NATION

PASSWORD

Plane Crash In Ethiopia

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Digital Planets
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Digital Planets » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:09 pm

See people, this is why we should ban airplanes and use blimps once more, they have a far greater track record, they're much cheaper to use and you can go longer distances with them.
So you decide to open it anyway? What the heck, man?

Lanorth
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2018
Father Knows Best State

Postby Lanorth » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:15 pm

Digital Planets wrote:See people, this is why we should ban airplanes and use blimps once more, they have a far greater track record, they're much cheaper to use and you can go longer distances with them.

There is some sense in your suggestion but just think about the dangers of such a craft. Just think back to the Hindenburg Disaster in 1937. Also we need to think back to MH-370 and how that crashed and how the wreckage was not found and only small parts have recently been found. I have mixed emotions about air travel, if I am being honest.
i give up with this signature smh

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:07 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Andsed wrote:
Uhh no. While some may call for better air safety people are not going to just stop using air travel as it is one of the fastest means of transportation.

I mean, it certainly was the case for airships because of Hindenberg etc, but it would take something truly cataclysmic to actually have any discernible effect on people's willingness to fly in planes, because we are quite dependent on it now.

tfw instead of dying instantly you burn to death in a fire.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Digital Planets wrote:See people, this is why we should ban airplanes and use blimps once more, they have a far greater track record, they're much cheaper to use and you can go longer distances with them.

You do realise that Helium is an incredibly finite resource, right?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:13 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I mean, it certainly was the case for airships because of Hindenberg etc, but it would take something truly cataclysmic to actually have any discernible effect on people's willingness to fly in planes, because we are quite dependent on it now.

I mean, either of those things can happen in a plane or an airship crash, depending on the circumstances of the crash.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:15 pm

Vassenor wrote:

I mean, our sun produces more of it all the time.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Aboveland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 04, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Aboveland » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:16 pm

This is eerily similar to the LionAir crash... I actually hope it was the MCAS that caused the crash and not just pure coincidence (which, going by the similarities, it likely was the MCAS) so Boeing steps up and does something to rectify it soon. I'm not so certain on how it works but if it doesn't have some type of activation restriction based on altitude it's the stupidest oversight I've ever seen.
AUTONOMOUS TERRITORIES OF THE ABOVIAN UNION: Nykipiflugpuu

Home to Terho Talvela, three-time WGPC World Champion, and one-time WSRC World Champion

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:17 pm

Galloism wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

I mean, our sun produces more of it all the time.

I would've thought it would be obvious that I was talking about human accessible helium.

But if you have a mechanism for harvesting helium from the core of the Sun, let's hear it.
Last edited by Vassenor on Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:18 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:

I mean, either of those things can happen in a plane or an airship crash, depending on the circumstances of the crash.

In the instances where aircraft have caught fire, the smoke from all the flammable crap in the cabin incapacitated people before they were burned. See Saudia Flight 301.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:19 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Galloism wrote:I mean, our sun produces more of it all the time.

I would've thought it would be obvious that I was talking about human accessible helium.

Where's the fun in that?

But if you have a mechanism for harvesting helium from the core of the Sun, let's hear it.

I'm sure Elon Musk can figure it out.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:25 pm

Lanorth wrote:Slovak MP Anton Hrnko later confirmed via Facebook that his wife and two children were on the plane.

Good Lord.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:30 pm

Galloism wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Where's the fun in that?

I'm sure Elon Musk can figure it out.

We'd be better off just firing Elon into the sun.

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:40 pm

Neu Leonstein wrote:Aside from this obviously being a tragedy, it's also particularly sad that this happened to Ethiopian Air. Because it looks increasingly like the problem is with this particular new line of aircraft rather than with the airline. But because it's from Africa, and people don't bother distinguishing African airlines, you just know that at kitchen tables around the world this will just be a) dismissed and/or b) used to reinforce stereotypes of Africa and Africans stuck in incapacitated anarchy.

Which is to say that I quite like Ethiopian Air.

