. God bless him.
i give up with this signature smh

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General