Ethiopian is one of the best, if not the best airline in Africa. It's a shame that that they'll be blamed for this (by uninformed people) when the blame clearly lies with Boeing.

They just bought a number of Dreamliners from Boeing a few years ago, too... I hope those don't turn out to be faulty next.
Last edited by Bruke on Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neu Leonstein
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Neu Leonstein » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:26 pm

This is a good article about these new Boeings, written after the Lion Air crash: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/03/worl ... ilots.html

Short summary: trying to rush out a competing model to a new Airbus plane with more fuel efficiency, Boeing put bigger engines on the plane which lower the centre of gravity and require this new altitude stabilisation system MCAS to keep everything on the level in a crisis situation. Which also means that what the pilot needs to do in case of trouble in a 737 MAX is very different to what they need to do in a regular 737. If the pilot doesn't receive training on the new system, and they're used to the older plane, then there's a risk of trouble.

But Boeing didn't want to require airlines to spend more on training to fly the new plane, so they submitted to the FAA that there differences weren't significant. And the FAA (being good buddies with Boeing when it comes to competing with those mean foreigners) waved it through without a requirement to train pilots on the new system.

Which leaves it up to the airlines to do the research and do the new training despite there not being an official requirement to do so.
“Every age and generation must be as free to act for itself in all cases as the age and generations which preceded it. The vanity and presumption of governing beyond the grave is the most ridiculous and insolent of all tyrannies. Man has no property in man; neither has any generation a property in the generations which are to follow.”
~ Thomas Paine

Economic Left/Right: 2.25 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33
Time zone: GMT+10 (Melbourne), working full time.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:09 am

Neu Leonstein wrote:This is a good article about these new Boeings, written after the Lion Air crash: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/03/worl ... ilots.html

Short summary: trying to rush out a competing model to a new Airbus plane with more fuel efficiency, Boeing put bigger engines on the plane which lower the centre of gravity and require this new altitude stabilisation system MCAS to keep everything on the level in a crisis situation. Which also means that what the pilot needs to do in case of trouble in a 737 MAX is very different to what they need to do in a regular 737. If the pilot doesn't receive training on the new system, and they're used to the older plane, then there's a risk of trouble.

But Boeing didn't want to require airlines to spend more on training to fly the new plane, so they submitted to the FAA that there differences weren't significant. And the FAA (being good buddies with Boeing when it comes to competing with those mean foreigners) waved it through without a requirement to train pilots on the new system.

Which leaves it up to the airlines to do the research and do the new training despite there not being an official requirement to do so.

So 737's will keep falling out of the sky because Boeing couldn't be arsed requiring pilots to have proper training?

Great Eldaria
Diplomat

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Eldaria » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:13 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Neu Leonstein wrote:This is a good article about these new Boeings, written after the Lion Air crash: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/03/worl ... ilots.html

So 737's will keep falling out of the sky because Boeing couldn't be arsed requiring pilots to have proper training?

In short, yeah. MCAS, similar to the older but known envelope protection system on the Airbus, takes full control of the aircraft, if it believes something bad is happening.

Problem is that if you have a set of faulty airspeed indicators, bank, angle of attack, you name it, the aircraft could purposely bring the aircraft down, believing that it is solving a dangerous situation.

The Airbuses have always had such a system, and you are trained to disengage it with a click of a button. But the 737 has never had such a system until the MAX. And seems like nobody is telling the pilots. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-15/third-pilots-union-raises-concern-about-boeing-s-737-max-jet

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:00 am

Great Eldaria wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

In short, yeah. MCAS, similar to the older but known envelope protection system on the Airbus, takes full control of the aircraft, if it believes something bad is happening.

Problem is that if you have a set of faulty airspeed indicators, bank, angle of attack, you name it, the aircraft could purposely bring the aircraft down, believing that it is solving a dangerous situation.

The Airbuses have always had such a system, and you are trained to disengage it with a click of a button. But the 737 has never had such a system until the MAX. And seems like nobody is telling the pilots. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-15/third-pilots-union-raises-concern-about-boeing-s-737-max-jet

It doesn't seem like it, Boeing basically said "don't worry about it" so it could rush planes out of the factory to customers.

If these are true, there should be grounds for a massive lawsuit to be levied against Boeing.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:53 am

a Greek man has said that he was due to board the flight but arrived at the gate two minutes late.

In a Facebook post, Antonis Mavropoulos shared an image of his ticket and said it was his "lucky day".

"I was angry because nobody helped me to reach the gate on time," he wrote. "I'm grateful to be alive."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-47519467

Don't rub people's faces in it too much mate, for fuck's sake. :?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:46 am

Aeritai wrote:What's with all of these plane crashes? If this keeps up people will never use air travel ever again.

Vastly reducing the amount of air travel would be a positive outcome. Though there have been aircrashes ever since we started passenger flights, so it is seems to have little effect as a deterrent.
Everything is intertwinkled

Great Eldaria
Diplomat

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Eldaria » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:53 am

Costa Fierro wrote:It doesn't seem like it, Boeing basically said "don't worry about it" so it could rush planes out of the factory to customers.

If these are true, there should be grounds for a massive lawsuit to be levied against Boeing.

Yep, that was what I was trying to imply, bad wording from me. It was at least the case with the Lion Air crash. After that crash FAA (and Boeing) had issued Airworthiness Directive to remind operators of how to deal with the runaway stabilizer, i.e. how to fix the problem. But it is not like that really helped though. How to solve the problem is burried deep in the operating manual, labeled as runaway stabilizer problem, that could happen to any aircraft, and not linked to the MCAS. It took the Lion air accident, for US pilot unions to realize what was happening. In the US at least, pilots are now fully aware on how to deal with the issue, but only thanks to the awarness of what the MCAS is, and how it is able to controll the stabilizer. I personaly at least, don't know what kind of follow-up other operators have had with their pilots.

On 20 November, Boeing was to hold a conference call with 737 Max operators to detail the new MCAS not present in the Next Generation models. But the conference call was cancelled later, to be replaced by a series of regional calls to "allow more questions".

So at least for the Lion Air crash, Boeing is pushing stuff under the carpet, bit terrifying... Regarding the Ethiopian accident, we don't know if it has anything with the MCAS to do yet. We can only speculate.

(You guys know that Boeing was possibly involved in cover up of the Boeing 737 rudder issues. "Walz, of Parker Bertea, was assigned to hand-carry the servo valve to Irvine. John Calvin, the quality-control engineer from Boeing, instructed an assistant to pack up the parts. According to court records, the assistant left the room and returned with a taped package, which he handed to Walz, who carried it on a flight to Southern California. When Walz opened the package that afternoon at the Parker Bertea plant, he discovered that three servo-valve parts were missing: a spring, spring guide and end cap. Boeing, citing ongoing litigation, has never explained why those three parts were left out of the package forwarded to Irvine.")
Last edited by Great Eldaria on Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:08 am

a Greek man has said that he was due to board the flight but arrived at the gate two minutes late.

In a Facebook post, Antonis Mavropoulos shared an image of his ticket and said it was his "lucky day".

"I was angry because nobody helped me to reach the gate on time," he wrote. "I'm grateful to be alive."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-47519467

Don't rub people's faces in it too much mate, for fuck's sake. :?

It's only natural if one's way to cope with such a life-changing incidence is to share it to others. The guy was - and probably still is - in an emotional rollercoaster while he wrote this.
Last edited by Baltenstein on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

The East India Trade Federation
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The East India Trade Federation » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:17 am

Wow Boeing, you killed my Aviation and Defense stock

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:45 am

The Archregimancy wrote:I've just discovered that one of our colleagues from the Norwegian Red Cross was on the plane.

https://twitter.com/rodekorsnorge/statu ... 7012136961

Condolences.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Alorgaze
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 04, 2018
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Alorgaze » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:55 am

Oh well, Rest in Peace to all the passengers on board.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General